Prospect Info: 2018-2019 Senators prospect watch part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Duclair is horrendously underrated around here and everywhere. Guy is going to be part of our core

How is he underrated? He’s 8th only behind Chabot, Tkachuk, Brannstrom, White, Batherson, Brown and Wolanin.

I mean those guys aren’t scrubs. He’s ranked ahead of Balcers, Norris, JBD, Formenton, etc. That means he’s taken seriously

By the way, in their rankings, Søgaard wasn’t there? It’s going to be a real mistake soon

Last edited:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
How is he underrated? He’s 8th only behind Chabot, Tkachuk, Brannstrom, White, Batherson, Brown and Wolanin.

I mean those guys aren’t scrubs. He’s ranked ahead of Balcers, Norris, JBD, Formenton, etc. That means he’s taken seriously

By the way, in their rankings, Søgaard wasn’t there? It’s going to be a real mistake soon

Duclair may lead this team in goals.

Reactions: robsenz

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Duclair may lead this team in goals.

And? Where do you guys get the idea that this type of rankings is for next season only?

Duclair was playing on his 5th NHL team by the age of 23. Being ranked 8th on that list only behind those 7 guys means he is not underrated at all

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Jonathan "Higher PPG than Filip Forsberg in the second tier Swedish league in their 19 year old seasons" Dahlen is back in Sweden, playing in the Allsvenskan. Figured people would be curious to see what happened to the guy who got us Alex Burrows.
Forsberg was in the AHL/NHL in his 19 year old season

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
Forsberg was in the AHL/NHL in his 19 year old season

Yeah, I forgot exactly at what age those comparisons where made, whether 17/18/19, and didn't feel like looking it up. Wasn't the main point of the post.

Dahlen is still under contract with the Sharks, on loan, but he's an RFA after this year. Doesn't look likely he'll ever play in the NHL.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
And? Where do you guys get the idea that this type of rankings is for next season only?

Duclair was playing on his 5th NHL team by the age of 23. Being ranked 8th on that list only behind those 7 guys means he is not underrated at all

Not sure ? What season is it for ? How does being traded limit your value ? I know what you are getting at ... but some of those guys ahead of Duclair may never get two seasons let alone 6 in the league. Duclair will prob outscore White, Bath, Bran, Brown this year and he has the past 5 years. That has to be worth something.

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Not sure ? What season is it for ? How does being traded limit your value ? I know what you are getting at ... but some of those guys ahead of Duclair may never get two seasons let alone 6 in the league. Duclair will prob outscore White, Bath, Bran, Brown this year and he has the past 5 years. That has to be worth something.

When NHL teams pick young players at the draft, they're not thinking about next season or in 2 seasons, they're thinking long term. This is the same principle for these rankings. Not many rank prospects with the most important criteria being NHL readiness. I know some do for some reason, but it's really not the majority. I mean, you're not going to rank Nick Paul ahead of Drake Batherson if you think Paul will play more NHL games and score more goals, that'd be ridiculous.

Secondly, there's a reason Duclair has been traded several times already despite his young age and intriguing skillset, he was basically a throw in for Ryan Dzingel the UFA

I'm certainly rooting for the guy to turn the corner and finally establish himself in the NHL once and for all but I doubt you'd find many people in the hockey world that would value him more than any of Chabot, Tkachuk, Brannstrom, White, Batherson, Brown and Wolanin. The latter being the only arguable IMO. So like I have been saying, it's laudatory for Duclair to be 8th on that list.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
We'll see what people are going to be saying about Duclair around December, hopefully, he really has turned the corner.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
We'll see what people are going to be saying about Duclair around December, hopefully, he really has turned the corner.

I’m not sure how accurate the theory that he is a problem is ? Clearly Tort didn’t want anything to do with him. They gave him away for nothing.

White gets 14G and people are thrilled to give him $4.75. Duclair gets 20 and the general consensus is that he should be happy for a $2 mill show me deal.

There is a bit more to White’s game on defence (not a tonne). I’m not sure if Duclair’s warts are earned or rooted a little deeper.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I’m not sure how accurate the theory that he is a problem is ? Clearly Tort didn’t want anything to do with him. They gave him away for nothing.

White gets 14G and people are thrilled to give him $4.75. Duclair gets 20 and the general consensus is that he should be happy for a $2 mill show me deal.

There is a bit more to White’s game on defence (not a tonne). I’m not sure if Duclair’s warts are earned or rooted a little deeper.
Agreed, we'll see, I hope he plays great.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

perhaps... actually likely

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Duclair has a lot of flash but demonstrates poor decision-making at times. A tendency to try to go through people as opposed to making the safe play.

On a team starved for offensive creativity, it's an exchange worth making.

On a team playing a disciplined system, or on a defensively-oriented line, I can see how this can become an issue for certain head coaches.

Is he the kind of guy that will grind out goals in the playoffs once obstruction inevitably starts creeping back in?

As it stands, we have so little offensive punch that he's almost a necessity.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Duclair has a lot of flash but demonstrates poor decision-making at times. A tendency to try to go through people as opposed to making the safe play.

On a team starved for offensive creativity, it's an exchange worth making.

On a team playing a disciplined system, or on a defensively-oriented line, I can see how this can become an issue for certain head coaches.

Is he the kind of guy that will grind out goals in the playoffs once obstruction inevitably starts creeping back in?

As it stands, we have so little offensive punch that he's almost a necessity.

I don't mind a having a player like Duclair on the roster, given the fact he isn't lazy and have an attitude problem. He is the kind of player that can create a scoring chance out of nothing and score a goal or 2, to win a game

You can't just have a full roster of good 2-way players with marginal or above average offensive skills. We have those in spades..

Tierney
Pageau
White
Formenton
Ennis
Boedker?
Tkachuk?

Basically the whole Roster is like that

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I don't mind a having a player like Duclair on the roster, given the fact he isn't lazy and have an attitude problem. He is the kind of player that can create a scoring chance out of nothing and score a goal or 2, to win a game

Me neither, but other teams that have some offensive punch already may be less interested.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

It's entirely possible he's turned a corner in Ottawa, but this is exactly the reason he played on four teams in four years. The certainly had "coachability" issues before he got here.

Reactions: LeProspector

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
It's entirely possible he's turned a corner in Ottawa, but this is exactly the reason he played on four teams in four years. The certainly had "coachability" issues before he got here.

I don't think that's the same as having attitude problems. I see it as a talented young player who had trouble adapting his game to the NHL.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

You can't just have a full roster of good 2-way players with marginal or above average offensive skills. We have those in spades..

Tierney
Pageau
White
Formenton
Ennis
Boedker?
Tkachuk?

Basically the whole Roster is like that
Tierney and Boedker aren't 2 way players. I dont think Boedker is even a 1 dimensional player. Theres no offense or defense in his game.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I don't think that's the same as having attitude problems. I see it as a talented young player who had trouble adapting his game to the NHL.

There has always been chatter around Duke's character though, even going back to the pre-draft process. Took me all of 6 seconds to find this article that references it.

https://www.tsn.ca/masters-how-ducl...cerns-to-become-the-duke-of-broadway-1.158539

Again, that's not to say he hasn't turned a corner here, but there's a reason he was seen as a throw-in at the time of the trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad