Line Combos: 2018-2019 Starting Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I reckon Perreault-Little-Laine is the closest thing we can pull off at this point, provided that Maurice does not trust him to play against top competition.

Hogwash. Laine has shown with very long track record that he is up to the task including but not limited to having the best goal differential on 5-on-5, ELL being the only of his lineups he was NOT net positive, but net neutral. Last season they were actually net negative. To win those games you need to score more than your opponent. I know, this might be hard idea to grasp for Maurice, but it's still true.

Obviously they try "shelter" him like they sheltered CSW too, as you don't want to play your top offensive line against the best lines, unless you have Bergeron & Marchand on that line of course. Or Barkov and couple of other guys.

Fact is he tries to match Lowry as much as he can against top competition as that makes sense.

I don't think I have to remind you that last season it was Connor who was sheltered by keeping him with Wheeler and Scheifele, with defensively pretty iffy results, to be fair. So if they think Connor is up to the task while being actually a defensive liability, Laine for sure is up to the task.

Besides, PLL actually worked very well in October.

Very well is a bit of a hyperbole, but I give you that it worked. Much worse than all those lines with Laine & Scheifele, worse than ECL and obviously much worse than EStL. But I give you that it worked to the certain extent. Though you probably don't want to underutilize your best goal scoring talent by far by playing PLL if it doesn't work really well. There is no problem to try that lineup though, but only if Maurice is capable of doing adjustments when things are not going well. As seen last season, the sad thing is he seems to not be able to admit when he is wrong and do something about it, unless someone gets injured.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
Perreault - Little - Laine
Petan - Scheifele - Wheeler
Ehlers - Roslovic - Connor
Copp - Lowry - Dano
Tanev

Fairly even 5v5 TOI, giving Roslovic line more TOI when trailing and Lowry line while leading. Vets and top can get their extra ice time through special teams.

Morrissey - Trouba
Niku - Byfuglien
Kulikov - Myers
Morrow
Chiarot

(Prefer Poolman... shoot Chiarot into sun)

Hellebuyck
Some waiver wire

?

Profit

Etch my name on the Stanley Cup

I like this a lot. Petan with Scheifele and Wheeler makes a lot of sense and I love the idea of an ERC line. I also like the optimism of having Niku with Buff.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Copp - Lowry - Dano
Tanev

Fairly even 5v5 TOI, giving Roslovic line more TOI when trailing and Lowry line while leading. Vets and top can get their extra ice time through special teams.

Morrissey - Trouba
Niku - Byfuglien
Kulikov - Myers
Morrow
Chiarot

Hellebuyck
Some waiver wire

?

Profit

Don't mind it, but I'd make a few tweaks.

Petan-Scheifele-Wheeler
Connor-Roslovic-Laine
Perreault-Little-Ehlers
Copp-Lowry-Tanev
Dano

Morrissey-Trouba
Morrow-Buff
Kulikov-Myers

Poolman
Chiarot

Roslovic and Connor are dynamic and will create lots of chaos and space for Laine. I think Roslovic is a better playmaker than Little for Laine.

Really hard to move Tanev off Lowry's line. His speed and aggressiveness is a key to their effectiveness. Dano would add a bit of scoring punch, but cost more defensively, and that line is going to start a lot in their own zone vs. top competition.

I like Niku with Buff, but not until he proves he can play really solid D. Morrow with Buff was really effective, and Morrow can skate all night, so should be able to log enough ES minutes to hang with Buff.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I don't have a lineup to suggest, but I think that some growth was experienced last year by some players that will affect changes in the lineup.

Laine of course is the main one. His growth I think will change where he plays, either move to the first line or he's good enough to help Roslovic.

Roslovic, is a close second, maybe first! I really think they give him a shot at center. Playing with anything other than other talented players doesn't make sense and Maurice has said in the past that someone gunning for the top six will play in the top six. I'm assuming that at least in preseason, they start Roslovic at 2C.

Connor has turned into a bona fide top six player. His growth from last year and the magic on display when briefly paired with Roslovic, might make him a second line player to help Roslovic make the transition.

Now that I type this out, it seems that Roslovic may be the biggest wild card in all of this. If he gets a shot at 2C with Connor and Laine for example, we may see some fireworks. Connor and Roslovic mesh very nicely and could be the catalysts that Laine needs for a line as well.

So that's my only hope I guess........ Connor/Roslovic/Laine

EDIT..... great minds think alike Whileee!

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Don't mind it, but I'd make a few tweaks.

Petan-Scheifele-Wheeler
Connor-Roslovic-Laine
Perreault-Little-Ehlers
Copp-Lowry-Tanev
Dano

Morrissey-Trouba
Morrow-Buff
Kulikov-Myers

Poolman
Chiarot

Roslovic and Connor are dynamic and will create lots of chaos and space for Laine. I think Roslovic is a better playmaker than Little for Laine.

Really hard to move Tanev off Lowry's line. His speed and aggressiveness is a key to their effectiveness. Dano would add a bit of scoring punch, but cost more defensively, and that line is going to start a lot in their own zone vs. top competition.

I like Niku with Buff, but not until he proves he can play really solid D. Morrow with Buff was really effective, and Morrow can skate all night, so should be able to log enough ES minutes to hang with Buff.

I like this. MP, Little, and Ehlers were a good line, and Petan, Scheifele, and Wheeler had good metrics in a short sample as well I think. Connor,Roslo, and Laine could be an adventure, but they have the talent to possibly work.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
So that's my only hope I guess........ Connor/Roslovic/Laine

I think it's too tempting a situation to pass up on trying, especially knowing that this line could gel for another 12-15 years! Hedberg-Nilsson-Hull 2.0

Ehlers - Scheifele - Wheeler
Connor - Roslovic - Laine
Perreault - Little - Vesalainen (paired with responsible vets to groom as Wheeler replacement)
Copp - Lowry - Tanev
PB/Trade: Petan/Dano

The beauty of this team is that you can mix the lines until something works.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Last offseason our defensive depth seemed really thin at this time. Outside of our top 5, wasn’t much left.

This season seems night and day. Poolman, Niku look like NHL calibre defensemen. Morrow impressed me and seemed to get better the more he played. Chiarot is a serviceable 7th dman and. Kulikov was a nice addition when healthy.

We are really deep, cannot see Niku or Poolman starting the season with the team, unless Chevy makes a trade to offload a d. Doubt they move Myers but Kulikov makes sense. Frees up cap space to go after a C at the tdl, and it frees up a spot for Niku.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Last offseason our defensive depth seemed really thin at this time.

tenor.gif

Last offseason our defensive depth was the best we've ever had.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
tenor.gif

Last offseason our defensive depth was the best we've ever had.
Really? Explain?

Outside of our top 5 who was next up on the delth chart.? Chiarot by most accounts.

Just because it was the best depth we had to that point, doesnt equate to great depth

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Really? Explain?

Three deep on the left: Morrissey, Enstrom, Kulikov
Three deep on the right: Byfuglien, Trouba, Myers
One sophomore who played second pairing in his rookie season, 5 guys with multiple years of top pairing or at least high minute second pairing experience. We've never had that before, and we'll likely never have that again.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
One sophomore who played second pairing in his rookie season, 5 guys with multiple years of top pairing or at least high minute second pairing experience. We've never had that before, and we'll likely never have that again.
Names please, you just recited the same depth three different ways.

So you got Kulikov as our 6th, coming off of major back surgery, had an awful season in Buffalo, he was a complete wild card, and he ends up with another season ending injury with us. He was a major concern health wise.

Enstrom, complete wild card to keep healthy as well, and he ends up missing half a season. Myers as well, luckily he played a healthy season.

Heading into the season last year, the major concern was who would cover the inevitable injuries we would surely encounter.

Chiarot was next up, then who? Poolman and Niku were completely unknowns, most had Melchiori up next, then Nogier.

Last edited:

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
We're still selling Enstrom short and overrating Myers, aren't we?

I don’t think so. They both have/had their blemishes, both bring value, but at their bests, Myers brings more to the table.

I was a big Toby supporter throughout his time here. Some only could see his size, nothing more. His stick work, body position, smarts were always good. He has lost a step though, and struggles getting pucks out of the corners these days.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I tend to agree with you, but I think the extra year of experience for Poolman, the development of Niku and the acquisition of Morrow have all been very positive developments. They might not fully compensate for the loss of Enstrom in the end, but I think there's a good chance that the D will actually be even better and deeper this season.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Some stats (2017/18, regular season and playoffs combined):

Enstrom-Buff (5v5, 776 minutes):

relCF% +0.71
relxGF% +3.81

Morrow-Buff (5v5, 183 minutes):

relCF% +4.34
relxGF% +7.52

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I don’t think so. They both have/had their blemishes, both bring value, but at their bests, Myers brings more to the table.

I was a big Toby supporter throughout his time here. Some only could see his size, nothing more. His stick work, body position, smarts were always good. He has lost a step though, and struggles getting pucks out of the corners these days.
Enstrom brought next to nothing to the table in terms of offense, but at least there was a great defensive impact whenever he was on the ice. Someone has to take on that role next year, and I'm not sure we have a capable replacement in the organisation so soon.

We'll have to wait and see. As Whileee pointed out, Morrow had great results - but he did that as part of a really, really dominant team and has his numbers somewhat boosted by Buff's dominance. Enstrom also faced some tough assignments.

As for Myers, I want no part of him driving the second pairing. If they keep Trouba, fortunately he won't have to.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Enstrom brought next to nothing to the table in terms of offense, but at least there was a great defensive impact whenever he was on the ice. Someone has to take on that role next year, and I'm not sure we have a capable replacement in the organisation so soon.

We'll have to wait and see. As Whileee pointed out, Morrow had great results - but he did that as part of a really, really dominant team and has his numbers somewhat boosted by Buff's dominance. Enstrom also faced some tough assignments.

As for Myers, I want no part of him driving the second pairing. If they keep Trouba, fortunately he won't have to.
Morrow had about the same zone deployment as Enstrom, when with Buff. Those very good metrics are relative to the rest of the team while he was on the roster. Lots of D perform well with Buff, including Enstrom. I think Morrow is less good than prime Enstrom, but a lot better than Chiarot and Clitsome and others that have done fine with Buff. With Morrissey-Trouba taking the toughest minutes, I think Morrow-Buff can be a very strong second pairing.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

I want to see more Morrow, before I annoint him a full time 2nd pairing dman for us, but I liked his game last season, thought it was a mistake we sat him against the Knights till the end.

But if Morrow is not capable of handling the load, who else? Chiarot is very underwhelming to me. Niku is the desirable choice to me, but less likely one, to start the year.

Enstrom on a cheap one year deal is actually appealing to me. He plays half a season anyways, helps with depth and can be insurance if Kulikov breaks down again.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Copp - Lowry - Dano
Tanev

Morrissey - Trouba
Niku - Byfuglien
Kulikov - Myers
Morrow
Chiarot

Hellebuyck
Some waiver wire

?

Profit

Switch Laine with Wheeler and I’m definitely down with that lineup(cause that 1st Line isn’t gonna produce).

Reactions: 19GoalsInPlayoffs

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Morrow had about the same zone deployment as Enstrom, when with Buff. Those very good metrics are relative to the rest of the team while he was on the roster. Lots of D perform well with Buff, including Enstrom. I think Morrow is less good than prime Enstrom, but a lot better than Chiarot and Clitsome and others that have done fine with Buff. With Morrissey-Trouba taking the toughest minutes, I think Morrow-Buff can be a very strong second pairing.
Buff-anything should be a strong second pairing.

Don't think that sample size is sufficient, but I could be wrong. What's their PDO looking like?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Buff-anything should be a strong second pairing.

Don't think that sample size is sufficient, but I could be wrong. What's their PDO looking like?
PDO was lower than with Enstrom-Buff, but the PDO doesn't affect CF and xGF metrics, in any case. But Morrow-Buff had 60% of goals for on ice. Morrow-Buff also had about the same zone start profile as Enstrom-Buff.

I agree the sample size is a bit small to be completely confident. I think Morrow is a step down from Enstrom, but with Morrissey-Trouba now ensconced as the top defensive pair, I think Morrow-Buff can more than hold their own as a second pairing with some sheltering and push into the offensive zone.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Connor - Scheif - Laine
Perreault - Little - Wheeler
Ehlers - Roslovic - Vesalainen
Copp - Lowry - Tanev
Petan / Dano

- Give Laine his shot with Scheif - see how it goes
- Reunite Wheels and Lit's - add Perreault's determination - oldies none the less, should be nice zip and grit w/decent scoring.
- Roz / Ehlers = speed. Add Vesalainen for size plus an opportunity to play for his supper - 4th line minutes - give Roz an opportunity as a center to walk before he runs.
- Lowry line left intact - 3rd line minutes

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Laine loved scoring points with Perreault! :p

I don’t think he’s work well with Perreault and Little, he already has trouble playing with small forwards like Ehlers and Little, I really think Perreault won’t help(even though he’s a good playmaker, I don’t think the transition will work well at all with that line). If you give Laine one power forward to work with him and Perreault it would probably work though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad