Prospect Info: 2018-2019 Senators prospect watch part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Looks like some other people have done top prospects lists so I might as well throw this up here. I've been doing these lists on another forum for quite a few years now.

On my original list I included Balcers and Wolanin, but someone here made the good point that we should have a consistent criteria for what makes a prospect "graduated". Calder Trophy criteria would seem to be the best way to go that everyone can agree on, so allow me to suggest that: 26+ games in one season or 6+ games in multiple seasons.

"Projects as" indicates a realistic ceiling. "NHL-ready" indicates an ideal best-case scenario. Number in brackets shows my last year's ranking.

1. Erik Brännström (N/A) D, 19 - Was a top three defenseman on his Swedish team at 18, and in the AHL at 19. Projects as a 23-26 minute defenseman who can dictate the tempo of the game, make plays out of the hot-zone, and control the blueline on a powerplay. NHL-ready 2020.

2. Drake Batherson (9) RW, 21 - I wasn't completely sold on him coming out of his final year of junior. Only took a few weeks in the AHL to establish himself among the top forward prospects in the league. Projects as a 17-20 minute winger who can contribute to a top line or drive a secondary line, and can operate from the slot or half-boards on a top powerplay unit. NHL-ready 2019.

3. Logan Brown (3) C, 21 - Did not disappoint in his rookie pro season. Looked like a big, imposing top-two line center in the AHL at 20, and could play a similar role in the NHL by 24. NHL-ready 2019.

4. Josh Norris (5) C, 20 - Was looking like he was about to make the Karlsson trade look a little less painful, but injuries cut his season short. One of the top three or four forwards at WJC. Projects as a 17-20 minute hard-working, intelligent center who plays all situations. NHL-ready 2020.

5. Filip Gustavsson (2) G, 21 - Struggled mightily when suddenly thrust into a starting role weeks into his first year in North America at age 20, but he is still a bluechip goalie prospect with all-star potential. Projects as a 50-65 game starter. NHL-ready 2022.

6. Lassi Thomson (N/A) - D, 18 - Projects as a 21-24 minute D who can contribute off the rush or the cycle, and help a PP with his shot. NHL-ready 2021.

7. Jacob Bernard-Docker (7) D, 19 - UND had at least five defensemen at least 22 years old. Made it tough for teenage defensemen to see regular minutes, but JBD was up to the challenge. His omission from Team Canada was a mistake; expect him there this year. Projects as a 20-23 minute puck-moving defenseman and a secondary PP option. NHL-ready 2021.

8. Mads Søgaard (N/A) G, 18 - Higher-end upside than Högberg; maybe even higher than Gustavsson, but far more uncertainty at this point. Hope to see him back in Europe this season or next. NHL-ready 2024.

9. Marcus Högberg (13) G, 24 - I've had him as high as top three on this list at one point. Reached his lowest rank a year ago as he struggled to adapt in his first year in North America. He re-established himself as a legit goalie prospect last season. Projects as a 30-55 game goalie. NHL-ready 2020.

10. Shane Pinto (N/A) C/W, 18 - Projects as a versatile power forward/grinder who can play center or wing on any of the top three lines. I hate making player comparisons but I'm thinking of players like Nick Foligno, Colin Wilson, JT Miller. NHL-ready 2022.

11. Alex Formenton (10) LW, 20 - This was supposed to be his breakout year in junior but was derailed by injuries. Strong playoffs for London. Projects as a 13-16 minute winger who will create odd-man breaks with his speed. NHL-ready 2021.

12. Angus Crookshank (N/R) LW, 19 - Looking like maybe a late round gem one year in. Fit right in as a freshman at UNH; was the third highest scorer and second youngest player on the team. Projects as a fiesty depth winger who can kill penalties, forecheck hard and contribute some offense. NHL-ready 2022.

13. Vitali Abramov (N/A) W, 21 - One of those longshots-who-could-pay-off-big kinda prospects. Enormous offensive threat through his three years in junior and progressed every year, but had some difficulties adjusting in his first year pro at 5'9. Projects as a 16-19 minute offensive catalyst; whether it is in the NHL or KHL is the question. NHL-ready 2020.

14. Johnny Gruden (15) LW, 19 - As the youngest player for Miami last season Gruden struggled to earn regular ice time. He'll be leaving school to join London in the OHL, which could be a great fit. I'm betting he has a big year and makes Team USA. Projects as a 15-18 minute skilled winger. NHL-ready 2022.

15. Filip Chlapik (8) C, 22 - He's been very up and down. Worse +1 season than his draft year, then a big breakout in +2. Solid rookie pro year, then little improvement as a sophomore. Projects as a depth center who will probably have to kill penalties in order to stick in the big league. NHL-ready 2020.

16. Joel Daccord (N/R) G, 22 - Gradually improving every year, and now suddenly looks like a legit goalie prospect. NHL-ready 2023.

17. Jonny Tychonick (11) D, 19 - Unlike JBD, Tychonick was unable to find a regular role on UND's defense. NHL-ready 2023.

18. Kevin Mandolese (N/R) G, 18 - Yes, another goalie. I guess this is what happens when all of your top scouts are former tenders. Drastically improved his ratios from his draft season while playing 13 more games, and doesn't even turn 19 until August. It is still very early, but at 6'4, he looks like a legit goalie prospect. NHL-ready 2024.

19. Max Veronneau (N/A) RW, 23 - He'll be in the thick of competition for a roster spot this season. I'm not sold on his offensive upside, but could develop into a good penalty-killer with his hockey sense and quick first step. NHL-ready 2019.

20. Jonathan Davidsson (N/A) RW, 22 - Projects as a two-way top-nine forward. NHL-ready 2020.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
...but someone here made the good point that we should have a consistent criteria for what makes a prospect "graduated". Calder Trophy criteria would seem to be the best way to go that everyone can agree on, so allow me to suggest that: 26+ games in one season or 6+ games in multiple seasons

Hmm could we do 25+ games or 10+ games instead? I like rounded numbers better :sarcasm:

Seriously we have been using the same criterias for over a decade, which is the original criterias this one very site used to have

If you want to change the criterias, then you need to have a consensus obtained in a democratic manner. Make a thread and a poll; I bet you’ll get as most as many different suggestions than the number of people answering lol

Personally I think the criterias should be the same as you will find on most other HF boards, which is probably the same old ones

That being said, thanks for your scouting reports, appreciated

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Leafs fan coming in peace.

Watched Lassi Thomson for the first time today and he's really frigging good.

Great skater with tons of poise with the puck and a huge shot.

Looked like Klingberg out there.

Awesome pick at #19.

Early days but I'd say he's your best prospect after Brannstrom.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014

Awesome pick at #19.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

Awesome pick at #19.

Where did you see him?

Reactions: derriko

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

II would move JBD and Thomson up into that Yellow Group. If 2 is the limit , I'd move Norris and Balcers down in the green group

Reactions: MountSash
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad