Speculation: 2018-2019 Trade rumors thread Pt 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
anyone who thinks Eaves/Kesler will be bought out is out to lunch IMO. We do not have owners that want to pay people to not play. We didn't even want to pay a second coach for the remainder of this year.

Kesler is not a cheap contract, neither is eaves.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
anyone who thinks Eaves/Kesler will be bought out is out to lunch IMO. We do not have owners that want to pay people to not play. We didn't even want to pay a second coach for the remainder of this year.

Kesler is not a cheap contract, neither is eaves.
Buying out a contract saves money in total. Why does everyone act like they 100% know what the owners are going to do in every situation.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
Buying out a contract saves money in total. Why does everyone act like they 100% know what the owners are going to do in every situation.
I didn't say i know what the owners are going to do. I said IMO as in IN MY OPINION.

I don't think its a large leap to say that the owners don't want to pay for a guy to not play when we wouldn't even hire a 2nd coach.

If it was a cheap contract, then sure maybe. But Kesler's and Eaves contracts are albatrosses. Plus they are LTIR candidates.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Looking at our roster and if we’re serious about some of these young guys getting roster spots next season; Shore and Silfverberg have to go. I assume Eaves will be bought out?

Which young guys seem nhl destined next year? Terry, Jones, and Comtois? Maybe Steel and Sherwood?
Terry/Jones/Comtois/Sherwood are a good base I'd say.

Personally I think Steel (and Lundestrom) need at least another year in the AHL.

Reactions: TheGoodShepard1

mightyquack

Apr 28, 2010
I didn't say i know what the owners are going to do. I said IMO as in IN MY OPINION.

I don't think its a large leap to say that the owners don't want to pay for a guy to not play when we wouldn't even hire a 2nd coach.

If it was a cheap contract, then sure maybe. But Kesler's and Eaves contracts are albatrosses. Plus they are LTIR candidates.
To be fair Despres was bought out 18 months ago despite having a relatively sizeable contract and Despres was/is even more of an LTIR then an Eaves or Kesler. If we're calling the Eaves contract an albatross then ownership certainly has a history of being able to buy out an albatross contract in that case.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California

I thought there was some indication in the letter from Henry to season ticket holders that the philosophy on this has changed.

I also don’t think avoiding another coach paycheck has anything to do with Murray being the interim coach.

Reactions: ShadowDuck

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
To be fair Despres was bought out 18 months ago despite having a relatively sizeable contract and Despres was/is even more of an LTIR then an Eaves or Kesler. And if we're calling the Eaves an albatross then ownership certainly has a history of being able to buy out an albatross contract in that case.
Was he given all of that money though? I think he and ownership made a deal for less than the worth of his contract because of whatever was going on behind the scenes.

mightyquack

Apr 28, 2010
Was he given all of that money though? I think he and ownership made a deal for less than the worth of his contract because of whatever was going on behind the scenes.
He ends up with about 5.5m instead of his remaining 14m according to his buyout. So that's certainly a sizeable chunk of change for a guy not to play (albeit it's only about 600k a season).

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I think he got 1/3 rather than 2/3 because of his age. As far as the owners allowing buyouts, Murray has a budget. As long as hes within that budget they are likely okay with how he spends it. It might make it harder to ask them for more if a deal becomes available that Murray likes but could cause him to exceed the budget. Buyouts are less then full salary spread out over twice the time. A Kesler buyout saves nearly 4 mil for the first 3 years. That helps the budget and gives them 3 years to figure out how to manage the budget going forward.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I think he got 1/3 rather than 2/3 because of his age. As far as the owners allowing buyouts, Murray has a budget. As long as hes within that budget they are likely okay with how he spends it. It might make it harder to ask them for more if a deal becomes available that Murray likes but could cause him to exceed the budget. Buyouts are less then full salary spread out over twice the time. A Kesler buyout saves nearly 4 mil for the first 3 years. That helps the budget and gives them 3 years to figure out how to manage the budget going forward.
I thought I read that the two parties agreed to more of a settlement situation, one in which was very different than a usual buyout.

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
An Eaves buyout is very affordable. Only about 2 million total to pay him (saves ownership 1 million) and that is spread out over two seasons. His production/roster spot can be filled by a younger player on an ELC contract and still saves a few bucks or is at least cap-neutral.

A Kesler buyout is not good whatsoever. It's way better to bank on him either being a productive depth player for another two seasons before a buyout, or bank on him ending up in LTIRetirement with a partially/mostly? insured contract.

A Perry buyout isn't great but would be doable. I don't see it happening since he still can play hockey and with a full offseason to rehab and a full training camp he should be back to being a productive player next year. For the sake of discussion, ownership would save 4 million and he'd carry a cap hit of 2.625 next season, 6.625 the season after, and 2 million for the two years following that. It's the spike in year two and the likelihood that he can still produce for another two years that would make this a tough move.

I know buyouts aren't a thing our ownership/management want to do, but Eaves' contract is gonna be bought out I think unless there is some kind of cap dump move Murray has up his sleeve. There is no way we pay him the full amount of what is left given how few games he's been able to play in over the past two seasons. He's done and we can replace his roster spot cheaply.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I thought I read that the two parties agreed to more of a settlement situation, one in which was very different than a usual buyout.

The PA and the league were involved in settling the issue according to some published reports.

Although no specifics were ever mentioned I would guess he got bought out per the CBA which for a guy of his age was only 1/3. And I think the compromise was that generally, a guy who's career is cut short by injury cannot be bought out at all, but ends up getting his full contract paid. The fact that the Ducks were "allowed" to buy him out, when he was still unable to play, tells you something about there being some issue(s) on the player's part. There were published reports that he lied to doctors in order to come back sooner whereupon he managed to get his bell rung again and ended up in the position he was in, when finally bought out.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Capgeek lists Despres' caps hits at zero after listing whatever the buyout calculator told them initially. They've been asked about it a few times and never addressed it, so doesn't seem like it's a weird mistake. Take that as you will.

As for Eaves, they'd definitely save some money but it's a question of spending $3 million for something or $2 million for nothing. With no cap reasons to make such a move I wager they hang onto him. Kesler's a different story but I dont think it comes to that.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Dreger said tonight on insider trading that silf is expected to re-sign
Yep, just watched the video. Used pretty definitive language that he isn't going to be moved.

Also said we might have to wait until March 1st to make it official if we can't move salary out.

It's becoming more and more likely that we just stand pat on Monday. We have nothing to really trade out.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
An Eaves buyout is very affordable. Only about 2 million total to pay him (saves ownership 1 million) and that is spread out over two seasons. His production/roster spot can be filled by a younger player on an ELC contract and still saves a few bucks or is at least cap-neutral.

A Kesler buyout is not good whatsoever. It's way better to bank on him either being a productive depth player for another two seasons before a buyout, or bank on him ending up in LTIRetirement with a partially/mostly? insured contract.

A Perry buyout isn't great but would be doable. I don't see it happening since he still can play hockey and with a full offseason to rehab and a full training camp he should be back to being a productive player next year. For the sake of discussion, ownership would save 4 million and he'd carry a cap hit of 2.625 next season, 6.625 the season after, and 2 million for the two years following that. It's the spike in year two and the likelihood that he can still produce for another two years that would make this a tough move.

I know buyouts aren't a thing our ownership/management want to do, but Eaves' contract is gonna be bought out I think unless there is some kind of cap dump move Murray has up his sleeve. There is no way we pay him the full amount of what is left given how few games he's been able to play in over the past two seasons. He's done and we can replace his roster spot cheaply.

For Kesler, its a question of whether the contract is all or mostly insured. If it is, the ducks AND Kesler are better off putting him on permanent IR (aka Robidas island). The ducks get full cap relief and the net dollar cost is less than a buyout. That assumes Kesler is willing to hang up his skates - not sure he would be since he seems to still think he can play.

Perry should stick around at least one more year before a buyout or trade with retention is considered.

The PA and the league were involved in settling the issue according to some published reports.

Although no specifics were ever mentioned I would guess he got bought out per the CBA which for a guy of his age was only 1/3. And I think the compromise was that generally, a guy who's career is cut short by injury cannot be bought out at all, but ends up getting his full contract paid. The fact that the Ducks were "allowed" to buy him out, when he was still unable to play, tells you something about there being some issue(s) on the player's part. There were published reports that he lied to doctors in order to come back sooner whereupon he managed to get his bell rung again and ended up in the position he was in, when finally bought out.

From what I've heard, there were extenuating circumstances where the player and possibly the league were not fully transparent in sharing information concerning the health of the player (not necessarily related to the concussion injury). That resulted in a settlement whereby the ducks got additional relief.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
Perry should be kept for at least another year. That way the Ducks can see what he plays like when he has a full summer to recover and a full training camp. From what I have seen this year after his return there is something still there in his play. He is not worth what the Ducks are paying him, but I think that everyone expected that by this time in his contract. If he is unable to reasonably produce next year then he can be bought out for the last year of his contract and that buyout is more reasonable.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I think Perry is fine. He's still so smart and absolutely makes our PP better. Moving out salary starts with Kesler and eaves, then Fowler and henrique.

Reactions: Sean Garrity

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I wouldn't be surprised to see us packaging a pick with Eaves to get him off the books in the next few days. I suspect that's the story with the waiver wire.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I wouldn't be surprised to see us packaging a pick with Eaves to get him off the books in the next few days. I suspect that's the story with the waiver wire.
If Ottawa moves all three of their guys I could see that happening with them because they will need to get to the floor. Probably an off-season thing though.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Man,
My fear is Sounds like Bob is going to hang with the guys and basically end the season with another lame ass story about fixing a few things and giving this group “just one more chance

I like Silfv, but unless he’s giving a serious home team discount, who will we lose to fit that salary? Maybe the offers just suck for Silfv, I don’t know.

We sign Silfv...stuck with the big three plus Eaves., and even though we have a very nice group of you guys in their way, I just can’t see this organization being highly competitive the next couple years,and if we dont make some tough moves towards the future it could be a pretty mediocre stretch on its way

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Teams looking to get to the floor prefer back diving contracts. Can’t see the Sens helping out on Eaves.

Kesler has too much term to even think of buying out. Bob really needs to lean on Kesler to go the Robidas Island route...assuming the contract is insured, which it likely is.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Call it a hunch, but I get the feeling that if they are re-signing Silf, Rakell might be on his way out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad