2018-2019 Roster Discussion - Official Roster is In

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Not sure why some team that figures to be deep playoff bound doesn't just offer sheet him for 5 years. Only costs a 1st, 2nd, 3rd up to $8.1m AAV

Carolina, Colorado, Vancouver, Philly, Montreal can all do it. They have the space and the picks.

Worst case scenario is you make a new enemy and make the Leafs stronger this year I guess.
Maybe he actually wouldn't just sign any sheet and maybe he actually wants to keep riding on Matthews wing for years to come. And maybe most teams agree he Isn't actually worth over $7 million per year?? And losing assets while paying that salary really Isn't worth it.

Reactions: cobra427

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
This whole Nylander situation just shows how screwed these kids are coming of their ELC. Even if he sits the whole season he's still stuck in the same situation next year, but he hasn't advanced a year toward arbitration or UFA status.. If he was coming off those last two seasons as an UFA teams would be lining up around the block with 8x8 contracts.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
This whole Nylander situation just shows how screwed these kids are coming of their ELC. Even if he sits the whole season he's still stuck in the same situation next year, but he hasn't advanced a year toward arbitration or UFA status.. If he was coming off those last two seasons as an UFA teams would be lining up around the block with 8x8 contracts.

It'd be an 8 team league without the RFA system. The intention is for the player that has spent years being developed by a club to sign with them. That Nylander has apparently incurable beef with Toronto is not the norm. Rarely do you also have a team that is so able and willing to just sit on a prime asset. It's sort of the perfect storm of stupid.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Maybe he actually wouldn't just sign any sheet and maybe he actually wants to keep riding on Matthews wing for years to come. And maybe most teams agree he Isn't actually worth over $7 million per year?? And losing assets while paying that salary really Isn't worth it.
Agreed, he has to sign the offer sheet. Who would pay him 8 mill and give up those picks? I wouldn't and I don't think he is worth 7 mill per year either. We don't have the assets TML needs to trade for Nylander anyway, they need RHD, and we have none to give up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jakey53

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Agreed, the NLPA/NHL screw elite players on ELC/RFA contracts, the players have no leverage. The UFA's have all the leverage. It's a trade off agreed to by both sides. Nylander gets that right once he hits UFA status. Until then guys like him and Trouba can't compare their salary/term package to other players with similar stats that are at UFA status. It's really a 3 tiered payroll system.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
It'd be an 8 team league without the RFA system. The intention is for the player that has spent years being developed by a club to sign with them. That Nylander has apparently incurable beef with Toronto is not the norm. Rarely do you also have a team that is so able and willing to just sit on a prime asset. It's sort of the perfect storm of stupid.

Jets did the same with Trouba two years ago. He's inching his way towards a young UFA status. They decided to keep him for as long as they can because he's an important part of the lineup.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Agreed, he has to sign the offer sheet. Who would pay him 8 mill and give up those picks? I wouldn't and I don't think he is worth 7 mill per year either. We don't have the assets TML needs to trade for Nylander anyway, they need RHD, and we have none to give up.

Demers doesn't make or break this team. He can walk. Lybuskin can replace him, or not. Mayo, Russo and Gross can battle royale after that.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Just switch Strome with Richardson and the lineup looks great.

If Nick Merkley ever gets healthy he'd be an interesting substitution for Archibald.

Cousins - Strome - Merkley

Panik got his shit together after a couple scratches last year. Hope it can do the same this year.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Step #1 Pick up Nylander for Demers + Perlini + POJ + 1st* + 2nd**

Step #2 Offer sheet Matthews for our future.

Step #3 Win the Stanley Cup.
Can't ignore this one. You think the Coyotes are going to pay Nylander, pay Keller, and offer sheet Matthews?? Did the owner win the Powerball??

Reactions: Jakey53

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
I hope they give Strome some more capable line mates too... wow. HOWEVER... Great to see Gally on that first line. Very interesting line, too. Excited to watch that game play out!

Panik has earned his scratch, I think. Stepan is getting close, imo. He's not been horrible, but not playing up to what he needs to and is paid well for. I'm still PO'd he lost that empty net battle with Wheeler. Just looked so limp (in spirit) and weak in the skating. That's tainting my view of his play, probably, haha.

I'd like to see Strome with Grabner a bit more, personally.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I feel like they're just wanting Strome to fail
I didn't see the game against Winnipeg, but but his stats show he was down right terrible in the dot, and was quiet against the Hawks except in the dot. He deserves to play ahead of Richardson, but RT likes his vets. Strome has to show consistency, just like Perlini. If they don't, they will sit.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I don't like saddling Strome with those two rejects but scratching Panik is interesting.

I don't like saddling Strome with those two rejects but scratching Panik is interesting.

Perlini is getting every chance to succeed. So far, he has not taken the bull by the horns. He better pick it up or he will sit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad