Prospect Info: 2018-2019 Senators prospect watch part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
My annual review of Ottawa's OHL prospects. Just Formenton this year.

OHL Prospects: 31 Teams in 31 Days - Ottawa Senators

Nice write up. Formenton is your classic all the speed in the world but not great chemistry - so many great young players never match their skill to production because they can’t find chemistry with anyone (Hoffman being a prime example of that) and can produce, but aren’t effective because they don’t feel heir teamtes around them or use them well. Kind of a 1 man show.

Formenton seems to have a deep love for the game and is competitive in areas a lot of skilled players dont have any interest for so I’m guessing he hits a higher ceiling, but always interesting to see young players try and learn the game. Havlat also comes to mind, a million moves on his own but just couldn’t find chemistry with anyone and the skill didn’t match the potential ceiling, and Havkat early in his career was a pest and you’d see that pride and competitiveness come out from later in his career in spurts. But overall a hilite reel talent without a good feel for his center or his linemates

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Nice feedback on Gruden this week. He's a forgotten prospect but will be back on the radar big time this year in London. Hoping he has a great year.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Loheit among today's round of cuts at the World Junior Summer Showcase. Team USA cut down to 31 players. Pinto and Gruden remain.

Gruden has received some nice praise this week from media scouts in attendance and it's nice to see Pinto as one of the 12 2019 drafted skaters that remain with the group.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
Canada plays Finland Wednesday at 1 at the summer showcase on TSN. Hopefully a chance to see JBD vs Lassi and maybe Tychonick as well.

Reactions: IamJust0ne

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Tychonick should leave the NCAA for the dub if he doesn’t show much improvement or get ice time this season.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Tychonick should leave the NCAA for the dub if he doesn’t show much improvement or get ice time this season.
I don't agree. UND generally doesn't give freshmen big minutes (which is why JBD is so special imo). He's gonna get more minutes with seniority, going to the WHL as an overeager wouldn't help him. I think he will get sufficient minutes and responsiblity in his sophomore year. But if we didn't like his usage, I'd rather just sign him, send him to the AHL and ECHL. Sticking it out with UND will yield results though (see: Christian Wolanin). He's too talented not to earn a key role there.

Not as sexy a route to the NHL sometimes but I think he's in the best spot to develop. That program is legit.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
I don't agree. UND generally doesn't give freshmen big minutes (which is why JBD is so special imo). He's gonna get more minutes with seniority, going to the WHL as an overeager wouldn't help him. I think he will get sufficient minutes and responsiblity in his sophomore year. But if we didn't like his usage, I'd rather just sign him, send him to the AHL and ECHL. Sticking it out with UND will yield results though (see: Christian Wolanin). He's too talented not to earn a key role there.

Not as sexy a route to the NHL sometimes but I think he's in the best spot to develop. That program is legit.
We’ll see what happens, but only defenceman is leaving UND this season so Tychonick will have to prove his worth and climb up the depth charts. Sending him to the AHL would be pointless IMO if he’s struggling in the NCAA, the AHL is a big jump.

To clairify, I mean leaving college for the WHL during the season.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Pinto is going to be an interesting prospect to watch, although I'm just not certain whether he will be a centre or play RW where the Sens are thin & could use some size & skill. The future centres on this team as I see it are Brown & White, then there are numerous possibilities in Norris, Chlapik (if not traded), Pinto, Kastelic & maybe even Paul who played centre during his junior career. And of course if they draft any other centres over the course of the next few drafts like Byfield. Because the Sens are so thin on RW it would make the most sense to turn Pinto into a RWer unless they are targeting a couple in the next few drafts. Moving Norris to LW & Pinto to RW makes room for keeping Chlapik at centre but who knows what the org plans on doing with him given what we are reading.

IMO it could come down to one of Norris or Pinto playing centre in future or both if injuries occur, Zack Smith went back & forth from centre to LW during all of his time here in Ottawa including taking faceoffs. Norris is a 1st rd pick & IMO is the better playmaker however, I could also see them move him to LW to get his skillset on a higher line. Pinto to me is more of a 3rd line player that could end up playing more of a checking role on this team either at centre or RW who can fill in on a higher line when needed. At the least they have enough good young centres to fill 4 lines & upgrade the centre position substantially.

A future line of Formenton - Norris - Pinto would be interesting.

Formenton is going to be another interesting prospect given his speed but where in the lineup makes the most sense for his skill set? At the development camp they had Formenton play with L. Brown, a playmaking centre who can get him the puck & utilize his speed & Brown could use a tenacious pesky player to elevate his own level of determination & Alex is that kind of player. IMO the two could compliment each other with a goal scorer on the other wing like Batherson, but having said that they could also go with Paul back on Brown's wing as he was in Belleville, although Paul isn't as aggressive as Formenton. Norris at LW on the top line creates a more dynamic scoring line with Brown & Batherson, lots of options available to DJ Smith. They do have a number of pairs of players that are interesting in Brown & Batherson, Tkachuk & White, Formenton & Norris & Paul & Kastelic. Add Pinto to that group along with the best prospects they acquire at the next few drafts could create a pretty dynamic group of forwards.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
Thomson joins the rush and drives the net, makes it 4-0 Finland.

Looked a lot like the Chris Phillips overtime goal in 2003 against the Devils.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
Thomson has some spice to his game. Involved in a lot of scrums and chirping before and after whistles. Didn't really expect that from him.

Reactions: derriko

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
Forgot to PVR this, for those watching be nice to know your impressions of Thomson and Tychonick.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
Forgot to PVR this, for those watching be nice to know your impressions of Thomson and Tychonick.

Though to get a read on them, it was 7-0 halfway through the game. Thomson looked good on the power play, playing mostly on the half wall, little bit at the top of the umbrella. Both guys jumped up in the rush when they had the chance. Tychonick flubbed a pass behind his own net early in the game, but otherwise had some nice breakouts.

Both were involved in scoring plays, Lassi joining the rush to the top of the blue paint, Tychonick with a heavy shot from the point that was tipped in.

Next Finland and Canada games are Friday.

Reactions: Sen sational

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Well if Pinto ends up being a better player than Kaliyev, Dorion is a genius.

That's what Hfboards will have you believe..I'll go ahead and make the exact opposite statement.

Listen to Pinto in his interviews post draft. He wasnt nearly as surprised that he went where he did in the draft as some people are.

His agent quite obviously knew that he was going early 2nd round and made him aware of that. Other teams aside from the Sens were obviously interested, and it's probably the main reason why they didnt trade down.

Kaliyev on the other hand fell hard for a reason. Ottawa rarely rolls the dice on those type of guys. And to be honest, I'm not remembering a time in recent history that its really bit them badly in the ass with that strategy either (I could be wrong, but it's not like the Sens will be exclusive in those misses either).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad