Prospect Info: [ 2018 - 71st] Jordan Harris (NCAA - Northeastern University)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I do think Harris has more offensive upside than Romanov, though neither will be big point producers. Romanov more physical and I think will be better defensively, but Harris is a lot rawer. He's made huge improvements in 2 years. If he has another jump like that I could see him passing Romanov but too early for that now.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Meant Generaly, I have always been high on him, but people don't see him over Struble, Norlinder and Romanov, but I do see him over Romanov

I had Harris ranked over everyone but Caufield, Primeau and Romanov at the start of the season.

Prospect Info: - My Top 20 (Update post #179)

Top 25

1. Cole Caufield
2. Caden Primeau
3. Alexander Romanov
4. Jordan Harris
5. Mattias Norlinder
6. Ryan Poehling
7. Josh Brook
8. Noah Juulsen
9. Jesse Ylonen
10. Jayden Struble

Impressive goaltending.

just wanted to point out that the goal was scored on the backup who hadn't played in weeks. In the NCAA since you play mostly just every Fri/Sat teams don't have strong backups. The starter got pulled after NU rattled off a few quick goals.

I rather Harris stay for one more NCAA year as well. How good is his NCAA team suppose to be next year? That might have a factor

They have a good program and a good coach, but the big question for them will be in net as they haven't been the same since losing Primeau and now will need to find another replacement next year.

The lower rung is always what will be set as the likeliest to be achieved. So for our most talented D prospects projection is 2nd pairing.

What do you see as his ceiling ? Are there limitations ( and strength and mass are not limitations as boys grow into men ) such that 2nd pairing is as good as he can get, except for the .1% anything can happen possibility ?

his ceiling is top pairing D, I don't think he reaches it though and i don't think he has the offense to be a top pairing D as his shot is just not very good.

That said what he's done is very impressive as I follow the NCAA closely for many years and you just don't see that many 18 year olds at top 10-15 programs end up on the top pairing but not only did he but he was a +21 though that stat was likely inflated due to Primeau.

What you have is someone with great skating/mobility that's very smart and poised. He just never seems to panic and very rarely makes a mistake. But strength and mass are a concern as he might have the frame that doesn't have the ability to add much mass but we'll see. He's got to get stronger to give his shot more life but he is smart at getting his shots though.

Him and Jake Evans....2 guys that I saw as super longshots to ever make it. So far so good for Jake to make me eat some crow. Once he's established, JH might give me some Double Crow extra ketchup to eat.

Harris will easily make the NHL, just a question of how good he'll be and if he can stick there or not.

1 big goal that was kind of an accident and now he's better than Romanov?

it has nothing to do with last night. Harris had a very good Freshman year but needed to work on his offense, this year he's been one of the highest scoring U-20 blueliners in the NCAA.

Only 1 U-20 blueliner in the NCAA would have more points then him if last nights goal counted but the 2 bean pot games don't count as regulation games.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/league/ncaa/stats/2019-2020?position=d&age=u20

NUhockey

Jul 6, 2010
Boston
At this checkpoint it's within reason to see him becoming a good 2nd pair dman.

@montreal nails it with the assessment. One thing I would like to add is that his defensive technique is advanced. He's very good at neutralizing players on the rush without being super physical, and it will be interesting to see how that translates to play against bigger guys.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Another year there (maybe as captain?) along with Struble could do wonders for future chemistry too.

Also I don't think either Harris or Romanov will be clear cut 1st pairing LHD, I see both of them as a 1B/2A type, but they could surprise. I'd rather have 2 top 4 LHD tho than the **** show we have right now on the left side. Thing is both Petry and Weber will either be gone or declining once the youngsters are ready to play a significant role lol, we need young RHD badly.

I actually think we have lots of 2nd line quality forwards and top 4D guys. We are missing a young star (who knows how good Suzuki will be) but I do like drafting that star later in the rebuild vs early.

Expect some more movement (up/down) with our prospects moving forward. Probability due to quality and quantity is working in our favor. I've been saying that since December of 2017 now and it's tracking to be true

Reactions: jaffy27

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
At this checkpoint it's within reason to see him becoming a good 2nd pair dman.

@montreal nails it with the assessment. One thing I would like to add is that his defensive technique is advanced. He's very good at neutralizing players on the rush without being super physical, and it will be interesting to see how that translates to play against bigger guys.

Your last point is key to him taking the next step forward... How he handles less time and space and more physical players after he turns pro.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I had Harris ranked over everyone but Caufield, Primeau and Romanov at the start of the season.

Prospect Info: - My Top 20 (Update post #179)

just wanted to point out that the goal was scored on the backup who hadn't played in weeks. In the NCAA since you play mostly just every Fri/Sat teams don't have strong backups. The starter got pulled after NU rattled off a few quick goals.

They have a good program and a good coach, but the big question for them will be in net as they haven't been the same since losing Primeau and now will need to find another replacement next year.

his ceiling is top pairing D, I don't think he reaches it though and i don't think he has the offense to be a top pairing D as his shot is just not very good.

That said what he's done is very impressive as I follow the NCAA closely for many years and you just don't see that many 18 year olds at top 10-15 programs end up on the top pairing but not only did he but he was a +21 though that stat was likely inflated due to Primeau.

What you have is someone with great skating/mobility that's very smart and poised. He just never seems to panic and very rarely makes a mistake. But strength and mass are a concern as he might have the frame that doesn't have the ability to add much mass but we'll see. He's got to get stronger to give his shot more life but he is smart at getting his shots though.

Harris will easily make the NHL, just a question of how good he'll be and if he can stick there or not.

it has nothing to do with last night. Harris had a very good Freshman year but needed to work on his offense, this year he's been one of the highest scoring U-20 blueliners in the NCAA.

Only 1 U-20 blueliner in the NCAA would have more points then him if last nights goal counted but the 2 bean pot games don't count as regulation games.

Elite Prospects - NCAA Stats 2019-2020

More pieces of the future Dcore coming to fruition:

Romanov Brook
Harris Fleury
Mete Juulsen* (hpefully he finds a remedy for his headaches)

Hopefully Struble, Norlinder, and Fairbrother also progress.

Reactions: jaffy27

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I do think Harris has more offensive upside than Romanov, though neither will be big point producers. Romanov more physical and I think will be better defensively, but Harris is a lot rawer. He's made huge improvements in 2 years. If he has another jump like that I could see him passing Romanov but too early for that now.
I dont think Harris is rawer at all. In fact I think Romanov is still raw and will get much better. I think Romanov has rare awareness on the defensive side. I havent seen a kid close the gap as well in a long time. But his game will still grow. His ceiling is higher in my opinion then Harris. Both are not offensive dynamos but you'll see growth there too. Nevertheless, along with Struble this is a very exciting threesome coming up. Struble could surpass both of them but he's still very raw.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
What a crazy tight race it is in the Hockey East this year, that conference is stacked, which hopefully bodes well for Harris, really sucks that Struble will miss out on the race to the playoffs, the playoffs and maybe the NCAA tournament.

So there are 11 teams in the HE, 2 flat out suck in Vermont and Merrimack. UMass is at the top with 24 pts, the entire rest of the conference is separated by just 3 pts. Northeastern is at the bottom of those 3 pts with 19. They have 7 games left and only 2 are easy (Vermont) the rest are vs BC, BU and Lowell (Hainsey's old team) It's making for a great race to the playoffs.

Now only 8 teams make the playoffs in the HE (other conferences all teams make the playoffs, each conference has it's own rules) So NU will need to beat out one team to make it in. The top 4 teams get home ice in the best of 3 series, right now BU holds that 4th spot with 21 pts.

Reactions: larrypacman8167

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
Northeastern's coach Jim Madigan said that he's got a commitment from Harris for next season.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Three people were approached for this story: the coach, a journalist that covers the team and a NCAA scout for a different team and they all agree that Montreal might be getting a bargain based on where he was picked. Scout says he'd be drafted in 2nd round now in a re-draft. Although there are no stats to back it up, it is estimated that his average time on ice was around 25 minutes this year, logically that means he faced other team's top lines. He played in all situations and his consistency improved this year. He was more comfortable in joining the play, playing the puck or defending. His coach says he's an elite skater. His coach is confident that he can still improve offensively. He is expected to be their go to guy at the point on the PP. Scout says he doesn't see him as an offensive contributor at the next level, more of a guy who will occasionally contribute. Says right now it's 70% D and 30% O. Could become 60/40 if he makes progress. Scout and journalist agree that him going back is the right decision. They mention Josh Manson who stayed 3 seasons in the league instead of turning pro right away. Coach says there is more to gain from Harris staying than Primeau back in the day. Scout reminds the reader that Harris was liked as a prospect in his draft year because he didn't really have any flaws in his game. He suggest to be cautious about expectations and that he still doesn't see a top pair guy or even a #3. Just a guy who can eat minutes for his team. That being said, he says if he was part of his organization, he'd be really excited.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Harris will be the #1 D next year now that Shea is gone (graduated). I hope they go with a Struble Harris pairing as their coach said in the article about how Struble is and can learn from Harris about not rushing things. Harris just seems to have zero panic in his game, almost always makes the right move it seems.

Reactions: 26Mats

canadiensnation

Jun 11, 2011
GTA
Five intriguing Canadiens prospects: Struble, Harris 'will be good NHL players' - Sportsnet.ca
"The tangible jump, I would say, was that there was so much more poise and patience to his game," he said. "As a freshman, he played a lot of minutes for us. He was 20 minutes a game as a freshman. But he’s come back as a sophomore knowing he was going to play a lot more, and he knew how to manage the game and situations better. So, he incorporated more patience to his game — knowing when to carry the puck, when to support the rush versus lead the rush. His overall disposition on the ice and his overall patience and game management improved very much from his freshman to his sophomore year. And if you were evaluating him as a freshman, you’d know he was very good. But with another year under his belt, more was expected of him and he rose to those expectations."

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
they don't track TOI in the NCAA anywhere that I know of but have said in the prospect thread there were games that I watched that it seemed like he was on every other shift at times. Being able to play either side and be effective at both helps as like Romanov he could be at RD one shift and LD the next. Harris mostly played RD since being at NU but you don't notice any difference in his game on either side. Kid just has tons of poise and IQ. Have been saying he will be an NHLer for sure, and that the Habs are knee deep in D prospects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad