NHL 2018-2019 Standings Watch - Push To The Playoffs

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Ton of games to be played still to even know how this craziness will end up

On this date 3 years ago we were sure the Bruins were safely in the playoffs.....

upload_2019-3-4_20-57-18.png
upload_2019-3-4_21-0-2.png

It didn't end well

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
im still concerned some people seem very hurt that a team with more regular season points might get eliminated in the playoffs while a team with less points might go through... so I will make a couple more points to try to ease your suffering

1/in the last 3 years there was 7 first round upsets. 7 out of 24 playoff rounds went to the bottom team anyhow. sure, usually the better team wins but even if you reseeded to give the top 8 regular season point getters the 'easier' matchup, around 33% are still going to end up losing. deal with it

2/right now Toronto people are freaked they are going to get pancaked by boston while a 'lesser' team will get a chance to go through. so who are the top 8 teams and which are the lesser ones?

would you take Toronto over...
tampa? no
Calgary? really would you?
boston?
Washington?
Nashville or Winnipeg? I know I wouldn't...
san jose? I mean really would you?

theres really only 1 team in the top 8 I think you can build a case that Toronto might be more deserving... that's the islanders. but honestly people theres no guarantee islanders wont struggle down the stretch and maybe Pittsburgh or Columbus would be a top 2 seed in the metropolitian. do we bet on Toronto over either of these teams?

im sorry... I wont shed tears over Toronto being shafted by this unfair playoff setting. the 8 teams that are going to get the 'easy' matchups all deserve it... and there are NO EASY MATCHUPS anyhow... maybe whover gets the second wildcard in the west and ends up with dallas might think they got an easy matchup I don't know... but a tiny voice in me says that's probably going to be the upset anyhow lol

at playoff time... you win or you go home. whoever is put in front of you. beat them or you don't deserve to be the champs. regular season is a way to keep us all entertained and put some money in the players/owners pockets but playoffs is the only time anyone of us actually cares who won/lost

trust me... our team won the president trophy and then got knocked out first round and I tried to post here that the season was successful and people screamed at me that the team sucked.

no one cares about the regular season

Reactions: LouisSleigher

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I hate the new format so much.

Go back to 1-8 with top two as division winners, and rest seeded by points. Doesn't matter what division, or how many from said division.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

Go back to 1-8 with top two as division winners, and rest seeded by points. Doesn't matter what division, or how many from said division.
this is the way it will be unless you want Boston to draw a Pacific team twice in the playoffs

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
this is the way it will be unless you want Boston to draw a Pacific team twice in the playoffs
This literally doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Eastern Conference:
1 (Tampa) plays 8 (MTL)
2 (NYI) play 7 (Pitt)
3 (BOS) plays 6 (Car)
4 ( Tor) plays 5 (WSH)

2nd round: highest remaining plays lowest remaining, then other two play each other. I 1 plays 5, 3 plays 4.

Not sure what is difficult to understand there.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
This literally doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Eastern Conference:
1 (Tampa) plays 8 (MTL)
2 (NYI) play 7 (Pitt)
3 (BOS) plays 6 (Car)
4 ( Tor) plays 5 (WSH)

2nd round: highest remaining plays lowest remaining, then other two play each other. I 1 plays 5, 3 plays 4.

Not sure what is difficult to understand there.
I agree with you on first round seeding, but I think it should be a bracket without any re-seeding after that. If low seed upsets a high seed team (8 Beats 1) they shouldn’t be penalized again by having to automatically play the remaining high seed in subsequent rounds.

Put the 1-8 & 4-5 in one half of the bracket and the 2-7 & 3-6 in the other (Division Champs get the 1 & 2 seeds regardless of record).

Better for office pools that way...

Last edited:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

agreed, like the shootout, I`ll never understand or be able to accept how a team with less points should ever be ahead of a team with more in the standings

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
17 game point streak and yet only 3 pts separate the Bs from the laffs. And they're still not close to catching Tampa.

It's crazy. And even more crazy when you look at the Metro points/standings :laugh:

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
17 game point streak and yet only 3 pts separate the Bs from the laffs. And they're still not close to catching Tampa.

It's crazy. And even more crazy when you look at the Metro points/standings :laugh:
It's insane how good the top 3 in the Atlantic are.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
A couple of years on Sportsnet one of the pundits told Bettman he had a wonderful idea on fixing the playoffs.

As soon as the season ends and the teams are ranked 1-16, you being in the GM's of the Top 8 teams and starting with the #1 seed THEY PICK THE TEAM they would meet and then down the ladder and then you do it again for each round. Bettman simply said 'That would make compelling TV" :help:

Reactions: jangerhofer

prizminferno

Feb 14, 2019
A couple of years on Sportsnet one of the pundits told Bettman he had a wonderful idea on fixing the playoffs.

As soon as the season ends and the teams are ranked 1-16, you being in the GM's of the Top 8 teams and starting with the #1 seed THEY PICK THE TEAM they would meet and then down the ladder and then you do it again for each round. Bettman simply said 'That would make compelling TV" :help:
They do this in some leagues. It would be great.

Reactions: Fenway

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
its funny as i continue to hear people complain about the playoffs. today on overdrive i hear dreagor and the boys complaining

how is Toronto going to face the third overall team? and Pittsburgh gets an easy matchup like the islanders they ask

what?

what is boston a tough matchup... but Pittsburgh is getting an easy matchup?

are we judging this on points in regular season??? because islanders have a lot more points than Pittsburgh right? why isn't islanders considered a hard matchup?

honestly it DOESNT MATTER HOW MANY REGULAR POINTS YOU HAVE... a tough matchup is going to be tough. a tough matchup might occur at any seeding. the first place team might get taken to game 7 because it just happens by luck of draw that the wildcard team is a tough matchup. maybe its the 3-6 seed?

you never know until the final game of the season... playoff matchups will change day to day in early march. teams move from 6th to 5th place... from 4th to 7th... its all separated by a win so the matchups change every night

sometimes a second seed and third seed are destined to play. 95% of us would have bet good money in sept that we would be playing leafs again this year in round 1. it was the heavily favored first round matchup. Toronto has had boston in their heads the entire season, and they prayed it wouldn't happen. there was hope maybe buffalo would get in. Toronto thought buffalo would be an easy matchup

why? if buffalo had gotten 3rd seed... why would they be easy? if they had more regular season points than boston, why would buffalo be easy? isn't the entire argument supposedly about regular season points?

why is boston a much more difficult matchup than buffalo would have been if buffalo finished higher?

we know the answer... some teams are just built for playoff hockey.
so... why does it matter who has regular season points. regular season points don't matter

you play 7 PLAYOFF GAMES.... best record advances. Its a new season

Toronto got screwed by their matchup but honestly if they were a better team it wouldn't matter.
if they could beat boston… it wouldn't matter.
the real complaint needs to be, why don't you get some dmen
why don't you get some forwards that can handle the passionate 2-way hockey battles

if we were playing tampa/Washington/montreal in round 1 i would feel dread too.
i get it when you are playing a team that you think will beat you... yes, it causes unhappiness
but ultimately, you have to win these games if you want the cup

if you want the cup... beat anyone you play... if you cant do that, you didn't deserve the cup
if you are losing the cup it doesn't matter how far you went

i point out boston had the second most trips to the cup finals of any franchise in my lifetime... the comeback 'how many times did they win?'

i say we went to the finals in 2013... got past the first round 5 out of 7 years... the comeback i hear 'yeah but they only won one cup'

we cant have it both ways... you have voted. only cup wins matter. so who cares what your first round matchup is? i guess if your team got eliminated, its less fun for you... but for the rest of us? who cares?

people say that the second round wont be as good if Toronto gets eliminated? really?

are you telling me that tampa/pittsburgh is a better matchup than tampa/boston in round II???
and even if Toronto avoided boston in round 1 they would still get us in round II

if anyone should complain about the seedings i guess it should be us... avoiding tampa in round II and getting Toronto instead would be easier for us.

i mean... what a lot of freaking out over nothing

the ONLY way to really make sure you get the opponent you want is to allow you to pick it. if you want to support picking your opponents i could get behind that. otherwise, all this complaining is only there for the sake of complaining. there is no way to fix it.

{i did hear one good argument today though... that the wildcard actually ruins the idea of creating rivalries. i agree. the wildcard was created because someone was butt hurt that the 5th team on one side had more points than the 4th on the other side... and now we have screwy matchups in round 1. teams are getting 'harder matchups.' if no one complained about this in the first place they would have left well enough alone. it was better before wildcards.}

people used to complain about 1-8... and now look. whats the lesson learnt? stop your complaining because the alternative is worst. learn a lesson

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
are we judging this on points in regular season???

Why yes. Because that’s, you know, how teams are seeded. That’s how teams miss the playoffs despite having (possibly significantly) more points than one or several teams who made the playoffs in other, weaker, divisions/conferences.

It’s easy enough to say ”deal with it”, but right now the #2 team in the NHL is due to face the #5 team (#4 if the Sharks lose the game they have in hand on Toronto). And the #13 team is out of the playoffs while the #17/18 team is in.

nazartp

Apr 5, 2006
Sorry
its funny as i continue to hear people complain about the playoffs. today on overdrive i hear dreagor and the boys complaining

how is Toronto going to face the third overall team? and Pittsburgh gets an easy matchup like the islanders they ask

what?

what is boston a tough matchup... but Pittsburgh is getting an easy matchup?

are we judging this on points in regular season??? because islanders have a lot more points than Pittsburgh right? why isn't islanders considered a hard matchup?

honestly it DOESNT MATTER HOW MANY REGULAR POINTS YOU HAVE... a tough matchup is going to be tough. a tough matchup might occur at any seeding. the first place team might get taken to game 7 because it just happens by luck of draw that the wildcard team is a tough matchup. maybe its the 3-6 seed?

you never know until the final game of the season... playoff matchups will change day to day in early march. teams move from 6th to 5th place... from 4th to 7th... its all separated by a win so the matchups change every night

sometimes a second seed and third seed are destined to play. 95% of us would have bet good money in sept that we would be playing leafs again this year in round 1. it was the heavily favored first round matchup. Toronto has had boston in their heads the entire season, and they prayed it wouldn't happen. there was hope maybe buffalo would get in. Toronto thought buffalo would be an easy matchup

why? if buffalo had gotten 3rd seed... why would they be easy? if they had more regular season points than boston, why would buffalo be easy? isn't the entire argument supposedly about regular season points?

why is boston a much more difficult matchup than buffalo would have been if buffalo finished higher?

we know the answer... some teams are just built for playoff hockey.
so... why does it matter who has regular season points. regular season points don't matter

you play 7 PLAYOFF GAMES.... best record advances. Its a new season

Toronto got screwed by their matchup but honestly if they were a better team it wouldn't matter.
if they could beat boston… it wouldn't matter.
the real complaint needs to be, why don't you get some dmen
why don't you get some forwards that can handle the passionate 2-way hockey battles

if we were playing tampa/Washington/montreal in round 1 i would feel dread too.
i get it when you are playing a team that you think will beat you... yes, it causes unhappiness
but ultimately, you have to win these games if you want the cup

if you want the cup... beat anyone you play... if you cant do that, you didn't deserve the cup
if you are losing the cup it doesn't matter how far you went

i point out boston had the second most trips to the cup finals of any franchise in my lifetime... the comeback 'how many times did they win?'

i say we went to the finals in 2013... got past the first round 5 out of 7 years... the comeback i hear 'yeah but they only won one cup'

we cant have it both ways... you have voted. only cup wins matter. so who cares what your first round matchup is? i guess if your team got eliminated, its less fun for you... but for the rest of us? who cares?

people say that the second round wont be as good if Toronto gets eliminated? really?

are you telling me that tampa/pittsburgh is a better matchup than tampa/boston in round II???
and even if Toronto avoided boston in round 1 they would still get us in round II

if anyone should complain about the seedings i guess it should be us... avoiding tampa in round II and getting Toronto instead would be easier for us.

i mean... what a lot of freaking out over nothing

the ONLY way to really make sure you get the opponent you want is to allow you to pick it. if you want to support picking your opponents i could get behind that. otherwise, all this complaining is only there for the sake of complaining. there is no way to fix it.

{i did hear one good argument today though... that the wildcard actually ruins the idea of creating rivalries. i agree. the wildcard was created because someone was butt hurt that the 5th team on one side had more points than the 4th on the other side... and now we have screwy matchups in round 1. teams are getting 'harder matchups.' if no one complained about this in the first place they would have left well enough alone. it was better before wildcards.}

people used to complain about 1-8... and now look. whats the lesson learnt? stop your complaining because the alternative is worst. learn a lesson

Sorry, that's just not on the point. For regular season to matter your regular season points should matter. Right now the system is rigged to allow weak divisions to have significant representation in the playoffs. It's been done two iterations ago already - when they started seeding three division leaders as first in the playoffs and the rest filled in the remaining spots. This iteration added an aspect of in-the-division play in the playoffs, which in addition to rewarding sucky division leaders punishes strong divisions. And if the measurement of success is the cups - what would you rather see your team face in round 1 - a #3 team in the conference or #7? And would you rather meet Tampa in conference finals or in round 2? I, actually, was OK with the prior version. A person watching the West Conference team may disagree due to travel.

Reactions: Jdavidev

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
They do this in some leagues. It would be great.

The SHL stopped doing this six years ago. I really didn’t mind it since it made for great entertainment when the #1 seed was eliminated by whichever team they picked, especially teams that played it cute and picked someone they thought they’d match up better against (even though the team was significantly better than a lower-ranked team that was still up for grabs).

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
my dream playoff format for the near future

top 2 seeds in all 4 divisions get a bye into the 'real playoffs'

next 4 teams in each division get a 'two' game playin {games back to back so the other teams don't sit around gathering rust}

the deal is... if team 3 or team 4 beats team 5 or team 6 one single time in those 2 games... they advance. teams 5 and 6 would need to sweep both playin games to advance

this gives teams 3/4 a heavy advantage since they only need to win 1 playin game

now the matchups are simple... 1 plays 4 in the division... 2 plays 3...
round next... winners play...

round next is where I shake things up again... the four conference reps get seeded based on regular season... this will allow for the possibility of the 2 best teams from the same conference having a chance to meet for the cup and really encourages rivalries to become legendary

my dream playoffs increase the number of teams with a chance to play in playoffs from just 16 to 24
but it still heavily favors the top 16

eliminates the wild card which really... serves no purpose. that 5th place team that used to get jobbed now has a chance to playin its own division. that 4th team that had an unfair place in the playoffs must now earn it in the playin

the top 2 teams get an advantage being rested for playoffs while the teams 3/4 might get tired out or injured in those playin games.

so I have tried to make the regular season more meaningful... tried to encourage rivalries in the playoffs... tried to get everyone a chance to play in playoffs that have an argument they deserve to be there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad