Prospect Info: 2018-2019 Senators prospect watch part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tkachuk27

Nov 30, 2011
Making a top 10 prospect list is quite difficult . A lot of talent atm.

1. Brannstrom
2. Batherson
3. Brown
4. Formenton
5. Norris
6. Gus
7. Thompson
8. JBD
9. Hogberg
10. Lajoie

Just missing the cut

Mads Sogaard, Pinto, Davidsson , Chlapik , Tychonick , Veronneau ,

1. Brannstrom
2. Batherson
3. Brown
4. Norris
5. Formenton
6. Gustavsson
7. JBD
8. Davidsson
10. Crookshank

Reactions: DJB

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It's hard to say who has the most potential now & because there ages are all slightly different it's difficult to project what these guys will become but Batherson to me is the best refined polished player at D-camp & the most NHL ready IMO.

1. Batherson RW
2. Brannstrom LD
3. Brown C
4. Norris C/LW
5. Davidsson RW
6. Formenton LW
7. Hogberg G
8. Gustavsson G
9. Chlapik C/LW
10. Wolanin LD
11. Balcers LW
12. JBD RD
13. Thomson RD
14. Pinto RW
15. Sogaard G

Future Sens Team:
Norris - Brown - Batherson
Tkachuk - White - Davidsson
Formenton - Chlapik - Pinto
Paul - Kastelic - ??? (Nurmi)

Chabot - Thomson
Brannstrom - JBD
Wolanin - Jaros/Lajoie

Hogberg - Gustavsson/Sogaard

Reactions: Xspyrit

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
For me, these are the tiers, order among tiers is how I feel at this moment, but could change with the wind.

Brannstrom
Batherson
Brown
Norris
Thomas
JBD
Wolanin
Davidsson
Formenton
Chlapik
Balcers
Pinto
Abramov
the rest.

Didn't include goalies because they are voodoo. Throw them in a blender, idk. In terms of most ready, this is how I see then, no clue in terms of who will be best.

Hogberg
Daccord
Gustavsson
Sogaard
Mandolese

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
For me, these are the tiers, order among tiers is how I feel at this moment, but could change with the wind.

Brannstrom
Batherson
Brown
Norris
Thomas
JBD
Wolanin
Davidsson
Formenton
Chlapik
Balcers
Pinto
Abramov
the rest.

Didn't include goalies because they are voodoo. Throw them in a blender, idk. In terms of most ready, this is how I see then, no clue in terms of who will be best.

Hogberg
Daccord
Gustavsson
Sogaard
Mandolese

The Train?

AGF-l7_oXC30UgpRc6Dx9OjZszmsrUf6h4T-L51sEg=s900-mo-c-c0xffffffff-rj-k-no

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I have yet to see anything at development camp from Brannstrom to show he is head & shoulders above the other prospects. I'm hoping that I will see something from him tonight at the Kanata Rec Centre during a game situation that shows he deserves the hype & ranking. I'm sure he probably deserves it but watching him live so far at camp anyway & close up I have yet to see anything special about him.

In fact, all of the defencemen in camp this yr have been much more low key or not as noticeable as in past yrs with the exception of Thomson. I assume people were looking for him at camp since he was picked in the first round & the newest guy drafted along with Pinto & Sogaard. I'll try & keep an eye on the defence tonight to see what we have.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Probably depwnds on who you graduated based on last season.

Tkachuck, balcers, lajoie, Batherson and Paul all played 20 + games

Let’s all have different criterias for graduation! That’ll make up for a pretty good conversation

Speaking of that, I haven’t seen Wolanin and his 40 games on any list. Why would Lajoie, Balcers, Chlapik and even Batherson not graduated then?

Emrasie

Mar 13, 2019
I have yet to see anything at development camp from Brannstrom to show he is head & shoulders above the other prospects. I'm hoping that I will see something from him tonight at the Kanata Rec Centre during a game situation that shows he deserves the hype & ranking. I'm sure he probably deserves it but watching him live so far at camp anyway & close up I have yet to see anything special about him.

In fact, all of the defencemen in camp this yr have been much more low key or not as noticeable as in past yrs with the exception of Thomson. I assume people were looking for him at camp since he was picked in the first round & the newest guy drafted along with Pinto & Sogaard. I'll try & keep an eye on the defence tonight to see what we have.

He wasn't noticeable during the game until the 2nd goal for team white (i have noticed he played LD and RD during the game, RD on this goal), not particulary good or bad, just doing his job defensively. It was the same with Vegas last year, not prominent in dev camp but later he was one of the better player if not the best during the pre season games. Hoping it will be the same this year.

Thomson was good offensively, did mistakes sometimes in defense, for example on the 1rst goal for team Red. Like a rookie he wants to show himself and he has the talent for, a lot of room to progress here, promising.

Better player in the game: Batherson.

Last edited:
Reactions: derriko

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
He wasn't noticeable during the game until the 2nd goal for team white (i have noticed he played LD and RD during the game, RD on this goal), not particulary good or bad, just doing his job defensively. It was the same with Vegas last year, not prominent in dev camp but later he was one of the better player if not the best during the pre season games. Hoping it will be the same this year.

That's exactly what happened last year with Vegas. Brannstrom was overshadowed by a lot of guys in the rookie camp, then was tremendous in the pre-season. If Vegas wasn't trying to contend, he would've made the team out of camp imo. I saw him in the dev camp here in Vegas and wasn't impressed, but he rose to the occasion when the talent and intensity cranked up.

His toolbox is incredible though. I reference it every time I talk about him, but he can play either side equally well which bodes well for his future considering Chabot is in the org. Proved he could against high level talent in the WJC's on his off-side with Dahlin. He's as good defensively with his smart positioning, and stick as he is offensively. Can even lay some pretty solid hits for a frail guy.

I think a pretty decent contingent of Ottawa fans haven't really realized what they have in him just yet. As a fan of both teams, i've been following him since his draft year. Once he fills out, I think he's a 25 minute all situations type defender. #2 if not a #1. A more offensively gifted Jared Spurgeon is my projection. He would've led the Wolves (a real good, veteran AHL team) in defenseman scoring if he played more games. That just doesn't happen very often with someone that age.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
That's exactly what happened last year with Vegas. Brannstrom was overshadowed by a lot of guys in the rookie camp, then was tremendous in the pre-season. If Vegas wasn't trying to contend, he would've made the team out of camp imo. I saw him in the dev camp here in Vegas and wasn't impressed, but he rose to the occasion when the talent and intensity cranked up.

His toolbox is incredible though. I reference it every time I talk about him, but he can play either side equally well which bodes well for his future considering Chabot is in the org. Proved he could against high level talent in the WJC's on his off-side with Dahlin. He's as good defensively with his smart positioning, and stick as he is offensively. Can even lay some pretty solid hits for a frail guy.

I think a pretty decent contingent of Ottawa fans haven't really realized what they have in him just yet. As a fan of both teams, i've been following him since his draft year. Once he fills out, I think he's a 25 minute all situations type defender. #2 if not a #1. A more offensively gifted Jared Spurgeon is my projection. He would've led the Wolves (a real good, veteran AHL team) in defenseman scoring if he played more games. That just doesn't happen very often with someone that age.
The LD-RD stuff is something I've thought about a lot lately. We have a mass of riches of LD prospects and at some point one of Brannstrom, Wolanin or Chabot will inevitably have to make the transition to the right side. Brannstrom has the experience and the tools the be that guy in my mind. His skating and puck skills really give him the tools to do that. We have good options at the AHL level for RDs but I wonder if they'll start using him there to develop that for the future.

Obviously we have Thomsson and JBD on the way but I think for our top 4 to get where it needs to be Brannstrom has gotta be our swing man role.

Last edited:
Reactions: NB613 and derriko

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
The LD-RD stuff is something I've thought about a lot lately. We have a mass of riches of LD prospects and at some point one of Brannstrom, Wolanin or Chabot will inevitably have to make the transition to the right side. Brannstrom has the experience and the tools the be that guy in my mind. His skating and puck skills really give him the tools to do that. We have good options at the AHL level for RDs but I wonder if they'll start using him there to develop that for the future.

Obviously we have Thomsson and JBD on the way but I think for our top 4 to get where it needs to be Brannstrom has gotta be our swing man role.

I have always imagined JBD being Chabots's wingman, his ying to the yang, his Methot to his Karlsson. An upgraded version of what DeMelo is right now.

I just have a hard time imagining some sort of Wolanin, and Brannstrom pairing even with how well I rate Brannstroms two way potential. Wolanin is a bit of a riverboat gambler, and I think that would limit Brannstroms offensive game having to cover all the time. I don't know Thomson too much, but it sounds like it would be similar.

I have a lot of faith in both Wolanin and Jaros to be solid top four guys. I guess it's not a bad problem to have with 3 or 4 guys that could be second pairing defenders. You could just trade the excess guy or two for similar forwards.

You could stack the top line and go:

Chabot-Brannstrom
Wolanin-JBD

But then that leaves Jaros,, Lajoie, Thomson, and frickin Zaitsev in left field.

Assuming the 5 after Chabot at least meet a good portion of their potential, that's just too much talent on the bottom pair or left out completely. Again, not a bad problem to have, but someone has to eventually be moved.

Reactions: NB613

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Don't worry Dorion will throw one of the "surplus" LDs in on some trade as an add on to get a top notch 3rd liner who is good in the room and competes hard although his numbers would suggest to everyone else that he is just a plug.

Reactions: Samboni

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If all goes well, in few years we have D depth of:

LD: Chabot, Brannstrom, Wolanin
RD: JBD, Thomson, Zaitsev, Jaros, DeMelo

Something's got to give, I assume DeMelo is gonzo, but that's still 7 guys that probably think they will be top 4 guys in 3 to 5 or years.

Nice problem to have I suppose,

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Chabot-JBD
Brannstrom-Thomson
Wolanin-Jaros
Lajoie/Tychonick

Did you forget Zaitsev or do you think he will be gone by 2021?

Don't worry Dorion will throw one of the "surplus" LDs in on some trade as an add on to get a top notch 3rd liner who is good in the room and competes hard although his numbers would suggest to everyone else that he is just a plug.

Didn't he do that already when he traded for Connor Brown from the Leafs?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I have high hopes. 47 goals is 47 goals, regardless of him being an overager.
I hope he at least plays in Belleville this year. Definitely like his size, toughness and his touch around the net. Could be a good find for them.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I have high hopes. 47 goals is 47 goals, regardless of him being an overager.

I actually thought this was their homerun pick at a low risk. Has generations of NHL hockey in his blood. This is the pick I am ready to be pleasantly surprised about in a couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad