Speculation: 2018-2019 Trade rumors thread Pt 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I have a hard time figuring out why anyone would want to trade Henrique. They signed him to reasonable extension not much more than half a year ago, and despite the whole team looking like a dumpster fire all season Henrique is the guy who's managed to look *ok*. I think he would be better suited to play wing, but he still has the ability to play center in a scoring role and he is good enough defensively as well. They are going to need a guy like that until Steel and Lundestrom are ready for the roles Murray probably envisions them to be.

Getzlaf probably has only a few good years left as a scoring line center and then they have the corpse of Ryan Kesler and Carter Rowney. It just doesn't make much sense to me to trade a guy like Henrique with that kind of center depth. He also plays a style of game that I think ages well in todays league since he isn't a banger like Kesler, Mike Richards etc. I actually wouldn't be at all surprised if he has a career year or two left in him.

Edit: Also for a team like the Ducks where players are constantly dropping like flies, Henrique's ability to stay healthy is a very nice thing to have.

I think the logic is similar to trading Rakell. The value in that extension is the first three years, the rest is a bit of a gamble. In a situation where you're looking at the team still being a playoff contender but rebuilding to that championship contender status, which can definitely happen very quickly, it's great to have. But in a situation where maybe it's more of a truer rebuild than you might like, where the team might be in the lottery for another year or two, it becomes more questionable. Maybe the recent jump in play is enough to convince Bob and others that this year was an anomaly and they'll be back in some way next year, then you keep him around, but it's fair to wonder if maybe the organization is better off getting that value now rather than betting he'll still be a good value when the team is back in that spot.

Also, moneys gonna be a factor. It's tough to imagine the Samueli's wanting to spend such a high percentage of the cap in transition years. The big three aren't going anywhere(well, maybe Perry, but probably not for a while at best), Gibson isn't going anywhere, Fowler probably isnt going anywhere and that takes you to Rico. It's a substantial salary that could be shed to keep costs down in the interim.

Reactions: Trojans86

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
People expecting Henrique to every carry an offensive line are out to lunch. That's not his role, it never has been(on a successful team), and it never will be(on a successful team) therefore he is paid accordingly. He is in the bottom tier of problems in terms of performance with this current roster.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
For the guys that want Silf traded: probably best to hope Ottawa can extend Mark Stone. Trade market could very well be fine if they dont but him off the market would mean wonders for Silf's value plus could also simultaneously kill any hope of an extension(although I'm not sure there's a ton of that anyway).

Reactions: Getz2perry

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Wishful thinking but I hope Ottawa re-signs both its players(with agreement they get traded at draft) and goes on a winning streak & denys Colorado the highest chance at Hughes, then at the draft trades both of them. Colorado could end up with both Hughes & Kakko the way things are going.

Would you go for Duchene if Ottawa signed him in condition he's traded ?

Oct 18, 2011
I have a hard time figuring out why anyone would want to trade Henrique. They signed him to reasonable extension not much more than half a year ago, and despite the whole team looking like a dumpster fire all season Henrique is the guy who's managed to look *ok*. I think he would be better suited to play wing, but he still has the ability to play center in a scoring role and he is good enough defensively as well. They are going to need a guy like that until Steel and Lundestrom are ready for the roles Murray probably envisions them to be.

Getzlaf probably has only a few good years left as a scoring line center and then they have the corpse of Ryan Kesler and Carter Rowney. It just doesn't make much sense to me to trade a guy like Henrique with that kind of center depth. He also plays a style of game that I think ages well in todays league since he isn't a banger like Kesler, Mike Richards etc. I actually wouldn't be at all surprised if he has a career year or two left in him.

Edit: Also for a team like the Ducks where players are constantly dropping like flies, Henrique's ability to stay healthy is a very nice thing to have.
Because he's signed to a big contract until age 35, our window is closed and that contract will only get harder to move.

He makes too much for what he brings to a non contending team

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Trade Miller to SJ ? Sharks are on the west coast & its not that long of a flight at all to go from bay area to LA & it gives him a chance to win a cup.

I wonder if SJ would offer up a 3rd ?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Wishful thinking but I hope Ottawa re-signs both its players(with agreement they get traded at draft) and goes on a winning streak & denys Colorado the highest chance at Hughes, then at the draft trades both of them. Colorado could end up with both Hughes & Kakko the way things are going.

Would you go for Duchene if Ottawa signed him in condition he's traded ?
No way Stone and Duchene don't get NTC or NMC in their next deal.

Also,the hold up on Stone's extension are front loaded bonuses. If Ottawa is having trouble giving 1 star a bonus filled front loaded contract, it is very unlikely they can give both stars a bonus filled deal

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
People expecting Henrique to every carry an offensive line are out to lunch. That's not his role, it never has been(on a successful team), and it never will be(on a successful team) therefore he is paid accordingly. He is in the bottom tier of problems in terms of performance with this current roster.

Paying $6m/year in cap hit for a long commitment on a forward who doesn’t produce offense is how you prevent yourself from ever becoming the successful team that can afford to use him in the lesser role he needs.

He’s not “paid accordingly”. He’s about to make way too much.

Sure, he’s less of a problem than Kesler or Perry, but that’s why he is a movable problem and they aren’t

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Trade Miller to SJ ? Sharks are on the west coast & its not that long of a flight at all to go from bay area to LA & it gives him a chance to win a cup.

I wonder if SJ would offer up a 3rd ?

That’s my hope. Tell Miller we’ll offer him a deal In free agency and see if he wants to chase a cup with another CA team. That leaves CJ as the backup for this year and let’s Boyle go back to SD for their playoff run.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Paying $6m/year in cap hit for a long commitment on a forward who doesn’t produce offense is how you prevent yourself from ever becoming the successful team that can afford to use him in the lesser role he needs.

Sure, he’s less of a problem than Kesler or Perry, but that’s why he is a movable problem and they aren’t
I disagree on the idea he isn't "paid accordingly." The cap has been increasing steadily every year and that is just what these guys are worth now. We have to look at deals as a % of the cap and not the dollars. Look at what guys like Bozak and Bonino got as well. Rico's contract is vastly overtated as being an issue.

Reactions: ShadowDuck

paine

Jun 4, 2007

Not sure if accurate. He said it was reported by Edmonton media.

Last edited:

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU

What do you think he would’ve fetched in the free agent market?

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
^ I'd be surprised if Bob is a fan of Ho Sang, values character so highly.

The ducks have a full time scout living on the East coast. His job is to attend as many games as possible, both NHL and below. I don't think you can read very much into which games the ducks have scouts at.

Reactions: Exit Dose

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Too many people get carried away with scouting this time of year. Scouts are doing what they do all year long. Nobody knows if a scout is at game X because of a specific trade possibility or because he was always going to be at game X based on his travel schedule that was drawn up 6 months earlier.

paine

Jun 4, 2007
Too many people get carried away with scouting this time of year. Scouts are doing what they do all year long. Nobody knows if a scout is at game X because of a specific trade possibility or because he was always going to be at game X based on his travel schedule that was drawn up 6 months earlier.

Not often do you have two VPs or hockey operations, two directors of player personnel, and one director of pro scouting attending a game, one week before the trade deadline.

There’s a big difference between the above, and a pro scout attending a game.

Reactions: Duck Off

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Not often do you have two VPs or hockey operations, two directors of player personnel, and one director of pro scouting attending a game, one week before the trade deadline.

There’s a big difference between the above, and a pro scout attending a game.

You're talking one game that still has no significance that can be directly identified. For sure some guys are going to be looking for potential trades. But the amount of attention given to scouts in attendance at any given game, this time of year, is over the top in typical HF fashion.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
You're talking one game that still has no significance that can be directly identified. For sure some guys are going to be looking for potential trades. But the amount of attention given to scouts in attendance at any given game, this time of year, is over the top in typical HF fashion.
No one is overreacting. How is thinking a team is showing interest in our players because they have scouts attending multiple games of ours in succession an overreaction?

Reactions: paine and gilfaizon

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
Unless the scouts are wearing t-shirts that say 'we're here to watch Ho-Sang' there's about 20 other guys they could be there to see. Murray loves minor deals. The Gulls are looking good and are gearing up for a playoff run. There is a likelihood we keep Jones and Terry up for the rest of the season and possibly at least one of Megna/Welinksi for the rest of the season.

I could definitely some reasons for our scouts to be there in preparation of something minor. I don't see Murray taking on Ho-Sang who is still a project RW when we already have a project RW in Sprong.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
No one is overreacting. How is thinking a team is showing interest in our players because they have scouts attending multiple games of ours in succession an overreaction?

HF overreacts to everything. All the threads and posts dedicated to who was seen at a game this time of year is a joke. You tell me which scouts wouldn't have been there anyway and maybe we can discuss any possible significance. Of course we will never know that so people just go nuts speculating about every possible reason somebody showed up to watch a game. Execs take in games all the time when they are out of town, even when they aren't at the game on official business. Without a baseline of who would or should be there to compare it to, we have nothing but wild speculation to go on. Enjoy it if you want, just don't twist yourself in a knot thinking there is meaning or significance to every tweet you see about who was at a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad