NHL 2018-2019 Standings Watch - Push To The Playoffs

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The NHL Trade Deadline is 3 PM ET February 25th - 18 days from now

The East right now is Tampa very secure as the #1 seed and then :help:

Give the man his due as Claude has Poutineville playing very good hockey - and that makes the Bruins situation more complicated.

Buffalo has faded badly but there are three teams in the Metro that can really make the Wild Card dicey - Carolina, Philadelphia and the Rangers. The B's have squandered some points in the last month that could really come back to hurt them. The Disney Death March starts a week from tonight in Anaheim :help:

upload_2019-2-8_1-2-30.png

The West is nuts because you can not rule out anyone in the WC race. LAK is dead last but they got 2 points in Philly and now they head here. Then before the B's go west they play Chicago.

upload_2019-2-8_1-35-36.png

upload_2019-2-8_1-36-59.png

From a Bruins standpoint, the next 7 games are going to be tough. LAK and Chicago should be wins but they will be hard fought.

The Ducks are in freefall but the B's NEVER play well at Honda Center. Staples Center the B's have fared well but then comes San Jose, Vegas and St. Louis and then the deadline.

I am hoping for at least 9 points in these 7 games but

Reactions: smithformeragent

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Interesting seeing St. Louis in a playoff spot, after many here were hoping they'd give away Schenn after their game in Boston.

I'm a big Pat Kane fan, and I know how much NBC would love the Hawks to make the playoffs. The two points behind aren't the issue; but the teams they'd have to jump and games in hand are.

Dallas has played Nashville pretty well head-to-head, and that could be a first round match-up. Unlikely the Stars win, but could be a good series.

It is intriguing that all the teams in the West are within striking distance; but it's due largely to how underwhelming the teams not at the top are. I heard Elliot Friedman on Tim & Sid speculate that as low as 82 points might secure that last wildcard.

Columbus will also be interesting. If they trade Bobrovsky and/or Panarin, it opens the door for other teams knocking in the East.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Interesting seeing St. Louis in a playoff spot, after many here were hoping they'd give away Schenn after their game in Boston.

I'm a big Pat Kane fan, and I know how much NBC would love the Hawks to make the playoffs. The two points behind aren't the issue; but the teams they'd have to jump and games in hand are.

Dallas has played Nashville pretty well head-to-head, and that could be a first round match-up. Unlikely the Stars win, but could be a good series.

It is intriguing that all the teams in the West are within striking distance; but it's due largely to how underwhelming the teams not at the top are. I heard Elliot Friedman on Tim & Sid speculate that as low as 82 points might secure that last wildcard.

Columbus will also be interesting. If they trade Bobrovsky and/or Panarin, it opens the door for other teams knocking in the East.

Chicago should pass Edmonton and Colorado and there is time to catch Vancouver, St. Louis or even Minnesota.

Thanks to the whacky NHL schedule the Bruins are going to be a factor on who makes it in the West.

kebab

Mar 9, 2012
Sweden
If Boston get first wildcard. Then they will play against Metropolitan teams first and second round right?

Reactions: Fenway

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
If Boston get first wildcard. Then they will play against Metropolitan teams first and second round right?

It would be amazing if they ended up beating NYI and CLB in the first two rounds.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

Yes, unless by some miracle one of the Metro teams passes the Lightning.

Actually, of all paths to the Cup, that might be the easiest. If we go through the Atlantic without the wild card, it's probably Leafs or Habs, followed by Lightning. If we go through the Atlantic with WC2, vice versa. Sliding into the Metro via WC1 would give us a first round matchup against the Isles or the Caps. It's Russian roulette, but I'd pull the trigger.

If you're in need of some hope: Bruins are on a point streak since the ASG. Just don't look up the scores.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I'd bet my house on us against the Islanders. I like how this is shaping up, Donny pulling the long con.

It might be the best road to success.

BUT - NYI will be very hard to beat in the renovated Uniondale.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
only question is are the Islanders the 3 seed or is Montreal the 3?

@CHRDANHUTCH Doesn't work that way.

The one lock is Tampa will play East Wild Card 2 in the first round and the Metro winner will play Wild Card 1.
The #2 and #3 in each division will meet - but not even Kreskin knows who those teams will be.

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
It might be the best road to success.

BUT - NYI will be very hard to beat in the renovated Uniondale.
I like the idea of playing the Isles...good well coached team but not sure their season long success is sustainable

As well, I cant stand the division format of the playoffs and would like to play someone different plus skip all the Toronto/Montreal media BS up here in Canada..

Last edited:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I think we may see a cat and mouse game develop with seeding.

Wild Card 1 is not a bad option and it might offer a better chance to Round 3 than being at Atlantic #2 or #3.

The joker in the deck could be Wild Card 2 - Not sure Tampa would be thrilled with meeting Pittsburgh in Round 1.

A Toronto/Montreal first round would be great theater as the 2 teams have not met in the playoffs for 40 years.

:popcorn:

upload_2019-2-11_2-5-39.png

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
I think we may see a cat and mouse game develop with seeding.

Wild Card 1 is not a bad option and it might offer a better chance to Round 3 than being at Atlantic #2 or #3.

The joker in the deck could be Wild Card 2 - Not sure Tampa would be thrilled with meeting Pittsburgh in Round 1.

A Toronto/Montreal first round would be great theater as the 2 teams have not met in the playoffs for 40 years.

:popcorn:

View attachment 185519

Playing around with your position in the standings to try for a more favorable matchup is just begging for the hockey gods to f*** things up for you

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
With regards to the Pastrnak injury:

B’s are pretty secure in a playoff spot.

The next few weeks could go a couple of directions in my opinion.

1. The team rallies and moves up the playoff structure. This proves that they’re clearly contenders with the addition of Pastrnak and it’s worth adding for the stretch run. First round pick is in play.

2. The team treads water and accumulates enough points to hold firm in a wild card spot. This blurs the lines as to what they are in terms of their ceiling. Worth adding depth pieces to? Worth mortgaging futures on?

3. The team struggles. This shows that they lack the necessary depth to make a run at things even with a healthy Pastrnak come playoff time. Perhaps this provides the reasoning they need to punt on the season and either stand pat or sell.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
With regards to the Pastrnak injury:

B’s are pretty secure in a playoff spot.

The next few weeks could go a couple of directions in my opinion.

1. The team rallies and moves up the playoff structure. This proves that they’re clearly contenders with the addition of Pastrnak and it’s worth adding for the stretch run. First round pick is in play.

2. The team treads water and accumulates enough points to hold firm in a wild card spot. This blurs the lines as to what they are in terms of their ceiling. Worth adding depth pieces to? Worth mortgaging futures on?

3. The team struggles. This shows that they lack the necessary depth to make a run at things even with a healthy Pastrnak come playoff time. Perhaps this provides the reasoning they need to punt on the season and either stand pat or sell.

@smithformeragent A week in it looks like the team has taken option 1

At least, for now, they have a little safety net above the wild card vortex hell

upload_2019-2-17_1-48-41.png

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Today - The NHL is Tampa Bay and then everybody else.

The salary cap has done what the owners wanted - parity for as many teams as possible.
upload_2019-2-17_2-37-30.png

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Today - The NHL is Tampa Bay and then everybody else.

The salary cap has done what the owners wanted - parity for as many teams as possible.
View attachment 187777

As of now, the overly injured Bruins team that passed on Barzal and Connor to draft DeBrusk an Senyshyn and that has Sweeney the Dud and his Beleskey and Backes signings and has only one scoring line and an over the hill 5y ago Chara and also totally reliant on their PP with a goalie who is never statistically a #1 in October with a plethora of sophomore slumps is #6 in the NHL.

Only 5 teams in the NHL have a better season than the Bruins right now.

7pts up on the stinky Habs.

Eat that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad