OT: 2018 Football Thread: Camp is (almost) here!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
We all just had a back and forth where we all disagreed but did so without making blatantly dishonest points. Some of us even used EVIDENCE to back up our ideas or admitted if we lacked it. Amazing. Frame this convo on the wall HF. There are times I thought "Man Allen could be a pro bowler easy" and others I thought "He will simply fail to develop and end up being a part of some miserably under performing offenses before becoming a career backup"

We've generally had good discussions on here. I think the NFL thread may be the best thread on HFNYR in terms of good discussions.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Saquon Barkley has the most disproportionately swole quads I've seen on an NFL player. It's almost comical. It's like a cartoon where someone stuck a bike pump on his legs.
XHkJ79kwUWn0Iz7ZeoE-3cnp0P2y9kP5zzqLI0fzkok.jpg

Reactions: Rangers in 7

MrEctions

Willy Nilly
Apr 24, 2007
Clinton, Ny
I agree it's possible that Allen will end up being better. I just really doubt it. I also think Buffalo was the only team left that would take Allen over Rosen. meaning they could've waited longer and traded less value and still got their guy. Again, totally not anything I can say with evidence but that's my thoughts after looking at the talents and thinking about the teams.

It was made very clear Arizona wanted to move up for Allen and had him above Rosen as well. Buffalo had better assets to get the deal done, and the Cards settled for Rosen. Rosens attitude problems obviously did not sit well with many teams. Kids super talented, but has just as many question marks as the other QB's. Concussion, attitude, frame etc etc. Hes the most pro-ready right now for sure, Ill give him that. Though I do think Darnold and Allen end up being the best of the QB's in this draft.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
It was made very clear Arizona wanted to move up for Allen and had him above Rosen as well.
It was? To who? I never heard that before.

Assuming you're right I'd like to point out that simply having a team want to move up for a player may not mean all that much. I remember discussion about how a team wanted to move up for Mcilrath. That didn't work out too well for the team that drafted him. So even IF your Arizona rumor (fact? Is this confirmed by Arizona?) is true there's still the "I don't feel Allen was worth it" half of my opinion

Rosens attitude problems obviously did not sit well with many teams.

Hmm, idk if I can say it was obviously anything specific.

What if it was just teams falling in love with Allen's measurements and not team's having a problem with Rosen's "attitude"?

What if it was his concussions and not his attitude?

Don't get me wrong I'm open to the idea that Allen ends up better but if I had to bet, i'd bet against it

MrEctions

Willy Nilly
Apr 24, 2007
Clinton, Ny

Assuming you're right I'd like to point out that simply having a team want to move up for a player may not mean all that much. I remember discussion about how a team wanted to move up for Mcilrath. That didn't work out too well for the team that drafted him. So even IF your Arizona rumor (fact? Is this confirmed by Arizona?) is true there's still the "I don't feel Allen was worth it" half of my opinion

Gimme a bit and Ill find it. I had read it numerous times just got to go digging when i get a minute tonight. Like I said I think Rosen is the most polished pro ready guy this year. But I think Darnold and Allen will be the more successful guys in the long run.

MrEctions

Willy Nilly
Apr 24, 2007
Clinton, Ny
Cardinals wanted Josh Allen over Josh Rosen, tried to trade up to get Allen

Actually just found that. I had seen it in other places as well, but theres one mention to support it.

“They tried to trade for Josh Allen,” Simms said on his radio show. “Everything I know is that the No. 5 pick with the Broncos, the trade was in place, and it was with Arizona. And then (Bradley) Chubb was on the board and (team president John) Elway wasn’t willing to do that.
“The Arizona Cardinals were heartbroken they didn’t get Josh Allen.”

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

MrEctions

Willy Nilly
Apr 24, 2007
Clinton, Ny

Hmm, idk if I can say it was obviously anything specific.

What if it was just teams falling in love with Allen's measurements and not team's having a problem with Rosen's "attitude"?

What if it was his concussions and not his attitude?

Don't get me wrong I'm open to the idea that Allen ends up better but if I had to bet, i'd bet against it

Of course it could be those things. This is all mostly conjecture anyways. There is a reason Rosen dropped from where he was thought to go. I tend to lean towards attitude/drive issues. Whether or not his heart is actually in football is a major concern that "could" have scared teams away. Allens measurables and arm talent are droolworthy, but can he fix his footwork issues? It looks like he has put a ton of work to do just that, but lets see what happens when the bullets are flying. All of these guys had questions coming in. Darnold and his fumbles/turnovers were a concern. Baker had concussions, and height as an issue. None of them were perfect by any means. Based on purely physical attributes I liked Allen and Darnold more than the others, but that is just my own opinion and could very well end up being wrong.

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Cardinals wanted Josh Allen over Josh Rosen, tried to trade up to get Allen

Actually just found that. I had seen it in other places as well, but theres one mention to support it.

“They tried to trade for Josh Allen,” Simms said on his radio show. “Everything I know is that the No. 5 pick with the Broncos, the trade was in place, and it was with Arizona. And then (Bradley) Chubb was on the board and (team president John) Elway wasn’t willing to do that.
“The Arizona Cardinals were heartbroken they didn’t get Josh Allen.”
I wonder if Simms source is correct?

Definitely up in the air what was going on. There were tons of reasons to go Allen over Rosen and vice versa, that's for sure. I've rarely been this intrigued to watch how a QB class develops.

If every QB taken becomes a pro bowler and they all take turns winning the Super Bowl for the team that drafted them then I'll be a very happy person (bc Darnold and the jets lol)

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Sounds like there was a bit of a kerfuffle. Snacks and Hernandez got into it at practice. Solder's leg got rolled on trying to break it up, but he's good.

Everyone who hates Brendan Smith now hates Snacks, right? :)

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
Just give me the damn ball!

"Enter Keyshawn Johnson, a former Buccaneers receiver who at one point was so disruptive he was sent home for the rest of the season with pay, has chimed in, aggressively.

“When I saw [the Jameis report] I thought, ‘Man, you just can’t stay out of trouble,'” Johnson said on KSPN 710, via JoeBucsFan.com. “And there’s something, and I’m not a doctor, nor do I plan on being, but there’s something wrong with you. If this is in fact true, the fact that you keep coming up with some type of sexual behavioral problems towards women, there’s something wrong mentally. I don’t care what anyone says. There’s something wrong.” " Keyshawn Johnson says 'there's something wrong mentally' with Jameis Winston

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
What's Saquon's cap hit and where does it rank among league RBs right now? I'm seeing 5.6m and 8th in the league, but not sure if accurate. NFL Running Back Spending - Cap

Anyway, this is just going back to the 'issue' with drafting Saquon that high. Thrilled he's a Giant, not thrilled that he gets that $. That's all it really comes down to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad