Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
:popcorn:

upload_2019-2-27_0-17-1.png

Reactions: Boston Bandit

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Three games remaining for us against CBJ, no? Even if the first one doesn't count in tiebreaker...kind of wild that we haven't seen them yet this season, and now we face them after their being buffed up after the trade deadline.

Reactions: Hamilton Brian

Boston Bandit

Aug 2, 2005
Always the Habs.

I kinda wish we could takeout TOR & MON in the playoffs, so we can crush the souls of their fans, but I know we won't face both..

**Plus, it would be risky and you never know who can take a series in the playoffs no matter what the records are

Wiggleboom

Feb 6, 2010
Vancouver
I much prefer the old system to the new but I guess knocking off Toronto in the 1st round will have to do
No we wouldn’t. We would play Toronto. TB, NYI and Wash would be the division winners (under the most recent previous system) and we would be 4th and Toronto 5th.

If you mean using the old system with current divisions, we would play Carolina (we would be 3rd since NYI is a division winner and would be 2nd).

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I kinda wish we could takeout TOR & MON in the playoffs, so we can crush the souls of their fans, but I know we won't face both..

**Plus, it would be risky and you never know who can take a series in the playoffs no matter what the records are

that 2011 run was so beautiful

got to knock out hated montreal round 1
avenge our 3 game sweep to philly in round 2
beat the super team tampa in round 3
and the most obnoxious fan base in the nhl in finals

those canuck fans still hate us to this day... a delicious crush to them

if I had my pick this year...
let montreal catch Toronto for 3rd seed... get them first round
let Toronto fans get high beating tampa… only to get crushed by us second round
don't really care who we get out of the other side... make it Washington defending champs
and for the finals
if oilers could miraculously make playoffs... get on a run... and then we crush them
that would avengence the 1980-1990s loses

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
not sure how many other teams, with the multitude of injuries and not just to depth players but true top end talent this team had, they are where they are yet again this year.

Real testament to the resolve in that room. When I get on the bi*** and moan train as I do at times, I just have to look at things with a different perspective

Wonder how the Bolts would have done without Hedman and Kucherov out at the same time with others as well?

Reactions: Boston Bandit

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
In case anyone was wondering, if we didn't change the playoff bracketing systems we'd play the HABS in round one, blegh
1) Tampa v 8) Pittsburgh
2) Boston v 7)Montreal
3) Islanders v 6) Carolina
4) Toronto v 5) Washington

I wish they would go back to the old system. The new system rewards underachieving teams in bad conferences. I know that they are trying to go for the whole "building up division rivalries" angle, but they can do that with inter conference rivals as well while not punishing good teams.

nazartp

Apr 5, 2006
I wish they would go back to the old system. The new system rewards underachieving teams in bad conferences. I know that they are trying to go for the whole "building up division rivalries" angle, but they can do that with inter conference rivals as well while not punishing good teams.
You mean to the one before seeding division leaders as first three in the conference and then seeding the rest or the one before that (1-8 based on points in the conference)? The the immediately prior to the current one was the product of the, whatever the hell the name was, Southeast division nearly missing on the playoffs altogether. I believe Carolina squeaked in and immediately met the top seed. The idea was to get even the weakest division leader some chance by seeding them against the lower tier team. I am all for the 1-8 seeding in the conference, especially given the fact that at this point there is no threat that the current division will not be represented. Rivalries be damned, IMHO, because i) we are back to the situation that there is clearly a stronger division and its teams beat each other up in the playoffs, and ii) at this point I'd rather see someone else, but Toronto.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
in the nhl hockey talk forum... winter soldier started a post back in December how the bruins had gotten healthy

many many many maple leaf fans responded how the bruins wouldn't catch buffalo even... had absolutely no chance of catching Toronto

I chimed in how fun it would be to catch and pass them again just like we did last year...

and now I must say, after accomplishing the feat... it was every bit as fun as I thought

I wonder how close we can get to tampa before we have to cede top spot to them? its a shame we had those crippling injuries that just wiped us out for the first 1/4 of the season. I think we would be a lot closer to tampa if we had comparable health

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

if you go back and check the results... you will find year after year where a team benefits from a weak division.

montreal used to be in the Norris division with 4 other suckville teams... and they would just dominate regular season results because they owned their division rivals.

we were in the much tougher adams division... it was a chore for us to make the playoffs...

go back further to the 12 team league... Chicago was the only established team put with the expansion teams and look at how many trips into the playoffs they made

if you are basing playoffs on regular season... then you have to balance regular season

on the flip side... if you freak out because regular season seeded the teams... then look closer at the regular season.

people are saying poor Pittsburgh... not because they think Pittsburgh sucks based on regular season... they actually say Pittsburgh is much better than regular season

we say Toronto sucks... not because they are struggling in regular season... their record is pretty good... but we know their team sucks because they have no defense.

if I had to pick between playing Toronto or Pittsburgh/Washington/Columbus in round 1 id much much much rather play Toronto

regular season results are often influenced by games in sept/oct/nov that really have almost nothing to do with how a team plays in april/may

its a lot of grief over nothing but semantics. theres very good real reasons for this playoff format and only a very misguided emotional reason to ache for a change.

heres an idea for you though... you want top teams to be 'rewarded' for regular season... heres an idea

let the number 1 team PICK their opponent... and the number 2 team goes next and PICKS... and so on
reseed in round 2... best surviving team PICKS their opponent

that would give the top seed an edge in who they play if anything would

{I also favor the idea that top seed only needs to win 3 games to eliminate lower seed... lower seed needs to win 4 games. all series would only go 6 games not 7... final 2 rounds can go seven and be balanced but first 2 rounds go a maximum of six}

I don't mind giving the top finisher an edge... but seeding the playoffs 1-8 makes no sense at all

Reactions: jangerhofer

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Counting down: What to look for in Bruins’ final 17 games - The Boston Globe

Good read. I enjoyed # 17 the most.

17. First guy through the gate Tuesday night sporting an Ulf Samuelsson Whaler sweater (vintage 1984-91) might want to know that B’s president Cam Neely sees all from the ninth floor, six floors above ice level. Your running start might come in handy. The Mass General ER is no more than three blocks to the southwest.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Playoffs started today
Bos 87 pts vs Tor 84 pts
Wash 83 pts vs Pitt 77 pts
NYI 81 pts vs Canes 78pts
Best Part is Washington gets homeice over everyone but Tampa.Now that is one messed up setup.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad