NHL 2018-2019 Standings Watch - Push To The Playoffs

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Mathematically, Boston can still finish in a Wild Card Spot.

Mathematically, Philly can still catch them and knock them out of the playoffs.

3 points (I did make a mistake in my original post - its not 1 point) and Philly can no longer catch them.
Ahhhhh.

Now it makes sense. Thank You for clarifying!

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
Mitch is one of us

DTXbWp6VwAAw9N5.jpg

There is no better show than his for intelligent hockey talk anywhere. He grew up when the Bruins were on Montreal cable twice as much as the Habs were as a station in Vermont picked up every TV38 game.

One thing I have learned in my lifetime, Habs fans may hate the Bruins BUT they also respect them. Toronto fans just hate us.

That shirt is fantastic!

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
HNIC/Sportsnet isn't the only hockey coverage in Canada. You should know that. If you are only getting negativity about the Bruins, then you aren't listening.

Trade deadline day on TSN, not one of the media people picked Toronto to beat Boston in the playoffs. Zero.

I'm a Bruins fan living in a major Toronto market. But I understand the overwhelming majority of hockey fans in the country are Leaf fans first and Canadiens fans second. When the Leafs were last in Vancouver, Leaf fans drowned out Canuck fans easily. It's the way it is and I've learned to accept it.

It is a money driven business and you cater to the majority if you want to have success and survive.

This has nothing to do with NBC. But I will say this, I've watched many of Bruins games on NBC where the Bruins were second fiddle to whoever the opposition was on that given day by the media.
Especially if they're playing the Pens.

Reactions: JCRO

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I believe we need a combination of gaining 5 points/Montreal dropping 5 points to clinch. They’re the 9 seed and can get up to 101 points

Absolutely right - the magic number is 5.

We can't clinch tomorrow - even if we win and Montreal loses, that puts us at 99/42 ROW, and MTL would have 83/36 ROW with 8 games to go. If Montreal wins all other games in regulation, they get 99 points and beat us on ROW. All the other teams that are higher than Montreal can do the same or better.

We can clinch on Saturday - if Montreal loses their two games, they have 83/36 ROW, with 7 games to go, and a max score of 97/43. We already have 97/42, so just a single point in that scenario and we're in.

More relevant is the BOS/TOR clinching home ice scenario. That number is 13 - computed by assuming Toronto wins out and gets 109/52, and then noting that the Bruins with 97 points need 12 points to tie 109 (and hence possibly lose to ROW), and 13 points to win. So, we need at least 7 games to be played by Boston and Toronto, and all seven going the right way...which means the earliest we can possibly know about home ice is 3/27.

Reactions: TorontLoL 67

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Absolutely right - the magic number is 5.

We can't clinch tomorrow - even if we win and Montreal loses, that puts us at 99/42 ROW, and MTL would have 83/36 ROW with 8 games to go. If Montreal wins all other games in regulation, they get 99 points and beat us on ROW. All the other teams that are higher than Montreal can do the same or better.

We can clinch on Saturday - if Montreal loses their two games, they have 83/36 ROW, with 7 games to go, and a max score of 97/43. We already have 97/42, so just a single point in that scenario and we're in.

More relevant is the BOS/TOR clinching home ice scenario. That number is 13 - computed by assuming Toronto wins out and gets 109/52, and then noting that the Bruins with 97 points need 12 points to tie 109 (and hence possibly lose to ROW), and 13 points to win. So, we need at least 7 games to be played by Boston and Toronto, and all seven going the right way...which means the earliest we can possibly know about home ice is 3/27.
What if the Bruins go 5-4 in their 9 remaining games ( they will likely do better) what would the Leafs have to go in order to gain 2nd place ?

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
What if the Bruins go 5-4 in their 9 remaining games ( they will likely do better) what would the Leafs have to go in order to gain 2nd place ?

Let’s be (slightly) more pessimistic. If the Bruins go 4-4-1 - a perfect 0.500, then that’s 9 points. Since the home ice magic number is 13, that means the Leafs can only drop 13 - 9 = 4 points. That means if the Leafs get 7-2-0 (or 5-0-4, or better), the Leafs get home ice. If they do better, it’s the Leafs.

(I’m slightly simplifying by assuming that nothing weird happens, like the either team winning every game in a shootout. Technically, a record of 4-4-1 for the Bruins and 7-2-0 for the Leafs gives a tie in points. In all likelihood that scenario would result in a Leafs win, since they’re already ahead of us in ROW....but technically if every single win the Leafs get is a shootout, the Leafs could still lose in a 4-4-1/7-2-0 scenario.)

Reactions: gillesgilbert

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Sabres vs Leafs.Eichel was just interviewed and said and I quote."WE HATE THE LEAFS" Expect a tough game with some players getting banged up tonite .

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Like to know how many times a team gets a powerplay vs Leafs early and scores then not another powerplay rest of the game.I saw that a few times this year with them.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
on leafs lunch the analyst points out a stat for the maple leafs… they are 7-15 in games against one of the top 10 defensive teams in the nhl

why does this matter to us? we happen to be the 3rd best defensive team. its not only us that they suck against. any team that can play good defense owns the leafs. they have a 53 point pace against top 10 defensive teams. they are basically the worst team in the league when they cant run and gun

on related note I hear they have this huge advantage over us on forward depth
really?

is marner better than marchand? each teams top winger...
how about Matthews or Bergeron? I dont see much advantage for leafs yet
I think we give them an edge Tavares over krejci
but a bigger edge pastrnak over nylander
give me debrusk over kapanen or johnsson
and Heinen against the other kapanen/johnsson isnt that big a difference imo
I admit kadri would be advantage over coyle
but MJ and marleau at this point in marleaus career seems pretty balance
hyman rounds out their top 9... I guess backes rounds out ours

I like at least 4 of these matchups for us and a couple others are so close to call.... then take it to the 4th line and our guys eat their breakfast

I dare say we got the deeper group of forwards or at least its a 50-50 call. they are allowed to take more gambles offensively so their point totals get a little inflated but our boys are capable of matching the offense and our boys actually do play good defense.

forward group is not a huge advantage for the leafs… defense is incredibly weighted in our direction... and give me rask over the publicity machine that pumps andersons tires anyday. even if starting goaltending was balanced, our edge for backup is a mile deep.

we have to keep the brain game in our favor... I would hate to see us change our style because we 'respected their firepower too much'

im not saying just take it for granted we can win without changing our game... but the series is ours to take. play our game. our game is the superior game. our matchup is the superior matchup. not only are we built to win, but they are built to lose.

7-15 against the teams in the league with the top 10 defensive records. its no big mystery how to handle the leafs. Nashville just beat them 3-0 and the leafs coach/players/fans/media are calling it a huge moral victory on their talkshows all day.

its looking very very good for us in the upcoming playoffs. almost makes me feel like beginning to analyze how we matchup with tampa

Reactions: HOLDEN44FAN

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
on leafs lunch the analyst points out a stat for the maple leafs… they are 7-15 in games against one of the top 10 defensive teams in the nhl

why does this matter to us? we happen to be the 3rd best defensive team. its not only us that they suck against. any team that can play good defense owns the leafs. they have a 53 point pace against top 10 defensive teams. they are basically the worst team in the league when they cant run and gun

on related note I hear they have this huge advantage over us on forward depth
really?

is marner better than marchand? each teams top winger...
how about Matthews or Bergeron? I dont see much advantage for leafs yet
I think we give them an edge Tavares over krejci
but a bigger edge pastrnak over nylander
give me debrusk over kapanen or johnsson
and Heinen against the other kapanen/johnsson isnt that big a difference imo
I admit kadri would be advantage over coyle
but MJ and marleau at this point in marleaus career seems pretty balance
hyman rounds out their top 9... I guess backes rounds out ours

I like at least 4 of these matchups for us and a couple others are so close to call.... then take it to the 4th line and our guys eat their breakfast

I dare say we got the deeper group of forwards or at least its a 50-50 call. they are allowed to take more gambles offensively so their point totals get a little inflated but our boys are capable of matching the offense and our boys actually do play good defense.

forward group is not a huge advantage for the leafs… defense is incredibly weighted in our direction... and give me rask over the publicity machine that pumps andersons tires anyday. even if starting goaltending was balanced, our edge for backup is a mile deep.

we have to keep the brain game in our favor... I would hate to see us change our style because we 'respected their firepower too much'

im not saying just take it for granted we can win without changing our game... but the series is ours to take. play our game. our game is the superior game. our matchup is the superior matchup. not only are we built to win, but they are built to lose.

7-15 against the teams in the league with the top 10 defensive records. its no big mystery how to handle the leafs. Nashville just beat them 3-0 and the leafs coach/players/fans/media are calling it a huge moral victory on their talkshows all day.

its looking very very good for us in the upcoming playoffs. almost makes me feel like beginning to analyze how we matchup with tampa

Washington vs Tampa was the game to keep an eye on last night as these are the real contenders for the Bruins to worry about.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
With our win tonight, and CBJ's imminent loss against EDM, Bruins magic number is currently 2. We have 99 points, and CBJ can achieve a maximum of 100 points - we need the point buffer due to the possibility of losing on ROW.

This means we clinch a playoff berth with:

1) A Bruins win of any kind on Saturday

OR

2) A Columbus loss in regulation on Sunday

OR

3) A Bruins overtime/shootout loss on Saturday and a Columbus overtime/shootout loss.

Additionally, our magic number against the Habs (max pts of 101) is 3. So, we also clinch with:

4) A Bruins overtime/shootout loss on Saturday and a Montreal loss in regulation on Saturday.

In short...if we blank on Saturday, no clinching. If we get one point on Saturday, we need help from Montreal (Saturday) or Columbus (Sunday) to clinch. If we get two points...we're in.

Reactions: LouisSleigher

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
With our win tonight, and CBJ's imminent loss against EDM, Bruins magic number is currently 2. We have 99 points, and CBJ can achieve a maximum of 100 points - we need the point buffer due to the possibility of losing on ROW.

This means we clinch a playoff berth with:

1) A Bruins win of any kind on Saturday

OR

2) A Columbus loss in regulation on Sunday

OR

3) A Bruins overtime/shootout loss on Saturday and a Columbus overtime/shootout loss.

Additionally, our magic number against the Habs (max pts of 101) is 3. So, we also clinch with:

4) A Bruins overtime/shootout loss on Saturday and a Montreal loss in regulation on Saturday.

In short...if we blank on Saturday, no clinching. If we get one point on Saturday, we need help from Montreal (Saturday) or Columbus (Sunday) to clinch. If we get two points...we're in.
8 games left , Bruins with a 6 point lead over the Leafs . Unless they completely collapse the Leafs will be hard pressed to overtake them .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad