Prospect Info: 2018 Development Camp [June 28 thru July 2]

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
While the concussions hurt Hishon, he probably wouldn't have been a NHLer anyway. Guy just was unable to put on any weight and not quick and shifty enough to play in the NHL at 170 lbs.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
The 3v3 tournament is tonight. 5:30 mountain time. Fun event on the second last day of camp.

I hope we get some good reports.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
So who's going to be in FoCo for the tournament? I'll be the fat guy in the Landeskog jersey if anyone wants to say hi!

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Sakic on Timmins

He’s started working out. We wanted to keep him off the ice just to make sure there weren’t any setbacks. He’s slowly getting better. He’s able to do more and more every day.

Those first two sentences had me relieved it was just a precaution, but then the last two got me a little worried again. He's still feeling symptoms and can't do things almost two months after the hit.

Sounds like he should hopefully be ok soon, but it's worrisome seeing another prospect like Hishon and Bigras deal with concussion symptoms for an extended period of time.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Be extra careful, Avs. This kid's going to be extremely good.
Sure, but this isn't the first time of him getting absolutely destroyed. Belzile completely obliterated him in the Burgundy and White game just last year as well. Everyone gets hit in their career and sometimes they're hard hits like Orlov on Duchene, but Timmins hasn't even had an NHL game and has been destroyed - it shows he might have to learn to keep his head up at the vulnerable times.

Reactions: agentblack

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Sure, but this isn't the first time of him getting absolutely destroyed. Belzile completely obliterated him in the Burgundy and White game just last year as well. Everyone gets hit in their career and sometimes they're hard hits like Orlov on Duchene, but Timmins hasn't even had an NHL game and has been destroyed - it shows he might have to learn to keep his head up at the vulnerable times.
Absolutely.

superswitz

Oct 13, 2017
there's a stream shared on twitter by nathan and other burgundy rainbow peeps if others are looking for something to watch, has some nice commentary

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So... anybody going tonight?

I’d be all over this if I lived in Denver.
FoCo is 65 miles from Denver alone (where majority of people actually do not live, so it's longer drive from the suburbs). It's in the middle of effin nowhere, so not sure why they planned to do it there and why I didn't go.

Watched the stream from BR. Kaut and Makar looked like they had the most talent, Kaut showed that experience of playing against men. Makar got like a million breakaways and didn’t finish on majority of them - dude has a muffin of a shot. Kovalenko looked solid from the other prospects, very shifty and dynamic with the puck. Perhaps @McMetal can confirm these once he gets home.

Last edited:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
FoCo is 65 miles from Denver alone (where majority of people actually do not live, so it's longer drive from the suburbs). It's in the middle of effin nowhere, so not sure why they planned to do it there and why I didn't go.
I'm from Boulder, so it's only about 55 minutes by highway. I think they really wanted to promote the Eagles and that's why they had it up there, because there was Eagles stuff everywhere, and the programs had stars next to players who were going to be in the AHL next year.

I had a good time. I was sitting right in front of the Burgundy Rainbow people. I'll post some impressions when I get home.

Reactions: agentblack

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Watch the stream from BR. Kaut and Makar looked like they had the most talent, Kaut showed that experience of playing against men. Makar got like a million breakaways and didn’t finish on majority of them - dude has a muffin of a shot. Kovalenko looked solid from the other prospects, very shift and dynamic with the puck. Perhaps @McMetal can confirm these when he comes home.

I think that's mostly due to this being an informal scrimmage in July. His wrister and slapper are both pretty good.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I think that's mostly due to this being an informal scrimmage in July. His wrister and slapper are both pretty good.
I would say his shot and slapper are accurate, but still really weak. It doesn't make sense to me, how he lead all freshmen with shots generated in the entire nation and only scored five goals. It shows that he needs to improve it because the potential is there.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I would say his shot and slapper are accurate, but still really weak. It doesn't make sense to me, how he lead all freshmen with shots generated in the entire nation and only scored five goals. It shows that he needs to improve it because the potential is there.

I think his shot has some room for improvement with his consistency, but because of his natural talent it's still a strength.

I say this a lot, but I really don't think his play in college should be used as much of a measuring stick for him. The style of play just doesn't suit him the way it does other players. I don't think he gets the kind of high quality scoring chances he generates with a more up tempo NHL style of play.

This is why he looked so much more comfortable playing at the WJC IMO, and tied for the lead among all defenseman in the tournament with 3 goals in 7 games with shots like this.

Reactions: AdrianTheMagician

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I think his shot has some room for improvement with his consistency, but because of is natural talent it's still a strength. I say this a lot, but I really don't think his play in college should be used as much of a measuring stick for him. The style of play just doesn't suit him the way it does other players. I don't think he gets the kind of high quality scoring chances he generates with a more up tempo NHL style of play.

This is why he looked so much more comfortable playing at the WJC IMO, and tied for the lead among all defenseman in the tournament with 3 goals in 7 games with shots like this.

I knew you would bring that goal up which is why I said the potential is there. I actually agree that particular shot is absolutely superb, but that's just one shot. To make yourself known as a goalscorer as Wahlstrom did in the most recent draft class is score those type of goals all the time. All we have from Makar is one shot where it showed all the characteristics it needs to be at in the NHL (though you understand this when you said consistency). It needs to happen more than one time because the rest were goals from the point with screens where I labelled it as accurate.

You might be right in theory for the rest of your post concerning gamestyles/tempo. I am not saying you're wrong, but we'll have to wait and see until that is true or not. However, the lack of high-end scoring chances can also result from having a weak shot as well, just sayin'.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I knew you would bring that goal up which is why I said the potential is there. I actually agree that particular shot is absolutely superb, but that's just one shot. To make yourself known as a goalscorer as Wahlstrom did in the most recent draft class is score those type of goals all the time. All we have from Makar is one shot where it showed all the characteristics it needs to be at in the NHL (though you understand this when you said consistency). It needs to happen more than one time because the rest were goals from the point with screens where I labelled it as accurate.

You might be right in theory for the rest of your post concerning gamestyles/tempo. I am not saying you're wrong, but we'll have to wait and see until that is true or not. However, the lack of high-end scoring chances can also result from having a weak shot as well, just sayin'.

I don't disagree, but it's worth reminding that he's a 19 year old defenseman. His shot isn't gonna be the same as a forward at this stage, because he doesn't spend as much time working on it in practice, and especially in games. That's why the talent and ability to make that shot is there, but the consistency isn't quite there yet. That's normal though.

If you think about Barrie in comparison, his shot isn't particularly wicked either. He sends a fair amount of pucks right into the bread basket of goalies, but when he gets his shot totals up like he did last year, they start to go in. He didn't have a particularly strong slapper from the point either until last season, where he seemed to really improve on it.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->