Speculation: 2018-2019 Trade rumors thread Pt 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Being a center is a big part of that equation, though, and the Canucks were deservedly ripped to shreds for that contract.

Cogs would undoubtedly get a similar contract on the open market, but like I said, that team would get ripped for it. It's a premium for a guy who's probably best suited for a fourth line role at this point.

I was going to post that and you saved me the trouble. I would add that Beagle is very good at face offs (valuable/premium skill), joined a young team with a ton of cap space (i.e., they were willing to overpay), and even then Beagle's contract was roundly considered an over payment. Beagle's prior contract, signed as a UFA, was 3 years at $1.75M/per year - the right amount for a team like the Caps looking to win with a capped roster. The Caps passed at $3M and I'm sure they are glad they did.

Edit: Another example. Chris Wagner - productive fourth line player who many around here really like. Signed a UFA contract for 2 years $1.25M per year.

Last edited:

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
You gotta figure Bob's getting a lot of calls. You gotta hope that given the current situation he puts any deals on hold (other than Silf or Rico at the TDL) until he better understands the youth of this team. His whole reason for becoming a rookie coach at 64 was to better understand the team/player dynamics. Hopefully, any deal(s) involving any of the young core would be pre draft deals based on having completed a full evaluation of the current team and the desired direction he wants to take the team. At least I hope that's what he's doing. :crossfing

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
**** Friedman for bringing up Montour as a trade target for the Leafs, and **** Murray if he's actually considering that.

+1. Especially because I know that Dubas is going to want to center it around Nylander. Do not let the Leafs out of jail in Cap Hell.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
You gotta figure Bob's getting a lot of calls. You gotta hope that given the current situation he puts any deals on hold (other than Silf or Rico at the TDL) until he better understands the youth of this team. His whole reason for becoming a rookie coach at 64 was to better understand the team/player dynamics. Hopefully, any deal(s) involving any of the young core would be pre draft deals based on having completed a full evaluation of the current team and the desired direction he wants to take the team. At least I hope that's what he's doing. :crossfing
I'd add Rico to the list of the 'do not move'. I do not trust that this team is going anywhere in the next couple of years with Getzlaf, Kesler, and Rowney as its centers.

Reactions: Doothpick

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I'd add Rico to the list of the 'do not move'. I do not trust that this team is going anywhere in the next couple of years with Getzlaf, Kesler, and Rowney as its centers.

I could live with Rico or Silf but probably lean toward Silf depending upon the deal. I think it would be bad to commit to both given their age and likely cost. But I'd like to see one go at the TDL.

paine

Jun 4, 2007

Trade Henrique or we’ll be stuck with a large, underperforming contract in a few years. And we’re not winning the cup between then.

Last edited:

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I could live with Rico or Silf but probably lean toward Silf depending upon the deal. I think it would be bad to commit to both given their age and likely cost. But I'd like to see one go at the TDL.
While I'd be sad to see Silf go, he should be shipped off at the deadline. We look safe at the wings. Center...even if we draft a really talented center or someone in the system pays off, that could take years for that player to get here and years for them to develop to the point where they make an impact.

Doothpick

9-1
Sep 15, 2008
I have a hard time figuring out why anyone would want to trade Henrique. They signed him to reasonable extension not much more than half a year ago, and despite the whole team looking like a dumpster fire all season Henrique is the guy who's managed to look *ok*. I think he would be better suited to play wing, but he still has the ability to play center in a scoring role and he is good enough defensively as well. They are going to need a guy like that until Steel and Lundestrom are ready for the roles Murray probably envisions them to be.

Getzlaf probably has only a few good years left as a scoring line center and then they have the corpse of Ryan Kesler and Carter Rowney. It just doesn't make much sense to me to trade a guy like Henrique with that kind of center depth. He also plays a style of game that I think ages well in todays league since he isn't a banger like Kesler, Mike Richards etc. I actually wouldn't be at all surprised if he has a career year or two left in him.

Edit: Also for a team like the Ducks where players are constantly dropping like flies, Henrique's ability to stay healthy is a very nice thing to have.

Last edited:

paine

Jun 4, 2007
Henrique is an average 2nd line center, and he's only going to decline. I'd rather not be stuck with that contract in 2-3 years.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Doothpick

9-1
Sep 15, 2008
Does Henrique look OK? I need more than ~38-point pace from my 2nd C, especially with scoring up all over the league.

Considering the crap they've put up this season, I'd say he is one of the players who I've been least disappointed with. He's also been asked to be the play driver of his line and he's more suited as a complementary guy. It isn't ideal he makes that money when he can't drive his own line, but with good players I have no doubt he can produce better numbers. I just think if you're going to trade him at the TDL or in the summer, you better acquire someone who can fill his role next season, and I have a hard time believing the kids are up for it.

Henrique is an average 2nd line center, and he's only going to decline. I'd rather not be stuck with that contract in 2-3 years.

What makes you say that? Nothing about his playing style would lead me to say that.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
Yeah, it's a shame that he can't carry all the offensive responsibilities of an entire line.

Or any offensive responsibilities at all.

We can’t continue with so many mediocre forwards making too much money and under contract for too long. He’s not one of the worst offenders, but he is a problem and one of the easiest ones to get out from under

Doothpick

9-1
Sep 15, 2008
Being less disappointing than all our other top-6 forwards isn’t the same as being not disappointing.

Well sure, but if you're going to start trading guys only based on this season, it's going to be a long list.

All I'm saying what's the rush trading from a position of weakness unless it considerably strengthens the team? If there are deals to be made where they ship off Rico and get better guy down the middle somewhere, sure, but I doubt that's in the cards right now.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
Well sure, but if you're going to start trading guys only based on this season, it's going to be a long list.

All I'm saying what's the rush trading from a position of weakness unless it considerably strengthens the team? If there are deals to be made where they ship off Rico and get better guy down the middle somewhere, sure, but I doubt that's in the cards right now.

With Henrique specifically, the rush is that this is the last chance to move him before a significant NTC comes into play, iirc

Doothpick

9-1
Sep 15, 2008
With Henrique specifically, the rush is that this is the last chance to move him before a significant NTC comes into play, iirc

It's a 10-team no trade list, which still leaves another 2/3 of the league where you can ship him off if need be. I'd rather take those chances than trade him for less than he is worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad