Prospect Info: 2018 Development Camp [June 28 thru July 2]

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Does it look to anyone else like Makar's put on considerable bulk in those videos? I mean that in a good way, he looks like he has was more meat on that frame now. And the best part is it's had no effect on his agility, either.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Maybe I haven’t watched enough Hughes, but I always came away with the feeling Makar was a better skater(not by much) but Hughes was the better player. But I don’t watch nearly as much junior hockey as others so.

Makar has explosiveness over Hughes, but that is really it. Makar's 3rd-4th step are phenomenal and allow him to pick up speed in a very deceptive way. Hughes has a better top gear, agility, first step, pivots, etc... With absolute certainty, his pivots are the best I've ever seen from a draft year player. Even beyond that, he is a player that doesn't lose a touch of his skating ability with the puck. Makar is a damn good skater, but he is a step back from Hughes. Hughes is just elite there and will be a top 5 skater in the NHL... maybe better.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
AJ said it was an ankle, not a concussion. I don't know who to believe. Wish we could get just one credible reporter covering this team for once.

Timmins did an interview with Moser on the radio earlier today so if I had to guess I'd say ankle is more likely. He probably wouldn't be around and available if he had a concussion but who knows for sure.

LandoClog

Mar 26, 2012
California
AJ said it was an ankle, not a concussion. I don't know who to believe. Wish we could get just one credible reporter covering this team for once.

AJ seems to be pretty reliable. He seems to care as well but im sure information is just hard to come by.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Timmins did get a probable concussion in the OHL finals but that was over a month ago. If he still suffers from it, I'm not sure why they would fly him to Denver.

It's possible the symptoms are light but they don't want him on ice.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
So many aspects to skating ability. For example, a guy like Sam Girard has insane top speed but I don't know if anyone in the league (yes, I'm counting McDavid) can accelerate as explosively as MacKinnon, nor do I think anyone can make skating look like walking better than Kotkov.
Exactly its a very subjective thing . Maker is faster than Hughes on the fly .
He also didn't skip the combine like he was entitled.

Reactions: Leopain

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Timmins did get a probable concussion in the OHL finals but that was over a month ago. If he still suffers from it, I'm not sure why they would fly him to Denver.

It's possible the symptoms are light but they don't want him on ice.

Hopefully they are handling things with an overabundance of caution. I believe the hit that caused his concussion occurred on May 11.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Perhaps a silver lining, I know that others have indicated that Moser interviewed Timmins today, so between that and him flying to the event, perhaps he is not doing that bad. It may just be caution. The Avs saw him in camp last year and he almost made the team, so I don't believe that his non-participation in the development camp is viewed as an issue.

He also missed several weeks in February-March with a high ankle sprain, so why push it?

Reactions: Kschey

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Time will tell with Makar vs Hughes. I think they are similar level prospects with not much separating them. And sure Hughes had the better statistical season as freshmen (though it is difficult to compare college stats in different programs and different conferences even and draw sound conclusions) but in a best in best tournament, Makar looked another level IMO. Now, Quinn is a year younger and could easily look just as good or better this season in the WJC but I really think Makar is the better and more ready prospect as of right now (if not in terms of overal prospect upside)...which is to be expected with the age difference.

Reactions: New Scotlander

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Perhaps a silver lining, I know that others have indicated that Moser interviewed Timmins today, so between that and him flying to the event, perhaps he is not doing that bad. It may just be caution. The Avs saw him in camp last year and he almost made the team, so I don't believe that his non-participation in the development camp is viewed as an issue.

He also missed several weeks in February-March with a high ankle sprain, so why push it?

It's probably a good sign. The Avs generally don't make injured players available to the media, with very few exceptions.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
18A67CAD-E542-489F-9F9E-C3B3FCCEAF19.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad