2018-2019 Roster Discussion - Official Roster is In

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Exactly. Also, Nylander has had only two good years, both with Matthews. Will he produce anywhere close to that without him?
Maybe, maybe not. It's a mistake to spend 8 mill+ on wingers. spend that on a 1C or 1D only.

Reactions: Jakey53

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I didn't like Strome the last two games. Consistency is so important for these young kids to succeed. I have no problem cutting minutes from any player not playing well, but the problem I have is not being fair when doing it. Sitting Panik is fine by me, but there are other players not pulling their weight. Stepan has made as many mistakes as Strome and has only one point, yet he gets big minutes. Perlini has been invisible most games. Gogo has no points in seven games and is -7. Cousins has more points than Stepan, yet plays 7 minutes less a night. I know Cousins doesn't get much love on these boards but he has played very good every game.
Jakey, do you not think Tocc see's all of it? Tocc has no reason to cut Strome's minutes, we are desperate for points, and Strome has been a producer(at lower levels). Gogo plays way tougher assignments, might explain his -7. Stepan is our best C and is solid in all 3 zones, he isn't making mental mistakes at anywhere close to what Strome has this year and he'll get his usual 50+ points too. You can't always look at stats when assessing minutes or line combinations. Strome on the 4th line might be good for him. He won't face a scoring line 5 on 5 and he might have more room to operate against the other teams 4th line. Strome will still get PP minutes and we can sure use his skill there.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Jakey, do you not think Tocc see's all of it? Tocc has no reason to cut Strome's minutes, we are desperate for points, and Strome has been a producer(at lower levels). Gogo plays way tougher assignments, might explain his -7. Stepan is our best C and is solid in all 3 zones, he isn't making mental mistakes at anywhere close to what Strome has this year and he'll get his usual 50+ points too. You can't always look at stats when assessing minutes or line combinations. Strome on the 4th line might be good for him. He won't face a scoring line 5 on 5 and he might have more room to operate against the other teams 4th line. Strome will still get PP minutes and we can sure use his skill there.
Stepan has been now where near our best C. I think he has made as many mistakes as any of our C's. RT brought his minutes down from 23 to 18, so he has seen something there, but I think his minutes should have been in the 13 range in some of the games. Gogo can play much better, we have all seen it, so to accept his play this year is wrong, and besides, he is suppose to be one of the leaders and eat tough minutes. Last year the vets didn't show up until the 20 game mark, and this year some are in that same mind set. As a team, we are much better than last year, but we are still a team by committee. The kids don't get off here either. Strome, Perlini, Fischer have to be much better. We are fast, getting shots, more chances etc. etc. Whoopee doo. We aren't getting W's and that is all I care about. Every game we have passengers, and we can't have that. Somebody besides OEL, Keller and Raanta please show up.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Lines don't match up evenly, Strome could be playing forth line minutes but match up vs a teams second line half the time. I think combinations and minutes played is more the issue here. Strome is strapped to two players not known for their production which seems like a waste of his talent. When I saw who was with Richardson and who they slotted Strome to play with, I was curious who he pissed off because he's looked good and JC's comments suggest they have been happy with his game. I'd be more inclined to believe they are just trying to keep him in the game but give him a bit of a break.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Strome has to be better, but I don't see how he is gonna do it by having to carry bookends. He isn't a super dynamic player, he isn't going to carry a line. He had one rough game and then was immediately banished to the fourth line. If that isn't in the doghouse I don't know what is...

Reactions: Sthlmyote

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Stepan has been now where near our best C. I think he has made as many mistakes as any of our C's. RT brought his minutes down from 23 to 18, so he has seen something there, but I think his minutes should have been in the 13 range in some of the games. Gogo can play much better, we have all seen it, so to accept his play this year is wrong, and besides, he is suppose to be one of the leaders and eat tough minutes. Last year the vets didn't show up until the 20 game mark, and this year some are in that same mind set. As a team, we are much better than last year, but we are still a team by committee. The kids don't get off here either. Strome, Perlini, Fischer have to be much better. We are fast, getting shots, more chances etc. etc. Whoopee doo. We aren't getting W's and that is all I care about. Every game we have passengers, and we can't have that. Somebody besides OEL, Keller and Raanta please show up.
Who has been our best C if not Stepan? And don't say Strome, he just isn't. If we had a couple more goals and a few more points, your narrative above would be different. We have a very low shots against, so the team must be playing pretty well on D and our puck possession has been good. We have less passengers then last year or the year before. I want wins too, but I see the underlying dynamics as much better than most.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Strome has to be better, but I don't see how he is gonna do it by having to carry bookends. He isn't a super dynamic player, he isn't going to carry a line. He had one rough game and then was immediately banished to the fourth line. If that isn't in the doghouse I don't know what is...
Galchenyuk at 1C might be why, and Tocc might like the second and third line combos for different reasons. Maybe Strome is a liability when we don't have the puck and he isn't producing. I have seen him make 3 checks this year, 2 for penalties. Tocc moves guys around anyway, he could easily move up, this isn't the end of the world.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Who has been our best C if not Stepan? And don't say Strome, he just isn't. If we had a couple more goals and a few more points, your narrative above would be different. We have a very low shots against, so the team must be playing pretty well on D and our puck possession has been good. We have less passengers then last year or the year before. I want wins too, but I see the underlying dynamics as much better than most.
Let me put it this way. Overall they have all been crap, but Stepan is suppose to be our 1C, be a leader for the kids and he just has not. He gets more TOI than any forward on this team, including Keller, has under 50% FOW's and one point, and he shoots like a girl. If you consider Stepan to be our best C so be it. For me, the way he has played this year, he would be a 3C on most good teams. Sure we have less passengers than last year, but we still have to many. We have been so accustomed to mediocrity it's at the point of ridiculous. I want W's and lots of them. We are in year four of the rebuild.

Last edited:
Reactions: moosemeister

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Galchenyuk at 1C might be why, and Tocc might like the second and third line combos for different reasons. Maybe Strome is a liability when we don't have the puck and he isn't producing. I have seen him make 3 checks this year, 2 for penalties. Tocc moves guys around anyway, he could easily move up, this isn't the end of the world.
Chucky has been injured and in his first game back he is our 1C. What does that tell you about the rest? Hell, I thought Cousins was our best C the last couple of games.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Lines don't match up evenly, Strome could be playing forth line minutes but match up vs a teams second line half the time. I think combinations and minutes played is more the issue here. Strome is strapped to two players not known for their production which seems like a waste of his talent. When I saw who was with Richardson and who they slotted Strome to play with, I was curious who he pissed off because he's looked good and JC's comments suggest they have been happy with his game. I'd be more inclined to believe they are just trying to keep him in the game but give him a bit of a break.
As I see it, Strome has consistency problems, just like so many other kids. On our team alone, you have Fischer, Perlini, Crouse, all learning the ropes. I really don't care who you play with, it's how you play. Take the bull by the horns and get noticed. We all know that no matter how well you play, you won't get more minutes that Stepan. Just ask Keller.:)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I wish they'd move Stepan to the RW. I know C is more fitting to him, but he's never been great at FOs
You should have stopped your sentence after the fourth word.:) I have no idea why I have so much hate for Stepan. It just pisses me off that he has that smile on his face, win or lose. It's like his s--- don't stink, I'm the king of the hill, I have a A on my sweater, I'm a leader, I play more than any other forward, I use to be C for the NY Rangers. He seems arrogant to me and like he doesn't give a s---. Hell, he's probably a great guy and it's not his fault he was given an A and gets more TOI than any other forward. :)

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
As I see it, Strome has consistency problems, just like so many other kids. On our team alone, you have Fischer, Perlini, Crouse, all learning the ropes. I really don't care who you play with, it's how you play. Take the bull by the horns and get noticed. We all know that no matter how well you play, you won't get more minutes that Stepan. Just ask Keller.:)
I'm not disagreeing with him missing consistancy, but is dropping him onto the 4th line shortly after the GM mentions him as a bright spot not sending mixed messages? The kid is playing good hockey overall, as long as the message to him is clear and accurate, I'm ok with this. If they are jerking him around because of a few mistakes everyone expects 1st year NHLers to make then I'm disappointed.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
If Strome is a dominant player he will show it regardless of the skill of his line mates. We will all be posting about Cousins and Archibald’s golden opportunities that they flubbed.

I want to see something in Strome in the worst way but remain disappointed.

Reactions: cobra427

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
You should have stopped your sentence after the fourth word.:)

Don't know the guy or his personality, just that he seems positionally sound on the ice (offense/defense balance) but rarely wins enough FOs to be successful. He (like Goligoski) seem to be going through the motions out there, which doesn't mesh well with the team's philosophy. I'd be fine if we moved him for scoring forward (if anyone would want him)

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Strome isn't a great player. Neither was Turris but he looked a hell of a lit better playing consistently up in the lineup with Ottawa than he did here. What did they do different other than play him in a higher spot with more minutes and consistently better linemates? At this point would anybody be disappointed if Strome turns into a decent #2 like Turris? Can he develop into that playing with the worst two forwards on the roster (before he requests a trade)?

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Your just looking at Stepan's points, he has been consistent on D and without the puck, he is solid. If he is a s bad as you say, strome should easily outplay him and be our 1C right now:)

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Let me put it this way. Overall they have all been crap, but Stepan is suppose to be our 1C, be a leader for the kids and he just has not. He gets more TOI than any forward on this team, including Keller, has under 50% FOW's and one point, and he shoots like a girl. If you consider Stepan to be our best C so be it. For me, the way he has played this year, he would be a 3C on most good teams. Sure we have less passengers than last year, but we still have to many. We have been so accustomed to mediocrity it's at the point of ridiculous. I want W's and lots of them. We are in year four of the rebuild.
Pretty sure Stepan is our best C as of now:)

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Pretty sure Stepan is our best C as of now:)

giphy.gif

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Where was this player the past 100 games? This is how he should be playing every game. Maybe he heard us talk about him.
Stepan is a 50 point + player every year, this year will be no different. Talk about OEL that way before next game, we need to get him going too:)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Stepan is a 50 point + player every year, this year will be no different. Talk about OEL that way before next game, we need to get him going too:)
OEL has been playing well. IF Stepan continues this type of play, I will be more than happy, although I don't expect it. Perlini didn't get as many points as his line mates, but he deserves much of the credit for that lines success last night. I really hope they can build from this game.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Mario Kempe placed on waivers this morning..... presuming to make room for Chychrun and sending him to Tucson if he clears..

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Kempe on waivers according to the thread on the main-board...

(which links to this. )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad