Prospect Info: 2018 Development Camp [June 28 thru July 2]

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Alright, so here's my thoughts, player by player, for guys who stood out:

Makar: All right, I officially was wrong about Makar, I know it was just a scrimmage but seeing him live made a big difference. He attacks with serious tempo and defends more than competently. One more year of college and he'll be ready to step into a top 4 NHL role.

As for his shot, live I didn't see it as a muffin at all. He's got a short release, and while there isn't much velocity on it in the air, it comes out of nowhere, and he changes the angle by pulling it into his body very quickly and naturally. I'm also not convinced he's trying to score every time, either. He sent it low through traffic a lot, so I think he shoots for rebounds, which IMO is a smart way for a defenseman to think. Rebounds cause chaos and opportunities in front of the net, I hope that philosophy holds true in the pros.

Kaut: Man, do I like him. Poise, poise, poise everywhere. Scored a breakaway goal at one point with a silky backhand five-hole move. He played with confidence and looks every bit the part of a blue chip forward prospect. There is also no chance in hell he is only 174 pounds. He has some meat on that frame already when you see him live.

Morrison: Speaking of shots, Morrison's wrister is pretty dreadful. You can see it coming a mile away, and it was no threat at all. Way too slow to get it off. Overall does not look the part of a D+2 player.

Francouz: Frankie was a brick wall in goal, not much got by him. He looked to be very in control, and with a lot of the action in close to the net he was quick to find the puck. He also has an extremely active stick and made a lot of poke checks, often into traffic, to get it out of harm's way. It's unusual to say the least. Perhaps @Gigantor The Goalie can comment on how effective that strategy is.

Annunen: I was also really impressed with Annunen. He made some great sprawling second effort saves and uses his angles well. I'm hardly an expert on goalies but what I saw seemed really strong.

Ranta: He's very aggressive and takes a lot of shots. Not all of them hit the net but he's very much a shoot-first player. Moves well too, but hard to figure out his vision in a 3 on 3 scrimmage.

Wiess: Played with a ton of confidence, and cut to the front of the net a lot to get chances. You can see how crafty he is, he's just as willing to slow the play down a bit to find a pass as he is to attack. Certainly wasn't shy about going into traffic despite being a featherweight.

O'Connor: I liked him a lot, his seasoning at DU really shows and he got a lot of dangerous chances and at least two goals. He jumped out with good plays a bunch of times.

Breton: Stood out several times with good defensive and offensive plays. He seemed to read the play really well away from the puck, and he was responsible for a lot of changes in possession.

Anderson: I kind of struggled to get a read on him. He made some good and some bad plays on both sides of the puck. Lost a battle in front of the net that led to a goal at one point. Otherwise it was tough to figure him out.

Shvyrev: He's a really smart passer, made some sharp plays through the neutral zone and kept trying to set people up with cross-ice lasers. Even if most of them didn't connect, they were certainly put right where they should be in tight spaces.

Kovalenko: His skill really stands out, and he has a sneaky good shot. Tries to pick the corners a lot, and succeeded once. Won the shootout portion with a nasty backhand move, almost the way MacKinnon approaches shootouts with a ton of stickhandling moves as he comes in close.

Kotkov: Just can't fathom why he wasn't drafted, I hope the Avs get a contract on him. Got a lot of skill and he makes a habit to be in the right spot to take passes. His skating would probably be a detriment on bigger ice (slow) but that's nothing that can't be fixed.

Lewis: Dangerous everywhere, attacks in a lot of different ways. He seems like more of a goal scorer than a playmaker. I can see what they like about him.

Smirnov: He kept trying to beat the defensemen one on one and never managed it. His feet just don't allow him to be as nimble as his hands are.

The defensemen invites didn't impress me at all aside from Breton. Dime a dozen sorts. That gave a lot of (possibly unearned) opportunities to the forwards which is why the write up was heavy on them.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Alright, so here's my thoughts, player by player, for guys who stood out:

Makar: All right, I officially was wrong about Makar, I know it was just a scrimmage but seeing him live made a big difference. He attacks with serious tempo and defends more than competently. One more year of college and he'll be ready to step into a top 4 NHL role.

As for his shot, live I didn't see it as a muffin at all. He's got a short release, and while there isn't much velocity on it in the air, it comes out of nowhere, and he changes the angle by pulling it into his body very quickly and naturally. I'm also not convinced he's trying to score every time, either. He sent it low through traffic a lot, so I think he shoots for rebounds, which IMO is a smart way for a defenseman to think. Rebounds cause chaos and opportunities in front of the net, I hope that philosophy holds true in the pros.

Kaut: Man, do I like him. Poise, poise, poise everywhere. Scored a breakaway goal at one point with a silky backhand five-hole move. He played with confidence and looks every bit the part of a blue chip forward prospect. There is also no chance in hell he is only 174 pounds. He has some meat on that frame already when you see him live.

Morrison: Speaking of shots, Morrison's wrister is pretty dreadful. You can see it coming a mile away, and it was no threat at all. Way too slow to get it off. Overall does not look the part of a D+2 player.

Francouz: Frankie was a brick wall in goal, not much got by him. He looked to be very in control, and with a lot of the action in close to the net he was quick to find the puck. He also has an extremely active stick and made a lot of poke checks, often into traffic, to get it out of harm's way. It's unusual to say the least. Perhaps @Gigantor The Goalie can comment on how effective that strategy is.

Annunen: I was also really impressed with Annunen. He made some great sprawling second effort saves and uses his angles well. I'm hardly an expert on goalies but what I saw seemed really strong.

Ranta: He's very aggressive and takes a lot of shots. Not all of them hit the net but he's very much a shoot-first player. Moves well too, but hard to figure out his vision in a 3 on 3 scrimmage.

Wiess: Played with a ton of confidence, and cut to the front of the net a lot to get chances. You can see how crafty he is, he's just as willing to slow the play down a bit to find a pass as he is to attack. Certainly wasn't shy about going into traffic despite being a featherweight.

O'Connor: I liked him a lot, his seasoning at DU really shows and he got a lot of dangerous chances and at least two goals. He jumped out with good plays a bunch of times.

Breton: Stood out several times with good defensive and offensive plays. He seemed to read the play really well away from the puck, and he was responsible for a lot of changes in possession.

Anderson: I kind of struggled to get a read on him. He made some good and some bad plays on both sides of the puck. Lost a battle in front of the net that led to a goal at one point. Otherwise it was tough to figure him out.

Shvyrev: He's a really smart passer, made some sharp plays through the neutral zone and kept trying to set people up with cross-ice lasers. Even if most of them didn't connect, they were certainly put right where they should be in tight spaces.

Kovalenko: His skill really stands out, and he has a sneaky good shot. Tries to pick the corners a lot, and succeeded once. Won the shootout portion with a nasty backhand move, almost the way MacKinnon approaches shootouts with a ton of stickhandling moves as he comes in close.

Kotkov: Just can't fathom why he wasn't drafted, I hope the Avs get a contract on him. Got a lot of skill and he makes a habit to be in the right spot to take passes. His skating would probably be a detriment on bigger ice (slow) but that's nothing that can't be fixed.

Lewis: Dangerous everywhere, attacks in a lot of different ways. He seems like more of a goal scorer than a playmaker. I can see what they like about him.

Smirnov: He kept trying to beat the defensemen one on one and never managed it. His feet just don't allow him to be as nimble as his hands are.

The defensemen invites didn't impress me at all aside from Breton. Dime a dozen sorts. That gave a lot of (possibly unearned) opportunities to the forwards which is why the write up was heavy on them.

Thank you

Welcome to the real Makar fan club lol

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Never been happier to be wrong. :dunce:

Seeing him defend, and how he seems to use his IQ at both ends of the ice in person was eye opening. I really love how he doesn't always seem to have a need to make the highlight real play either. His instincts for when to go, and when to keep it simple really stand out.

That's why I think hes going to be more of a Ryan Suter/Duncan Keith than an EK65 or Klingberg/Ghost/Barrie IMO. Which gives him a better shot at being able to be a #1 than having to hit some lofty OFD numbers like 60-70 points with just passable defense.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Thanks McMetal Really appreciate it.

Your write up on Kaut and Francouz are very encouraging as well. I was hoping before the draft that Kaut could be a target for the Avs. Glad I was right. Kovalenko is another darkhorse for me.

If we trade for Karlsson Makar has better not be part of the deal.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Also, somebody dressed their four year old in an Avs Duchene jersey and an Ottawa hat. That was a high point.

Reactions: madman

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
If Breton and Kotkov look as good as has been reported, sign them up. Nothing like a free prospect to brighten up the day.

I was excited about Kotkov right it was announced he was coming to our camp. First thing I posted in this thread. Seems like he is off to San Jose’s camp now and has another one after that. Will make a decision after, I suppose. Would love to add him to the Eagles.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I was excited about Kotkov right it was announced he was coming to our camp. First thing I posted in this thread. Seems like he is off to San Jose’s camp now and has another one after that. Will make a decision after, I suppose. Would love to add him to the Eagles.
Kotkov plays in the Q, he can't go to the AHL yet. We can give him the Lewis treatment though and give him an ELC and send him back to Chicoutimi/Russia for a couple years just so he's our property. Would have been way easier to just draft him in the 7th... We could have even kept the Russian streak going.

Breton can go to the AHL right away though, he's 20 and done in the Q.

Last edited:
Reactions: RoyIsALegend

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Kotkov plays in the Q, he can't go to the AHL yet. We can give him the Lewis treatment though and give him an ELC and send him back to Chicoutimi/Russia for a couple years just so he's our property. Would have been way easier to just draft him in the 7th... We could have even kept the Russian streak going.

Breton can go to the AHL right away though, he's 20 and done in the Q.

Can always try the old "he was loaned to his QMJHL team" bit. Probably send him back for another year in Chicoutimi then for his DY+2 use the loan reasoning to jump him into the AHL early if need be. If they try and bring him in now to the pro's he'd just end up in Utah.

Also I was able to watch the 3v3 game via the BR stream that was posted and it just looked like Francouz was toying with them regarding his poke checks and everything. I wouldn't be surprised to know he likes using an active stick but in this situation it looked like he was just testing how much he could get away with. From when he got in net to when he switched with Annunen, it was obvious Francouz was a KHL Goalie of the Year playing among U22 players. It was a sharp contrast to Petr Kvaca at the other end of the rink who looked like a total rookie. Seeing the difference between the two makes me comfortable in waiting to give Kvaca his ELC.

Anyways thanks for the report above!

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Do you guys think that Kaut can make it this season after playing mens ? Also thank you @McMetal was hoping to get some prospect review but you really did describe everyone thanks !

Reactions: McMetal

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Do you guys think that Kaut can make it this season after playing mens ? Also thank you @McMetal was hoping to get some prospect review but you really did describe everyone thanks !
If all goes well m he could be called up for the last half of the season . Maybe even sooner

Reactions: Spilot23

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
If he is having success in the AHL and sustains it for half a season or so, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get called up.
I agree his game and just him in general seem mature. He has a big frame and as someone alluded to earlier , I believe he's bigger than 176 .

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I don't see anything about Bowers. Didn't he participate in on-ice sessions or just wasn't really good?
Yes, he was there. I wouldn't say he wasn't good, but he didn't really jump out at me either. Had a breakaway during the 3 on 3, missed it. I just didn't really notice him much.

Reactions: raistlin76

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Avs left Rantanen in the AHL despite being well over a PPG there. I think they'll be patient with Kaut as well.
True but the team was out of the playoffs in November so they really didn't have a reason to call him up .

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
True but the team was out of the playoffs in November so they really didn't have a reason to call him up .

Actually that was the year we were out of playoffs in the final week and traded for Bodker/Matthias to try and get us in. The year we were out of playoffs stupidly early was the next season and it was where Rantanen lead the team in goals.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Actually that was the year we were out of playoffs in the final week and traded for Bodker/Matthias to try and get us in. The year we were out of playoffs stupidly early was the next season and it was where Rantanen lead the team in goals.
Oh geez that's right , my bad , yes there were discussions of calling him up to help the playoff run . Thanks for the reminder :thumbu:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad