Prospect Info: 2018-2019 Prospect Stats, Reports and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I feel like they did that with the Bouchard draft. Lots of questions about his game but his offensive numbers were historic. Dobson would of been the normal Oilers choice imo

I think that's more so because they had less picks to screw up haha. Bouchard and Rodrigue fit the bill of really good junior hockey players despite not ideal physical traits, so they took the right step there, IMO.

The 2016 draft is just an eye sore. Bunch of big, great skating terrible hockey players or low skill terrible junior players. The only guys that look like they have a chance at NHL games outside Pulju are the two guys(Benson and Berglund) who weren't physical specimens, but just good hockey players.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think that's more so because they had less picks to screw up haha. Bouchard and Rodrigue fit the bill of really good junior hockey players despite not ideal physical traits, so they took the right step there, IMO.

The 2016 draft is just an eye sore. Bunch of big, great skating terrible hockey players or low skill terrible junior players. The only guys that look like they have a chance at NHL games outside Pulju are the two guys(Benson and Berglund) who weren't physical specimens, but just good hockey players.
The 2017 draft when Gretzky took over looks incredible by comparison. All the guys have taken steps forward except maybe Yama*

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Same with yam, obviously not historic, but had great numbers for a 22nd pick.

Two choices a ton of people on this board have quickly grown to hate.

The thing with Yam is even with great production, the player at least needs to be an average athlete.

Taking a guy with his size who isn't really even an above average straight line skater by NHL standards is just as needlessly risky as taking a great athlete who hasn't put it all together.

I posted this in another thread too, but he's also part of one of the worst groups of prospects in regards to having NHL success. WHL forwards with Sept15-Dec31 birthdays(meaning they have an extra year of development prior to the draft).

Sam Reinhart is the highest scoring guy from that group at 48th in the league. Colton Sissons is the next best at 203rd.

Last edited:
Reactions: CycloneSweep

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Yams so far hasn't really developed much since the draft which is a shame but isn't a bust..yet

He's only played 30 ish pro games though. He didn't have a ton of developing left to do in junior. His issue is speed and size, which he needs to work on in the pro leagues.

Yam to me is a prospect who would be in the AHL all of next year, and be ready to fight for a spot the following season.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions

I dunno, the last 4 picks in 2016 are still interesting prospects imo.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
He's only played 30 ish pro games though. He didn't have a ton of developing left to do in junior. His issue is speed and size, which he needs to work on in the pro leagues.

Yam to me is a prospect who would be in the AHL all of next year, and be ready to fight for a spot the following season.
To me he seems like the next Lander. Will be too good for the AHL soon but not able to put anything together in the NHL. Will probably be a force in the KHL for sure.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
The thing with Yam is even with great production, the player at least needs to be an average athlete.

Taking a guy with his size who isn't really even an above average straight line skater by NHL standards is just as needlessly risky as taking a great athlete who hasn't put it all together.

I posted this in another thread too, but he's also part of one of the worst groups of prospects in regards to having NHL success. WHL forwards with Sept15-Dec31 birthdays(meaning they have an extra year of development prior to the draft).

Sam Reinhart is the highest scoring guy from that group at 48th in the league. Colton Sissons is the next best at 203rd.

There's more to an athlete in hockey than skating. Yam has other aspects of his game that are much harder to teach, like hockey IQ.

It's yet to be seen if he can overcome his physical shortcomings, but calling him a bust after 30 pro games, when it was well established from the start that he was a long term project is crazy.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
To me he seems like the next Lander. Will be too good for the AHL soon but not able to put anything together in the NHL. Will probably be a force in the KHL for sure.

It way too early to tell that. Lander played in a pro League prior to being drafted, then had 2 full years of NA pro hockey before he even looked good in the AHL, so I'm not sure how you can compare him to yam in any sense.

In fact I'd guess that if yam ever does dominate the AHL, it will translate well into the NHL because his biggest limitation is his stature, and if he can overcome that issue against grown men in the AHL, it's a good sign he can do the same in the NHL.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It way too early to tell that. Lander played in a pro League prior to being drafted, then had 2 full years of NA pro hockey before he even looked good in the AHL, so I'm not sure how you can compare him to yam in any sense.

In fact I'd guess that if yam ever does dominate the AHL, it will translate well into the NHL because his biggest limitation is his stature, and if he can overcome that issue against grown men in the AHL, it's a good sign he can do the same in the NHL.
His size and skating are issues. He can adapt to the AHL size and make it work but his speed has to be much better to move it to the NHL

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
There's more to an athlete in hockey than skating. Yam has other aspects of his game that are much harder to teach, like hockey IQ.

It's yet to be seen if he can overcome his physical shortcomings, but calling him a bust after 30 pro games, when it was well established from the start that he was a long term project is crazy.

Hockey IQ only goes so far when you're that physically limited. Like I said, take the good hockey player over the athlete, but that hockey player needs to at least have average physical traits.

And I'm not saying he's a bust. I'm just saying that it's a needlessly risky pick and that those risky, long term project picks are one of the big reasons why the Oilers have been absolutely terrible at drafting.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Hockey IQ only goes so far when you're that physically limited. Like I said, take the good hockey player over the athlete, but that hockey player needs to at least have average physical traits.

And I'm not saying he's a bust. I'm just saying that it's a needlessly risky pick and that those risky, long term project picks are one of the big reasons why the Oilers have been absolutely terrible at drafting.

Who should they have picked then?

A quick look at picks 23-31 show me nothing of value, a bunch of guys who I'm sure the board's are in love with because they're still dominating junior leagues, or guys who've turned pro and done nothing. We're they supposed to pick outside of the first round choices and go off the board? Wouldnt that be needlessly risky?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

A quick look at picks 23-31 show me nothing of value, a bunch of guys who I'm sure the board's are in love with because they're still dominating junior leagues, or guys who've turned pro and done nothing. We're they supposed to pick outside of the first round choices and go off the board? Wouldnt that be needlessly risky?
Jokiharu or Morgan frost would of been better picks imo

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Ratanan and McPhee play together and have a combined what.... 12 points in 24 games? Desharnais is okay and Wells will be a career AHL guy.
McPhee and Rasanen have combined for 12 points in 47 games this season.

At that rate, it'd be a miracle if they even get AHL contracts.

Boston College has been weird this year, they've got one line that has been capable of scoring goals and that's it. Even Oliver Wahlstrom is barely at 0.5PPG. This time last year people were gushing over McPhee especially, I'm not ready to write them off after half a year of struggles. They could still very well end up being solid pros.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Jokiharu or Morgan frost would of been better picks imo

So, two guys who were ranked below yam by pretty much every scouting agency, and most didn't even have frost in the first round.

This is a clear case of hindsight being 2020.

No matter who the pick was at 22nd overall, nobody around there is doing anything more than Yamamoto right now, but for some reason all hope is fading with yam, and everyone else is just fine.

Typical.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Boston College has been weird this year, they've got one line that has been capable of scoring goals and that's it. Even Oliver Wahlstrom is barely at 0.5PPG. This time last year people were gushing over McPhee especially, I'm not ready to write them off after half a year of struggles. They could still very well end up being solid pros.
McPhee maybe. Rasanen is done. Guy was bad last year, even worse this year.

Won't matter. Don't see the team wasting contracts on them when better College free agents show up every year

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Tough to say. I was a big fan of a handful of guys in that range. Vesalainen, Tolvanen, Robertson, Hague, Frost. Obviously we don't know if they'll be better NHLers, but to me, they were guys with a similar skill level, plenty of production and with less physical limitations than Yam.

Draft boards are going to be drastically different at that range of the draft, so I wouldn't really consider it going off the board. Some teams have the luxury to swing for the fences on a player who could be anywhere between a 10 or a 1. If I was drafting for the Oilers, I would have had the guys who are going to be an 8 to a 5 higher on my board since it seems like every 10-1 prospect the Oilers take ends up closer to a 1 than a 10.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
So, two guys who were ranked below yam by pretty much every scouting agency, and most didn't even have frost in the first round.

This is a clear case of hindsight being 2020.

No matter who the pick was at 22nd overall, nobody around there is doing anything more than Yamamoto right now, but for some reason all hope is fading with yam, and everyone else is just fine.

Typical.
Wouldn't say everyone else is just fine. Lots of those guys underperforming. That said a couple guys around him have elevated their games since their draft. Yamamoto was arguably worse last year then the year before and we have noticed a few times that he takes demotions very bad and tends to sulk for a while before he starts playing well again.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Wouldn't say everyone else is just fine. Lots of those guys underperforming. That said a couple guys around him have elevated their games since their draft. Yamamoto was arguably worse last year then the year before and we have noticed a few times that he takes demotions very bad and tends to sulk for a while before he starts playing well again.

Arguably worse how? His ppg improved despite a slow start after taking his demotion hard.

Saying he tends to take demotions bad and sulk is also unfair. He took his demotion to junior hard as far as we can tell based on stats, but he has been fine in the AHL, he just keeps getting injured. There also hasn't been any reports I'm aware of where he's been "sulking".

I just don't understand why youre so set on calling this kid, or any other prospects busts when they've had all of 30 games of pro experience.

It's like if they don't step in immediately and succeed, you start looking for reasons that they'll fail.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Not a slight against KY but you should never draft someone with his size in the 1st round no matter how skilled they are. You draft him 2nd round or later. If he's not there then oh well

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Arguably worse how? His ppg improved despite a slow start after taking his demotion hard.

Saying he tends to take demotions bad and sulk is also unfair. He took his demotion to junior hard as far as we can tell based on stats, but he has been fine in the AHL, he just keeps getting injured. There also hasn't been any reports I'm aware of where he's been "sulking".

I just don't understand why youre so set on calling this kid, or any other prospects busts when they've had all of 30 games of pro experience.

It's like if they don't step in immediately and succeed, you start looking for reasons that they'll fail.
Fine these guys are busts yet. A lot of them, McPhee, Rasanen and Yamamoto are going through bust trajectory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad