2018-2019 Regular Season Thread II

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Ghost is isn’t at all the problem on the PP.

In fact he and Giroux are the only two who should be a lock for the top unit.

ghost is not normally the problem. But i would say his decision making this year has not been great. He is still the best pp qb at saving pucks at the blue line in the league. And is such a threat with that slapper.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
On top of that I would love to see the Flyers finally acquire a shoot-first only player and someone who can actually hit the net and score some goals I would love to see a bona fide goal scorer on the team

A pure sniper. No pigeons. Or PP around the net goal scorer..

I want a shooter.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
Ghost is isn’t at all the problem on the PP.

In fact he and Giroux are the only two who should be a lock for the top unit.

Giroux yes, but Ghost has been terrible. can't hit the net to save his life. Sanheim has been generating a lot of scoring chances lately. gotta take advantage of that. for all we know he could be a better PP QB than Ghost. lets give him the chance to see what he can do. the season is shot anyway. i want to see what these kids are capable of.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
little problem when you shoot and miss everytime

Giroux yes, but Ghost has been terrible. can't hit the net to save his life. Sanheim has been generating a lot of scoring chances lately. gotta take advantage of that. for all we know he could be a better PP QB than Ghost. lets give him the chance to see what he can do. the season is shot anyway. i want to see what these kids are capable of.

This "never hits the net" meme is an extreme exaggeration (just like "Jake never shoots") and also ignoring that most of the time he's shooting around at least one defensemen and for a deflection.

The top unit doesn't need Sanheims creative PP skills, it needs someone for Giroux to set up and Ghost is still easily the best possible option, even if he isn't playing like himself. Sanheim absolutlely needs to be on the PP, but not the top unit.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
This "never hits the net" meme is an extreme exaggeration (just like "Jake never shoots") and also ignoring that most of the time he's shooting around at least one defensemen and for a deflection.

The top unit doesn't need Sanheims creative PP skills, it needs someone for Giroux to set up and Ghost is still easily the best possible option, even if he isn't playing like himself. Sanheim absolutlely needs to be on the PP, but not the top unit.

The PP is ranked 30th. Something has to change. At this point why not shake it up? I don’t see the harm in giving Sanheim a handful of games to see if he can give the PP some life. It can’t get any worse. Worse case scenario it pisses Ghost off and he starts to play better.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
Hakstol is so ****ing stupid that the more Provy struggles, the more ice time he is giving him, when he should be rolling his TOI back to what it was last season and increasing Sanheims. Bad coach. Bad person.

Yeah Provy looks gassed. He needs a lighter load but our coach is clueless.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The PP is ranked 30th. Something has to change. At this point why not shake it up? I don’t see the harm in giving Sanheim a handful of games to see if he can give the PP some life. It can’t get any worse. Worse case scenario it pisses Ghost off and he starts to play better.
For the same reason you wouldn’t shake it up by removing Giroux.

If you’re going to make changes then change out whoever you think is the biggest issue with someone you think would be an upgrade. We don’t have anyone better than Ghost so removing him isn’t going to help improve the unit. He’s 2nd in PP points after G, so he’s the wrong one to shake up.

I’m not against making changes and the one time the PP actually worked this year was when Patrick and TK replaces Simmonds and Voracek. Maybe it was a coincidence, but the stupid thing was Hak didn’t even give us a chance to find out. They scored multiple goals in a game and then the next game they didn’t score on one PP and he changed it back.

Last edited:

flyers0909

Nothing Matters
Jul 10, 2007
Speaking of the Stadium Series, current on-ice product aside, do people that have gone before find it worth it? Thinking about snagging a pair of tickets as a Christmas present for my dad but I fear it'll just be a bad experience if it's super cold and tough to see from the seats of an NFL stadium.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
For the same reason you wouldn’t shake it up by removing Giroux.

If you’re going to make changes then change out whoever you think is the biggest issue with someone you think would be an upgrade. We don’t have anyone better than Ghost so removing him isn’t going to help improve the unit. He’s 2nd in PP points after G, so he’s the wrong one to shake up.

I’m not against making changes and the one time the PP actually worked this year was when Patrick and TK replaces Simmonds and Voracek. Maybe it was a coincidence, but the stupid thing was Hak didn’t even give us a chance to find out because they scored multiple goals in a game and then the next game they didn’t score on one PP and he changed it back.

Hakstol is only quick to reverse a good idea. His bad ideas linger on for eons.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tripod

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Not sure if this has been posted...

TB7RZv7Cb-gQZJPWSPqk2Hroj3QSUykVsPM2_StO3SY.jpg

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Speaking of the Stadium Series, current on-ice product aside, do people that have gone before find it worth it? Thinking about snagging a pair of tickets as a Christmas present for my dad but I fear it'll just be a bad experience if it's super cold and tough to see from the seats of an NFL stadium.
We went to the Winter Classic at CBP, Also went to the one at Fenway. Baseball stadiums are not great venues for an outdoor game...although it will be interesting to see it at the Linc.

If someone gifts me tickets, i'd absolutely go...however i can't justify spending the money to go watch this shit show of a team indoors or outdoors.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Have to think when they miss the playoffs again a major shakeup will be coming. Voracek will more than likely be the guy going. We don’t have much of anything else besides the young kids to move.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

It's not worth listening to the whole thing, but one thing that stuck out was a segment that started at 4:23. I'll summarize it quickly. The quotes are not word for word, but the spirit was kept intact.

JJ: What's the identity you want the Flyers to have?

CF: You look at the most successful teams in the league now and most of them are fast, tenacious teams. The game has evolved a little bit from a physical standpoint -- you still see physicality, but oftentimes physicality comes through speed and puck pressure. For example, a team like Tampa may not be the heaviest hitting team in the league, but they are very physical in a sense where they pressure you all over the ice. They don't give you any time to skate. They're going forward and attacking all the time. They force you to make decisions under duress all the time. That's the way the game is going. You need players that think fast and want to take time and space away. We obviously want as many skill players as we can get.

That's an excellent answer.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

It's not worth listening to the whole thing, but one thing that stuck out was a segment that started at 4:23. I'll summarize it quickly. The quotes are not word for word, but the spirit was kept intact.

CF: You look at the most successful teams in the league now and most of them are fast, tenacious teams. The game has evolved a little bit from a physical standpoint -- you still see physicality, but oftentimes physicality comes through speed and puck pressure. For example, a team like Tampa may not be the heaviest hitting team in the league, but they are very physical in a sense where they pressure you all over the ice. They don't give you any time to skate. They're going forward and attacking all the time. They force you to make decisions under duress all the time. That's the way the game is going. You need players that think fast and want to take time and space away. We obviously want as many skill players as we can get.

giphy.gif

Ron Hextall (paraphrased): "There are more ways to win than like the Penguins with fast attack hockey. Look at Los Angeles. It's about heaviness, thickness, girth, solidity, bulk, mass, tonnage, heft, density, and above all: gettin gritty wit it na na na na na na na nana."

I didn't watch yet, but did Jim Jackson's heart visually skip a beat?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

He has a vision to pursue, and a solid one. Good. The hard part is getting there, and figuring out how to fix it when players you think fit end up not fitting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad