2018-2019 Roster Discussion - Official Roster is In

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Cousins is cemented in the lineup as long as Tocc is here. He's proven that and he'll try to move Cousins up whenever he can even if it hurts the little offense we have. It's insane the attachment these coaches have with marginal players. I'd have no problem with the coach liking guys like Cousins or Tipchura if they'd just use them in the role their talent warrants. Trying to force them up in the lineup when anyone with any sense can see it hurts the team is mind boggling. Throw in the fact that you keep ****ing with Strome to give Cousins opportunities when Strome is finally showing signs he might actually develop into the player they hoped when drafting him makes it just incredibly stupid.
Hard to take a post seriously which accuses Tocchet of intentionally hurting his team’s chances by playing a favorite player.

I’m not a fan of Tocchet, but that accusation is mashugana.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
7yrs, 50.05mil, 7.15avg
  1. 5.15
  2. 6.15
  3. 7.15
  4. 7.15 (NTC-10)
  5. 7.15 (NTC-10)
  6. 8.15 (NMC)
  7. 9.15 (NMC)
He Isn't eligible for any NTC. That's one of his issues with Leaf's offer. Why woukd he take a pay cut to keep the gang together when he could be the first guy traded if necessary.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
7yrs, 50.05mil, 7.15avg
  1. 5.15
  2. 6.15
  3. 7.15
  4. 7.15 (NTC-10)
  5. 7.15 (NTC-10)
  6. 8.15 (NMC)
  7. 9.15 (NMC)

I imagine he'd want a little more money up front, especially as he hasn't gotten a pay cheque in a while. Maybe signing bonuses?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Perlini+Demers+++ for Nylander. Please?
Ok, so what is that +++ going to be because this will not move the needle. TO will want a 1st. and I would not give that up. I would think TO would rather have a young top four D than a player of Demers age.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
If we can afford to pay Nylander, I think he's worth every penny of 50 over 7 years. What do we give up to get him though? I don't want to give up this year's first, and I don't think we have all that many attractive options outside of Chychrun. With how Goose and Demers have been playing, I don't want to move him. Acquisition cost seems too high.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Demers+Panik+Perlini gets the dollars even, assuming a ~7 mil deal for Nylander. Add a protected 1st. Toronto can stash Panik in the A if they please. Not sure why they'd accept this package though. I'm sure another team can do better. Like one of Carolina's D.

Reactions: Jakey53

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Ok, so what is that +++ going to be because this will not move the needle. TO will want a 1st. and I would not give that up. I would think TO would rather have a young top four D than a player of Demers age.

If they think Demers shores up the right side depth, stabilizes the overall core, and adds some defense-first veteran presence that might help come playoff-time, I could see them wanting to add him. His value is probably a 2nd round pick.

So far this season, they’ve given up more goals than all but two teams and more shots than all but three teams. Right now their RHS D depth is Zaitsev and Ozhiganov. They obviously don’t consider Demers in the same league as Nylander, but I certainly imagine they’d have interest in a Demers. Again, he’s probably worth a 2nd rounder.

If teams were offering top-pair RHD in a salary range Toronto was comfortable with, Nylander would’ve been traded a month ago. Obviously nobody is willing to part with an asset like that for a winger holding out. The fact that Nylander hasn’t returned that shiny, top RHD, tells me that he’s not going to. He gets less likely, rather than more likely to do so as we approach December 1st, IMO.

They might believe Perlini is a 20+ goal per season winger, given their center depth and overall talent level as a team. I would think so myself. He’s also dirt cheap and young (born the same week as Nylander). A young, cheap guy that’s more likely than not to drop 20g for them this season, likely carries a great deal of value for them. If they’re missing Nylander’s offense at all (and they’re not) I would think Perlini would take a bit of the sting off. Plus he’s a legacy Leaf ;).

Is Perlini and Demers for Nylander fair? Not by a long shot. So what would Toronto want on top of this? Whatever balances the deal out value-wise, doesn’t cost cap space, and builds in flexibility (meaning trade chips). So that means picks and prospects.

The Coyotes are the worst team in the NHL. It’s absolutely out of the question that they’d deal a first round pick. Nobody would ever think to even ask. A 2nd? Sure. Two 2nds even? Why not. Some equivalent prospect like Westerlund or somebody? Yep.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If we can afford to pay Nylander, I think he's worth every penny of 50 over 7 years. What do we give up to get him though? I don't want to give up this year's first, and I don't think we have all that many attractive options outside of Chychrun. With how Goose and Demers have been playing, I don't want to move him. Acquisition cost seems too high.
I wonder how much of Nylanders success is Matthews? No doubt Nylander is a good player, but he is as winger. I believe Kapanen is playing with AM this year , is a point a game and wasn't even a regular last year. I can see why TO is being careful here with Nylander. These salaries are getting ridiculous

rt

May 13, 2004
Demers+Panik+Perlini gets the dollars even, assuming a ~7 mil deal for Nylander. Add a protected 1st. Toronto can stash Panik in the A if they please. Not sure why they'd accept this package though. I'm sure another team can do better. Like one of Carolina's D.
We’d have to back load Nylander a bit. At age 22, I think that’s reasonable. They wouldn’t take that cap dump. Stashing Panik only saves them a million in cap. No way.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
In one thread where TML fans were discussing this they suggested Chychrun would be the key return they would feel good about. ie Chychrun + Perlini for Nylander.

rt

May 13, 2004
I wonder how much of Nylanders success is Matthews? No doubt Nylander is a good player, but he is as winger. I believe Kapanen is playing with AM this year , is a point a game and wasn't even a regular last year. I can see why TO is being careful here with Nylander. These salaries are getting ridiculous
His numbers without Matthews are still quite good, IIRC. Small sample though. Nylander has center optionality. That situation is a little like the Galchenyuk one, except that Nylander really never got the chance in the NHL. He probably still believes he’s a center.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If they think Demers shores up the right side depth, stabilizes the overall core, and adds some defense-first veteran presence that might help come playoff-time, I could see them wanting to add him. His value is probably a 2nd round pick.

So far this season, they’ve given up more goals than all but two teams and more shots than all but three teams. Right now their RHS D depth is Zaitsev and Ozhiganov. They obviously don’t consider Demers in the same league as Nylander, but I certainly imagine they’d have interest in a Demers. Again, he’s probably worth a 2nd rounder.

If teams were offering top-pair RHD in a salary range Toronto was comfortable with, Nylander would’ve been traded a month ago. Obviously nobody is willing to part with an asset like that for a winger holding out. The fact that Nylander hasn’t returned that shiny, top RHD, tells me that he’s not going to. He gets less likely, rather than more likely to do so as we approach December 1st, IMO.

They might believe Perlini is a 20+ goal per season winger, given their center depth and overall talent level as a team. I would think so myself. He’s also dirt cheap and young (born the same week as Nylander). A young, cheap guy that’s more likely than not to drop 20g for them this season, likely carries a great deal of value for them. If they’re missing Nylander’s offense at all (and they’re not) I would think Perlini would take a bit of the sting off. Plus he’s a legacy Leaf ;).

Is Perlini and Demers for Nylander fair? Not by a long shot. So what would Toronto want on top of this? Whatever balances the deal out value-wise, doesn’t cost cap space, and builds in flexibility (meaning trade chips). So that means picks and prospects.

The Coyotes are the worst team in the NHL. It’s absolutely out of the question that they’d deal a first round pick. Nobody would ever think to even ask. A 2nd? Sure. Two 2nds even? Why not. Some equivalent prospect like Westerlund or somebody? Yep.
I think TO would trade Kapanen before Nylander, and with the year he is having would return a good RD. Ask yourself this. Would you trade Keller for that package you suggested? Most on this board is saying how much Demers sucks, is 30 years old, but you have him a one of the major pieces for a top six winger. I don't think many GM's like to trade this early in the season as they want to see what kind of team they have from their off season moves. I would think that around the 20 games mark, things will open up a lot. Besides, losing Demers now leaves a hole on our RD, so I don't think we are good trading partners with the Leafs.

Reactions: cobra427

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
In one thread where TML fans were discussing this they suggested Chychrun would be the key return they would feel good about. ie Chychrun + Perlini for Nylander.
That might be what the fans are saying, but I highly doubt Chychrun is on TO's radar, at all. Two major knee injuries in less than two year, we are holding our breath what kind of player he will be.

Reactions: cobra427

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
His numbers without Matthews are still quite good, IIRC. Small sample though. Nylander has center optionality. That situation is a little like the Galchenyuk one, except that Nylander really never got the chance in the NHL. He probably still believes he’s a center.
If other GM's and TO thinks he can be a C, he is worth even more. Your offer would be laughed at.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I’m a fan. I get hung up on six game samples. I doubt professional nhl scouts have that same problem.
I haven't seen much of either player before they came here, but they've both been wildly inconsistent with us. Trade value wise I don't know how much that effects things, I'm just saying I'd be hesitant to trade Chychrun with two of our top 4 dmen playing well below top 4 level.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
We’d have to back load Nylander a bit. At age 22, I think that’s reasonable. They wouldn’t take that cap dump. Stashing Panik only saves them a million in cap. No way.

I don't see an ugly contract they could send back to take on Panik either.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
That might be what the fans are saying, but I highly doubt Chychrun is on TO's radar, at all. Two major knee injuries in less than two year, we are holding our breath what kind of player he will be.

Of course. And only a few fans at that.

It was more to suggest the Coyotes don't really have the assets to trade for Nylander without giving up a 1st. And they probably should not be doing that (certainly not without lottery protection).

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Are there any rumors that we are actually in on Nylander or is it all speculation? I havent been able to keep up with hockey news as much as I usually do.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Ask yourself this. Would you trade Keller for that package you suggested?

Keller isnt holding out for 7-8m on a team that just signed Taveres and is about to need to re-sign Matthews and Marner. If Keller was holding out like Turris his value would plumet because he isnt the same asset if he wont play for the team. He may be the same player but his value isnt the same on his team if he isnt playing. Other teams know this and wont pay the full price.

How long will Toronto wait and what are they currently waiting for?

rt

May 13, 2004
Keller isnt holding out for 7-8m on a team that just signed Taveres and is about to need to re-sign Matthews and Marner. If Keller was holding out like Turris his value would plumet because he isnt the same asset if he wont play for the team. He may be the same player but his value isnt the same on his team if he isnt playing. Other teams know this and wont pay the full price.

How long will Toronto wait and what are they currently waiting for?
If he doesn’t sign by Dec1 he has to sit out the entire season.

rt

May 13, 2004
So a week and a month until Toronto is without a key part of their roster for a year. Does he still count as a roster spot?
I’d be surprised if he did. He’s without a contract, so I would guess that he’s not really a part of the team in any way other than having some say in his rights. Even then, he’s a free agent, just with some restrictions.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Not sure why some team that figures to be deep playoff bound doesn't just offer sheet him for 5 years. Only costs a 1st, 2nd, 3rd up to $8.1m AAV

Carolina, Colorado, Vancouver, Philly, Montreal can all do it. They have the space and the picks.

Worst case scenario is you make a new enemy and make the Leafs stronger this year I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad