Prospect Info: [ 2018 - 71st] Jordan Harris (NCAA - Northeastern University)

Status
Not open for further replies.

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
Its dumb, hell never be a goalscorer. The same thing was said of Hughes and look at him, barely scraping past Mete. He'd be better off practicing passing, stickhandling or even defensive drills.
Makar scored 16 goals in 41 games as a 20 yo in HE. Harris is on pace for 14 in as many games. Not a huge difference.

Reactions: Nick Slafkofield

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
On the subject of Makar, Kaiden Guhle was far more prolific offensively at the same level and age in Alberta Midget AAA. Kaiden 39 points in 39 games vs. Makar with 24 points in 40 games. Guhle also put up way more offense than Jake Sanderson who was playing in the same league at the same time as he was, before Guhle went to the WHL and Sanderson to the NTDP. I can’t get with the opinions that Guhle will be strictly stay at home defender as a pro.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
On the subject of Makar, Kaiden Guhle was far more prolific at same level and age in Alberta Midget AAA. Kaiden 39 points in 39 games vs. Makar with 24 points in 40 games. Guhle also put up way more offense than Jake Sanderson who was playing in the same league at the same time

the problem with that is it's hard to project off that, Makar wasn't all that impressive his Freshman year then his Sophomore year he breaks out and looks outstanding and never looks back. It's all about the progress they make over time, some take off, some peak, projecting who will and won't is clearly not easy.

I like what i've seen in the little i've seen from Guhle but would need to see a lot more to get a feel for the offensive upside. I've seen a ton of Harris, many will tell you how high i've been on him since his Freshman year, he's a hard guy to project because the lack of size/strength but has been so impressive since day 1 of his NCAA career, that IQ, poise to go with his skating/mobility, there's no telling how good he can be. I got shit for saying he could even have top pairing upside, since he's been a top pairing D at 18 on a top 15 or so program, you just don't see that often in the NCAA.

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
the problem with that is it's hard to project off that, Makar wasn't all that impressive his Freshman year then his Sophomore year he breaks out and looks outstanding and never looks back. It's all about the progress they make over time, some take off, some peak, projecting who will and won't is clearly not easy.

I like what i've seen in the little i've seen from Guhle but would need to see a lot more to get a feel for the offensive upside. I've seen a ton of Harris, many will tell you how high i've been on him since his Freshman year, he's a hard guy to project because the lack of size/strength but has been so impressive since day 1 of his NCAA career, that IQ, poise to go with his skating/mobility, there's no telling how good he can be. I got shit for saying he could even have top pairing upside, since he's been a top pairing D at 18 on a top 15 or so program, you just don't see that often in the NCAA.
For the most part player's offensive production relative to their position and age group remains consistent as they move up levels, that's been my observation. Guhle put up points in the WHL last season at about the same rate as Sanderson with the NTDP, but somehow Jake is perceived as being more offensively skilled. I don't get it

Last edited:

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Clearly thats what Im doing.

Or I'd rather he improves in other more menaingful areas. Harris is never going to be a goalscorer, why work towards him scoring 5 goals rather than 2.

Most players work on their strengths. The best ones work on their weaknesses, like Crosby with faceoffs. Harris has a bunch of tools already, it would take a lot to improve his skating, and if he makes big changes he could go backward. He's got room to improve with his shot and physicality; improvement in both would make him a much better prospect.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Most players work on their strengths. The best ones work on their weaknesses, like Crosby with faceoffs. Harris has a bunch of tools already, it would take a lot to improve his skating, and if he makes big changes he could go backward. He's got room to improve with his shot and physicality; improvement in both would make him a much better prospect.
I personally think shooting is a skill thst takes too much ressources to get actually good at, you can make technique adjustments that will make you better but that wont make you go from bad to good, barely average, especially at 20.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
I’m fine with a sneaky wrister in traffic for a deflection or a cross ice pass ala Markov. No need to riffle a shot at 90mph to be effective. His wrister looks stronger than last year.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I’m fine with a sneaky wrister in traffic for a deflection or a cross ice pass ala Markov. No need to riffle a shot at 90mph to be effective. His wrister looks stronger than last year.

Obviously, but the thing is, Markov scored a great majority of his goals on the back door with empty nets, not sure you need much of a shot for that, it shouldn't really matter, same as Metes shot, IDGAF about them if theyre good elsewhere.

Reactions: Acadien86

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Obviously, but the thing is, Markov scored a great majority of his goals on the back door with empty nets, not sure you need much of a shot for that, it shouldn't really matter, same as Metes shot, IDGAF about them if theyre good elsewhere.

I don’t think he’s gonna be Markov as his offensive IQ was off the chart. Created lots of empty net goals on the PP, whether he’d score or make the pass. He could read plays like no other. Harris has top notch IQ himself but not close from Markov in the o-zone. I think Harris brings more on the table than Mete. Better shot, IQ, size, defensive game, passing.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I don’t think he’s gonna be Markov as his offensive IQ was off the chart. Created lots of empty net goals on the PP, whether he’d score or make the pass. He could read plays like no other. Harris has top notch IQ himself but not close from Markov in the o-zone. I think Harris brings more on the table than Mete. Better shot, IQ, size, defensive game, passing.
Yeah for sure, Markovs pretty untouchable IQ wise, but with his feet and IQ, Harris can still have some lite-Markov impact IMO.

Reactions: Acadien86

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az

From what I've seen from Guhle he's too stiff to be an offensive type player. But a NHL type D who uses his body and is good defensively. Nothing wrong with that.
And size and strength are so much less important as a D in the NHL IF you can make it up with skating and smart play. Just look at Hughes in Vancouver. He's build like a willow stick. Not saying Harris is Hughes but theres always room for really smart good skating players in the NHL. Look at Mete. Very little offensive I.Q. but great skater and understands positioning.

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
From what I've seen from Guhle he's too stiff to be an offensive type player. But a NHL type D who uses his body and is good defensively. Nothing wrong with that.
And size and strength are so much less important as a D in the NHL IF you can make it up with skating and smart play. Just look at Hughes in Vancouver. He's build like a willow stick. Not saying Harris is Hughes but theres always room for really smart good skating players in the NHL. Look at Mete. Very little offensive I.Q. but great skater and understands positioning.
Look at how guys like Weber and Chara started out though. Guhle looks like Erik Karlsson compared to those two when they were playing in the WHL. There are different ways to produce offense. A lot is simply ice time and opportunity.

Reactions: azcanuck

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I didn't watch all the game yet, will finish it tomorrow and post a vid but real disappointing loss, that puts their hopes at making the NCAA tournament in real trouble as they were on the bubble to begin with according to some things i've seen as we don't exact know how they are picking teams this year due to covid. Of course if they win in the playoffs they are in as every team that wins their conferences championship gets an auto bid.

Reactions: Sagikev and dralaf

Sagikev

Chadstudsky
Sep 16, 2018
I didn't watch all the game yet, will finish it tomorrow and post a vid but real disappointing loss, that puts their hopes at making the NCAA tournament in real trouble as they were on the bubble to begin with according to some things i've seen as we don't exact know how they are picking teams this year due to covid. Of course if they win in the playoffs they are in as every team that wins their conferences championship gets an auto bid.
Any chances he joins Laval once his season ends?

HabsMD97

Jun 30, 2014
king's landing
why is Makar being brought up? he only played 2 seasons in the NCAA, Harris is in his 3rd, whatever he does this year is not comparable to anything Makar did

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
why is Makar being brought up? he only played 2 seasons in the NCAA, Harris is in his 3rd, whatever he does this year is not comparable to anything Makar did
Makar was nearly a year older when he went to the NCAA, and he came from a higher level of competition to get there. I think there comparables, at least in terms of size, playing style, and production at the same age at the same level. Cale had 1.2 PPG in the same conference as a 20 yo. Harris at 1.1 this season. They were similar as 19 yo as well.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

not that i would compare them in terms of skill but,

both were in their age 20 season, Makar turned 20 2 or so weeks into the season, Harris turned 20 3 months before the season was set to start.

Harris if he kept up this ppg, which I don't think he would, if he played the 41 games Makar played at his current 1.13 ppg would put up 46 pts, 3 less then Makar.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Jordan Harris named as part of the semifinal list for the Walter Brown Award, which is given to the best American-born Division I hockey player in New England.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sagikev
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad