Speculation: 2018-2019 Sharks Roster Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I'd love to see Suomela and Radil on the 4th line.

Radil would open up space for him to be more effective more consistently.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
I’m going through memory lane on YouTube. In all seriousness, what the heck happened to nieto? I knows he’s on COL now, but it seemed as if he had a bright future with the sharks?

The Long Beach native made that aweful rap song the team played when they won games and as a result they stopped winning.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
The Long Beach native made that aweful rap song the team played when they won games and as a result they stopped winning.
To this day I haven't been able to listen to that or even make it through the first few seconds of "holiday sweater". Godawful crap.

I went to BU for grad school, watched most of his games, and saw a lot of potential in Nieto. He just wasn't ever able to put it together and learn how to finish. Glad he's found his niche with the Avs but I'm fine that his time in SJ ended.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
I would take either as well but I was talking about Eric.
Eric would be an excellent rental. I tried to ask about his price on the main boards, but didn't get a response in the Wild firesale thread (plus --- it looks like the Wild have a good chance of making the playoffs, so not sure if he'd be available).

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Who was it who said that you know you have a star player on your hands when he is contributing during a slump?

Meier has what seems like one goal in the last twenty games, but he's definitely driving possession, playing on special teams, and getting a bunch of assists. The way things are going, you hope he gets hot right around the playoff stretch.

What was impressive is that by my observation, you could see Meier getting very frustrated and reverting to some bad habits. But, he corrected himself. Even though the goals didn't come, he returned to making smart plays and being a great contributor everywhere else.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Eric would be an excellent rental. I tried to ask about his price on the main boards, but didn't get a response in the Wild firesale thread (plus --- it looks like the Wild have a good chance of making the playoffs, so not sure if he'd be available).
New ballgame now though since Koivu is done.

Would the org let Staal wear 12?

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Who was it who said that you know you have a star player on your hands when he is contributing during a slump?

Meier has what seems like one goal in the last twenty games, but he's definitely driving possession, playing on special teams, and getting a bunch of assists. The way things are going, you hope he gets hot right around the playoff stretch.

What was impressive is that by my observation, you could see Meier getting very frustrated and reverting to some bad habits. But, he corrected himself. Even though the goals didn't come, he returned to making smart plays and being a great contributor everywhere else.

Me.

I didn’t say exactly that, though. I said that during the start of the season, he looked (and produced) like a borderline star going through a hot streak. And that now, he looks (and is producing) like a bonafide star, maybe superstar, going through a cold streak.

I mean, goodness gracious, the guy went through a cold streak of poor shooting luck, so he decided to focus on improving his playmaking. The result is that he now leads Sharks forwards in assists per game. (1 behind Couture in 3 fewer games) He did it that quickly! Reminds me of how Brent Burns went through a stretch of poor shooting luck and turned into one of the best playmakers in the NHL. And he’s doing pretty much all of it at 5-on-5 while facing top competition and getting fewer 5V5 minutes than other forwards on the roster.

His even strength P/60 is 14th in the NHL. Right in between Connor McDavid and Sidney Crosby. That’s absolutely ridiculous when you consider the cold stretch that he is going through. He’s also one of the very best possession forwards/play drivers in the NHL when you adjust for other factors like teammates, quality of competition, zone starts, etc. This season, looking at pretty much all statistics, his even strength performance is pretty much undeniably between 10th-20th best for all forwards.

He could peak as a 40 goal, 50 assist elite two-way forward in his prime. He could actually be near that this season if he received more ice time and specifically more PP time.

I actually wasn’t sold on him during his early hot streak, but now I 100% am. I would go so far as to say that the door isn’t even closed on the comparisons to Barzal or Rantanen.

Last edited:

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I actually wasn’t sold on him during his early hot streak, but now I 100% am. I would go so far as to say that the door isn’t even closed on the comparisons to Barzal or Rantanen.

Isn't Rantanen playing with one of the best player in the NHL? Couture is good but he's no
Nathan MacKinnon...

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Meier looked like the best forward the first quarter of the season, but he has fallen off ever since Hertl was shifted to a different line (at which point Donskoi and Kane took off, coincidence? I don't think so lol). Hertl probably made Meier look better, and on top of that, he has been amazing the past month. It's definitely Hertl, and I'd say it's not particularly close.

This is completely false. Meier may not be producing much in the goal column but he's putting up a ton of assists and anyone who is watching the Sharks games should see that he is carry the play and generating chances better than pretty much every forward except for Hertl. Meier and Hertl are and have been the best 2 forwards on this team. Meier's puck luck will turn around but he's still playing great hockey.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
This is completely false. Meier may not be producing much in the goal column but he's putting up a ton of assists and anyone who is watching the Sharks games should see that he is carry the play and generating chances better than pretty much every forward except for Hertl. Meier and Hertl are and have been the best 2 forwards on this team. Meier's puck luck will turn around but he's still playing great hockey.

Sure, but Meier was playing more than “great” hockey at the beginning of the season. He was playing superstar hockey.

Reactions: BigDmitriy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad