Speculation: 2018-2019 Roster Discussion #2 - Even Worser!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Based on much of the discussion around here the last day or so:

Yeah it's great the team isn't horrible and out of it by October 31st. We saw that crap show already. But we're not strictly speaking good (or even really respectable, 27th overall).

The defense and goaltending have more than done their jobs as have the forwards defensively. And the Pacific being horribad certainly helps.

But the reason the frustration around here seems disproportionate to the improvement compared to last season is there are so many underperforming roster pieces that we can all see on a nightly basis if even just a few more things went right we'd be seriously talking about being in the race not just happy to be on the fringes. That's why this team is maddening in ways even the tank teams weren't.

End message, carry on.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The team, via various trades, committed to the path of young players and the improvement needs to come from them. It isn't happening under Tocchet and doesn't look like it's in the cards anytime soon. He and the staff may not be at fault but they're not soothing anything either. They may as well be any other rando Gretzky coached squad right now in terms of future and composition; lots of under-performing and not a lot of trade ammo to improve things. That's a pretty disappointing place to be in what feels like a perpetual rebuild.

It's like the car started up the mountain path but stalled out hard when the grade got a little steeper. This doesn't get any better when players start coming off ELC contracts either. This crutch-on-the-goalie-and-were-.500 level of performance cannot even be steadily maintained. The clock is always ticking.

If they win the lottery or draft extremely high then just burn the roster to the ground and start over around Keller, Chychrun, Hayton, draft pick. Hopefully at that point a couple Dineen, POJ, Capo etc... pan out and you've got something approaching a core.

They should be going all-in on Strome because getting him going is the only thing that gets the car moving up the mountain again without having to start over. Instead we're just getting force fed Panik.It is disappointing to watch a supposedly progressive franchise do something so aggressively regressive.

The hockey may be more entertaining but the management is certainly not.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
The team, via various trades, committed to the path of young players and the improvement needs to come from them. It isn't happening under Tocchet and doesn't look like it's in the cards anytime soon. He and the staff may not be at fault but they're not soothing anything either. They may as well be any other rando Gretzky coached squad right now in terms of future and composition; lots of under-performing and not a lot of trade ammo to improve things. That's a pretty disappointing place to be in what feels like a perpetual rebuild.

It's like the car started up the mountain path but stalled out hard when the grade got a little steeper. This doesn't get any better when players start coming off ELC contracts either. This crutch-on-the-goalie-and-were-.500 level of performance cannot even be steadily maintained. The clock is always ticking.

If they win the lottery or draft extremely high then just burn the roster to the ground and start over around Keller, Chychrun, Hayton, draft pick. Hopefully at that point a couple Dineen, POJ, Capo etc... pan out and you've got something approaching a core.

They should be going all-in on Strome because getting him going is the only thing that gets the car moving up the mountain again without having to start over. Instead we're just getting force fed Panik.It is disappointing to watch a supposedly progressive franchise do something so aggressively regressive.

I'll pay all our ELC contracts with cash I get using my PIN number at an ATM machine.

Reactions: Dead Coyote

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Absolutely. It sucks because it feels like we’re SOOO close. I feel like the Tocchet’s system and approach COULD be perfect for our players and this rebuild if he just wanted it to be. Stylistically we couldn’t be more different from the previous regime. Ideologically we are the same. Depresssing.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I’m thinking of all of those Bob Murray rumors from a week or two ago. That he’s looking to shake it up. That he’s going to make a hockey trade. That he’s looking for help on D with Fowler’s face being shattered. Wondering if there could be a fit with Goligoski to Anaheim?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Good post. We may not have that superstar but we have to keep on truckin, but I see no need to burn it to the ground.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I’m thinking of all of those Bob Murray rumors from a week or two ago. That he’s looking to shake it up. That he’s going to make a hockey trade. That he’s looking for help on D with Fowler’s face being shattered. Wondering if there could be a fit with Goligoski to Anaheim?

Chayka has made a million trades the last two years, so I think it's time to let the players play and see what happens. At the first sign of adversity you guys want to trade this player one day, another player the next day. How about we don't trade anyone until the TD at the earliest. With all the new players and injuries we really don't know what we have.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
I get minor tweaks here and there as far as the roster goes, but we just can’t score. That’s been our problem from which seems like day one.

Galchenyuk has been underwhelming. Maybe because that’s cast upon Domi’s success in Montreal? I don’t know. Keller’s certainly found that sophomore slump cushion. Perlini, Strome, Fischer all have been nothing short of a disappointment, especially Perlini and aside from a few good games out of Strome he’s certainly not producing like a top 3 pick.

Stepan is hit or miss. We’ve won games off our PK... I am not talking killing penalties, but scoring goals. It’s so weird.

Our bottom six have kept us in games and scored when needed over our top six, shouldn’t that be reversed?

Defense has been somewhat decent. I think a core, for the next two years needs to be OEL, Chychrun, hjarlmarsson and Oesterle and fill in from there.

I think our goalie tandem is top in the league.

I am indifferent on Strome. I feel if we really put stock into him and invest into him and trust him I think things could change?

Keep:
Keller
Strome
Stepan
Galchenyuk
Grabner
Crouse
Hinostroza
Dvorak

OEL
Chychrun
Hjarlmarsson
Oesterle
Lybushkin?

Raanta
Kuemper

Look to deal:
Perlini
Fischer
Panik
Gologoski
Demers
Cannauton
Cousins
Archibald

And go from there.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Yeah remember all of Nasher’s talk the first game of the year? “Everyone talks about a sophomore slump, NOT with Clayton Keller...he’s TOO GOOD, he’s TOO SMART. There won’t be any sophomore slump for this kid...” Way to throw out the hex there Tyson...

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Good list, SR. Only change I'd make is swapping Fischer and Strome. Fischer isn't scoring but at least he can bring some size and snarl, which we severely lack. I haven't hidden my desire to wash our hands of Strome.

Reactions: kbay and Lilhoody

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Good list, SR. Only change I'd make is swapping Fischer and Strome. Fischer isn't scoring but at least he can bring some size and snarl, which we severely lack. I haven't hidden my desire to wash our hands of Strome.

I think before we decide to actually get rid of Strome he has to have an extended look with more talented linemates...preferably Keller or Vinny. I feel like he’d be great with Vinny and Crouse. If he gets that look and still can’t get any traction or anything going then yeah, time to cut bait.

Lawson of Anarchy

I'm kind of embarrassed
Oct 9, 2016
London

My thoughts on Strome - Does the league feel that he is valuable? I know we are upset that the 3OA isn't tearing up the league. Putting those feelings aside, he is contributing much more this year than he did last. Much better defense despite what many here think. Solid on the dot. We have all witnessed his smooth passing. His upside looks pretty good - maybe not 1C though. (Does Dawn Braid work for the team anymore?)

What is his value if we trade? I don't think it will be as much as he is worth. I think it is maturation he needs and not change of scenery.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I think before we decide to actually get rid of Strome he has to have an extended look with more talented linemates...preferably Keller or Vinny. I feel like he’d be great with Vinny and Crouse. If he gets that look and still can’t get any traction or anything going then yeah, time to cut bait.

Strome has played 46 NHL games. I wouldn't cut bait on most players with so few games.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Strome has played 46 NHL games. I wouldn't cut bait on most players with so few games.

Me either. That’s what I was saying...I don’t think they are at that point yet with him and rightfully so. It’s up to Tocchet to keep communicating with him and develop him, and maybe god forbid, put him with at least one skill player at even strength

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Galchenyuk has been underwhelming. Maybe because that’s cast upon Domi’s success in Montreal?

For "fun" I decided to look at how former Yotes are performing compared to new Yotes. Domi, Duclair, and Martinook are having career high years (so far), while the new Coyotes are consistent with last years performance.

1qgvif.png

Reactions: CC96

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
After watching last night’s game it’s apparent now more than ever that we need a player like either Mark Stone or Zuccarello. The forward group needs another leader...someone with some tenacity and someone who will show these guys how to bring their compete level up on a nightly basis.

Reactions: zerekstar

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
After watching last night’s game it’s apparent now more than ever that we need a player like either Mark Stone or Zuccarello. The forward group needs another leader...someone with some tenacity and someone who will show these guys how to bring their compete level up on a nightly basis.

Agree. I think we are also missing Dvorak.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

We need someone with a bit of swagger, like a MacKinnon. The only problem, they are impossible to get other than drafting. Most know we need another RW with talent, the problem is how to acquire such player.

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
At this point if I knew a new arena and ownership was in the works I could sit through a five year rebuild.
:whatever:

This team has seemingly been through a rebuild since 96...enough of that crap. But we have all this young talent they said...bah ..we have found out all our young talent isn't as good as everyone elses and were behind again. Im tired and getting older, just get an owner with some real money and spend the hell out if it. Buy a damn team at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad