Speculation: 2018-2019 Sharks Roster Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
i want Kreider at the deadline. Labanc + Braun is not enough though, what else to add?

Makoshark

Sep 19, 2018
Humboldt County
Early wish list for the TDL would be Krieder, Simmonds, Dzingel, Zuccarello and Ferland in that order. I'd say Tiffoli too but don't see it happening. I bet we aquire one of those guys at the deadline.

Reactions: Gecklund

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
So one thing about this year, is I don’t know if there are too many “7th round pick” type trades for us to make.

Honestly, I think our bottom-6 is pretty set assuming we can get at least 1 top-6 winger. 2 would make us a real powerhouse.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
So one thing about this year, is I don’t know if there are too many “7th round pick” type trades for us to make.

Honestly, I think our bottom-6 is pretty set assuming we can get at least 1 top-6 winger. 2 would make us a real powerhouse.

I think there is no such thing as too many 7th round picks for the sharks, because we freaking kill it with late round picks lol.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Early wish list for the TDL would be Krieder, Simmonds, Dzingel, Zuccarello and Ferland in that order. I'd say Tiffoli too but don't see it happening. I bet we aquire one of those guys at the deadline.
Honestly, I would like Simmonds just because of the physicality he brings. I don't really care much about the hits themselves but the fact that they keep the opponents honest and generate turnovers. Need some more of that.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
So the Sharks have won 3 straight without Vlasic and Braun. And given up only 5 more goals over the 3 games. And I will be the first one to say that Ryan-Heed have really not been that good during those 3 games.

I think if Vlasic-Braun is sheltered and managed correctly, this team could be really really good.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
I think if Vlasic-Braun is sheltered and managed correctly, this team could be really really good.

That is the big problem - DeBoer doesn't know how to use them properly. We can only hope that he has seen what EK65/Burns can do with Vlasic/Braun out.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
So the Sharks have won 3 straight without Vlasic and Braun. And given up only 5 more goals over the 3 games. And I will be the first one to say that Ryan-Heed have really not been that good during those 3 games.

You don't even need to shelter them. Just don't shelter Burns and Karlsson.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
You don't even need to shelter them. Just don't shelter Burns and Karlsson.

I’m hoping this is exactly what DeBoer figures out. You don’t need to babysit ANY of the D-pairs because they’re all highly capable. I know Vlasic and Braun haven’t been great but I also think if their time is evenly split with Burns and Karlsson - and they’re not asked to handle ALL the tough minutes - they’re going to improve a ton.

Man, Burns and Karlsson are magic though.

Reactions: Sandisfan

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
The Joes need to be separated but the top 6 are on fire right now.

Meier - Couture - Radil
Kane - Hertl - Donskoi
??? - Pavs - Lebanc
Sorensen - Thornton - Goodrow

I think a Deadline deal or Cuda call up that be that F1 on the 3rd line would really make this a strong 4 line team.

Assuming that PDB gets his head out of his a** and deploys Vlasic - Braun in a normal manner this team does not need to have a overly stacked top line. This team would be a nightmare to play against as every line can be a difficult match up.

Also if they are losing and need to get a goal in the 3rd then they can go back to:

Hertl - Couture - Meier

Reactions: NiWa and Sandisfan

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Honestly, I would like Simmonds just because of the physicality he brings. I don't really care much about the hits themselves but the fact that they keep the opponents honest and generate turnovers. Need some more of that.

Simmonds no longer has the speed to make his physicality an effective part of his game. The type of physicality that he brings is similar to Ryane Clowe in 2013, not Raffi Torres in 2013.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The Joes need to be separated but the top 6 are on fire right now.

Meier - Couture - Radil
Kane - Hertl - Donskoi
??? - Pavs - Lebanc
Sorensen - Thornton - Goodrow

I think a Deadline deal or Cuda call up that be that F1 on the 3rd line would really make this a strong 4 line team.

Assuming that PDB gets his head out of his a** and deploys Vlasic - Braun in a normal manner this team does not need to have a overly stacked top line. This team would be a nightmare to play against as every line can be a difficult match up.

Also if they are losing and need to get a goal in the 3rd then they can go back to:

Hertl - Couture - Meier

If you did that, you'd put Goodrow on Pavs' left and have Karlsson on Thornton's right until a deal can be made.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Sounds like Jordan Weal is being dealt from the Flyers to the Coyotes for a 6th rounder. Weal is 26 and makes 1.75 mil in his last year with 9 points in 28 games and a -5. If a guy like that can return an asset, I have more belief that Melker can be moved too. lol

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Sounds like Jordan Weal is being dealt from the Flyers to the Coyotes for a 6th rounder. Weal is 26 and makes 1.75 mil in his last year with 9 points in 28 games and a -5. If a guy like that can return an asset, I have more belief that Melker can be moved too. lol

Weal > Karlsson

...and it's not even close. Karlsson is an AHLer...let's be honest here.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Simmonds no longer has the speed to make his physicality an effective part of his game. The type of physicality that he brings is similar to Ryane Clowe in 2013, not Raffi Torres in 2013.

Simmonds was always this good because of his ability to score garbage goals in front of the net. He was never the guy for huge hits but he's still a physical force. He's tough to move, knows where to go and deflects pucks on the same level as Pavelski or Vanek. Great player.

Reactions: NiWa

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

That’s a notably higher scoring rate than Melker.

Also, is this his last season? Or does he have one more after this.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
That’s a notably higher scoring rate than Melker.

Also, is this his last season? Or does he have one more after this.

I'm not saying they're directly comparable but I'm also not expecting Melker to be dealt until the off-season. If someone like Weal who has a comparable production line to Melker is getting dealt (and not just based off this season), it means Melker can too. I'm not saying it would be better or worse. Just that it's close enough. What will counter any regular season production in Weal's favor for now is Melker's playoff experience that Weal doesn't have.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Pretty sure nobody wanted him actually but weal was just traded to arizona.

Jacob graves and a 6th for weal.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Inspired by some of my research on Draisaitl/McDavid, I looked at Tomas Hertl's even strength numbers as a whole, his numbers with Couture, and his numbers without Couture, all since the start of the 2017-2018 season. Then I ranked them among 170 centers who have played at least 1000 ES minutes in that time frame. I hid the numbers with a spoiler, so that I wouldn't take up too much of the thread with a massive graph.

PlayerTOIGoalsGoals/60RankPointsPoints/60RankCF%RankCF% RelRankGF%RankGF% RelRankAverage Ranking
Hertl1740280.9733632.174453.14%310.43%8950%82-0.51%8861.17
Hertl with Couture1198150.7569402.005652.33%41-0.68%10846.56%120-5.36%13087.33
Hertl without Couture542131.443232.552154.98%102.36%4657.38%167.85%1318.17
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Basically, the gist of things is that Hertl as a whole is a solid #2C, Hertl with Couture is a mediocre #2C, but Hertl without Couture is a legit #1C. He scores goals like a legit #1C, he scores points like a legit #1C, and he drives play like a legit #1C. When I say legit #1C, I'm not talking about a Brayden Schenn or a Ryan Johansen; I'm talking about a prime Jonathan Toews or a Patrice Bergeron. The Corsi and GF stats are a bit below those guys but the goals are notably ahead and the points are roughly equal after adjusting for the higher scoring league.

Thoughts? Might the small sample size (85ish games with Couture and 35ish without) be skewing the data in a direction that doesn't match the truth? Could he play an 82 game season as a full-time center without Logan Couture and come close to sustaining these numbers?

Most importantly, should we keep Hertl away from Logan full-time?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad