Prospect Info: 2018-2019 Senators prospect watch part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
No one will be at Karlsson's level. Chabot could be a top3 dman in the league in his prime and you would still need rose-tinted glasses to see him on Karlsson's level.

I see Chabot’s potential to be Lidstrom because Chabot has good size and very good skating ability. However, at this time, Chabot needs to significantly improve his defensive skills to get there. I don’t know if he can achieve that potential but his skating and puck-handling skills are high. Probably will not ever equal Lidstrom but I see the potential.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I see Chabot’s potential to be Lidstrom because Chabot has good size and very good skating ability. However, at this time, Chabot needs to significantly improve his defensive skills to get there. I don’t know if he can achieve that potential but his skating and puck-handling skills are high. Probably will not ever equal Lidstrom but I see the potential.
Lidstrom is a top 3-5 D of all time, who had 7 Norris trophies in a 12 year span (including 6 in a 7 year span).

It would take a once in a generation prospect to have Lidstrom's potential

Reactions: Sun God Nika

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Lidstrom is a top 3-5 D of all time, who had 7 Norris trophies in a 12 year span (including 6 in a 7 year span).

It would take a once in a generation prospect to have Lidstrom's potential

Agreed.

Chabot would need to improve his defensive play significantly and also play with some high quality teams and forwards to get near to Lidstrom. He will likely not do so playing for the Senators.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well, I'm pretty sure you know it's not as simple as "Spezza vs depth". Spezza had a great career of course and was an amazing prospect but you know he has never been a perfect 1st line center, his overall game always lacked things that made him so far from the overall effectiveness of a Patrice Bergeron for example.

Be careful not to conflate Spezza the pospect with Spezza the NHL player. As a prospect, he is probably the most hyped we've had aside from Daigle and maybe Yashin. Spezza was head and heels a better prosect than Bergeron for example, even though you can certainly argue Bergeron easily has the superior career. Daigle was the best prospect we ever had, but busted hard. I wouldn't go back and say our pool in 93 sucked because Daigle didn't pan out,

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Hi all - I'm currently compiling lists of each team board's top prospect rankings. It looks like yours is done, but I don't see a thread that lists the results. Would someone mind either directing me to this thread/post or simply making one? I believe @SensBrawler was working on the polls.

Thanks!

Reactions: Variable26

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Be careful not to conflate Spezza the pospect with Spezza the NHL player. As a prospect, he is probably the most hyped we've had aside from Daigle and maybe Yashin. Spezza was head and heels a better prosect than Bergeron for example, even though you can certainly argue Bergeron easily has the superior career. Daigle was the best prospect we ever had, but busted hard. I wouldn't go back and say our pool in 93 sucked because Daigle didn't pan out,

If you read my post carefully, you can see that I'm totally aware of that. I know I talked about him not being the perfect N.1 Center but that was a side-point to the conversation. I did specify "was an amazing prospect" in the same sentence to avoid this but I guess it didn't work :)

That's exactly why I was saying that Emery, Bochenski, Laich and Schubert logically weren't considered very good prospects in 2001.

But no question, Spezza is probably the best prospect we ever had after Daigle and Yashin so he would be N.1 in a ranking including all 2001, 2012 and 2019 prospects. That being said, I'd still rank 2019 - 2012 - 2001 in that order

How would we rank prospects with those 3 pools mixed?

1- Spezza
2- Silfverberg (crazy that he was more hyped that Zibanejad, it's like Rundblad v 2.0 but at least Silf has a NHL career)
3- Zibanejad (guessing he was more hyped than Batherson since he was a 6th OA pick, even though that draft kinda sucked outside of a few gems like Kucherov and Gaudreau)
4- Batherson
5- Brannstrom
6- Brown

then a battle between Vermette, Lehner, Stone, Norris, Thomson, JBD, Ceci, Volchenkov? Gleason? Schastlivy? Wolanin? Formenton? Puempel?

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
If you read my post carefully, you can see that I'm totally aware of that. I know I talked about him not being the perfect N.1 Center but that was a side-point to the conversation. I did specify "was an amazing prospect" in the same sentence to avoid this but I guess it didn't work :)

That's exactly why I was saying that Emery, Bochenski, Laich and Schubert logically weren't considered very good prospects in 2001.

But no question, Spezza is probably the best prospect we ever had after Daigle and Yashin so he would be N.1 in a ranking including all 2001, 2012 and 2019 prospects. That being said, I'd still rank 2019 - 2012 - 2001 in that order

How would we rank prospects with those 3 pools mixed?

1- Spezza
2- Silfverberg (crazy that he was more hyped that Zibanejad, it's like Rundblad v 2.0 but at least Silf has a NHL career)
3- Zibanejad (guessing he was more hyped than Batherson since he was a 6th OA pick, even though that draft kinda sucked outside of a few gems like Kucherov and Gaudreau)
4- Batherson
5- Brannstrom
6- Brown

then a battle between Vermette, Lehner, Stone, Norris, Thomson, JBD, Ceci, Volchenkov? Gleason? Schastlivy? Wolanin? Formenton? Puempel?
Lazar

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Having watched Logan Brown C last yr & this yr in the rookie tournament & now in the preseason, he looks to me like the best offensive centre Ottawa has in their organization right now. While I'm not sure he will start the yr in Ottawa (he might), he should certainly be one of the first callups throughout the yr & IMO be permanently on the team by yr's end. He's huge, he's skilled, he's got great vision & passing abilities & he's much better than Spezza ever was defensively. I think he will come into his own in the 2021 season when he should be the #1 centre on this team. I had him as my #1 prospect & now feel even more confident he will prove he is certainly in the running.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Having watched Logan Brown C last yr & this yr in the rookie tournament & now in the preseason, he looks to me like the best offensive centre Ottawa has in their organization right now. While I'm not sure he will start the yr in Ottawa (he might), he should certainly be one of the first callups throughout the yr & IMO be permanently on the team by yr's end. He's huge, he's skilled, he's got great vision & passing abilities & he's much better than Spezza ever was defensively. I think he will come into his own in the 2021 season when he should be the #1 centre on this team. I had him as my #1 prospect & now feel even more confident he will prove he is certainly in the running.
After watching him tonight I feel the vision and the skill is there, but he needs to play with more urgency. He has a hard time getting those big legs moving and when he doesn't have the puck he can be a bit of a deer in the headlights. I'm still high on him but am curious to see how his game translates to the NHL. I think Ottawa continues to take their time with him in Belleville.

Reactions: Cosmix

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
After watching him tonight I feel the vision and the skill is there, but he needs to play with more urgency. He has a hard time getting those big legs moving and when he doesn't have the puck he can be a bit of a deer in the headlights. I'm still high on him but am curious to see how his game translates to the NHL. I think Ottawa continues to take their time with him in Belleville.
That has always been the knock on him & IMO always will be, he is not suddenly going to change his game completely. He has the size, the skill, the vision & the IQ to be a very good centre in the NHL, he just needs the right wingers to compliment his game on his line. Ottawa has had other centres with that same knock on their game like Yashin & Spezza & IMO Anisimov & Paul also play that way with a lack of aggression.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010

I've been pretty adamant about making him start in Belleville, but after watching a bunch of video of him from last season, I'm not so sure anymore. He's too good for the AHL, in the sense that he's able to make an impact at that level based on his skill alone. He needs to start learning to use his size, and being in the NHL would force him to do that, as well as to work on his pace and play without the puck.

I feel like he might have to make the team and get sent down a couple times for him to find that urgency.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I find Brown moves pretty well and pretty intelligently. He won't ever level guys or be all over the ice, but he gets where he needs to be in good time. He wont ever force the issue, but he will play a conservative, low-risk positional game while using his hands and vision to create. He gets back well defensively and is strong on the puck defensively

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
That has always been the knock on him & IMO always will be, he is not suddenly going to change his game completely. He has the size, the skill, the vision & the IQ to be a very good centre in the NHL, he just needs the right wingers to compliment his game on his line. Ottawa has had other centres with that same knock on their game like Yashin & Spezza & IMO Anisimov & Paul also play that way with a lack of aggression.

Spezza I can absolutely see the comparison but I feel like Yashin, while not aggressive, was much more assertive than either Brown or Spezz. He would initiate contact to protect the puck and would absorb much more contact than Spezza (and so far Brown) ever would to make a play.

Paul I feel like is a more energetic player than Brown. He better be because he has about half the skill and 1/10th the vision.

Anisimov I kind of see as a similar style to Brown. Brown has way better raw tools though so hopefully he becomes a much better player than AA.

All in all I don't think Brown needs to completely change his game. He just needs to learn that there are times when you absolutely HAVE to keep your feet moving. Times when you need to battle a little harder, even if you don't get the puck, to buy your mates some time. In short he needs to find more opportunities to engage. I think he's made great strides in the last calendar year and I'm much more confident that he'll figure it out and become an impact player for the Sens than I was last September.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton

Just give him Tkachuk and Formenton, so he can spring one guy on breakaways with long accurate passing, and use the other guy for tap-ins with crisp precise short passes

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Spezza I can absolutely see the comparison but I feel like Yashin, while not aggressive, was much more assertive than either Brown or Spezz. He would initiate contact to protect the puck and would absorb much more contact than Spezza (and so far Brown) ever would to make a play.

Paul I feel like is a more energetic player than Brown. He better be because he has about half the skill and 1/10th the vision.

Anisimov I kind of see as a similar style to Brown. Brown has way better raw tools though so hopefully he becomes a much better player than AA.

All in all I don't think Brown needs to completely change his game. He just needs to learn that there are times when you absolutely HAVE to keep your feet moving. Times when you need to battle a little harder, even if you don't get the puck, to buy your mates some time. In short he needs to find more opportunities to engage. I think he's made great strides in the last calendar year and I'm much more confident that he'll figure it out and become an impact player for the Sens than I was last September.

The bold is interesting, my recollection was that in the playoffs Yashin couldn't or wouldn't fight through checks & was easily neutralized & easy to defend against. For that reason & my recollection & it's slowly failing me, was why he became pretty much useless in the playoffs, he simply wasn't aggressive or assertive enough & wasn't willing to be. Maybe others have a different recollection?

Just give him Tkachuk and Formenton, so he can spring one guy on breakaways with long accurate passing, and use the other guy for tap-ins with crisp precise short passes

Well, both those guys play LW so I thought they play them with L. Brown but Formenton & Batherson played with him in the rookie tournament & dominated. I like Tkachuk with White & with C. Brown on RW could turn into a pretty good trio, C. Brown had 128 pt season with his junior team the Erie Otters one yr. I think L. Brown has the potential to be a pretty good NHL centre especially with some of the players they have had playing with him, they need to keep Batherson with him IMO. Formenton - L. Brown - Batherson could be a very good NHL line.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Ugh. Oh boy. Viktor Lodin has dressed for one of three Örebro games so far this year..... and he played 0:22.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010

I miss Yashin. Not many nicer hockey players I've met. And man was he skilled.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Lol. Head scratching pick to be sure. Maybe its health but man do we ever make some weird mid round picks at times.
Iirc, Trent mann was very excited about that pick. Big strong good skater. Could be a player there from what I’ve seen. Could just be in a competitive and/or age related situation?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Iirc, Trent mann was very excited about that pick. Big strong good skater. Could be a player there from what I’ve seen. Could just be in a competitive and/or age related situation?
Mann would not have seen him much outside of video. It would have been our guy in Sweden/Europe that wanted him.

Mann would not be discovering unknown, unranked guys in Sweden. He was on the same team as Ebert, he likely was found when looking at him, which would have fallen under our pro scouting department in Europe. Not sure Mann was in Europe at all last season.

He’s 20 and in his 2nd season in the SHL, age and league shouldn’t be an issue. It was likely an injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad