Speculation: 2018-2019 Sharks Roster Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I have hopes for the Ch-twins to do that but not Labanc. He's not a goal scorer and he's not willing to get dirty and even if he was he's not good or improving at winning those battles. I know he's young but he's very far off and doesn't look to be making any strides. I don't think he's needed here moving forward.
The biggest flaw in Labanc's game is the speed at which he makes decisions. He's always a second too slow, which is why he is so good on the power play. With that extra time he's lethal. He needs to improve his play at 5 on 5 in that regard.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
The biggest flaw in Labanc's game is the speed at which he makes decisions. He's always a second too slow, which is why he is so good on the power play. With that extra time he's lethal. He needs to improve his play at 5 on 5 in that regard.

That’s not the type of thing that players generally improve upon at the age of 23 when they haven’t already made significant improvements upon it between the age of 20 and 23.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Joner for Bob?

That would be a mistake. Bobrovsky is looking to get paid and has, as good as he is, sucked ass in pretty much every playoff game he played. Not sure if that's gonna change now he's getting older. Also, Bobrovksy would need to waive his NTC in order to get traded. Don't think he's keen on doing Columbus that favour after what happened. Also not sure if Columbus really wants a Nr.1 with a longterm contract. They have one of the best Goalie prospect pools leaguewide.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I don’t know if he will, and I think he’s in danger of being traded.

It’s right up Doug Wilson’s alley to trade him. Whenever he determines that a talented young player will not become a star player on his team, he trades them while their potential is still perceived as being high.

I have no faith in us seeing LaBanc on opening night next season.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
That would be a mistake. Bobrovsky is looking to get paid and has, as good as he is, sucked ass in pretty much every playoff game he played. Not sure if that's gonna change now he's getting older. Also, Bobrovksy would need to waive his NTC in order to get traded. Don't think he's keen on doing Columbus that favour after what happened. Also not sure if Columbus really wants a Nr.1 with a longterm contract. They have one of the best Goalie prospect pools leaguewide.

If he's trying to get paid, he'll waive his NTC if he feels Columbus is going to try and railroad him and hurt his earning potential. I'm not sure how much whatever happened will linger but he'd be doing himself a favor getting out of there if things are going south. Either way, I'm not trading Jones for Bobrovsky. I don't want that playoff flop. Let another team take that chance.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
If he's trying to get paid, he'll waive his NTC if he feels Columbus is going to try and railroad him and hurt his earning potential. I'm not sure how much whatever happened will linger but he'd be doing himself a favor getting out of there if things are going south. Either way, I'm not trading Jones for Bobrovsky. I don't want that playoff flop. Let another team take that chance.

I'd do the exact opposite if I were him. They're obviously trying to put pressure on him and I wouldn't have any of it. They aren't gonna make the playoffs without him anyways with Merzlikins still in Switzerland and Vehviläinen still in Finland. Korpisalo and Berube aren't good enough. I'd do shit if I'm Bob.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
It’s right up Doug Wilson’s alley to trade him. Whenever he determines that a talented young player will not become a star player on his team, he trades them while their potential is still perceived as being high.

I have no faith in us seeing LaBanc on opening night next season.
I could easily see him in a package to move Braun to recoup draft picks for this upcoming draft. He's been mostly invisible for some time now, and he's totally wasted on the 4th line, but he wasn't doing anything on the higher lines. I can't believe he only has 4 goals.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'd do the exact opposite if I were him. They're obviously trying to put pressure on him and I wouldn't have any of it. They aren't gonna make the playoffs without him anyways with Merzlikins still in Switzerland and Vehviläinen still in Finland. Korpisalo and Berube aren't good enough. I'd do **** if I'm Bob.

I think Bob should just worry about Bob. If Columbus wants to move him to a playoff team for some assets, do it and go on a run then make that money. If they miss the playoffs without him, that's great if you care about that. I wouldn't care if they get assets out of me. If they're willing to sit him for some culture value excuse, they're willing to sit him at the cost of their own success and I wouldn't risk losing value on my next contract because of that kind of stuff.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I could easily see him in a package to move Braun to recoup draft picks for this upcoming draft. He's been mostly invisible for some time now, and he's totally wasted on the 4th line, but he wasn't doing anything on the higher lines. I can't believe he only has 4 goals.

He had 11 in 77 games last year. So he isn't that far off of that pace this year.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

If EK65 re-signs, I think Braun gets moved next year for draft picks. I think Labanc is gone because he has not been good 5-on-5 and though he shows flashes of offensive skill, he wont go to the dirty areas or against the boards and is prone to turnovers.

I honestly have no idea about Melker. I want to say we move him or buy him out but given how much PDB values him, I have honestly no idea what happens.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If EK65 re-signs, I think Braun gets moved next year for draft picks. I think Labanc is gone because he has not been good 5-on-5 and though he shows flashes of offensive skill, he wont go to the dirty areas or against the boards and is prone to turnovers.

I honestly have no idea about Melker. I want to say we move him or buy him out but given how much PDB values him, I have honestly no idea what happens.

As much as PDB values him, there's too many players in our system that can fill what he does value about him and the guys they need to pay to keep trumps his PDB value, I would think. Like DW is not going to prioritize keeping Melker Karlsson over re-signing Pavelski or Donskoi...maybe over Sorensen, I think that's a toss-up within that circle but not those two.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

I could see that but I could also see us trading something like Braun to Toronto for their 1st round pick and then turning around and flipping the 1st and Kevin LaBanc to Ottawa for one of Duchene or Stone.

He had 11 in 77 games last year. So he isn't that far off of that pace this year.

His goals per game and his even strength points per game have decreased in every season since his rookie year. The only thing that has improved is his power play playmaking and I think that’s mostly due to ice time. It’s a concerning trend.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I think Bob should just worry about Bob. If Columbus wants to move him to a playoff team for some assets, do it and go on a run then make that money. If they miss the playoffs without him, that's great if you care about that. I wouldn't care if they get assets out of me. If they're willing to sit him for some culture value excuse, they're willing to sit him at the cost of their own success and I wouldn't risk losing value on my next contract because of that kind of stuff.

Bob is gonna get paid no matter what Columbus does. If they wanna sit him, no problem for him. Sooner or later they're gonna turn back to him if they wanna make the playoffs. Why move now if you can pick your team in a few months? Bob is in the driving seat here.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
As much as PDB values him, there's too many players in our system that can fill what he does value about him and the guys they need to pay to keep trumps his PDB value, I would think. Like DW is not going to prioritize keeping Melker Karlsson over re-signing Pavelski or Donskoi...maybe over Sorensen, I think that's a toss-up within that circle but not those two.

I think so too. I am kind of glad that Karlsson has started collecting some points. If he ends up with 15+ points this season, maybe we could move him for some late round picks. Or even bundle him in a package for Labanc. Honestly, he needs to be gone because we have way too many prospects ready to step up.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I could see that but I could also see us trading something like Braun to Toronto for their 1st round pick and then turning around and flipping the 1st and Kevin LaBanc to Ottawa for one of Duchene or Stone.

His goals per game and his even strength points per game have decreased in every season since his rookie year. The only thing that has improved is his power play playmaking and I think that’s mostly due to ice time. It’s a concerning trend.
I don’t know if Doug could pull off something that complex mid season. I do think if the Sharks trade for any sort of rental Labanc is for sure going in that deal.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Bob is gonna get paid no matter what Columbus does. If they wanna sit him, no problem for him. Sooner or later they're gonna turn back to him if they wanna make the playoffs. Why move now if you can pick your team in a few months? Bob is in the driving seat here.

Bob will get paid more if he goes to a playoff team that won't get wrecked so that he can make some headway on that attempt to not be garbage in the playoffs like he is.

I think so too. I am kind of glad that Karlsson has started collecting some points. If he ends up with 15+ points this season, maybe we could move him for some late round picks. Or even bundle him in a package for Labanc. Honestly, he needs to be gone because we have way too many prospects ready to step up.

I threw out a deal in the trade boards with Rangers fans doing Labanc and Karlsson for Zuccarello. I got a response of keep Karlsson and I was like no. lol

Reactions: one2gamble

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Bob will get paid more if he goes to a playoff team that won't get wrecked so that he can make some headway on that attempt to not be garbage in the playoffs like he is.

I don't think that's the case unless he wins a cup or something close to that. He sucked almost in almost 100% of the playoff games he played so a few good ones aren't gonna improve his record much.
He doesn't have any good options anyway. Of the teams currently in a playoff spot only the Flames, Avs and Sabres need a goalie. Agreeing to a trade to Calgary or Denver would be a huge mistake since nobody cares about defense there. As a goalie you can only lose there...if not now then surely come playoff time. Buffalo could be an option but they're not better than Columbus so Bob might as well stay and go on a last playoff run with Columbus.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I don’t know if Doug could pull off something that complex mid season. I do think if the Sharks trade for any sort of rental Labanc is for sure going in that deal.

I’m not exactly sure about the salary cap and how things will work at the deadline, but I think that in order to acquire a hefty contract like Panarin/Duchene/Stone, we would need to move out more salary than just that of Kevin LaBanc.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
I was on the "keep Bancer" train until recently under the rationale that he was young and still developing. At this point, I wonder whether he has topped out?

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I’m not exactly sure about the salary cap and how things will work at the deadline, but I think that in order to acquire a hefty contract like Panarin/Duchene/Stone, we would need to move out more salary than just that of Kevin LaBanc.
I just meant that in any rental deal Labanc is probably going to be part of the package.

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
When was the last time a player (prospect or NHLer) DW gave up at the deadline went on to have an good NHL career? Gorges?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

I threw out a deal in the trade boards with Rangers fans doing Labanc and Karlsson for Zuccarello. I got a response of keep Karlsson and I was like no. lol
Actually I was looking at Zuc today and noticed how much he makes. I know Karlsson makes 2M next season but worst case we can retain 50% or whatever makes it better than buying him out.

Worst case, you wait till the off-season and try make a deal with Phoenix (or a similar team) to take Melker off our hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad