Line Combos: 2018-2019 Starting Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Laine loved scoring points with Perreault! :p
True, but I think he's needed with Little, and I don't think Little plays enough of an East-West game to fit with Laine, for some reason. It might work, but I'd like to see them try Laine with Roslovic at C and either Perreault or Connor at LW.

Maybe...

Petan-Scheifele-Wheeler
Perreault-Roslovic-Laine
Connor-Little-Ehlers
Copp-Lowry-Tanev

I do think that Maurice really likes Connor's speed with Scheifele-Wheeler, so maybe more realistically...

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Perreault-Roslovic-Laine
Petan-Little-Ehlers
Copp-Lowry-Tanev

However they end up configuring the lines, the Jets have a ton of options to put together a deep and talented forward line-up.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
It's interesting that most people think Petan> Dano. Not saying its wrong but neither player has blown me away or proved himself a shoe-in over the other.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
IMO anyone who has Petan in the top 6 is being unrealistic. He isn't pushing one of Laine, Ehlers, Wheeler or Connor out of the top 6. And we can talk about balancing out the ice time but the Jets will be like every other team in the league and will ride their top players when push comes to shove in close games. It wouldn't hurt for Mo to dial Scheif and Wheeler back a bit, but it won't come anywhere near an equal distribution. I think it is by far the most likely that we see Connor with Scheifele and Wheeler, though I do hold out hope that at some point Laine gets time with Scheif. IMO it is conceivable that Rosie gets a shot with the dynamic duo of Laine and Ehlers which would be fun to watch. Then run either Petan/Dano or Vesalainen with MP and Little. Then C-L-T as the 4th though realistically it doesn't really make sense to number the lines, especially 2 - 4 as it will be more about usage.

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers-Rosie-Laine
MP-Little-Petan/Dano?Vesalainen
Copp-Lowry-Tanev

Whileee

May 29, 2010
IMO anyone who has Petan in the top 6 is being unrealistic. He isn't pushing one of Laine, Ehlers, Wheeler or Connor out of the top 6. And we can talk about balancing out the ice time but the Jets will be like every other team in the league and will ride their top players when push comes to shove in close games. It wouldn't hurt for Mo to dial Scheif and Wheeler back a bit, but it won't come anywhere near an equal distribution. I think it is by far the most likely that we see Connor with Scheifele and Wheeler, though I do hold out hope that at some point Laine gets time with Scheif. IMO it is conceivable that Rosie gets a shot with the dynamic duo of Laine and Ehlers which would be fun to watch. Then run either Petan/Dano or Vesalainen with MP and Little. Then C-L-T as the 4th though realistically it doesn't really make sense to number the lines, especially 2 - 4 as it will be more about usage.

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers-Rosie-Laine
MP-Little-Petan/Dano?Vesalainen
Copp-Lowry-Tanev
I think you might be right, and many of my suggestions are personal preferences rather than expectations. Having said that, I think Petan might surprise in camp and force the coaches to consider spreading the talent around.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think you might be right, and many of my suggestions are personal preferences rather than expectations. Having said that, I think Petan might surprise in camp and force the coaches to consider spreading the talent around.
I think playing with MP and Little on the 3rd line is spreading the talent around. They would likely get very favorable matchups. I just don't see Mo not putting Connor's speed with Wheeler and Scheif and also someone who has demonstrated they can be effective off the cycle game. I remain skeptical that Petan can adapt his game to the NHL, though I do believe he is the most likely out of Dano and Vesalainen to be given the opportunity. Rosie with Ehlers and Laine really intrigues me. Roslovic is the guy I see making the biggest jump this season.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think playing with MP and Little on the 3rd line is spreading the talent around. They would likely get very favorable matchups. I just don't see Mo not putting Connor's speed with Wheeler and Scheif and also someone who has demonstrated they can be effective off the cycle game. I remain skeptical that Petan can adapt his game to the NHL, though I do believe he is the most likely out of Dano and Vesalainen to be given the opportunity. Rosie with Ehlers and Laine really intrigues me. Roslovic is the guy I see making the biggest jump this season.
I'm really high on Roslovic. I think he might work with Ehlers and Laine.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Defensively, he was one of our best players. Calling him putrid is a lie, and him not signing is very likely due to off-ice reasons.

He had fine metrics defensively but he was playing with Buff who makes anyone look good (isn’t that what you said about Morrow;)). He didn’t bring anything offensively and was routinely injured for large parts of the season. Also, he wanted to sign, his agent said that they were looking for a lucrative NHL contract in the beginning of the season in a Swedish interview. Doubt that has changed. Morrow will be an upgrade over the last few seasons’ Enström at a fraction of the price.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
He had fine metrics defensively but he was playing with Buff who makes anyone look good (isn’t that what you said about Morrow;)). He didn’t bring anything offensively and was routinely injured for large parts of the season. Also, he wanted to sign, his agent said that they were looking for a lucrative NHL contract in the beginning of the season in a Swedish interview. Doubt that has changed. Morrow will be an upgrade over the last few seasons’ Enström at a fraction of the price.
You're really not wrong, aside from that Morrow > Enstrom comment.

With us having jack shit in terms of proven LHD depth after Morrissey, we'll miss him, regardless of what you happen to think of him.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018

With us having jack **** in terms of proven LHD depth after Morrissey, we'll miss him, regardless of what you happen to think of him.

Yeah you are right, depth is always nice. But I still think that Morrow’s true upside remains to be seen, he’s been playing such limited minutes and seemed to have a good presence on the ice when given the chance that he may surprise with more ice time.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

With us having jack **** in terms of proven LHD depth after Morrissey, we'll miss him, regardless of what you happen to think of him.
While few would disagree that Toby was a good soldier we are quite fortunate his $5.75 contract expired when it did. As he declines he is worth no where near this amount and we are officially now a cap crunched team. That contract wouldn't be movable so we would have had to dismantle elsewhere. Sure Enstrom could provide some LHD depth if he was willing to sign a 1 X 1 contract like Morrow did. But I'm guessing he is looking for more term and AAV to remain in NA.

Also I think your LHD depth comment is a bit over stated as Kuli if healthy is above depth level and ideally Morrow is #3 and Chiarot is #4. We have depth what we don't have is a 2nd pairing LHD we can pencil in. But sadly Toby is no longer this player either.

What I'm a little surprised is at the lack of hype for Niku. If he just had the season he had as the top defenseman in the AHL at age 21 with 1st round pedigree we would all be doing somersaults and shouting about his promise ecstatic at having such 2 so talented and young LHD with him and Josh. I have little doubt if given the opportunity that Niku will have cemented the #2 LHD spot by season's end and probably only be behind Buff in D scoring.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
While few would disagree that Toby was a good soldier we are quite fortunate his $5.75 contract expired when it did. As he declines he is worth no where near this amount and we are officially now a cap crunched team. That contract wouldn't be movable so we would have had to dismantle elsewhere. Sure Enstrom could provide some LHD depth if he was willing to sign a 1 X 1 contract like Morrow did. But I'm guessing he is looking for more term and AAV to remain in NA.

Also I think your LHD depth comment is a bit over stated as Kuli if healthy is above depth level and ideally Morrow is #3 and Chiarot is #4. We have depth what we don't have is a 2nd pairing LHD we can pencil in. But sadly Toby is no longer this player either.

What I'm a little surprised is at the lack of hype for Niku. If he just had the season he had as the top defenseman in the AHL at age 21 with 1st round pedigree we would all be doing somersaults and shouting about his promise ecstatic at having such 2 so talented and young LHD with him and Josh. I have little doubt if given the opportunity that Niku will have cemented the #2 LHD spot by season's end and probably only be behind Buff in D scoring.
Kulikov was a replacement level player in a heavily sheltered role last year. I'm not holding my hopes for him to be that solution at 2LD.

If we do have a solution in place, it is going to be Niku. The one hurdle he has to jump over is pushing two of Kulikov, Morrow and Chiarot out of the roster.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Kulikov was a replacement level player in a heavily sheltered role last year. I'm not holding my hopes for him to be that solution at 2LD.

Kulikov not being healthy is hfboards speculation at it's finest. Yes back surgery is delicate, but it's ludicrous how many have completely written him off.

A healthy Kulikov is a top 4 defensemen on virtually any NHL team & the furthest thing from press box fodder or being mentioned in the same breath as Morrow or Chiarot.

If we do have a solution in place, it is going to be Niku. The one hurdle he has to jump over is pushing two of Kulikov, Morrow and Chiarot out of the roster.

There's also a hurdle Niku can't jump over & that's being waiver expect whereas Chiarot & Morrow are waiver eligible.

I'll add that in jumping this hurdle, it has to offer such immediate benefit that it justifies waiving Morrow/Chiarot & the potential loss of one of them.

If you're not a fan of either, the depth chart falls off the map if they're no longer options. Good luck chasing the Stanley Cup when you're left with Nogier (22), Green (20), Stanley (20) & Bourque (21). Of those only Nogier has stepped on NHL ice. After that the depth chart hits AHL journeyman Schilling who's played 6 career NHL games at the age of 29.

That's reality... and the reason I expect Niku to continue to develop his game in the AHL while offering the Jets the best insurance when injury occurs.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
But Enström was putrid. You should get over it. If he somehow magically was good someone would have signed him already.
Not necessarily true, FYI.
Good players get missed and passed over.
Bad players get signed.
The nhl is not an open free market either, so sometimes GMs fo not sign players that even they believe is better due to contract limit, one way contracts, rebuild vs contending, age of player, Cap hit, etc.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Not necessarily true, FYI.
Good players get missed and passed over.
Bad players get signed.
The nhl is not an open free market either, so sometimes GMs fo not sign players that even they believe is better due to contract limit, one way contracts, rebuild vs contending, age of player, Cap hit, etc.

Yeah, free agents aren’t coveted or anything, it’s not like there was any buzz over say Tavares ,) I kid, I kid.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

As whileee mentioned, many of us are talking about what we’d do, so it does not matter about what we see Maurice doing.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
How does that counter my argument though.

Enstrom was the best at prevent scoring chances and goals. That is meaningful.

It doesn’t, but him not getting signed is telling. Enström was sheltered by playing with Buff, he missed large portions of his last seasons, he was at the absolute bottom of NHL productivity, and at a very high cap rate at that.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
It doesn’t, but him not getting signed is telling. Enström was sheltered by playing with Buff, he missed large portions of his last seasons, he was at the absolute bottom of NHL productivity, and at a very high cap rate at that.

Not at all to me. Him not being signed doesn’t tell me anything about him just like Orpik being signed doesn’t tell me anything about him.

Sheltered by Buff? Are you a new fan to following the Jets or at least here?

A good counter part for an Enstrom type, sure.

Buff impacts the game almost exclusively via offensive creation.
Enstrom impacts the game almost exclusively via reducing the opponent’s offensive creation.

That’s always has been how hey have been and why many here always liked Buff being paired with Enstrom. They complimented each other.

Sheltering is placing players in soft minutes with weak QoC and/or strong QoT in order to keep afloat a player who is not afloat otherwise.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Not at all to me. Him not being signed doesn’t tell me anything about him just like Orpik being signed doesn’t tell me anything about him.

Enstrom impacts the game almost exclusively via reducing the opponent’s offensive creation.

That’s always has been how hey have been and why many here always liked Buff being paired with Enstrom. They complimented each other.

Sheltering is placing players in soft minutes with weak QoC and/or strong QoT in order to keep afloat a player who is not afloat otherwise.

It tells me pretty much that GMs think Orpik is a better player than Enström. A lot of people here don’t think Enström’s very good and GMs seem to agree.

I was using the same argument of Buff making anyone look good that was used as a slight against Morrow. It was a joke.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I've been wondering about your view of Morrow based on his play with the Jets last season.

100 NHL games in spotty usage before the Jets and good metrics with the Jets, and decent by my eye test.

"mirage" or "maybe"?

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
It tells me pretty much that GMs think Orpik is a better player than Enström. A lot of people here don’t think Enström’s very good and GMs seem to agree.

I was using the same argument of Buff making anyone look good that was used as a slight against Morrow. It was a joke.

This is poor logic.

It tells you *A* GM got Orpik rather than Enstrom.
  • that GM may believe Enstrom to better overall but Enstrom was not available to them anyways
  • that GM may believe Enstrom to better overall but preferred the contract they could get with Orpik
  • that GM may believe Enstrom to better but Orpik fit a particular role better
  • that GM may believe Enstrom to better but preferred the familiarity of a player that had been part of their system for so long
Then looking at all GMs, a GM may view Enstrom as better than some of their NHL defenders but would rather keep others due to age, term, waivers, etc. Unfortunately, there's also things like friends, family, familiarity, tenure, and other factors than simply hockey decisions.

There's a lot that goes on to which players who are signed and not signed. There's a lot of moving parts and restrictions.

A fun little factoid: I worked for a NHL team once with evaluating their players on their farm team. They went an entire season where not one single call up was because they viewed the player as the best option, but was largely influenced by cap manipulation, bonuses, and waivers.

Then add in the fact that GMs make bad decisions all the time...

A lot of people disagree with me and agree with GMs... but those people aren't getting paid by GMs for their opinions. ;)
^ slight tongue in cheek for the last paragraph.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
This is poor logic.

It tells you *A* GM got Orpik rather than Enstrom.
  • that GM may believe Enstrom to better overall but Enstrom was not available to them anyways
  • that GM may believe Enstrom to better overall but preferred the contract they could get with Orpik
  • that GM may believe Enstrom to better but Orpik fit a particular role better
  • that GM may believe Enstrom to better but preferred the familiarity of a player that had been part of their system for so long
Then looking at all GMs, a GM may view Enstrom as better than some of their NHL defenders but would rather keep others due to age, term, waivers, etc. Unfortunately, there's also things like friends, family, familiarity, tenure, and other factors than simply hockey decisions.

There's a lot that goes on to which players who are signed and not signed. There's a lot of moving parts and restrictions.

A fun little factoid: I worked for a NHL team once with evaluating their players on their farm team. They went an entire season where not one single call up was because they viewed the player as the best option, but was largely influenced by cap manipulation, bonuses, and waivers.

Then add in the fact that GMs make bad decisions all the time...

A lot of people disagree with me and agree with GMs... but those people aren't getting paid by GMs for their opinions. ;)
^ slight tongue in cheek for the last paragraph.

Well *A* GM got Orpik because there’s only one Orpik to go around.

It is also fact that 0 GMs have signed Enström.

How is that bad logic?

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Will we miss Enstrom? Yes

Do we have enough depth on the left side to mostly cover for his absence? Probably

Do we need the cap space? Yes

Losing Enstrom is just a cost of doing business when your up against the cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad