Prospect Info: 2018-2019 Prospect Stats, Reports and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think that's a bit over-dramatic.

Four games ago he was out-scoring last season's pace.
An offensive defensemen who is weak defensively should be putting up better numbers in his draft +1 year than his draft year.

The rest of the offensive guys drafted after him are.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
An offensive defensemen who is weak defensively should be putting up better numbers in his draft +1 year than his draft year.

The rest of the offensive guys drafted after him are.

Bouchard's draft year wasn't a usual draft year. He was playing 30-35+ minutes carrying the team.

The Knights are a vastly different team this year.

Reactions: A91

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Bouchard's draft year wasn't a usual draft year. He was playing 30-35+ minutes carrying the team.

The Knights are a vastly different team this year.
That's my point. We drafted him as an elite offensive defensemen. And it looks like he can only put up those points because of the heavy minutes. A slightly ppg defender who is rough defensively and weak skater is not a good thing. Caleb Jones and Ethan Bear were having better draft +1 seasons. A little lesser offensively but better defensively. That's not a great sign

Reactions: Heavy Dee

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
That's my point. We drafted him as an elite offensive defensemen. And it looks like he can only put up those points because of the heavy minutes. A slightly ppg defender who is rough defensively and weak skater is not a good thing. Caleb Jones and Ethan Bear were having better draft +1 seasons. A little lesser offensively but better defensively. That's not a great sign

You're talking like he's scoring at 0.5 points-per-game this season.

His pace four games ago would be 9th highest for U20 defensemen in the OHL in the last 20 years.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
You're talking like he's scoring at 0.5 points-per-game this season.

His pace four games ago would be 9th highest for U20 defensemen in the OHL in the last 20 years.
Which is still lower than last year.

It's looking like the only reason he has such high points was due to the minutes he was playing which was crazy high.

He has taken a step back offensively. Has his defense improved enough to compensate. I am still hearing effort and pace issues. I've watched a couple games and he still tends to look lost in the defensive zone.

I want this guy to succeed but he isn't having a great draft +1.

Ty Smith, Dobson (after the trade) and Merkley are outperforming him.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Which is still lower than last year.

It's looking like the only reason he has such high points was due to the minutes he was playing which was crazy high.

He has taken a step back offensively. Has his defense improved enough to compensate. I am still hearing effort and pace issues. I've watched a couple games and he still tends to look lost in the defensive zone.

I want this guy to succeed but he isn't having a great draft +1.

Ty Smith, Dobson (after the trade) and Merkley are outperforming him.

You're just disingenuously making it black and white and ignoring any context.

He was playing close to 40 minutes a night and jumping up into every rush out of necessity. That team had no talent. Not one point-per-game forward after the trade deadline.

He's now playing about half those minutes because the team is vastly better around him. They've got two other right-handed D just as good as he is and a much more talented forward group. He's been better defensively and, like I said, he was outscoring last year's pace very recently.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
You're just disingenuously making it black and white and ignoring any context.

He was playing close to 40 minutes a night and jumping up into every rush out of necessity. That team had no talent. Not one point-per-game forward after the trade deadline.

He's now playing about half those minutes because the team is vastly better around him. They've got two other right-handed D just as good as he is and a much more talented forward group. He's been better defensively and, like I said, he was outscoring last year's pace very recently.
On pace for one more point while playing with a drastically improved roster. That's not an improvement in his game.

So his offensive game is worse when you compare his quality of teammates to last year. And I haven't heard or seen anything that his defensive game has impeoved.
So yeah, you take out his slump and he is equal offensive numbers last year when he should be higher with a much improved team.

So to me that shows zero improvement from last year. Skating is still as bad.l, and his defensive game from what I seen and heard is identical to last year.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
On pace for one more point while playing with a drastically improved roster. That's not an improvement in his game.

So his offensive game is worse when you compare his quality of teammates to last year. And I haven't heard or seen anything that his defensive game has impeoved.
So yeah, you take out his slump and he is equal offensive numbers last year when he should be higher with a much improved team.

So to me that shows zero improvement from last year. Skating is still as bad.l, and his defensive game from what I seen and heard is identical to last year.
You gotta look at this in another context. Use Erik Karlsson spliting minutes with Burns for example. Less minutes, less usage equals less points.

29 points in 26 games is still pretty good

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Jeez Louise. I feel like I'm arguing with a politician.

Nothing but assumptions and false equivalencies in that post.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Jeez Louise. I feel like I'm arguing with a politician.

Nothing but assumptions and false equivalencies in that post.
Where am I wrong.

A) Much better team this year
B) Offensive production is equal to worse than last year
C) Defensive game doesn't look improved
D) Skating hasn't improved either
E) He should have had more improvement this year

Which one of those statements is inaccurate. And if they are, how are they inaccurate. If you are going to call me wrong, tell me how.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
You gotta look at this in another context. Use Erik Karlsson spliting minutes with Burns for example. Less minutes, less usage equals less points.

29 points in 26 games is still pretty good
Burns has 58 points in 54 games (88 points pace, highest in career)
Erik Karlsson 43 in 47 games, 75 point pace, career average.

Now these are NHL players who are getting older.

Prospects should be showing improvement.

I get your example but the guys you chose didn't really help your point lol.

Especially in this situation where Bouchard is the Burns and Boqvist is the Karlsson

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Where am I wrong.

A) Much better team this year
B) Offensive production is equal to worse than last year
C) Defensive game doesn't look improved
D) Skating hasn't improved either
E) He should have had more improvement this year

Which one of those statements is inaccurate. And if they are, how are they inaccurate. If you are going to call me wrong, tell me how.

A) Playing on a better team doesn't automatically mean his production should be better.
B) It is, but there's important context you're ignoring.
C) Most Knights fans I've talked to said he's clearly focusing on it and has improved.
D) Assumption.
E) Assumption.

Like I said, you're trying to make this so black and white. You're basically arguing the broad concept of a defenseman in his D+1 year rather than the specific case of Bouchard. Makes for a pretty boring discussion.

Reactions: Stud Muffin

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
A) Playing on a better team doesn't automatically mean his production should be better.
C) Most Knights fans I've talked to said he's clearly focusing on it and has improved.
D) Assumption.
E) Assumption.

Like I said, you're trying to make this so black and white. You're basically arguing the broad concept of a defenseman in his D+1 year rather than the specific case of Bouchard. Makes for a pretty boring discussion.

I'm convinced this place is already ready to trade the guy for a second.

I've never seen a team so desperate for an offensive dman, absolutely hate our best chance at developing one before he even starts his career.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
D) Assumption.
E) Assumption.

Okay then let's be specific to Bouchard. Better team and he doesn't seem to look much different than last year in a lot of ways. Had a bit chance in the World Juniors, the entire defense was underwhelming but Bouchard was imho the worst of the bunch. Offensive game was nonexistent outside the first game and was routinely walked. It is a small torunament but it adds to the rest.

Not saying he is a bust, or will bust. But this isn't a good year for Bouchard and his progress isn't what you want to see. Especially cause Bouchard is on the old side for his draft year too.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'm convinced this place is already ready to trade the guy for a second.

I've never seen a team so desperate for an offensive dman, absolutely hate our best chance at developing one before he even starts his career.
Because if he doesn't improve his all around game, he will be another Polak type guy?

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Okay then let's be specific to Bouchard. Better team and he doesn't seem to look much different than last year in a lot of ways. Had a bit chance in the World Juniors, the entire defense was underwhelming but Bouchard was imho the worst of the bunch. Offensive game was nonexistent outside the first game and was routinely walked. It is a small torunament but it adds to the rest.

Not saying he is a bust, or will bust. But this isn't a good year for Bouchard and his progress isn't what you want to see. Especially cause Bouchard is on the old side for his draft year too.
they basically added a player equivalent with a higher draft pedigree to their line-up that is taking away some of his minutes

how is his production supposed to improve?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Sounds like your basing your entire opinion of his year off the WJC and a couple of OHL games.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Burns has 58 points in 54 games (88 points pace, highest in career)
Erik Karlsson 43 in 47 games, 75 point pace, career average.

Now these are NHL players who are getting older.

Prospects should be showing improvement.

I get your example but the guys you chose didn't really help your point lol.

Especially in this situation where Bouchard is the Burns and Boqvist is the Karlsson
Bouchard is Karlsson and Boqvist is Burns. I understand Karlsson is new to the team but he's the bigger point producer and has always played more minutes throughout their careers. Karlsson points dip as his usages dip. No surprise

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Bouchard is Karlsson and Boqvist is Burns. I understand Karlsson is new to the team but he's the bigger point producer and always played more minutes throughout their careers. Karlsson points dip as his usages dip. No surprise
Karlsson is also new to the team and took a while to adjust is why I used to comparison.

Burns and Karlsson share time now, Burns points went up, Karlsson, even with the adjustment period is on pace for the same as last year. It was a bad comparison.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Karlsson is also new to the team and took a while to adjust is why I used to comparison.

Burns and Karlsson share time now, Burns points went up, Karlsson, even with the adjustment period is on pace for the same as last year. It was a bad comparison.
So players are allowed adjustment period and a couple of bad games but not Bouchard?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
So players are allowed adjustment period and a couple of bad games but not Bouchard?
When you play for one team for the past...how long? Yeah when you get traded there is a bit of an adjustment period when you first get there.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
And comments from people in London i know?

What are you basing your opinions on?

I've watched about half his games this season. Dozen or so last year. Know a few Knights STHs and have a friend who works for them.

Considering the context you're missing in regards to Bouchard, I don't think you've watched nearly enough games or talked to the right people.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I've watched about half his games this season. Dozen or so last year. Know a few Knights STHs and have a friend who works for them.

Considering the context you're missing in regards to Bouchard, I don't think you've watched nearly enough games or talked to the right people.
How am I ignoring context. Yes he has other defenders there and his team is improved. I don't see an improvement in his game.

Like what's improved in his game defensively. From what I see he still looks lost and low effort in the defensive zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad