Speculation: 2018-2019 Sharks Roster Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Inspired by some of my research on Draisaitl/McDavid, I looked at Tomas Hertl's even strength numbers as a whole, his numbers with Couture, and his numbers without Couture, all since the start of the 2017-2018 season. Then I ranked them among 170 centers who have played at least 1000 ES minutes in that time frame. I hid the numbers with a spoiler, so that I wouldn't take up too much of the thread with a massive graph.

PlayerTOIGoalsGoals/60RankPointsPoints/60RankCF%RankCF% RelRankGF%RankGF% RelRankAverage Ranking
Hertl1740280.9733632.174453.14%310.43%8950%82-0.51%8861.17
Hertl with Couture1198150.7569402.005652.33%41-0.68%10846.56%120-5.36%13087.33
Hertl without Couture542131.443232.552154.98%102.36%4657.38%167.85%1318.17
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Basically, the gist of things is that Hertl as a whole is a solid #2C, Hertl with Couture is a mediocre #2C, but Hertl without Couture is a legit #1C. He scores goals like a legit #1C, he scores points like a legit #1C, and he drives play like a legit #1C. When I say legit #1C, I'm not talking about a Brayden Schenn or a Ryan Johansen; I'm talking about a prime Jonathan Toews or a Patrice Bergeron. The Corsi and GF stats are a bit below those guys but the goals are notably ahead and the points are roughly equal after adjusting for the higher scoring league.

Thoughts? Might the small sample size (85ish games with Couture and 35ish without) be skewing the data in a direction that doesn't match the truth? Could he play an 82 game season as a full-time center without Logan Couture and come close to sustaining these numbers?

Most importantly, should we keep Hertl away from Logan full-time?

Not to get too self righteous here, but I have been saying this exact thing since at least the middle of last year, yet most everyone either blew it off, straight up disagreed that they are not great together, or said that they thought Cooch needed Hertl to stay afloat in possession essentially. These same trends, even if not as pronounced as this year, were happening last year too.

To answer your question, I do not think they have to be separated entirely, but that they must have a guy like Meier, Kane, Thornton etc on the line to bridge the gap between how Cooch wants to play, and how Hertl wants to play, because they do not play the same game, and especially do not generate offense in the same way.

Jul 10, 2010
Thoughts? Might the small sample size (85ish games with Couture and 35ish without) be skewing the data in a direction that doesn't match the truth? Could he play an 82 game season as a full-time center without Logan Couture and come close to sustaining these numbers?

Most importantly, should we keep Hertl away from Logan full-time?
alot more variables at play there, without even mentioning the small sample size.

does playing away from logan mean hes playing 3rd line comp?

who are his new linemates? Was Jumbo-Pavs his linemates? Thatd lead to an increase im sure

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Not to get too self righteous here, but I have been saying this exact thing since at least the middle of last year, yet most everyone either blew it off, straight up disagreed that they are not great together, or said that they thought Cooch needed Hertl to stay afloat in possession essentially. These same trends, even if not as pronounced as this year, were happening last year too.

To answer your question, I do not think they have to be separated entirely, but that they must have a guy like Meier, Kane, Thornton etc on the line to bridge the gap between how Cooch wants to play, and how Hertl wants to play, because they do not play the same game, and especially do not generate offense in the same way.

Yes, you did, and I thought of your posts when looking at this.

In my opinion, the best move is just to separate them full time, give Donskoi and Meier to Couture, and get a top notch playmaking winger for Kane and Hertl. Ideally, Mark Stone.

alot more variables at play there, without even mentioning the small sample size.

does playing away from logan mean hes playing 3rd line comp?

who are his new linemates? Was Jumbo-Pavs his linemates? Thatd lead to an increase im sure

QoC isn’t listed but his OZFO%, which is generally an indicator of what kind of deployment and competition a player is getting, was like 45% with Couture and 55% without him. Definitely has an impact. Most frequent forward linemates, when away from Couture:

Donskoi - 189 minutes.
Kane - 173 minutes.
LaBanc - 146 minutes
Melker - 106 minutes :help:
Pavelski - 95 minutes
Meier - 84 minutes

These numbers are from 2017-2018 through today, so Thornton-Pavelski aren’t relevant here. (Played less than 50 minutes with Thornton)

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
QoC isn’t listed but his OZFO%, which is generally an indicator of what kind of deployment and competition a player is getting, was like 45% with Couture and 55% without him. Definitely has an impact. Most frequent forward linemates, when away from Couture:

Donskoi - 189 minutes.
Kane - 173 minutes.
LaBanc - 146 minutes
Melker - 106 minutes :help:
Pavelski - 95 minutes
Meier - 84 minutes

These numbers are from 2017-2018 through today, so Thornton-Pavelski aren’t relevant here. (Played less than 50 minutes with Thornton)

So 1 ahl'er, 1 should be tweener 2nd/rd liner and the rest top 6.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Yes, you did, and I thought of your posts when looking at this.

In my opinion, the best move is just to separate them full time, give Donskoi and Meier to Couture, and get a top notch playmaking winger for Kane and Hertl. Ideally, Mark Stone.

I agree that Stone would Stone would be a good fit for the Sharks but I'd play him with Couture. Meier and Donskoi belong together but I'd play them with Hertl. I still think they would be the best possession line leaguewide and as such could shut down pretty much every opponent if needed. This would be a very deep forward group:

Meier, Hertl, Donskoi
Kane, Couture, Stone
Radil, Thornton, Pavelski
Sorensen, Goodrow, Labanc/Goodrow

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I agree that Stone would Stone would be a good fit for the Sharks but I'd play him with Couture. Meier and Donskoi belong together but I'd play them with Hertl. I still think they would be the best possession line leaguewide and as such could shut down pretty much every opponent if needed. This would be a very deep forward group:

Meier, Hertl, Donskoi
Kane, Couture, Stone
Radil, Thornton, Pavelski
Sorensen, Goodrow, Labanc/Goodrow
I doubt Hertl and Meier get paired up again without Couture. Couture needs a possession monster to play with so he can get his points. Kinda like those little fish that swim alongside large Sharks picking up the scraps. Also, no way Kane is leaving Hertls side either while they are playing the way they are together. That's a legit #1 line right now and they are filling the net together.

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
I doubt Hertl and Meier get paired up again without Couture. Couture needs a possession monster to play with so he can get his points. Kinda like those little fish that swim alongside large Sharks picking up the scraps. Also, no way Kane is leaving Hertls side either while they are playing the way they are together. That's a legit #1 line right now and they are filling the net together.

Donkey is also a big part of that line clicking too lately. No way they separate that line. That line is one of the most exciting lines we have had since JT fell off a cliff and stopped dragging players around.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Donkey is also a big part of that line clicking too lately. No way they separate that line. That line is one of the most exciting lines we have had since JT fell off a cliff and stopped dragging players around.
Donkey is replaceable on that line IMO depending on who they get at the deadline. He's been great but when he's not going he's a liability, whereas the other 2 still provide a lot in their effort and play style.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
Donkey is replaceable on that line IMO depending on who they get at the deadline. He's been great but when he's not going he's a liability, whereas the other 2 still provide a lot in their effort and play style.

This is true but with those other two even when he is off Donskoi he doesn't drag them down and his offensive creativity is a big asset

Reactions: Sandisfan

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
This is true but with those other two even when he is off Donskoi he doesn't drag them down and his offensive creativity is a big asset

I love Donskoi but he is just flat out not good enough to be the playmaker on a Cup contending team’s top line. That’s probably the biggest hole on our roster right now.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
This guy is pretty ignorant about the Sharks and says a bunch of dumb ****.

I remember about a month ago, he said that Erik Karlsson was clearly the team’s best defenseman, and that Burns had “struggled” this season.

Meier is great but we all know the best forward on this team wears 48.
I just posted what he said. It’s not my opinion, but Timo has made a big jump and is having a great year. I hope he makes it to 35 goals.

Reactions: Sandisfan

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose

Meier looked like the best forward the first quarter of the season, but he has fallen off ever since Hertl was shifted to a different line (at which point Donskoi and Kane took off, coincidence? I don't think so lol). Hertl probably made Meier look better, and on top of that, he has been amazing the past month. It's definitely Hertl, and I'd say it's not particularly close.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I don’t think it’s that big of a leap to say Meier’s been the best forward this year. Definitely still think it’s Hertl, but if he had posted this after the first 30 games of so, Meier would probably be the pick imo.

The issue isn’t with saying Meier has been the best this season. The issue is with saying that Meier “is /clearly/ the best.”

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I don't agree. When Donkey is cold, he stops skating and he is a full on liability. Hence the reason he got dropped all the way to the 4th line earlier this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad