Speculation: 2018-2019 Roster Discussion #2 - Even Worser!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Sure, because of a loop hole. I'm talking about a vet that has played the required years to reach UFA status and get paid big money, last chance likely to do so.
He was grandfathered into a richer ELC structure if he signed with us. He actually took LESS money to sign with Boston.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Kessel is a prime candidate to have his production fall off the proverbial cliff. Given he seems to run out of rope with every organization he's around - even winning ones - I want nothing to do with this player at anything approaching his trade value.

If it's garbage like Goligoski for Kessel, sign me up.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
How about this, a three way between AZ, Edmo and Toronto? I don't know what it looks like and I'm thinking obtaining McDavid would via via trade, not an offer sheet, now that he has signed an extension.

The logic being, McDavid is or becomes disenfranchised in Edmonton; money aside, he is a competitor and wants to win the big prize. He goes home to Toronto (area), Matthews comes home to Arizona. Toronto isn't out an asset per se. Arizona gets a franchise player. Edmonton gets to start over (again) with dollars and rebuilding.

Obviously Edmonton is the loser in this, not Toronto or Arizona. How can such a scenario play out? People, assets and method?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I REALLY want Kessel. I think Goligoski would waive for Pittsburgh. I’d be okay giving up a protected 1st, too. Kessel’s salary back dives, so with the 15% TO retention he’s due only 5.95 this year and next and only 5.1 the next(final) two years. We could make it work. With having just traded Sprong for Pettersson, I would think Pittsburgh would demand a LD go out if Goligoski comes back and that a winger from our side be involved. Not sure if there’s a good fit.

Tell Goligoski to waive for Pittsburgh or we're trading him to some ****hole team in the summer. He can only block 8 teams then.
With Demers out all year, we can't afford to lose Gogo.

Reactions: JasonDemersIsOkay

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
How about this, a three way between AZ, Edmo and Toronto? I don't know what it looks like and I'm thinking obtaining McDavid would via via trade, not an offer sheet, now that he has signed an extension.

The logic being, McDavid is or becomes disenfranchised in Edmonton; money aside, he is a competitor and wants to win the big prize. He goes home to Toronto (area), Matthews comes home to Arizona. Toronto isn't out an asset per se. Arizona gets a franchise player. Edmonton gets to start over (again) with dollars and rebuilding.

Obviously Edmonton is the loser in this, not Toronto or Arizona. How can such a scenario play out? People, assets and method?
It can't play out, it won't play out, never going to happen. Edmonton and TO have two of the best players, they will not trade them or lose them to a OS. End of story. The only way Matthews comes home will be to visit in the off season.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
General Manager John Chayka has liked what he has seen from Hill thus far. He also likes the concept of having extended depth at goaltender once Raanta and Kuemper are both healthy.
"I think you need to let things play out," Chayka told Arizona Sports 98.7 FM, the team's flagship radio station, on Wednesday. "It's a performance-based business and whoever is playing well plays ... To step in and do what (Hill) has done, it gets your attention, so credit to him. I think we need all three goalies, and we'll go from there."

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
It can't play out, it won't play out, never going to happen. Edmonton and TO have two of the best players, they will not trade them or lose them to a OS. End of story. The only way Matthews comes home will be to visit in the off season.
Sorry Jakey but reality doesn't seem to be welcomed here.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Flames fan coming in peace hombres. Would darcy kuemper potentially be available? What would it cost?
If no, perhaps a bigger deal could be made for raanta?

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Agree with this. Hot hand plays until proven otherwise.

Last edited:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Ok, Jamieh, thanks for your input.

Doesn't make sense to offer him a seven-year sheet. They just match, and he's unavailable for seven years. That's dumb if you want Matthews.

What does make sense is a big money three year deal that gets him to UFA status ASAP when they match and #'s their salary cap.

If he wants to come home in three years, great. If not, no harm, no foul. Or maybe they get willing to trade him with a year or half a year left as he approaches UFA, and it's clear won't be re-upping there.

But they just match anything right now. They obviously want to lock him up long-term. They won't give him a three -year deal voluntarily. That's where you weaponize the offer-sheet rules and make them match.

Even if he has zero desire to come home and gets a maple leaf tattoed on his ass, he has little reason at his age to pass on a deal that gets him to UFA status as soon as possible under the CBA AND shows him the money. Leafs have no choice but to match or take the picks.
They match; you get your shot at Matthews in three years. They might have to trade away other players they'd rather keep in a properly structured deal. Chance to score there, too. Still better than helping him reup for seven years with the Leafs this offseason.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Doesn't make sense to offer him a seven-year sheet. They just match, and he's unavailable for seven years. That's dumb if you want Matthews.

What does make sense is a big money three year deal that gets him to UFA status ASAP when they match and #'s their salary cap.

If he wants to come home in three years, great. If not, no harm, no foul. Or maybe they get willing to trade him with a year or half a year left as he approaches UFA, and it's clear won't be re-upping there.

But they just match anything right now. They obviously want to lock him up long-term. They won't give him a three -year deal voluntarily. That's where you weaponize the offer-sheet rules and make them match.

Even if he has zero desire to come home and gets a maple leaf tattoed on his ass, he has little reason at his age to pass on a deal that gets him to UFA status as soon as possible under the CBA AND shows him the money. Leafs have no choice but to match or take the picks.
They match; you get your shot at Matthews in three years. They might have to trade away other players they'd rather keep in a properly structured deal. Chance to score there, too. Still better than helping him reup for seven years with the Leafs this offseason.
Matthews is on the record as wanting a long term deal, no idea if a short big money deal changes that???

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Rather than actually offer Matthews a contract, I would work to see if we could get a trade for Nylander. It seems more doable.

Reactions: Imaravencawcaw

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Kessel is owed $6.8 million per year for 3 more seasons. He is on pace for about 90 points again. If he could be had without touching the core young guys I would love to have him on the team.

It would cost Goligoski + Galchenyuk + something else that hurts (a 1st) so the Coyotes cant really do it IMO.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
What would you be asking for kuemper? Western Canadian boy with decent numbers. I'd love the flames to give him a shot!

I was thinking the Flames would be the best fit for him as well should it come to that (I'm still kind of on team hold all the goalies myself)
But then you'd have the 3 goalies problem too :laugh:

He's probably worth a late 2nd at absolute best, more likely a 3rd right now given the injuries. Kinda why I'd rather just hold him.

I'd probably use such a deal to try and unload a contract. 2nd for Kuemper + Mermis (slightly aging D prospect, looked passable in spot duty this year at the NHL level).

Gets Chayka some trade room to try and take advantage of some potential deals later in the year (contract slot) and draft pick ammo which he enjoys.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Matthews is TO's best player and they will move heaven and earth to keep him. Not only is he TO's best player but probably top five in the entire league. TO will trade anybody and everybody before they trade Matthews, just like every other team in the league would. AM is probably the best player in TO's franchise history. You never say never, but in this case, NEVER.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
If Toronto is foolish enough to let Mathews hit RFA status then I support an all in contract offer approach from AZ even if I suspect TORONTO will just match. I have no issue with it.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
If Toronto is foolish enough to let Mathews hit RFA status then I support an all in contract offer approach from AZ even if I suspect TORONTO will just match. I have no issue with it.

The offersheet can be just a one year contract at max, then they will have to pay him max to match it, and they will be forced to pay him max (or near max, when the caps go up), for the next extention... or it is not a QO...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad