NFL GDT: 2018 AFC Divisional Round: (2) New England Patriots vs (5) Los Angeles Chargers

nelac

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I just don't trust the NE offense, they have no weapons. Gronk is done, all they have is Edelman. I don't watch their games if I don't ave to but I saw Buffalo twice mostly shut that offene down. The Chargers have more offense than the Bills. Brady's numbers are actually average this season. Kind of dropping in some areas. I think it's going to be close. I just think the magic is over for this reign. Regardless this is probably the best game.

pockets

Thank you, Bill!
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
I just don't trust the NE offense, they have no weapons. Gronk is done, all they have is Edelman. I don't watch their games if I don't ave to but I saw Buffalo twice mostly shut that offene down. The Chargers have more offense than the Bills. Brady's numbers are actually average this season. Kind of dropping in some areas. I think it's going to be close. I just think the magic is over for this reign. Regardless this is probably the best game.
Pats scored 436 points this season which was 4th most in the league while at home they scored 32.9/g which is 3rd in the league. They may not have star players but saying they have no weapons is actually inaccurate.

As for Brady’s numbers, they’re not too far off from last year when he won MVP:

2017: 4577 yards, 66.3%, 32 TD and 8 INT
2018: 4355, 65.8%, 29 TD and 11 INT
And in terms of QB rating his 97.7 from this year is better than his rating in 4 of 5 of his Super Bowl winning seasons.

As for Buffalo almost shutting down the Pats offense, the Bills gave up 387 and 390 yards in those two games respectively including 273 yards rushing in the second game, I wouldn’t exactly call that shutting them down.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
You are judging them against themselves. Most people are guilty of that. And I would even admit that they dont look or feel like a typical Patriots team, but with that said, if the Miami miracle doesnt happen you are looking at another 12-4 1 seed Patriots team and everything is status quo. This Patriots team is far from perfect and I wouldn't bet on them getting to the SB but I dont see this being the week they go down.

Reactions: pockets

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Pats scored 436 points this season which was 4th most in the league while at home they scored 32.9/g which is 3rd in the league. They may not have star players but saying they have no weapons is actually inaccurate.

As for Brady’s numbers, they’re not too far off from last year when he won MVP:

2017: 4577 yards, 66.3%, 32 TD and 8 INT
2018: 4355, 65.8%, 29 TD and 11 INT
And in terms of QB rating his 97.7 from this year is better than his rating in 4 of 5 of his Super Bowl winning seasons.

As for Buffalo almost shutting down the Pats offense, the Bills gave up 387 and 390 yards in those two games respectively including 273 yards rushing in the second game, I wouldn’t exactly call that shutting them down.

Yards are very overrated. They scored 25 points(one touchdown) and I think 24 the second time. In today's NFL that's low scoring. You also had them struggle for the most part with GB. They got schooled by a lousy DET team. Games like the shootouts in Chicago and against KC are point padders. Bad defense helps that. I mean I just named 2 games where they have almost 1/4th of their points scored and combined I think they won each by a total of 10 points.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
You are judging them against themselves. Most people are guilty of that. And I would even admit that they dont look or feel like a typical Patriots team, but with that said, if the Miami miracle doesnt happen you are looking at another 12-4 1 seed Patriots team and everything is status quo. This Patriots team is far from perfect and I wouldn't bet on them getting to the SB but I dont see this being the week they go down.

Doesn't that say more about a weak AFC? It's unfortunate we still have divisions because the Chargers have the 2nd best record/ The win against the Texans was the difference between this game and playing last Saturday. You also can't forget they got almost half their wins against a division of sub .500 teams, that certainly helped them out. I don't know if any of these teams are on the rise, I don't love Allen but Buffalo seems the closest. Miami is getting a new coach and may ditch the average Tannehill.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Regardless of the result I'm starting to wonder how long Brady has left. He has looked unBrady-like this year.
I'm quite certain the big drop is next year. He dropped off big time at the end of last season, however because of a strong performance in the super bowl (which was only his 3rd game in 5 weeks) nobody talks about it.

The pattern with Brady this year and last is the more he plays the more he declines.

In his 3 games immediately preceding the bye this season he only threw 1 TD and had a QB rating of 84.5. After the bye he strung together 3 consecutive strong performances before fading again (he did have a strong performance in week 17 though against the hapless Jets though).

Brady needs the bye and the rest that comes with it. He wears down and requires all the rest he can get.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
That pick against the Steelers was telling. That wasn't something he does. Taking the sack at the end of the half in Miami was also not like him. Things happen sure but these stick out.
Yes exactly this. Those two plays stand out in my mind - especially the pick vs. Pittsburgh - that just made no sense.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I'm quite certain the big drop is next year. He dropped off big time at the end of last season, however because of a strong performance in the super bowl (which was only his 3rd game in 5 weeks) nobody talks about it.

The pattern with Brady this year and last is the more he plays the more he declines.

In his 3 games immediately preceding the bye this season he only threw 1 TD and had a QB rating of 84.5. After the bye he strung together 3 consecutive strong performances before fading again (he did have a strong performance in week 17 though against the hapless Jets though).

Brady needs the bye and the rest that comes with it. He wears down and requires all the rest he can get.

Yeah, he just doesn't seem the same. Even in the Super Bowl, that fumble cost them the game. I thought they should have opened the drive with a run just to mix things up and gain some positive yards right away.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
The Chargers are far and away New England's toughest test in recent years in the AFC Divisional Playoffs.

No more Osweilers or Tebows. Philip Rivers is the real deal.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
One thing you have to consider also is this might be it for Gronk. Gronk wasn't even good this year. Gronk became as good of a safety blanket as any QB could have. You could have argued with the way he and Jimmy Graham are used and line up that they really should be WRs. I do think Gronk extended Brady's career a few years to be relevant. His presence made the dink and dunk small receiving game work.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

I don't know if it was just me but this year for Brady reminded me a lot of Manning in 2014. The year end stats looked quite fine but plenty of red flags that were mostly ignored(and injury speculation) mixed in with flashes of greatness. Manning's decline that year was much more linear but thought it was interesting nonetheless.

As for the game, that's a tough one. Home field ain't no joke, especially that home field, and things may seem to be lining up for an easier Patriots path, but the Chargers were the better team this year and IMO the most complete team in the AFC.

Kel Varnson

Oct 31, 2017
Pats were still undefeated at home though and the Chargers are still the Chargers.

Except this Chargers team has proven all season that they're nothing like those past teams.
The only game this season that resembled past iterations of the Chargers was the loss to Denver when they allowed the broncos to hang around all game with costly mistakes and eventually lost on a walkoff field goal.
They were simply outclassed by KC and the Rams early on and played their worst game of the season vs Baltimore but were still in the game late.
If they were anything like last year's team or others of the past they don't get that strip sack to close the game and instead allow the Ravens to march down the field and win the game.

Now I'm not saying they haven't come close but every time they've managed to come through and get the win.

Foxborough is a different beast and there is an obvious coaching mismatch but other than that the Chargers matchup well vs the Pats. It'll be close

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Tom Brady is 41 and soon to be 42 in August. The fact that he is still (IMO) a top 10 QB in this league is remarkable. And still being able to do it with a below average receiving corps around him.

His career is coming to an end, it's inevitable. I don't believe he'll play much longer, but he's a weird guy. He may actually want to try and play until 45.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Tom Brady is 41 and soon to be 42 in August. The fact that he is still (IMO) a top 10 QB in this league is remarkable. And still being able to do it with a below average receiving corps around him.

His career is coming to an end, it's inevitable. I don't believe he'll play much longer, but he's a weird guy. He may actually want to try and play until 45.
He'll play until he's 45.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad