Prospect Info: 2018-2019 Senators prospect watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Dorion has said that we will be passing up more skilled players for players that have intangibles (character, work ethic and leadership), particularly in the later rounds.

Applying that kind of screening process retroactively, I don't know if we miss out on guys like Stone, Lajoie, Jaros or Batherson, but we probably miss out on guys like Hoffman, Dzingel and Wideman in favour of less skilled players in the mold of Borowiecki and McCormick.

Plus, as I've pointed out many times, our least successful picks have been the ones where we passed up skill and hockey sense in favour of intangibles and defensive ability (eg. Lazar, White, Englund, Cowen, etc...). So Dorion deciding that we should actively move away from the types of players we have been historically successful in selecting to the types of players we have not successful with, says all you need to know about the man's judgement.

The scouting staff should be given free reign to select whatever player they think has the best chance to help the team the most in the future. That kind of top-down directive from management will do nothing but harm the scouting staff's chances of bettering the organization through the draft, and they are the only aspect of the organization that has actively made the franchise more successful.
Lazar, White, Englund, Cowen
One of these things is not like the others

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Joel Accord should be sueing his team mates Played 4, 2 wins, 2 losses, 5 goals against, and a save % of 0.988.

lol Arizona is so bad.

Just proves how underrated Joel is on our prospect pool, dude pulled up a .909 SV% on one the worst teams last year.

MaxTheLimit

Hockey ruins all my personal relationships
Jul 21, 2016
Ontario
lol Arizona is so bad.

Just proves how underrated Joel is on our prospect pool, dude pulled up a .909 SV% on one the worst teams last year.
Arizona is supposed to be a bit better this year. They played the number 1 ranked team twice over the weekend in Ohio, which skews the stats somewhat.
How anyone be that dumb “uhh yeah we’re nt picking skill anymore”
Here is the quote:
...we’ve talked to our amateur staff, and we’re not always going to draft the highest skill guy. We’re going to draft a player that helps us win the most, and that comes with character. Those are intangibles that we’re always going to try and do. Easier to say now, but sometimes when you get in the fifth, sixth, seventh rounds sometimes you try to hit a home run with a skill guy. We’re going to do less and less of that now. Just because at the end of the day most of them don’t ever pan out
Character. Intangibles. A player that helps the most.
Not home run skill guys.
It's strange because, as some have said, they seem to do well with skill guys later in the draft.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Arizona is supposed to be a bit better this year. They played the number 1 ranked team twice over the weekend in Ohio, which skews the stats somewhat.

Here is the quote:

Character. Intangibles. A player that helps the most.
Not home run skill guys.
It's strange because, as some have said, they seem to do well with skill guys later in the draft.

Its Dorion though ... grain of salt on anything coming out of his mouth imo. I am trying to listen if he lies more in his squeaky excited voice or in his normal voice.

MaxTheLimit

Hockey ruins all my personal relationships
Jul 21, 2016
Ontario
Man the list of injuries in this piece-

LINK

So Brown 4-6weeks
Chlapik day to day ( twisted ankle )
Hogberg 'no time soon'
Sturtz - LBI - 3-4 weeks
Luchuk - no time table with concussion.

That's a real hit to the prospect pool.

DDT

Aug 18, 2008
Screen_Shot_2018_10_16_at_7.36.54_AM.png

Source

I have a feeling with our new "character and intangibles" late round draft philosophy we won't find Stones and Hoffmans in this draft.

Those stats for Gustavsson are from the AHL, not the ECHL.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Man the injury bug on top of everything that team had to go through.... We just never really catch a break.

One month without Tkachuk? That's a freaking lot. And he's like so useful. Example : played a role in 4 of the 5 goals against LA.

Pageau
Dzingel
Tkachuk
Ceci
Chlapik
Formenton (edit : thanks NyQuil)
Brown
Sturtz
Luchuk
Hogberg
Sexton
O'Brien

Just freaking ridiculous

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Good for Kelly.

Here here. I was really impressed with him at the rookie tournament in Laval, he was all over the ice, he's fast & he has a pretty good scoring touch. This guy could surprise us, can't wait to see him in Belleville next season.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think that's his point. The Sens have been successful at picking skill guys later in the draft. Dorion said they are moving away from this strategy. That's what people are scratching their heads about. They've been pretty successful with their later picks, but they are changing away from this strategy despite success.

Dorion making friends again.... Richard Cranium

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Perron is making the most of his new opportunity. Too bad the Sens screwed him around so much last year. He may or may not make it to the NHL but he can obviously play and would help in Belleville this year. Glad he's getting a chance now. Not sure why we have to miscast and mismanage our players

Reactions: Icelevel and DrEasy

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Man the injury bug on top of everything that team had to go through.... We just never really catch a break.

One month without Tkachuk? That's a freaking lot. And he's like so useful. Example : played a role in 4 of the 5 goals against LA.

Pageau
Dzingel
Tkachuk
Ceci
Chlapik
Brown
Sturtz
Luchuk
Hogberg
Sexton
O'Brien

Just freaking ridiculous