2018-2019 Regular Season Thread II

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
They get 7 pretty good pieces all at low salaries for the next 5 years. I think they do it.

Really?

Morgan Frost is definitely in high demand.

But the other pieces are far less attractive from a GM's perspective:

Myers has a high ceiling but he is undrafted, looking inconsistent in the AHL and has yet to play an NHL game.
Aube-Kubel has been close to being called a bust until last season when he was coached into a bottom-6 replacement level role.
Lindblom and Vorobyev are later round draft picks who have certainly come along fine but teams will refer to their pre-draft scouting report cards that will identify some major risks.

As Flyers fans we automatically tend to overrate our prospects because they have grown on us over time and we want them to succeed badly.
... and AMAc as a throw-in? That easily cancels out one or two of the other pieces for negative value.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Really?

Morgan Frost is definitely in high demand.

But the other pieces are far less attractive from a GM's perspective:

Myers has a high ceiling but he is undrafted, looking inconsistent in the AHL and has yet to play an NHL game.
Aube-Kubel has been close to being called a bust until last season when he was coached into a bottom-6 replacement level role.

Who were the morons calling a 2nd round pick a bust after a single AHL season of mainly 4th line usage?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Too many pieces. St Louis would send each one off individually in this hypothetical.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
If Drew Doughty is truly available....
source.gif

...but him

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Still want no parts of Pietrangelo at fair cost. His rep and on ice play have never even passed each other in a hallway. He's like Gudas in only that regard.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
You don’t see 9 player + 2 draft pick trades every day. That’s more moving parts than the Lindros & Gretzky trades.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
10 games left in 2018 and I think the Flyers would be only be favored against Detroit at home. 3-5-2 sounds about right.

at Cgy
at Edm
at Van
Det
Nsh
CBJ
at NYR
at TB
at Fla
at Car

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
This may have been covered someplace else but the Flyers have 7D on the roster: Ghost, Provorov, Gudas, Sanheim, Hagg, Folin and Mcdonald. Of all the possible combinations you could come up with Ghost and Sanheim seem like it should be one of the last you try.

They haven't been bad together but why put your 2 best offensive D, Prov is right up there, on one pair?? Help me out, anybody have a good reason?

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
This may have been covered someplace else but the Flyers have 7D on the roster: Ghost, Provorov, Gudas, Sanheim, Hagg, Folin and Mcdonald. Of all the possible combinations you could come up with Ghost and Sanheim seem like it should be one of the last you try.

They haven't been bad together but why put your 2 best offensive D, Prov is right up there, on one pair?? Help me out, anybody have a good reason?

Bro it's 2018 you're allowed to play two skilled defensemen together. They're 2 of the team's top 4 d-men and they play different sides, it works.

Reactions: Asnito

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
Bro it's 2018 you're allowed to play two skilled defensemen together. They're 2 of the team's top 4 d-men and they play different sides, it works.
The problem is they only have 3 skilled defenseman

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I love it. Play them with your top 6. Give them a bunch of OZ starts. Let them build some chemistry and go to work. Those two consistently make everyone they play with better. I have no doubt they would be a great pair in time.

Now if we can get MacDonald off of the top pair...

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Yes I'm sure Hextall did it completely independent of Hak. Being the 14th forward had nothing to do with it.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Does a GM not look at player usage, especially given his sample size of someone like Sanheim being amazing, and not ponder things? Not begin to make forceful suggestions?

No sane, unbiased person looks at his ice time and performance and is confident with the process. Man, I sound desperate. And I am.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Man... I just wish Sanheim would show something.

He's been severely overrated by people on here just like all our garbage prospects have been.

I mean, constantly creating chances and 3 goals in 3 games while getting horrible usage? That's nothing special. Why use him when you have elite shutdown defensemen like Hagg and Mac. You don't need great puck moving if you don't even care about moving the puck, I guess. The obese shell is a smarter tactic, especially when you look at it's wildly successful track record.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
I don't normally get too involved in speculation but with rumors swirling that blues are open and la is open business. For fun of it and value (not that terrible trade above), what would it cost for Vlad and Petro from STL and doughty from LA. Not acquiring all 3 but 2 separate options.

Would ghost and simmonds plus land a trade around doughty?

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
I don't normally get too involved in speculation but with rumors swirling that blues are open and la is open business. For fun of it and value (not that terrible trade above), what would it cost for Vlad and Petro from STL and doughty from LA. Not acquiring all 3 but 2 separate options.

Would ghost and simmonds plus land a trade around doughty?

Simmonds has no value in LA - if we trade him and get futures, that would play, but sending Simmonds and telling them to trade him (i.e., take on the risk) aint gonna fly.

Reactions: Philly Phish

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad