Prospect Info: 2018-2019 Senators prospect watch part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He can't do much with the limited ice-time he gets on 3rd or 4th lines
The only forwards with more ice than Balcers last games were Tierney and Smith.
Gibbons who was praised for his play the previous game had 9:48 and Balcers had 18

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Balcers looks like a younger version of Boedker to me. He seems to have some good skill, but if he isn't producing he's pretty much invisible.

Reactions: Icelevel

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
The only forwards with more ice than Balcers last games were Tierney and Smith.
Gibbons who was praised for his play the previous game had 9:48 and Balcers had 18

Cool, I like Balcers. He has a bit of the Sergei Samsonov in him around the net

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Balcers looks like a younger version of Boedker to me. He seems to have some good skill, but if he isn't producing he's pretty much invisible.

I think we get enamored with kids that come in and dazzle right away and that starts to become the expectation for all new players.

I see Balcers as a prospect that seems to be fairly responsible and flashes some skill when given a bit of room and certainly seems to have a nose for the net. He has 4 goals & 7 points in 21 games with limited ice time...not great but not bad for a terrible team with no offensive drivers.

If he improved on that next season marginally and gets to 20 goals and 40 points that's not bad...then another year of growth and maybe we have a 50ish point player.

That is still relatively good production and if we have Chabot putting up 60+ points, Batherson, White, Chucky, Brown all around 50 points then we have some solid depth.

Don't take this in any way as approval of what this team has become but we need to be realistic about growth curves and potential. Patience is what is required because it has been thrust upon us so let's see how he performs the rest of the season with some increased minutes.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

Looks more like a younger version of MacArthur, but ok...

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
If Balcers seems to have skill then he's nothing like Boedker.

Balcers looks more like Dzingel more than anyone. He's quick and has a good set of hands and some finish. Boedker has terrible hands and finish.

Reactions: gab6511

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

I don't see that at all. Balcers has shown several times that he can beat NHL defenders one-on-one; Boedker doesn't do that. Boedker has better straight ahead speed but Balcers is shiftier.

Probably most important is that Balcers is more tenacious on the puck. Boedker doesn't have that despite being bigger.

I find he's a pretty decent player in his own end for a rookie. His style reminds me a bit more of a Palat or a Gourde in TB.

Reactions: derriko

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Boedker was a 1st rd pick & went 8th overall, he's clearly not what he once was, but we shouldn't undermine what he was drafted as, a small speedy skilled forward which is exactly what we have in Balcers. Balcers btw was drafted in the 5th rd, 142 overall.

Balcers could turn out to be the better player overall but that remains to be seen but he still looks & plays pretty similar to Boedker IMO. It's okay that we have different opinions about players. With Duclair, Tkachuk & Formenton coming & all being LWers it will be interesting to see where he fits in, most likely on his off wing since Ottawa is a little short of RWers & Duclair has played the RW too.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Boedker was a 1st rd pick & went 8th overall, he's clearly not what he once was, but we shouldn't undermine what he was drafted as, a small speedy skilled forward which is exactly what we have in Balcers. Balcers btw was drafted in the 5th rd, 142 overall.

Balcers could turn out to be the better player overall but that remains to be seen but he still looks & plays pretty similar to Boedker IMO. It's okay that we have different opinions about players. With Duclair, Tkachuk & Formenton coming & all being LWers it will be interesting to see where he fits in, most likely on his off wing since Ottawa is a little short of RWers & Duclair has played the RW too.

Dude. Boedker is 6'0 or 6'1 and 210 lbs.

He's not small by NHL standards.

That being said he's turned into a pretty good NHLer. People here hate on him because of when and how he was acquired but he's still a decent player.

I think Balcers has an upside that is slightly above a peak Boedker but if he ends as a Mikkel clone he's still a good 3rd line player.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
I see Formtenton similar to Dzingel. I get the Balcer’s - Boedker comparison but im pretty sure Balcer’s skill level is higher. Boedker with those tree trunk legs can fly down the wall with the the puck and protect it on the cycle but he doesn’t have Balcer’s in tight ability with his hands or shot. One you can build on and one you can’t. Expanding further on this I see Batherson as similar to Stone but with a higher skill level. You read that correctly. Colin White reminds me of Todd White and Brown of Spezza, and Brannstrom of someone else with the same first name. We just need Norris to turn into a Bonk/Fisher hybrid and we’re good. Now for Tkachuk....can’t say we’re ever had a player like him which is why I’m even happier to have him than I already would be anyway. Same for Chabot now that I think of it. Maybe prime Redden/Karlsson hybrid.

Reactions: Cosmix and Xspyrit

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
One thing about this thread is that people always want to compare our young prospects to players we have ALREADY had haha.

News clip: We never won the cup, we never won shit. I hope these guys don't turn out into spezza and fisher, I hope it's more like kane and toews haha. I get the need to compare to what we know, but it makes me laugh.

Reactions: Icelevel

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
A Balcers-Norris-Formenton line could be fun to watch.
If we get another true high profile speedster on that left wing or fright wing and move formenton to the left we could have one of the fastest lines in hockey. Which is something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->