NHL 2018-2019 Standings Watch - Push To The Playoffs

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
TSN has more of an even way of thinking for the NHL. Sportsnet/HNIC/CBC is very pro canadian and toronto.

My complaints are strictly broadcast. I love most of the TSN folks and have met many of them.

And my complaint is you took my post (and even bolded it) that explicitly said "Canadian Media" and turned it into a HNIC and NBC hockey broadcast for whatever reason. That alone is not "Canadian Media".

BTW: If you have a chance to listen to Canadian Sports radio anywhere in Canada (you can easily do it online while doing other stuff) you will hear "Canadian Media" (not HNIC) with the overwhelming vast majority calling the Bruins as the best chance to defeat the Lightning.

I wouldn't call that anti-Bruin.

Reactions: veganbruin

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
And my complaint is you took my post (and even bolded it) that explicitly said "Canadian Media" and turned it into a HNIC and NBC hockey broadcast for whatever reason. That alone is not "Canadian Media".

BTW: If you have a chance to listen to Canadian Sports radio anywhere in Canada (you can easily do it online while doing other stuff) you will hear "Canadian Media" (not HNIC) with the overwhelming vast majority calling the Bruins as the best chance to defeat the Lightning.

We both need to get to the 2nd round first. I am not sure I heavily favor Tampa against Carolina, and I am very confident that Price could easily steal a series against them. At the same time, the Toronto series is a complete toss up. Lots of hockey before the playoffs and still a lot of injuries to happen sadly.

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005

Fair enough.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
We both need to get to the 2nd round first. I am not sure I heavily favor Tampa against Carolina, and I am very confident that Price could easily steal a series against them. At the same time, the Toronto series is a complete toss up. Lots of hockey before the playoffs and still a lot of injuries to happen sadly.

I know that, you know that, everyone here knows that, and the people paid to report it knows it.

Tampa has to get by whoever and Boston more then likely has to get by Toronto.

But you my friend, are missing my point. Or rather choose to ignore it. And my point is a simple one:

Knowing what each team has to go through to get to each other, where is this false idea that the Canadian Media is all about the Leafs and showing no love for the Bruins? Isn't the fact they are saying Boston has the best chance of beating Tampa saying they will beat Toronto?

I am doing no predicting, no breakdown of how they could possibly meet, nothing of the sort. Just pointing out there is a false narrative going on here when it comes to the Bruins and Canadian Media.

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
if you want the regular season game points to matter that much... don't you need to balance the regular season? its like college football. you get 1 team that goes undefeated playing in a weak conference... then 2 teams play for the championship despite have a loss because they are both in murder conferences

you simply cant blindly say regular season matters that much unless you have a way of making the regular season fair and equal for everyone
The schedule is extremely balanced. You play every team in other conference twice, other division 3 times and your division 4 times. That's not much of a discrepancy, especially within your own conference. If they made division play more important (and say get rid of extra games against your cross division in conference), then maybe divisional playoffs make sense. And it made more sense when there were only 22 teams, only the worse teams were getting left out anyways/ play a tone of regular season games against your division.

Right now, the Bruins play an almost identical schedule to the Penguins, save for 7 games. The should be in the same pool for playoffs. Tampa and Boston being the two best teams in the conference (let alone league) should have the advantage to avoid each other until there is a chance to play for the cup on the line. Their rewards for a stellar regular season should be to have better chance for more playoff games.

And, it's only hindsight that we devalue playoffs runs that fail. 2013 felt just as special all the way through until those last couple minutes. More rounds matter. Last year, the Bruins should have met Tampa in the conference finals. Instead, we get hoards of Adam Jones posters clowning on the team for failing to get out of the 2nd round, and will be demanding for Sweeney and Cassidy to get fired if they don't this year. But if they made the conference finals and lost? Different sentiment. It would be about that one piece to get them over the top next year.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
The schedule is extremely balanced. You play every team in other conference twice, other division 3 times and your division 4 times. That's not much of a discrepancy, especially within your own conference. If they made division play more important (and say get rid of extra games against your cross division in conference), then maybe divisional playoffs make sense. And it made more sense when there were only 22 teams, only the worse teams were getting left out anyways/ play a tone of regular season games against your division.

Right now, the Bruins play an almost identical schedule to the Penguins, save for 7 games. The should be in the same pool for playoffs. Tampa and Boston being the two best teams in the conference (let alone league) should have the advantage to avoid each other until there is a chance to play for the cup on the line. Their rewards for a stellar regular season should be to have better chance for more playoff games.

And, it's only hindsight that we devalue playoffs runs that fail. 2013 felt just as special all the way through until those last couple minutes. More rounds matter. Last year, the Bruins should have met Tampa in the conference finals. Instead, we get hoards of Adam Jones posters clowning on the team for failing to get out of the 2nd round, and will be demanding for Sweeney and Cassidy to get fired if they don't this year. But if they made the conference finals and lost? Different sentiment. It would be about that one piece to get them over the top next year.

you will find that the top teams that qualify for the playoffs have maybe 105-109 points... the bottom teams 92-95 points

theres going to be maybe a 17 point spread between the top 8 teams most years... and once you get into teams 5-10 in the standings it often takes the last game of the season to determin who came before who

we can try to pretend till the cows come home that the regular season will determin who the 'best team' is and who the 'easy team' is but thats just silly

a team might go through injuries in January... might load up at the deadline... might start the season overseas... it can make a difference 2-3-4 points very easy and those 2-3-4 points can change the seedings 2-3-4 positions

I dont get this crazed obsession with some people that the regular season should determin who the top playoff teams are. im sorry, but teams will coast the regular season often... coaches might need to be fired to get a team to play harder.

you say a 7 game variation in schedule strength is irrelevant but thats almost 10% of the season... its 14 points.

people need to accept that on paper teams like Nashville/Winnipeg/Washington/Pittsburgh are probably more favored by the experts than our own team is to do damage at playoff time. im not sure what the vegas odds are, but there often isnt a lot of stock put into seedings as to who is primed to win at playoff time.

will the islanders be favored over Pittsburgh if they happen to finish higher in the standings? will Calgary be favored over vegas?

the teams themselves dont complain about this... they prefer the rivalries/travel

players dont comment unless someone sticks a microphone in their face... and even then they are split and dont have a strong opinion either way

most fans dont care... I mean this has been going on for years but didnt involve Toronto before so it didnt get any attention. im sure a few fans care... you might care... there are others here im sure care. but even if the system was changed there would be just as many {more} fans that complain about the new changes

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
since Christmas night... Toronto has played 35 games 18 wins 14 loses 3 ot loses

they are damn lucky they had 52 points in their first 37 games cause their pace since then isnt worthy of the playoffs. they might have had a hot start to the season but they have been a dead man walking for quite awhile now. people who say its a shame 2 great teams are meeting in the first round might want to study the situation a bit closer. Toronto is not built for the playoffs or stretch drive hockey.

they are running their goalie into the ground again. they are a taylor made opponent for us to handle.

things are looking up for us... lets get healthy before we have to tangle with tampa and lets hope the bounces go our way because thats our biggest test that looms to get in our way for the trip to the finals we want

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The West playoff picture is in flux

upload_2019-3-17_2-17-10.png

You can't count Chicago out yet as they are in striking distance of a Wild Card.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Poutineville is on life support as the regulation loss to Chicago tonight was devastating.

The Bruins now go on their last major road trip starting with a tough matchup in Uniondale. The game in Newark should be easy but then comes the 2 games in Florida.

The Bruins last game in Sunrise was a complete stinker and we can only hope the players remember that - The game in Tampa will be cat and mouse but I think the Lightning fear the Bruins more than any other team in the East.

:popcorn:

upload_2019-3-17_2-23-53.png

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

Which ones you are listening to? Cause TSN690 Montreal and TSN 1050 Toronto are about as anti-Bruin as it can get . No sure where you heard that one.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
you will find that the top teams that qualify for the playoffs have maybe 105-109 points... the bottom teams 92-95 points

theres going to be maybe a 17 point spread between the top 8 teams most years... and once you get into teams 5-10 in the standings it often takes the last game of the season to determin who came before who

we can try to pretend till the cows come home that the regular season will determin who the 'best team' is and who the 'easy team' is but thats just silly

a team might go through injuries in January... might load up at the deadline... might start the season overseas... it can make a difference 2-3-4 points very easy and those 2-3-4 points can change the seedings 2-3-4 positions

I dont get this crazed obsession with some people that the regular season should determin who the top playoff teams are. im sorry, but teams will coast the regular season often... coaches might need to be fired to get a team to play harder.

you say a 7 game variation in schedule strength is irrelevant but thats almost 10% of the season... its 14 points.

people need to accept that on paper teams like Nashville/Winnipeg/Washington/Pittsburgh are probably more favored by the experts than our own team is to do damage at playoff time. im not sure what the vegas odds are, but there often isnt a lot of stock put into seedings as to who is primed to win at playoff time.

will the islanders be favored over Pittsburgh if they happen to finish higher in the standings? will Calgary be favored over vegas?

the teams themselves dont complain about this... they prefer the rivalries/travel

players dont comment unless someone sticks a microphone in their face... and even then they are split and dont have a strong opinion either way

most fans dont care... I mean this has been going on for years but didnt involve Toronto before so it didnt get any attention. im sure a few fans care... you might care... there are others here im sure care. but even if the system was changed there would be just as many {more} fans that complain about the new changes
So you’d be in favour of random playoff matches? Throw the conference of playoff teams into a drum and draw the matchups?

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
So you’d be in favour of random playoff matches? Throw the conference of playoff teams into a drum and draw the matchups?

I like when you play your rivals... whats better than a redsox yankee world series? A celtic laker showdown? Patriots and who?

Most teams have either natural rivals or get rivals through playoffs. Games against rivals are biggest games

In college its insane when you play your biggest rival.

Occassionally playoffs go your way... someone else elliminates tampa. We get 3 'easy' opponents and get to finals before losing... does anyone say how great the 2018 bruins were?

Or do they just say we had an easy run in playoffs?

Easy doesnt create legend

Miricle comebacks... overcoming all odds... thats where heros and fans are born

I support a playoff system that attempts to deliver the rival matchups most fans go bloody crazy to see

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I like when you play your rivals... whats better than a redsox yankee world series? A celtic laker showdown? Patriots and who?

Most teams have either natural rivals or get rivals through playoffs. Games against rivals are biggest games

Occassionally playoffs go your way... someone else elliminates tampa. We get 3 'easy' opponents and get to finals before losing... does anyone say how great the 2018 bruins were?

I support a playoff system that attempts to deliver the rival matchups most fans go bloody crazy to see
So that’s a yes(?)

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Winning in 2011 was made sweeter because they had to beat Montreal on the road to the Cup.

The current format was introduced in 2014 and for the most part, it has worked. I am not a fan of the wild card format and believe the top 4 teams in the division should advance - certainly our friends in Poutineville wishes that were the case. Now it appears that the Atlantic will have a Metro team in the bracket that will play Tampa and that team might give Tampa a battle, unlike last year where New Jersey offered token resistance to the Lightning and that helped them when they played the Bruins in Round 2.

The playoffs are how rivalries blossom. Today Toronto has become a fierce rival of the Bruins and their fanbase absolutely despises Boston.

60 years ago was the last time Toronto beat the Bruins in a playoff series and that one was so heated the Bruins refused to shake hands with the Leafs after losing a close Game 7 at home.

What nobody knew was that was the last playoff game the Bruins would play for 9 years. The Leafs were about to become a powerhouse and a young boy in Parry Sound, Ontario worshipped them. Luckily for the Bruins, the Leafs scouts dismissed the boy as too small to play in the NHL.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
TSN690 does have one host who is a closet Bruins fan in Mitch Melnick.

I think your right but he does take the occasional jab at Bruin fans. But if you listen to McKenna or Moffat in the morning they are about as anti-Bruin as it gets. McKenna may say the odd thing like the Bruins are the best bet to upset Tampa but they say at least a hundred other ridiculous things that way offset anything positive they may say.

Reactions: Fenway

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I think your right but he does take the occasional jab at Bruin fans. But if you listen to McKenna or Moffat in the morning they are about as anti-Bruin as it gets. McKenna may say the odd thing like the Bruins are the best bet to upset Tampa but they say at least a hundred other ridiculous things that way offset anything positive they may say.

Mitch is one of us

DTXbWp6VwAAw9N5.jpg

There is no better show than his for intelligent hockey talk anywhere. He grew up when the Bruins were on Montreal cable twice as much as the Habs were as a station in Vermont picked up every TV38 game.

One thing I have learned in my lifetime, Habs fans may hate the Bruins BUT they also respect them. Toronto fans just hate us.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Mitch is one of us

DTXbWp6VwAAw9N5.jpg

There is no better show than his for intelligent hockey talk anywhere. He grew up when the Bruins were on Montreal cable twice as much as the Habs were as a station in Vermont picked up every TV38 game.

One thing I have learned in my lifetime, Habs fans may hate the Bruins BUT they also respect them. Toronto fans just hate us.

Fenway, you win the internet , that's all, you win .Cheers.

Reactions: sooshii and Fenway

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Fenway, you win the internet , that's all, you win .Cheers.

TSN 690 is a full-blown 50,000-watt clear channel station that at night can be heard in 38 states and all of eastern Canada. Even in the daytime you can hear it as far south as Manchester, NH.

A couple of years ago Bell Media wanted to rebrand the station as RDS 690 and become a French station and Canada's equivalent to the FCC ( CRTC ) denied the request saying the station must continue to be Anglo.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
One point and the Bruins clinch over Philly.

Any combination of Bruins wins/Habs losses totalling 3 clinches a playoff spot.

Any combination of Bruins wins/Leafs losses totalling 8 clinches second place.
I don't follow the Philly thing. Wouldn't that mean we clinch a playoff spot?

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
TSN 690 is a full-blown 50,000-watt clear channel station that at night can be heard in 38 states and all of eastern Canada. Even in the daytime you can hear it as far south as Manchester, NH.

A couple of years ago Bell Media wanted to rebrand the station as RDS 690 and become a French station and Canada's equivalent to the FCC ( CRTC ) denied the request saying the station must continue to be Anglo.

Bell was looking to acquire Astral media, Astral media already held 3 Anglo stations. By adding Astral media's stations to the ones that Bell already owned , they would hold more than 3 Anglo stations any company is allowed to hold . They asked the CRTC to convert it to a french station which was denied as was the merger of Bell and Astral.

We had a french language sports talk station CKAC , that converted to traffic station . One morning I'm driving to work and as the show is closing out at around 10AM, Michel Langevin, the host, just got the news. He literally had minutes to come up with his closing statements which I was totally impressed with. Now, either someone had pre-written them for him or he's amazing but it was very classy. It literally sounded like he found out seconds before closing out the show.

CKGM which was a top 40's station when I was growing up , became the Team 990 and then was converted to TSN 690 when it moved from 990 on the dial to 690. Anyway, CKGM was looking to fill the void left by CKAC, which converted to the aforementioned traffic station, on the french sports radio scene. It was through a petition, that Bell started, that the station was allowed to remain an anglo station which is now TSN 690.

That's the version I know , I may be getting a fact or two wrong but that's the general jist of it. There was even an show which was broadcast from a local bar , by the Melnick in the afternoon show, that was held to thank everyone who saved the Anglo station. It's more complicated than that, but it went something like that.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Thanks!

I'm still confused about how Philly factors into this...

Mathematically, Boston can still finish in a Wild Card Spot.

Mathematically, Philly can still catch them and knock them out of the playoffs.

3 points (I did make a mistake in my original post - its not 1 point) and Philly can no longer catch them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad