Prospect Info: 2018-2019 Senators prospect watch part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
There have been character issues with Duclair all the way back to the Ramparts, not to say that he still has them
just had to
poMNyA.jpg

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Are these actual character issues or just things that old white dudes don't like about him? Or is it just a lack of commitment to playing D?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Are these actual character issues or just things that old white dudes don't like about him? Or is it just a lack of commitment to playing D?
No clue if they still pertain, but it was teammates/coaches, character and off ice distractions in junior. He was suspended for attitude issues by the Ramparts.

He was considered one of the most selfish players in the Q for a number of years, that followed him through both the Q and NHL drafts, where he went much lower than his talent would have put him in both (NCAA as well). He's been on 5 teams by the age of 24, I'm sure that's not by coincidence, as he's a capable 2nd/3rd line tweener.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
https://www.tsn.ca/masters-how-ducl...cerns-to-become-the-duke-of-broadway-1.158539
Arizona Coyotes Anthony Duclair Verdict Is In
Besides Roy suspending him. He's been scratched by another coach while in junior for apparent lack of effort.

Obviously talent is there, speed/skating is there he needs to prove he can bring it consistently. Does 1 good year do it?

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Yeah, I forgot exactly at what age those comparisons where made, whether 17/18/19, and didn't feel like looking it up. Wasn't the main point of the post.

Dahlen is still under contract with the Sharks, on loan, but he's an RFA after this year. Doesn't look likely he'll ever play in the NHL.

So we won the Burrows Trade?

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Burrows is the only one who won Burrows trade.
Now, now, he did make that one play up the boards, that lead to the goal, that won the game, that sent them to the conference finals that yr, that for the first time in a long time made almost everyone on this board happy at the same time & on the same page. Ahhh good times.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Likewise, especially with them hosting the Mem Cup. I feel like he had a lot more to learn/do in the CHL as well.

In saying that:

Pro game
Back home
Getting paid

Understandable why he is there

Agreed.

I bet there is also a draw in playing one last huzzah in front of friends and family before he starts what we all hope is a long career in the NHL.

Realistically it could be the last time he lives back home.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
https://www.tsn.ca/masters-how-ducl...cerns-to-become-the-duke-of-broadway-1.158539
Arizona Coyotes Anthony Duclair Verdict Is In
Besides Roy suspending him. He's been scratched by another coach while in junior for apparent lack of effort.

Obviously talent is there, speed/skating is there he needs to prove he can bring it consistently. Does 1 good year do it?

Have we seen a game where anyone though let he didn’t try? I’ve seen soft games from White , Bath, Brown, Form but nobody questions their work ethic. He isn’t a 200ft motor - but the effort is their most games.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Have we seen a game where anyone though let he didn’t try? I’ve seen soft games from White , Bath, Brown, Form but nobody questions their work ethic. He isn’t a 200ft motor - but the effort is their most games.

Once a player gets a reputation in the NHL it's pretty much impossible to shake it. The reality of the situation doesn't even matter anymore.

Talk of 'laziness' will follow Duclair for his entire career.

Reactions: ChurchOfAlfie

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Once a player gets a reputation in the NHL it's pretty much impossible to shake it. The reality of the situation doesn't even matter anymore.

Talk of 'laziness' will follow Duclair for his entire career.

I disagree. Lots of players have issues are are traded and forgotten with a fresh start. All of Turris’ issues’ were erased when he left Phoenix.

In looking forward to see him play. Maybe his weaknesses will be more obvious. Even this site has casual reference to him not being good ie . “Sheltered minutes”, low contract valuation etc.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I disagree. Lots of players have issues are are traded and forgotten with a fresh start. All of Turris’ issues’ were erased when he left Phoenix.

In looking forward to see him play. Maybe his weaknesses will be more obvious. Even this site has casual reference to him not being good ie . “Sheltered minutes”, low contract valuation etc.

What were Turris' issues in Phoenix? Because the second he had some contract disputes here i seem to recall the same kind of accusations coming up, unless you are refering to on ice stuff?

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
What were Turris' issues in Phoenix? Because the second he had some contract disputes here i seem to recall the same kind of accusations coming up, unless you are refering to on ice stuff?

There is a lot of noise around Dulair about his warts. You can barely find his name written or spoken without a negative reference. It is a bit much. Is he any worse on defense than "Balcers, Hoffman, Dzingle types" player? Hoffman didn't have nearly the negativity around him.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
There is a lot of noise around Dulair about his warts. You can barely find his name written or spoken without a negative reference. It is a bit much. Is he any worse on defense than "Balcers, Hoffman, Dzingle types" player? Hoffman didn't have nearly the negativity around him.

Usually, good young players aren't traded until they reach UFA status (unless the team use the player to fill a more important need)... Duclair hasn't even reached it yet and has been traded 3 times. plus let go once as a RFA. Dzingel and Hoffman were traded from a team in financial disarray as they were getting more costly (and in Hoffman's case, the situation with EK). Turris got traded once but it was more related to contract issues and maybe a lack of desire to play in Arizona

Of course, their reputation around the NHL is not the same. That being said, Hoffman's reputation is far from perfect too and he was not bounced around teams.

I don't think Duclair's situation is only because of "reputation" but more because of an incomplete pro game and maybe a lack of work ethic and/or coachability

For those who remember Andre Petersson, the guy had easily a top-6 forward skillset but played only 1 NHL game. Something was missing.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Hoffman got criticized plenty for his defensive play, people just accepted that he was still a valuable player because he was putting up close to 30 goals and 55 pts. Hoffman's attitude was also questioned, for example his stare downs with the coach.

When Duclair puts up a 50+ pts season, people will accept his limitations too, but even then they won't cease to be recognized.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Usually, good young players aren't traded until they reach UFA status (unless the team use the player to fill a more important need)... Duclair hasn't even reached it yet and has been traded 3 times. plus let go once as a RFA. Dzingel and Hoffman were traded from a team in financial disarray as they were getting more costly (and in Hoffman's case, the situation with EK). Turris got traded once but it was more related to contract issues and maybe a lack of desire to play in Arizona

Of course, their reputation around the NHL is not the same. That being said, Hoffman's reputation is far from perfect too and he was not bounced around teams.

I don't think Duclair's situation is only because of "reputation" but more because of an incomplete pro game and maybe a lack of work ethic and/or coachability

For those who remember Andre Petersson, the guy had easily a top-6 forward skillset but played only 1 NHL game. Something was missing.

Ya - thats pretty much the word on Duclair. My point is I haven't seen the flaws that seem to follow him around. I'm not suggesting he is a model 2 way player but to date he has been well within the norm of a player we chat about without constantly attaching a wart to him. His reputation has been formed by those that judge his work ethic and couchability. They are all connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->