NHL 2018-2019 Standings Watch - Push To The Playoffs

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Columbus should fold their franchise if they end up behind the Habs and miss the playoffs.

I really hope they make it in and hold the 8th spot.

They have the best chance of beating Tampa or at least letting Tampa know they were in a series. Their a team that I'm sure no one wants to meet in the first round, they still have time to figure it out and I hope they do, just because I like the match-up problems they can give Tampa, not to mention if the Bob gets hot he can win a series.

bwunderlich

Feb 27, 2002
woodstock, ny
Visit site
I know it's ESPN, but there Power Rankings are kinda hammer meets nail (Buckeye reference is college hoop comparison).

7. Toronto Maple Leafs

Previous ranking: 5
rd-arrow.png

Ohio State. Fan bases that are enormous and enormously frustrated, plus an air of pretentiousness despite having not won anything since the 1960s.

Bergyesque

Been there, done that.
Mar 11, 2014
Laval, QC, Canada
I know it's ESPN, but there Power Rankings are kinda hammer meets nail (Buckeye reference is college hoop comparison).

7. Toronto Maple Leafs

rd-arrow.png

Ohio State. Fan bases that are enormous and enormously frustrated, plus an air of pretentiousness despite having not won anything since the 1960s.
Delicious! Absolutely delicious!

Where are the cookies now?

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

7. Toronto Maple Leafs

rd-arrow.png

Oh please let there be a Main Board thread about this!

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
It’ll never happen, but I’d love to see them shorten the season by a dozen games when Seattle enters the league.

Less is more.

‘13 lockout was maybe the best season of hockey.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
So if the Bruins go 3-4 the rest of the way the Leafs would have to go 7-0 ?

Magic number is 8. We need 8 points, or the Leafs to lose out on 8 points, or some combo, to get home ice.

Your scenario is almost right - Bruins would have 107 in that case. Leafs would need 108 to guarantee a win, so they would need 13 points, plus a ROW tiebreaker. So, your borderline situation requires us to know if the Leafs won all games in the shootout or not.

So, right now, we've clinched fourth in the division. Tomorrow, we clinch 3rd in the Atlantic (no wild card possible) if Montreal loses in any form, OR if they win in a shutout. If they win in a shut out, their ceiling becomes 101/44 ROW, which is our record, and we win on season record.

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The Bruins are for the first round home ice
tenor.gif
tenor.gif

upload_2019-3-24_2-18-11.png

Just to be clear - I saw in the GDT that someone was concerned that the first place team in the Metro would get home ice over the second-place Bruins in the Eastern Final - THAT IS NOT THE CASE

Home-ice advantage through the first two rounds goes to the team that placed higher in the regular-season standings. In the Conference Final and Stanley Cup Final, home-ice advantage goes to the team that had the better regular-season record, regardless of the teams' final standing in their respective divisions.

The Bruins and Calgary will go down to the wire for the second best record in the NHL.

Monday's game in Tampa is going to be fascinating. The Lightning have been pedal to the medal all season long as the Bruins had problems early on with injuries to Bergeron and Chara and by New Year's Tampa built a nice cushion in the division - BUT since the Winter Classic, the Bruins have matched Tampa's torrid pace.

While both teams believe they are on a collision course to meet in Round 2 their primary focus is still Round 1 - The Bruins KNOW who they are playing, Tampa has no clue on who will wind up as WC2 which could be Montreal.

Could Montreal beat Tampa in a 7 game series?

855989692.jpg

The last thing I want is to have the Bruins playing Poutineville in Round 2.

Let us all root for Columbus to edge them out.

The NHL West is tight and the Bruins will play a small role as they play in St. Paul on April 4th.

upload_2019-3-24_3-22-32.png

Wouldn't be ironic if the 2 teams that the NHL sent to China in the preseason wound up meeting in the SCF?

Reactions: HockeyMomx2

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
The Bruins are for the first round home ice
tenor.gif
tenor.gif

View attachment 204203

Just to be clear - I saw in the GDT that someone was concerned that the first place team in the Metro would get home ice over the second-place Bruins in the Eastern Final - THAT IS NOT THE CASE

Home-ice advantage through the first two rounds goes to the team that placed higher in the regular-season standings. In the Conference Final and Stanley Cup Final, home-ice advantage goes to the team that had the better regular-season record, regardless of the teams' final standing in their respective divisions.

The Bruins and Calgary will go down to the wire for the second best record in the NHL.

Monday's game in Tampa is going to be fascinating. The Lightning have been pedal to the medal all season long as the Bruins had problems early on with injuries to Bergeron and Chara and by New Year's Tampa built a nice cushion in the division - BUT since the Winter Classic, the Bruins have matched Tampa's torrid pace.

While both teams believe they are on a collision course to meet in Round 2 their primary focus is still Round 1 - The Bruins KNOW who they are playing, Tampa has no clue on who will wind up as WC2 which could be Montreal.

Could Montreal beat Tampa in a 7 game series?

855989692.jpg

The last thing I want is to have the Bruins playing Poutineville in Round 2.

Let us all root for Columbus to edge them out.

The NHL West is tight and the Bruins will play a small role as they play in St. Paul on April 4th.

View attachment 204211

Wouldn't be ironic if the 2 teams that the NHL sent to China in the preseason wound up meeting in the SCF?

You don’t want the bruins to play habs in second round? I’m sorry man but...hand in your bruins card

“If you are going to win the Stanley cup and have to go through Montreal to do it, all the better” brick

Plus, they would be way easier than Tampa after a series against Toronto

If by some Miracle the habs best Tampa, they don’t scare me at all

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
still don't see the Habs getting in. 4 of their remaining games are against top 7 in the league teams , 2 are on the road against teams they are fighting for the WC. Only one gimme game against Florida.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
You don’t want the bruins to play habs in second round? I’m sorry man but...hand in your bruins card

“If you are going to win the Stanley cup and have to go through Montreal to do it, all the better” brick

Plus, they would be way easier than Tampa after a series against Toronto

If by some Miracle the habs best Tampa, they don’t scare me at all

I have seen way too many heavily favorited Bruins teams stumble and fall against Montreal in the playoffs.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I don't want the Bruins to play both the Leafs and the Habs. That's a little too much amped up energy for my taste. The Leafs series should be some good red meat, considering the whole "center of the hockey universe" complex Toronto has, and that we've created a nice little rivalry this decade. But I'm fine with a nice, calm round 2 - preferably against Columbus. I'm sure the players feed off the energy, but Montreal following Toronto is...too much, even if I think Montreal is, objectively, not a deep-playoff caliber team.

But if we have to play the Bolts, I'd like them to get dinged up by the twerps - at the very least in terms of game count. If the Lightning sail through their first round like they did last year...they'll be tough, and I fear a carbon copy of 2018.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad