HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
upload_2019-3-24_21-55-52.png

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
The MTL@CBJ game coming up on Thursday is a critical 4 point swing for both teams - if a team gets blanked, it will make it that much harder for them to crawl back up. It's almost like a play-in game.

I hope MTL is at least in it until the last game of the season. They're playing Toronto...would be great to see them try and exhaust Toronto during that last game.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
CBJ got the 2 points they needed in Vancouver so..............:popcorn:

Isn't it nice that Bruins fans don't have to worry about making the playoffs with 12 days to go :)

upload_2019-3-25_0-40-24.png
upload_2019-3-25_0-41-28.png

upload_2019-3-25_0-38-19.png

The West wild card aye yi yi

upload_2019-3-25_0-50-36.png

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
still bothers me all this talk about poor Toronto having to face boston in this years playoffs... did anyone notice that there is now 6 or 7 teams ahead of them in the standings?

but thats not the reason I post... people say if there was a 1 vrs 8 the good teams wouldnt get eliminated first round... well did you know 11 teams had more than 100 points last year?
9 the year before
10 the year before
12 the year befor that holy crap
and 10 the year before that

how do you make any playoff format where at least 2 teams with 100 points are guaranteed to be eliminated? there is no format imaginable that you wont get a couple elliminations

im not even mentioning the number of upsets that happen where 6-7-8 seeds knock off a top team

we just saw Toronto fall from 4th to 8th in league standings in around 2 weeks... imagine if we had changed the playoff format 2 weeks ago when all this crap argument was in full force?

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The MTL@CBJ game coming up on Thursday is a critical 4 point swing for both teams - if a team gets blanked, it will make it that much harder for them to crawl back up. It's almost like a play-in game.

I hope MTL is at least in it until the last game of the season. They're playing Toronto...would be great to see them try and exhaust Toronto during that last game.

That last Toronto/Montreal will be Bob Cole's last broadcast and I sense the hockey gods want it to mean something.

I can't see the Bruins faltering but the possibility exists that that game could come down to Toronto needs 2 points for home ice and Montreal needs 2 points to make the playoffs - OH BABY

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
That last Toronto/Montreal will be Bob Cole's last broadcast and I sense the hockey gods want it to mean something.

I can't see the Bruins faltering but the possibility exists that that game could come down to Toronto needs 2 points for home ice and Montreal needs 2 points to make the playoffs - OH BABY

Wow...what a Sophie's Choice. A classic "heart vs head" dilemma.

Personally, I'd go with the head. I would never, ever say that I want the Habs to win. I would just want the Leafs to lose. Then, the Habs either get defeated by the Bolts in Round 1, or we personally thank them for their service in Round 2.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Atlantic tragic/magic numbers:

Toronto clinch third seed / BOS-TOR first round matchup: 1 (earliest possible clinch - Saturday)
Bruins clinch home ice: 5 (earliest possible clinch - Sunday)
Montreal dies/CBJ clinches: 9 (earliest possible clinch - Tuesday)

April 2 looks like it's shaping up to be a big day for the Habs, and for us. They should be rooting for us against CBJ, and for Toronto against CAR...and they're playing Toronto themselves.

Reactions: Fenway

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Atlantic tragic/magic numbers:

Toronto clinch third seed / BOS-TOR first round matchup: 1 (earliest possible clinch - Saturday)
Bruins clinch home ice: 5 (earliest possible clinch - Sunday)
Montreal dies/CBJ clinches: 9 (earliest possible clinch - Tuesday)

April 2 looks like it's shaping up to be a big day for the Habs, and for us. They should be rooting for us against CBJ, and for Toronto against CAR...and they're playing Toronto themselves.

NBC yanked the game at CBJ from NESN as they really want CBJ in the playoffs - With the NBA Cavs out of the picture Ohio could be a ratings bonanza.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Part of me thinks we should "rest" some guys against Columbus to help them beat out Montreal for that last spot, but another part of me kind of wants the Habs in the playoffs. Imagine if they pull an upset series win over Tampa? A Boston vs Julien playoff series would be intense and very entertaining, assuming the Bruins prevail.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Columbus is going to be fighting hard - even though we're their only remaining decent opponent, they want every point to ensure they don't get stunned out of the playoffs. They'd probably also prefer to face Washington as WC1 than Tampa as WC2. Not looking forward to tomorrow, especially when we're going in on a losing streak.

We've got Minnesota next on the 4th...they could easily be out of the playoffs tomorrow if either Colorado wins or they lose. If they lose, they may be pissed and angry. If they win but Colorado wins too, maybe they'll be a little more...philosophical? Hopefully? I think they've had time to deal with a distinct possibility of not making the playoffs. I also think this is the best spot for the Bruins to pick up 2 points.

I read somewhere that Tampa's planning to ice a full team for Saturday's match. In a way, I get it. I assume they'll take this week (or maybe they even took last week!) to rest their key players that need it, and Saturday's a full dress rehearsal. I wouldn't mind not going full steam ahead on Saturday, but given tha twe've had a bad weekend, maybe a kick in the pants on Saturday will get the Bruins ready for playoffs.

Say Hey Kid

Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Dec 10, 2007
It's the battle of the only O6 teams in the playoffs (if the Habs don't make it) Bruins vs Leafs. I think it will be the first time only 2 O6 teams made the playoffs, if it happens.

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
God we have a terrible road record, need home ice in round 1 BAD
I don’t know considering the dynamics involved with Boston and Toronto I wouldn’t mind starting the series in Toronto. Just get the split and come back home but that would also mean the Bruins would continue limping into the playoffs and who wants that ?

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Columbus is going to be fighting hard - even though we're their only remaining decent opponent, they want every point to ensure they don't get stunned out of the playoffs. They'd probably also prefer to face Washington as WC1 than Tampa as WC2. Not looking forward to tomorrow, especially when we're going in on a losing streak.

We've got Minnesota next on the 4th...they could easily be out of the playoffs tomorrow if either Colorado wins or they lose. If they lose, they may be pissed and angry. If they win but Colorado wins too, maybe they'll be a little more...philosophical? Hopefully? I think they've had time to deal with a distinct possibility of not making the playoffs. I also think this is the best spot for the Bruins to pick up 2 points.

I read somewhere that Tampa's planning to ice a full team for Saturday's match. In a way, I get it. I assume they'll take this week (or maybe they even took last week!) to rest their key players that need it, and Saturday's a full dress rehearsal. I wouldn't mind not going full steam ahead on Saturday, but given tha twe've had a bad weekend, maybe a kick in the pants on Saturday will get the Bruins ready for playoffs.
Let’s get this wrapped up in the next two games and ice Providence on Saturday vs Tampa . I highly doubt Tampa will have everyone playing in that game .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->