Prospect Info: 2018-2019 Senators prospect watch part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Formentons lack of Junior production is concerning. With his speed and size he should be dominating the scoreboard.

He doesn't have the head to be a top six player at the NHL level.
It's not. Like I said, don't be surprised if he barely hits PPG. He will never dominate at any level, it's not his game.
He's a one-trick pony and will only excel on counter-attacks like Grabner.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
It's not. Like I said, don't be surprised if he barely hits PPG. He will never dominate at any level, it's not his game.
Maybe he can change his game as he adds some muscle? Might not necessarily add to his PPG, but might make him useful in more aspects of the game.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Formenton is great at what he does, but he's a complimentary player through and through. He is going to be the 3rd cog on any line he plays on (not a bad thing being able to compliment skilled players) but hes just not a play driver.

Grabner with more size, strength, and feistiness is a great top 9 player.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Formenton's elite speed will allow him to produce at the NHL level, but his below average hockey sense, vision and play-making ability will limit the amount he will contribute offensively at the NHL level.

I'm thinking 30-40P a year is a fair projection. Considering his impact away from the stat sheet with his speed, forechecking and defensive play, that would make him quite a valuable player, and a great pick in the mid-2nd round.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Formentons lack of Junior production is concerning. With his speed and size he should be dominating the scoreboard.

These are aging well.
His speed is so dominant at junior is his automatic goto with success ... He will develop more of an arsenal.. give him a minute he is still young, growing, developing.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Alex Formenton hat-trick: PP, SH and EN.
Sounds about right. Open ice is his bread and butter.
With 2 other breakaway goals the other night his game could very well translate into elite bottom-6 winger.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
These are aging well.
His speed is so dominant at junior is his automatic goto with success ... He will develop more of an arsenal.. give him a minute he is still young, growing, developing.

Exactly. His hockey IQ is fine. He's still raw but i think his upside is similar to a prime Michalek.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015

Wrong..................Formenton scores hat trick but also excellent back-checker and PK.
Seen him play close to 150 games for the Knights.
Ottawa gets him @ #47........heck of a pick!!
Hard worker improving his skill level.
Shot and Puck-handling are better.
He will be Top 6 for Sens.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
All Formenton needs is a playmaker to get him the puck & Ottawa will have a few of them in Ryan, Stone, Brown & Tkachuk. He doesn't need to carry his line or carry the puck that often, he needs to get to the net like Tkachuk does & look for loose pucks, tips & rebounds & he'll be fine. He can be a complimentary player & that's fine especially if he can also be good defensively, on the PK & playing with some edge at both ends. He's got good size & just needs to add 25 or 30 lbs to that frame & with his speed he will be an asset on any line.

Reactions: zman77

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I'm sort of expecting him to be well above PPG if he isn't it has to be disappointing as a 19 year old second round pick with 10 games in the NHL under his belt he has to be a top player in the O this year especially on the team he is playing on.

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
Formy will be fine. Wait until he gets another year of development and some nhl caliber player makers on his line. He’ll streive as a complimentary player while being one of the fastest skaters in the league.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Formenton doesn’t need to become a Top-6 forward.

Tkachuk, Batherson, White will be (or are already?)

Duchene, Stone, Dzingel if they are kept

Ryan, Boedker, Tierney are there until more of these guys are ready :

Brown, Chlapik, Norris, Balcers

Even if all the vets are gone (which won’t happen)

Tkachuk-White-Batherson
Balcers-Brown-Chlapik
Formenton-Norris-????

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
35 goals... sorry I don’t see it that’s a **** ton of goals.

Michalek's prime wasn't necessarily his 35 goals season, so yeah I don't think Formenton can be as good as Michalek was in his Sharks days. It's a guy that got his career derailed by injuries (like many others). He was dangling, dekeing and shooting at high speed. Formenton needs to develop serious hands and shot to be able to do that, on top of being a physical beast. That Heatley trade ended up well for the Sens but it could have been an absolute steal if Michalek was able to play like that longer. He was bulldozing his way to the net at incredible speed.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

Michalek's prime wasn't necessarily his 35 goals season, so yeah I don't think Formenton can be as good as Michalek was in his Sharks days. It's a guy that got his career derailed by injuries (like many others). He was dangling, dekeing and shooting at high speed. Formenton needs to develop serious hands and shot to be able to do that, on top of being a physical beast. That Heatley trade ended up well for the Sens but it could have been an absolute steal if Michalek was able to play like that longer. He was bulldozing his way to the net at incredible speed.

Yeah if michalek and cheechoo both played at their career bests ITV would have been a total steal for sure. I don’t think either of them really got comfortable here. I’ll assume the environment they moved in to in Ottawa was not a very good one.

On Formenton, I think 25 goals is a realistic average.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

I can see Formenton making a lot of those plays. I don't THINK he'll end up quite as good but the style looks similar. Blazing speed, good hands and the willingness to drive the net.

The one concern I have with Formenton is that I'm not sure he has the physical make up to really fill out. He reminds a bit of Kyle Turris in that he looks like a guy who might have trouble putting on muscle mass. If he does I can see him being an absolute nightmare for D-men to handle, much like Milan was.

Reactions: Xspyrit

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
What awful music to accompany that video LOL!

Just as bad as the electronic stuff many use today.

I think Formenton will be an impact player - be it scoring some big goals, tenacious on D and PK...spreading out opposition D with threat of his speed, ect...

His dangling at full speed was noticeably better this year over last so I can easily see another big step before he plays in the NHL next season. He fits the, "new" Senators perfectly...young, eager and plays fast.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

I don't want to be rude but this is a little silly & premature given that Formenton is only 19 yrs of age & has shown quite well in his two training camps with Ottawa now, so much so, that he has almost made the team twice. It's also silly given he just had a hat trick & is playing at a PPG don't you think? I don't see Formenton driving his line but more of a complimentary player who needs a playmaker to get him the puck in scoring positions but at a PPG he does seem to be doing quite well, at the moment anyway.

All Formenton really needs is to add much more weight/muscle on that skinny frame & learn to go to the net the way Tkachuk does. He also plays with a nasty edge that I like & needs to work on tipping pucks, screening goalies & picking up rebounds in front of the net. His speed alone should keep the opposition on their toes whenever he is on the ice & even then he will still get at least one breakaway per game. If he can get better at finishing those he could turn into a formidable forward not to mention all the penalties he should draw with his speed alone. I see him as a real good upgrade to a 3rd line increasing their scoring production, he can also be very good on the PK, play a good defensive game when required & of course if he can score on the occasional breakaways that would be great. He could play on any line & help that line but at the moment I can see him on the team next season or as one of the first to be called up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alf Silfversson

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Yeah, don’t worry about Formenton’s production, I’m expecting him to be a little over PPG this season. He’s not a Jordan Kyrou where his game is almost entirely offence.
However I’m really impressed to see he has 6 goals, the biggest knock I had against him was his inability to finish and so far he has impressed. Although 2 of his goals were empty nets its a step in the right direction.

Reactions: DrEasy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad