Prospect Info: [ 2018 - 71st] Jordan Harris (NCAA - Northeastern University)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomTask26

Jan 6, 2020
Here's where all the prospects stand -

Euro -

Dichow - season over, team didn't make playoffs
Gordin - injured most likely, teams in 1st round of MHL playoffs
Ikonen - missed the last few, back in the lineup today, they have 14 more games after today. His team is in a very tight race for the playoffs, as they sit in 7th place (6 teams make it, but 8th to 3rd are separated by just 4 pts)
Olofsson - plays today, has 1 more game left after today then the playoffs start, if they win they will face the last place SHL team to try and get promoted next year, his team has dominated Allsvenskan this year.
Norlinder - plays tomorrow, has 4 games left before the playoffs, Frolunda has slipped from 1st place to 7th place, but only 1 pt back of 5th. if they finish between 7th-10th then they are in the play ins, as a best of 3 series, the 2 winners then advance to the regular playoffs.

NCAA -

NCHC- Biondi's team finished 3rd and plays Saturday in the playoffs, it used to be a best of 3 but due to covid they are doing single elimination games. They get Western Michigan. winners play on the 15th and then the NCHC championship game is on the 16th. Due to his team being ranked so high they are a lock for the NCAA tournament on the 26th/27th no matter what.

Big 10 - Caufield/Gorniak, since their team won the big 10, they play Monday at 4:30 pm EST, vs the winner of Notre Dame/Penn St series. If they win they play in the Big 10 Championship game on the 16th at 8 pm. They are a lock for the NCAA tournament on the 26th/27th no matter what.

Hockey East- Harris/Struble, play Sunday at 4:30 pm vs UMass, they must win to have any hope of making the NCAA tournament. If they lose their season is over.

Tuch will play Sunday at 1 pm vs Lowell, they will be in the NCAA tournament no matter what.

USHL -

I'm not sure what they are doing for Clarke Cup playoffs this year, the season ends in April.

WHL - Guhle's season starts tonight.
Fairbother's season starts in one week.

OHL - still waiting for official start
Wow, it’s possible Harris gets signed as soon as next week. If that happens, even after a 14 day quarantine, he could get a decent amount of games in Laval. That would be exciting

Edit - sometimes CHL players are signed to play in the AHL after their season ends (even if they have to go back to the CHL the next season). That’s not possible for NCAA, right?

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Wow, it’s possible Harris gets signed as soon as next week. If that happens, even after a 14 day quarantine, he could get a decent amount of games in Laval. That would be exciting

Edit - sometimes CHL players are signed to play in the AHL after their season ends (even if they have to go back to the CHL the next season). That’s not possible for NCAA, right?

NCAA players can't go back to the NCAA after signing, but they can sign and finish the season in the AHL if they're willing to call it a wraps on their NCAA career, which is what Harris is probably leaning towards.

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
kinda hoping Northeastern get eliminated to get Harris over here.
Why? He isn't going to make a difference to the NHL team this year, and probably not for a couple years more. Let them maximise their college experience. Pro hockey will be a long grinding road ahead for at least a decade, with no guarantees. He'll have his college achievements for the rest of his life, regardless of his pro career.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Why? He isn't going to make a difference to the NHL team this year, and probably not for a couple years more. Let them maximise their college experience. Pro hockey will be a long grinding road ahead for at least a decade, with no guarantees. He'll have his college achievements for the rest of his life, regardless of his pro career.

He's a very good prospect and I'm not so sure that he is that far away. He hit the NCAA circuit and was a star right away and I think there's a chance with some Laval time that he could be an option for us where our blueline is thin on defenseman who can skate/move the puck and do so under pressure with poise.

He's already had the win with Primeau as a starter.. there's not really much they're gonna be able to do this year, they just aren't as good. Laval presents the next level of his development.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
kinda hoping Northeastern get eliminated to get Harris over here.

it should be a tough game, Northeastern has been pretty good but have had to play their backup goalie in every game due to Devon Levi getting injured at the WJC's. I heard he was close to returning but don't know if he will play Sunday or do they just go with the backup who's been pretty solid for having to step into the starters role but hasn't been great either aside from the odd game here and there.

UMass is going to the NCAA tournament no matter what, they have had a good program these last few years, both teams are well coached so it should be a lot of fun. Even if they beat UMass I don't know if that will be enough to get in unless of course they win the HE championship and then they get an auto bid anyway.

They will either win or they won't, I just hope both prospects play well. I'm very interested to see if Harris will sign though, not saying he won't, just will be very happy if he does as going back to NU would be bad news.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So Harris gets jobbed, as he was named to the Hockey East 2nd Team All Stars.

here's me telling Hockey East they got it wrong,

Drew Helleson - 19-4-10-14 8 pims, +21
Jordan Harris - 18-6-13-19 8 pims -3

now keep in mind BC has been ranked 1 or 2 most of the season in the NCAA, they have one of the best goalies, one of the all time greatest coaches in college hockey.

That said it was the coaches that voted for it.

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
it should be a tough game, Northeastern has been pretty good but have had to play their backup goalie in every game due to Devon Levi getting injured at the WJC's. I heard he was close to returning but don't know if he will play Sunday or do they just go with the backup who's been pretty solid for having to step into the starters role but hasn't been great either aside from the odd game here and there.

UMass is going to the NCAA tournament no matter what, they have had a good program these last few years, both teams are well coached so it should be a lot of fun. Even if they beat UMass I don't know if that will be enough to get in unless of course they win the HE championship and then they get an auto bid anyway.

They will either win or they won't, I just hope both prospects play well. I'm very interested to see if Harris will sign though, not saying he won't, just will be very happy if he does as going back to NU would be bad news.
There aren't a lot of reasons for him to sign with the Habs given their depth at his position. He can offset a year of AHL earnings by collecting an extra 10 games of NHL wages. He'd be competing for those games with the likes of Mete, Struble, Guhle, Fairbrother, etc, along with the established vets. I'm sure there would be an easier path to NHL playing time elsewhere with a new team coming into the league. A year from now he can auction his services and pick his destination, particularly if he has a dominant senior year. I don't imagine he's dying to spend his next couple years in Laval Que. earning construction wages until the Habs ship him off in a trade deal for a vet or draft pick.
From the team pov, they already have more players in the system than they can put on the ice, and aren't going to break the bank for another LD prospect who won't be at the top of their list anyway.

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
Hope we see him in the American hockey league at the end of his NCAA season.
Second Team conference All Star as a Junior isn't a major accomplishment. I'm sure he could get a better offer by playing another season and hopefully gathering some personal hardware. Either with the Habs or elsewhere.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Second Team conference All Star as a Junior isn't a major accomplishment. I'm sure he could get a better offer by playing another season and hopefully gathering some personal hardware. Either with the Habs or elsewhere.

isn't there a rookie cap? wouldn't we offer him the maximum?

Also, he may want to turn pro right away, to jump at the chance, get the ball rolling, pursue his development in a more challenging environment.

Players often feel loyalty to the team that drafted them - because they were drafted by that team, they feel wanted by that team as opposed to other teams that passed them over.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
There aren't a lot of reasons for him to sign with the Habs given their depth at his position. He can offset a year of AHL earnings by collecting an extra 10 games of NHL wages. He'd be competing for those games with the likes of Mete, Struble, Guhle, Fairbrother, etc, along with the established vets. I'm sure there would be an easier path to NHL playing time elsewhere with a new team coming into the league. A year from now he can auction his services and pick his destination, particularly if he has a dominant senior year. I don't imagine he's dying to spend his next couple years in Laval Que. earning construction wages until the Habs ship him off in a trade deal for a vet or draft pick.
From the team pov, they already have more players in the system than they can put on the ice, and aren't going to break the bank for another LD prospect who won't be at the top of their list anyway.

1. He is one of our top LD prospects (#4 behind Romanov, Norlinder and Guhle).
2. He can play RD.
3. Chiarot and Kulak have 1 more year left and then they need replacement. If they don't get picked in the ED.
4. Leskinen and Olofsson are both without a contract next year and can be let go if space in Laval is a problem.
5. Guhle is another year away from the AHL and 2-4 from the NHL.
6. Struble is still another 1-2 year away from the AHL.
7. Norlinder is also another year away since his SHL contract is not finished.
8. Construction worker average salary is around 40-50k. He would make 70k plus his signing bonus.
9. The only other incoming Ds next year are Fairbrother and maybe Leguerrier and he is easily better than both of them.

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
isn't there a rookie cap? wouldn't we offer him the maximum?

Also, he may want to turn pro right away, to jump at the chance, get the ball rolling, pursue his development in a more challenging environment.

Players often feel loyalty to the team that drafted them - because they were drafted by that team, they feel wanted by that team as opposed to other teams that passed them over.

True, but as I mentioned in another thread, Canadiens have exceptional prospect depth at his position, and the NHL contract value is meaningless until you play NHL games. Otherwise I think it's a flat 70k per year max in the minors. He would be better off to play another year, dominate, get his degree, wait for the offers, and go somewhere where he has a quicker path to NHL playing time. But I have no idea what his priorities are.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
True, but as I mentioned in another thread, Canadiens have exceptional prospect depth at his position, and the NHL contract value is meaningless until you play NHL games. Otherwise I think it's a flat 70k per year max in the minors. He would be better off to play another year, dominate, get his degree, wait for the offers, and go somewhere where he has a quicker path to NHL playing time. But I have no idea what his priorities are.

I basically agree with this. But we're not that great at LD aside from Edmundson. There's no one in the system that seems poised to move Romanov over to the left side.

Harris basically has to beat out Kulak to get on the NHL roster.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I basically agree with this. But we're not that great at LD aside from Edmundson. There's no one in the system that seems poised to move Romanov over to the left side.

I agree. I don’t think it would be that much of a stretch for Harris to make the NHL next year given our LD position.

Trading for Ekholm if that happens might change things but we’ll see.

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021

There are 5 players on the NHL roster who's primary position is LD, and a couple in the AHL with NHL experience. Norlinder has a couple pro seasons under his belt in Europe, with Struble and Guhle knocking on the door. Upcoming draft is defense loaded at the top, and the Habs are trending towards a higher draft pick. I don't fancy Harris' chances, near term or long term.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
There are 5 players on the NHL roster who's primary position is LD, and a couple in the AHL with NHL experience. Norlinder has a couple pro seasons under his belt in Europe, with Struble and Guhle knocking on the door. Upcoming draft is defense loaded at the top, and the Habs are trending towards a higher draft pick. I don't fancy Harris' chances, near term or long term.

Every team on the league has LD's on their roster and in their system.

We could use the cap space from moving a Chiarot or Edmundson (seems Chiarot would be better to move). If he can't beat out Kulak and Mete, well that says a lot.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I agree. I don’t think it would be that much of a stretch for Harris to make the NHL next year given our LD position.

Trading for Ekholm if that happens might change things but we’ll see.

Also, if we trade for Ekholm, he'll either leave in a year or will be re-signed. If he re-signs, his cap hit will be high and we'll need lower cap hits to balance out the roster.

But I think it's a long shot for us to outbid the other 30 NHL teams for Ekholm.

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
Every team on the league has LD's on their roster and in their system.

We could use the cap space from moving a Chiarot or Edmundson (seems Chiarot would be better to move). If he can't beat out Kulak and Mete, well that says a lot.
Harris is a very similar player to Mete, and Victor had a full year of NHL experience at Jordan's current age. What makes you think think he would jump Mete on the depth chart?

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Harris is a very similar player to Mete, and Victor had a full year of NHL experience at Jordan's current age. What makes you think think he would jump Mete on the depth chart?
Because he might simply adjust better to the NHL. No player A = player B is true.

There are no crystal ball but from what I've seen of Harris he might have more upside than Mete as he is better with the puck on his stick and smarter.

Does that mean he will be better now in the NHL? No. But it is not a race.

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Because he might simply adjust better to the NHL. No player A = player B is true.

There are no crystal ball but from what I've seen of Harris he might have more upside than Mete as he is better with the puck on his stick and smarter.

Does that mean he will be better now in the NHL? No. But it is not a race.

Was literally about to post the same thing. Harris has much better hockey IQ and I also see more offensive upside there.

I think he could become a good 2nd pairing Dman that can chip in 30ish points a year.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
The habs need to sign him. Probably only one or two of their five or six prospects will make it. Keep them all until they know which ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig