NHL 2018-2019 Standings Watch - Push To The Playoffs

17of26

Sep 9, 2008
OTL and SO losses are losses
they're 18-21
Except that they're not. It's a tie playing actual NHL hockey plus a loss playing something else entirely.

This is why OTL/SOL get their own column in the standings. Think of it as the 'Tie' column from the 80s.

Prince Pasta

ANTHONY!
Aug 20, 2006
The Granite Town in The Granite State
Change the numbers all you want to try to fit your argument but meanwhile their road record is 18-15-6

ok, lets take the 18 - 15 then, that puts them hmm, last in wins over loses amongst playoff teams in the eastern conference. How many of those were after bad third periods where they blew a lead (including the last 2 road losses)? Does that bode well for them playing road games in the playoff. I dont have to "Change the numbers", they've been inconsistent on the road.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Is that for tonight?

Yes.

The magic number for 2nd place is 3. An OTL and a Toronto loss in regulation against Carolina would do that.

Also, that would give Clb and Car 2pts each meaning that, if TB doesn’t lose on purpose against the Habs tonight, Clb would clinch and Car would need 1 win or 1 loss by the Habs to eliminate these losers.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Yes.

The magic number for 2nd place is 3. An OTL and a Toronto loss in regulation against Carolina would do that.

Also, that would give Clb and Car 2pts each meaning that, if TB doesn’t lose on purpose against the Habs tonight, Clb would clinch and Car would need 1 win or 1 loss by the Habs to eliminate these losers.
Nice.

I'm hoping we win and they lose and then I'll celebrate and demand they rest guys.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
That seems stupid of them.

Chasing regular season accolades instead of giving some guys a few days off.

I feel like Tampa clinched the Presidents' Trophy ages ago. They've probably had ample time to rest their core players....at least as much time as each player needs. Haven't looked at who they've iced the last week or two, but I honestly can't blame them for having a "full dress rehearsal" on Saturday, even if we bring Providence. Also, it's a good chance for them to fire a shot at us on Saturday, considering there's a decent chance we'll meet them again two weeks later.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
theres now 5 teams in the east with 99 points and 2 games left... Toronto is 1. at least one team with 99 points will be the 5th best team no matter how you reformat the playoffs. there is no configuration that doesnt see at least 1 team with 99 points guaranteed to be eliminated

the penguins have 97 points in 80 games... they could easily catch the two teams at 99 points.
honestly id rather play one of the 99 point teams instead of the penguins

over in the west theres only 1 team above 99 points. why isnt anyone freaked out about that?
reformatting the east 1-8 would solve absolutely nothing

you need to go 1-16 if you actually wanted the best teams to get through... and even then its no guarantee. in an unbalanced league theres reasons why some teams will finish 3-4 points ahead of another after an 82 game schedule

imagine that... each team has a potential of 164 points and the difference between 4th and 12th is less than 10 points... around a 7% variance at most for most the playoff teams

all props to the top 3-4 teams because they deserve it I guess... but crying over the next 10 teams... really?

this is ending exactly as I predicted for the past month in multiple posts. the reason this became a story this year is that it effected Toronto and they have a lot of media that needs to create stories and fill airtime

to those few people that complained last year and will complain again next year... I apologize. your position will never gain traction at the nhl because there is no better format. the reason that the format is like this now is because people kept complaining about the old formats and the league decided to just adapt the one that makes the most sense to the players and owners

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Nashville and Winnipeg have a lot to play for over these last 2 games, because I can guarantee you that NEITHER of them want anything to do with St Louis in Round 1......

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
upload_2019-4-3_10-53-19.png

The Canadiens will travel to Washington on Wednesday to face the Capitals on Thursday, a team that will be looking to clinch first place in the Metropolitan Division. They need either the Columbus Blue Jackets or the Carolina Hurricanes to lose at least one of their final two games to have a chance to get in, and they have to win in Washington. They could be eliminated as soon as Friday if they lose in regulation Thursday and the Hurricanes win Thursday and Columbus wins Friday.

CAN_JM.jpg

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
so I guess Toronto has 99 points after 81 games... there are 4 teams ahead of them... Pittsburgh is tied and its very possible Carolina will tie

Toronto can be tied for 6th place by the time playoffs start

what the hell was all this worry about needing to change the playoff standings because the 4th best team in the nhl was forced to play us?

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I've never been too upset about the playoff format. The main argument against it is "two of the best teams in the NHL could face each other in round 1 (or 2)". But if you step back and look at the actual numbers behind the standings, that argument falls apart.

Right now, with one game to go in the season, one game separates 7 teams, from Toronto (nominally 6th) down to St. Louis (nominally 12th). That's one game in 81. Just like I wouldn't call a coin biased if I flipped it 10 times and it came up heads 6 times, I don't think based on the W/L/OT, ROW, and season-record that that current list of teams is 100% accurate. If they replayed the 81 games, those teams could easily be jumbled up.

Do I think Tampa's better than Ottawa? That's a coin that came up heads 10 times. But in certain areas of the standings, there's some random "fuzz" that gets added or subtracted from scores that we can't see. The points column is our best guess as to which team is truly best.

So, are two "very good" teams still likely to meet up in the current format, even accounting for this fuzz? Yeah, sure. But even in the old 1 v 8 format, that's still possible.

What the new format does is favor rivalry...which is good...at the expense of possibly creating monotony....which is bad.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Except that they're not. It's a tie playing actual NHL hockey plus a loss playing something else entirely.

This is why OTL/SOL get their own column in the standings. Think of it as the 'Tie' column from the 80s.

That’s now how it works

If you’re giving out a win for a game you can’t give out a tie as well

You don’t say a teams record minus the OT wins and call them draws too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad