Speculation: 2018-2019 Roster Discussion #2 - Even Worser!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You say the same **** day in and day out. You don’t have the slightest clue as to what’s going to happen, either. So stop making it sound like you’re so sure as to what will and will not happen.
SR to earth. Matthews is not coming to Phoenix. Nice to dream, but TO will never lose Matthews to a OS. ANY offer sheet will be matched.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Kessel market being tested according to Friedman
8. According to multiple sources, Pittsburgh “tested the market” on Phil Kessel. This one is tricky, because the Penguins appear to have decided to hold off on anything involving him for the time being, but that doesn’t mean it can’t or won’t be revisited. Three weeks ago, the Penguins were last in the Eastern Conference. Tuesday’s win over Colorado put them within two points of the playoffs, and who is betting against them? GM Jim Rutherford’s been searching for ways to upgrade the roster. He’s made two moves — Carl Hagelin to Los Angeles for Tanner Pearson, Daniel Sprong to Anaheim for Marcus Pettersson — but is eyeing more. The Penguins don’t have a ton to trade without seriously altering the team. Kessel has some control of the process with partial no-trade protection. Toronto still pays $1.2 million of his $8-million salary. The winger has 10 goals and 29 points in 26 games, so the production is still there. We’ll see where it goes.

The Mentalist

Jun 29, 2018
Would Chayka be willing to give up OEL (retained) + Keller + 1st + 2nd for Matthews. Will Dubas accept?

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Would Chayka be willing to give up OEL (retained) + Keller + 1st + 2nd for Matthews. Will Dubas accept?

Right now, no. But, we have POJ coming down the pipeline and Chychrun has the pedigree. If there is not a significant difference between OEL and those two, it may be something to consider (still think it is unlikely). I would have a harder time offering up Keller and would prefer to look at something like:

OEL, Dvorak, and two 1st round picks (2019 and 2021) to make it work. Maybe thrown in a B prospect for a C prospect type like Tyler Steenbergen for Jordan Subban

Dvorak being included would be something because he is signed to a decent term value deal and picking up Matthews would kind of make him expendable going forward.

jmichael7753

Sep 29, 2017
No idea what the pens would want for Kessel, but if we don't have to give up the farm, it may be worth looking into again.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I suspect I would hate the price they'd have to pay to get 31yr old Kessel. Unless he's unusually cheap, I'd prefer they not go down that road. And f*** any reunite with Tocchet talk, Kessel was awesome on his own. While he may have become less of an issue personality wise on the Pens I think that's more likely because he didn't have to be the man there since they literally have 2 of the best players of all time playing the most important position in hockey. I'm sure Tocchet helped but I think things still would have turned out roughly the same whether he was there or not.

Reactions: Lilhoody and RemoAZ

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Mathews isn't leaving TML unless and until he is a UFA. Forget anyone landing him until then.

Reactions: Jakey53

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Sure but offering to Matthews also shows the team is willing to sign him later on when he hits FA, and if the Coyotes keep up with the upward trajectory he has to keep entertaining the thought of potentially signing here later on. It just helps strengthen our chances of signing him later. It can also show other players we have the means to come up with cash for good players as well, so we might draw some one else when they see we’re being serious about building a contender.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Offer sheeting Matthews really isn’t designed to land him, nice as that might be, it’s designed to hamstring Toronto going forward. But which team would be willing to get into an offer sheet war with Toronto?

Reactions: Imaravencawcaw

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
As much as Matthews would be a massive upgrade in talent at the C position, gutting the limited talent already on the roster to acquire him does not help. The Coyotes could risk 5 1st round picks by going the offer sheet route (very risky but Matthews is a special player) to ice a playoff calibre line up. Toronto will match though and figure a way to get rid of salary elsewhere.

Tantilizing to imagine but so, so unlikely.

Keller - Matthews - Fischer
Galchenyuk - Dvorak - Schmaltz
Crouse - Hayton - Hinostroza
Grabner - Richardson - Archibald
Stepan? Cousins? Panik?

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Another thing about the Yotes going to Central though: how will this affect the trade-universe? After all, Chayka has been trading a lot with Chicago... I assume Blackhawks has been thinking it's ok to trade a lot with another team in the west, as Yotes are in the other division, but now....

Eh.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Sure but offering to Matthews also shows the team is willing to sign him later on when he hits FA, and if the Coyotes keep up with the upward trajectory he has to keep entertaining the thought of potentially signing here later on. It just helps strengthen our chances of signing him later. It can also show other players we have the means to come up with cash for good players as well, so we might draw some one else when they see we’re being serious about building a contender.
What strengthens our chances to sign Mathews or any player when they are a UFA is being the highest bidder. Everything else is window dressing. Dollars X years =Total dollars, if we are the highest, we win.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
What strengthens our chances to sign Mathews or any player when they are a UFA is being the highest bidder. Everything else is window dressing. Dollars X years =Total dollars, if we are the highest, we win.
Not necessarily. Wheeler took less to play elsewhere.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I REALLY want Kessel. I think Goligoski would waive for Pittsburgh. I’d be okay giving up a protected 1st, too. Kessel’s salary back dives, so with the 15% TO retention he’s due only 5.95 this year and next and only 5.1 the next(final) two years. We could make it work. With having just traded Sprong for Pettersson, I would think Pittsburgh would demand a LD go out if Goligoski comes back and that a winger from our side be involved. Not sure if there’s a good fit.

Reactions: Heldig

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Tell Goligoski to waive for Pittsburgh or we're trading him to some shithole team in the summer. He can only block 8 teams then.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
He was free to sign with any team he wanted to. We no longer owned he rights. He was a free agent.
No? It was an example of a player taking less to play where he wanted.
Sure, because of a loop hole. I'm talking about a vet that has played the required years to reach UFA status and get paid big money, last chance likely to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad