2018-2019 Regular Season Thread II

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
The PP is ranked 30th. Something has to change. At this point why not shake it up? I don’t see the harm in giving Sanheim a handful of games to see if he can give the PP some life. It can’t get any worse. Worse case scenario it pisses Ghost off and he starts to play better.

Well, since we can't fire the coach, how about a couple of simple things:
- Simmonds needs to move off PP1. NP is being misused on PP2. Swap them.
- As noted before, Provorov needs to simplify his game, get his head straight, and play fewer minutes. Replace him with Sanheim.
- Move Laughton into Jakes spot on PP1, just for shits and giggles. Force teams to respect the cross-ice pass, see what the wrister can do to open things up.
- Jake to PP2, and run it from the other wall.
- Since Myers wont be brought up, and our other dmen have the offensive instincts of a book shelf, keep JVR on the first, move Couts to the 2nd to get some defensive help (since only 1 defender to be used).

PP1: Ghost, G, JVR, NP, Jake, Laughton
PP2: Sanheim, Jake, TK, Simmer, Couts

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Every team wants as many skill players as they can get, they're in limited supply.
The key is the type of less skilled players you add to fill out your roster.

I think what he's implying is you need more speed, and players who will be physical on the forecheck, TK is a great example, and not so much size anymore. That being said, I don't see a drastic shift from Hextall.

Fletcher might be more willing to take a chance on a highly skilled smurf, but I doubt we become TB north. Maybe Vegas east with more skill.
Rather, a gradual shift away from Lehtera, Weise, Simmons and toward players like Raffl, Laughton, NAK.
A top six that's highly skilled and a bottom six that can skate and forecheck and backcheck over 200 feet.

Same on defense, Hagg and Gudas may become available in trade, but doesn't mean we'd add another Ghost. He had a smurf D-man in Minn, but not a whole crew of them.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It does make you wonder if Fletcher would want Q, or a younger, more modern coach like Keefe.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
We went to the Winter Classic at CBP, Also went to the one at Fenway. Baseball stadiums are not great venues for an outdoor game...although it will be interesting to see it at the Linc.

If someone gifts me tickets, i'd absolutely go...however i can't justify spending the money to go watch this **** show of a team indoors or outdoors.

At the same game, in the left field bleachers. IT was a great experience, glad I got to go. But, I would NOT do it again. Cold, miserable, and terrible sight lines - just too far away.

And that was when the on-ice product didn't blow goat.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Every team wants as many skill players as they can get, they're in limited supply.
The key is the type of less skilled players you add to fill out your roster.

I think what he's implying is you need more speed, and players who will be physical on the forecheck, TK is a great example, and not so much size anymore. That being said, I don't see a drastic shift from Hextall.

Fletcher might be more willing to take a chance on a highly skilled smurf, but I doubt we become TB north. Maybe Vegas east with more skill.
Rather, a gradual shift away from Lehtera, Weise, Simmons and toward players like Raffl, Laughton, NAK.
A top six that's highly skilled and a bottom six that can skate and forecheck and backcheck over 200 feet.

Same on defense, Hagg and Gudas may become available in trade, but doesn't mean we'd add another Ghost. He had a smurf D-man in Minn, but not a whole crew of them.

Yep. I wasn't taking the Tampa part as a hard blueprint. The outside examples aren't really going to be instructive of much other than generalities. It's the philosophical tenets that I cared about.

I do feel that it's worth adding that the second name out of his mouth after Giroux was Konecny. That was interesting to me.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Watching jets pp other than their second unit not once they set up shot from the blue line and instead all three of wheeler, laine and scheifele were the ones shooting. Maybe we could do something like that instead of setting up ghost with slappers.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Watching jets pp other than their second unit not once they set up shot from the blue line and instead all three of wheeler, laine and scheifele were the ones shooting. Maybe we could do something like that instead of setting up ghost with slappers.

Not only that, but they need to put Ghost in motion when he doesn't have the puck. There are creative ways to set up one-timers with players in motion that can be very effective.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Not only that, but they need to put Ghost in motion when he doesn't have the puck. There are creative ways to set up one-timers with players in motion that can be very effective.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Yeah, this grates me: Ghost has been too stationary.
Ghost was such a fun player with wonderful instincts when he first came in (after being sent down to minors in favor of studs like Gnone, Schultz, manbearpig or fat schenn) and it's all gone. They literally took one of the most dynamic talents on d and coached gamebreaking talent out of him. I can only imagine him being giddy when they brought him to video room and he saw karlsson on the screen. Followed by - Now pay attention to marc methot.:shakehead

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yep. I wasn't taking the Tampa part as a hard blueprint. The outside examples aren't really going to be instructive of much other than generalities. It's the philosophical tenets that I cared about.

I do feel that it's worth adding that the second name out of his mouth after Giroux was Konecny. That was interesting to me.

To me, TK is the prototype of a Flyers team I'd like to watch, speed, skill but also feisty and physical.
Not a slug, not a figure skater, and worked hard to develop a two way game instead of just gliding by with his scoring.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004

We have Jake in Laines spot and Couts in Schiefs spot.

That is apples and oranges in shots.

But I agree , a shooter in Jakes spot would be close to h stoppable with G, pks would be forced to give G more time and space.

Reactions: klutch

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Ghost was such a fun player with wonderful instincts when he first came in (after being sent down to minors in favor of studs like Gnone, Schultz, manbearpig or fat schenn) and it's all gone. They literally took one of the most dynamic talents on d and coached gamebreaking talent out of him. I can only imagine him being giddy when they brought him to video room and he saw karlsson on the screen. Followed by - Now pay attention to marc methot.:shakehead

I think it has nothing to do with coaching, but is physical.
When Ghost came up, he was an explosive player, good straight line speed but exceptional burst and agility.
The hip surgery seems to have cost him some of that burst.
And players don't fear him as much (he used to leave jock straps all over the ice) so they pressure him more.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I think it has nothing to do with coaching, but is physical.
When Ghost came up, he was an explosive player, good straight line speed but exceptional burst and agility.
The hip surgery seems to have cost him some of that burst.
And players don't fear him as much (he used to leave jock straps all over the ice) so they pressure him more.

No, he's become far more stationary lately. He's cutting into the slot for setups far less than he did even after the injury.

Either he is hurt again, or he's being coached to be less aggressive.

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I doubt he's coached any different this season than last season (at least until Wilson arrived).
Last year he compensated for his loss of burst by becoming a more complete player, more focused on his defensive responsibilities and scoring more by anticipating his teammates than by trying to do it all himself.

Not sure what happened to him this season, but my suspicion is the Pens gave the league the blueprint, harass him early and often.
I think Ghost will respond, he'll have to get quicker in his decision making as his windows get smaller, but he's a good enough passer to find options, and the forwards may have to help out instead of just assuming he'll skate the puck up ice or get it on the net from the point.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Myers, Frost, Lindblom, NAK, Vorobyev, a 1st (protected) and a 2nd, MacDonald for Pietrangelo, Parayko, Tarasenko.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Myers, Frost, Lindblom, NAK, Vorobyev, a 1st (protected) and a 2nd, MacDonald for Pietrangelo, Parayko, Tarasenko.

giphy.gif

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Giroux-Couturier-Tarasenko
JVR-Patrick-Konecny
Raffl-Weal-Voracek
Weise-Laughton-Simmonds

Provorov-Pietrangelo
Ghost-Parayko
Sanheim-Gudas

Ad