NHL 2018-2019 Standings Watch - Push To The Playoffs

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Sorry

Sorry, that's just not on the point. For regular season to matter your regular season points should matter. Right now the system is rigged to allow weak divisions to have significant representation in the playoffs. It's been done two iterations ago already - when they started seeding three division leaders as first in the playoffs and the rest filled in the remaining spots. This iteration added an aspect of in-the-division play in the playoffs, which in addition to rewarding sucky division leaders punishes strong divisions. And if the measurement of success is the cups - what would you rather see your team face in round 1 - a #3 team in the conference or #7? And would you rather meet Tampa in conference finals or in round 2? I, actually, was OK with the prior version. A person watching the West Conference team may disagree due to travel.

if you want the regular season game points to matter that much... don't you need to balance the regular season? its like college football. you get 1 team that goes undefeated playing in a weak conference... then 2 teams play for the championship despite have a loss because they are both in murder conferences

you simply cant blindly say regular season matters that much unless you have a way of making the regular season fair and equal for everyone

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
if you want the regular season game points to matter that much... don't you need to balance the regular season? its like college football. you get 1 team that goes undefeated playing in a weak conference... then 2 teams play for the championship despite have a loss because they are both in murder conferences

you simply cant blindly say regular season matters that much unless you have a way of making the regular season fair and equal for everyone

I mean baseball doesn't do this right? you don't worry that a better team in American league might get eliminated while a national team has it easy???

does football care? if new England is getting easier opponents while the NFC sees 2 top teams knock each other out? is there an outcry over it? do they change their rules?

I know in the cfl... its been about 40 years where the west kills itself and a single team in the east gets a free walk

is basketball worried that san Antonio and Houston and golden state all kill each other off while levar james was getting a free walk in the east?

I never heard that...

its a big deal right now because the center of the universe is crying over having to play boston… but this situation pops up nearly everyyear. the only time anyone cares about it is when it effects a team we cheer for.

a few of you might also care... you are the minority. it seems you have more support because Toronto screams 99 times louder then any other team when something goes against them. but theres no support for a playoff change with the masses or with the league decision makers. its a non-issue

this current playoff system makes sense for business

complainers are going to complain
but this system gets less complaints than the last one did

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
With a month to go the East is realistically down to 9 teams with Philly on life support.

I think Columbus is in BIG trouble as they have to play the Bruins THREE times and GM Jarmo Kekalainen decided to go all in knowing that 2 of his best players are heading elsewhere next year. The moves he made at the deadline were structured for a possible Cup run BUT you have to make playoffs and that is far from a sure thing. The sad reality is the only major impact the Blue Jackets have made in the NHL is the netting now installed in every arena. They have never won a playoff series and their hardcore puckheads are getting frustrated.

On the other hand, we know that Claude Julien does not have a good track record getting a bubble team to finish above the cut line.

upload_2019-3-8_2-44-44.png

The West? :help: BUT if somehow the B's make it out of the East, there is no team out there that is better than them.

upload_2019-3-8_3-27-9.png

What I find ironic is the 2 teams that spent a good chunk of the preseason in China could very well meet in June.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
With a month to go the East is realistically down to 9 teams with Philly on life support.

I think Columbus is in BIG trouble as they have to play the Bruins THREE times and GM Jarmo Kekalainen decided to go all in knowing that 2 of his best players are heading elsewhere next year. The moves he made at the deadline were structured for a possible Cup run BUT you have to make playoffs and that is far from a sure thing. The sad reality is the only major impact the Blue Jackets have made in the NHL is the netting now installed in every arena. They have never won a playoff series and their hardcore puckheads are getting frustrated.

On the other hand, we know that Claude Julien does not have a good track record getting a bubble team to finish above the cut line.

View attachment 196809

The West? :help: BUT if somehow the B's make it out of the East, there is no team out there that is better than them.

View attachment 196811

What I find ironic is the 2 teams that spent a good chunk of the preseason in China could very well meet in June.
i am surprised Gilbert has not looked at buying the jackets and moving them to the renovated q. The ahl team he owns has been extremely successful since San Jose moved the Barons to worcester and Gilbert brought in the old utah ahl team.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
4 pts of breathing room between the B's and the Laffs with the same amount of games played.

That's huge.

Need to keep this streak going again OTT tomorrow cause the road gets a little bumpy after that!

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
i am surprised Gilbert has not looked at buying the jackets and moving them to the renovated q. The ahl team he owns has been extremely successful since San Jose moved the Barons to worcester and Gilbert brought in the old utah ahl team.
Centrum:

that's like moving Ohio State to Cleveland Browns Stadium, you think Michigan and Michigan State are rivals, imagine BU playing in the ACC against BC you want to talk rivalry....

the reason Gilbert bought Utah AT THE TIME has been beaten to death on the AHL boards..... UTAH was sued BY BOTH Dallas and Arizona for non payment of affiliation, and Arizona HAD SIGNED a 3 year PDC, when the Utah ownership walked away from the AHL.... IT had nothing to do with San Jose, that team had to agree to leave Cleveland because Gilbert bought the assets from the Sharks original ownership, it wasn't even a title sponsor there... Gilbert himself is from MI, where QL is also based

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Strange but true: If the playoffs were today, we'd be guaranteed home ice in three of the four rounds. Not the FIRST three rounds, but three rounds.

I'm glad we're putting distance between us and Toronto right now. It gives Butch absolutely no excuse not to rest players during the last week.

Greyhounds

Sep 30, 2005
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
https://www.tsn.ca/video/mckenzie-implication-is-bettman-nhl-like-the-playoff-format-as-is~1631370

Leafs Lunch guest host Gord Miller with Dave Feschuk are joined by TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie to get his take on the current playoff format and what the reaction was when that conversation was brought up at the GM meetings.
How about they keep this format in the western conference, and have a one through eight format in the east?
That would keep the west happy with travel concerns, and give us more variety in the east.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
How about they keep this format in the western conference, and have a one through eight format in the east?
That would keep the west happy with travel concerns, and give us more variety in the east.
ONE THING THE NHLPA and it has to be uniform, because by 2021 you will have 4 8 team divisions .

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Still on this playoff changy thing. Yesterday i hear many people say they want to see the best teams compete for cup

So my question becomes

What about playoff upsets

The most popular sports tournament is march madness. How boring would it be if there was no upsets? The upsets are what lead the news cycle

The upsets are what fuel the betting and pools and that is what makes it the most popular tournament

IN soccor world cup all the attention in round 1 goes to the group of death.

In college football they dont just hand the playoffs to the team with best record because the regular season is not ballanced. They need to pick opponents. Regular season cant determin it

The most popular playoffs in na and in world dont use regular season to seed... and they love upsets

If nhl wants to grow... wants to encourage betting... then having situations like this where the underdog has a chance is the way to succeed

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Bruins are playing playoff hockey and some in the hockey world are saying Tampa is getting complacent. I don't buy into that too much as great teams know when to turn it on.

Say what you want about the Canadian Media and their love for the Leafs and Canadian Teams (I ask you honestly, do you really expect them to satisfy the American Market? That's not why they exist).

But that Canadian Media, man to man, woman to woman, almost unanimously agree that the team with the best opportunity to knock off the Lightning is the Bruins. So I don't buy into those that say they have no love for the Bruins.

I'll say what I said in one of our podcasts immediately following the 2015 draft (although @DKH get all the credit for it): The Bruins will be a serious playoff contender within 3 years and a serious Cup contender in 4 to 5 years. This is year 4.

Yes, early this season things did not look well. But you can't underestimate the injuries. If you believe in the "points lost due to injury" stats, that say the Bruins have lost 15 points due to injury, where would that put them? The PK sans Chara and Bergeron were 26th - 28th in the league. The kids weren't producing as they had hoped, but taking out that leadership that helps guide these kids through tough times hurt them.

The streak is awesome. I wouldn't want it any other way. But the stat that stands out to me the most that says the Bruins are ready for the playoffs is a simple one. On February 1, it was a one team race for the Jennings Trophy. The Islanders had a commanding lead over the Bruins, but the Stars were in between, 7 back of New York.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Still on this playoff changy thing. Yesterday i hear many people say they want to see the best teams compete for cup

So my question becomes

What about playoff upsets

The most popular sports tournament is march madness. How boring would it be if there was no upsets? The upsets are what lead the news cycle

The upsets are what fuel the betting and pools and that is what makes it the most popular tournament

IN soccor world cup all the attention in round 1 goes to the group of death.

In college football they dont just hand the playoffs to the team with best record because the regular season is not ballanced. They need to pick opponents. Regular season cant determin it

The most popular playoffs in na and in world dont use regular season to seed... and they love upsets

If nhl wants to grow... wants to encourage betting... then having situations like this where the underdog has a chance is the way to succeed
I generally like the playoff system. Encouraging divisional rivalries is healthy for the league. If occasionally you have situation like this year where Atlantic is so much better than Pacific, so be it.

The only change I would make to playoffs is that if 2 wild card teams are from different division I would have them each play team in their division, regardless of which wild card team has better record. This further supports divisional rivalries and lessens incentive for 3rd place team to want to fall to WC to play easier team in other division.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I generally like the playoff system. Encouraging divisional rivalries is healthy for the league. If occasionally you have situation like this year where Atlantic is so much better than Pacific, so be it.

The only change I would make to playoffs is that if 2 wild card teams are from different division I would have them each play team in their division, regardless of which wild card team has better record. This further supports divisional rivalries and lessens incentive for 3rd place team to want to fall to WC to play easier team in other division.

Wouldn't work.

Example: If the two wild card teams are from the Metro, and they both play Metro teams, who do the 3 teams in the Atlantic play? Obviously Toronto and Boston would meet today, but who is Tampa's opponent?

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Wouldn't work.

Example: If the two wild card teams are from the Metro, and they both play Metro teams, who do the 3 teams in the Atlantic play? Obviously Toronto and Boston would meet today, but who is Tampa's opponent?
If the wild card teams are from same division, I wouldn't change anything. Only if from different division.

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Bruins are playing playoff hockey and some in the hockey world are saying Tampa is getting complacent. I don't buy into that too much as great teams know when to turn it on.

Say what you want about the Canadian Media and their love for the Leafs and Canadian Teams (I ask you honestly, do you really expect them to satisfy the American Market? That's not why they exist).

But that Canadian Media, man to man, woman to woman, almost unanimously agree that the team with the best opportunity to knock off the Lightning is the Bruins. So I don't buy into those that say they have no love for the Bruins.

I'll say what I said in one of our podcasts immediately following the 2015 draft (although @DKH get all the credit for it): The Bruins will be a serious playoff contender within 3 years and a serious Cup contender in 4 to 5 years. This is year 4.

Yes, early this season things did not look well. But you can't underestimate the injuries. If you believe in the "points lost due to injury" stats, that say the Bruins have lost 15 points due to injury, where would that put them? The PK sans Chara and Bergeron were 26th - 28th in the league. The kids weren't producing as they had hoped, but taking out that leadership that helps guide these kids through tough times hurt them.

The streak is awesome. I wouldn't want it any other way. But the stat that stands out to me the most that says the Bruins are ready for the playoffs is a simple one. On February 1, it was a one team race for the Jennings Trophy. The Islanders had a commanding lead over the Bruins, but the Stars were in between, 7 back of New York.

They are out by mid May this year but next year parade

I can see Toronto catching them this year based on brutal schedule last dozen games

However even as 3 seed I’m picking Boston over Leafs

However

Tampa prevails in long great series

But Bruins

2020 Stanley Cup Champs

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005

I am a VERY proud Canadian and an ever prouder Saskatchewanian.

I, like MANY Canadians, cheer for an amercian original 6 team.

Do you not think that should come in to the thought process?

I could give you a boat load of examples of lack of non Pro-Bruins.

Saturday night, 3rd period against Ottawa. Sens score to make it 2-1, Greg Millen says "Well, I wonder if that's it for the Magic for Boston"?

Watch the Leafs/Bruins playoffs from last year. You'll see and hear MANY examples of Pro-Toronto moments. I honestly think Hughson tries more than Simpsons or Healy who isn't there anymore.

Do you think that NBC covers the NHL, as a whole, with a Pro-Amercian team mentality? If you do, I'd love some examples.

Reactions: MoffitMan

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I am a VERY proud Canadian and an ever prouder Saskatchewanian.

I, like MANY Canadians, cheer for an amercian original 6 team.

Do you not think that should come in to the thought process?

I could give you a boat load of examples of lack of non Pro-Bruins.

Saturday night, 3rd period against Ottawa. Sens score to make it 2-1, Greg Millen says "Well, I wonder if that's it for the Magic for Boston"?

Watch the Leafs/Bruins playoffs from last year. You'll see and hear MANY examples of Pro-Toronto moments. I honestly think Hughson tries more than Simpsons or Healy who isn't there anymore.

Do you think that NBC covers the NHL, as a whole, with a Pro-Amercian team mentality? If you do, I'd love some examples.

HNIC/Sportsnet isn't the only hockey coverage in Canada. You should know that. If you are only getting negativity about the Bruins, then you aren't listening.

Trade deadline day on TSN, not one of the media people picked Toronto to beat Boston in the playoffs. Zero.

I'm a Bruins fan living in a major Toronto market. But I understand the overwhelming majority of hockey fans in the country are Leaf fans first and Canadiens fans second. When the Leafs were last in Vancouver, Leaf fans drowned out Canuck fans easily. It's the way it is and I've learned to accept it.

It is a money driven business and you cater to the majority if you want to have success and survive.

This has nothing to do with NBC. But I will say this, I've watched many of Bruins games on NBC where the Bruins were second fiddle to whoever the opposition was on that given day by the media.

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
HNIC/Sportsnet isn't the only hockey coverage in Canada. You should know that. If you are only getting negativity about the Bruins, then you aren't listening.

Trade deadline day on TSN, not one of the media people picked Toronto to beat Boston in the playoffs. Zero.

I'm a Bruins fan living in a major Toronto market. But I understand the overwhelming majority of hockey fans in the country are Leaf fans first and Canadiens fans second. When the Leafs were last in Vancouver, Leaf fans drowned out Canuck fans easily. It's the way it is and I've learned to accept it.

It is a money driven business and you cater to the majority if you want to have success and survive.

This has nothing to do with NBC. But I will say this, I've watched many of Bruins games on NBC where the Bruins were second fiddle to whoever the opposition was on that given day by the media.

TSN has more of an even way of thinking for the NHL. Sportsnet/HNIC/CBC is very pro canadian and toronto.

My complaints are strictly broadcast. I love most of the TSN folks and have met many of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad