Prospect Info: 2018-2019 Prospect Stats, Reports and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
How am I ignoring context. Yes he has other defenders there and his team is improved. I don't see an improvement in his game.

Like what's improved in his game defensively. From what I see he still looks lost and low effort in the defensive zone.

Basically everything. Still has his lapses, but he's standing around less, more engaged physically and I like his gap control a lot more this year.

The system London uses makes him look more passive and low effort than he really is, IMO. Their D are coached to keep players to the outside while a back checking forward applies pressure. They very rarely try to hold the blue line or make plays along the sidewall.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Because if he doesn't improve his all around game, he will be another Polak type guy?
Polak? Like.. 23 points in 65 games in his draft +1 season Polak? You're worried Bouchard only having 29 points in 26 games is a sign of him turning into Polak of all people?

Anyways, development is not linear, and Bouchard is in a completely new situation. He's gone from being the go to for everything to having a supporting cast he can rely on to do some of the heavy lifting. He's proven he's a premier offensive dman in the OHL at this point, his production dropping slightly when he isn't needing to play 30 minutes a night shouldn't worry anyone. He didn't forget how to play hockey. There have also been people saying he's being reeled back to keep him fresh for the playoffs.

You're also basing most of your argument on what you've "heard from people" while arguing he's regressed. Judging how good anyone is defensively in the OHL is hard enough to do in person when you scout the games, you really can't take what a few fans who watch the odd game and call it fact.

Ever since the wjc people have been assuming theyre pro scouts piling on Bouchard like he's a bust already, and I can guarentee that none of these people watch nearly enough of him to be able to form a valid opinion.

Do you think Nashville was ready to write off Ellis after his draft+1 season where he put up 28 less points than the year prior while only playing 9 less games?

I just don't get why people are so determined to put ceilings on these kids.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Basically everything. Still has his lapses, but he's standing around less, more engaged physically and I like his gap control a lot more this year.

The system London uses makes him look more passive and low effort than he really is, IMO. Their D are coached to keep players to the outside while a back checking forward applies pressure. They very rarely try to hold the blue line or make plays along the sidewall.
If they are coached to look passive a s low effort then why does Boqvist constantly look like he is pushing the pace and more mobile defensively? Is it cause he is still adapting to the new team?

Good to hear he is more engaged phywically, I didn't get a chance to see that in the games I saw. How has his skating improved?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Polak? Like.. 23 points in 65 games in his draft +1 season Polak? You're worried Bouchard only having 29 points in 26 games is a sign of him turning into Polak of all people?

Anyways, development is not linear, and Bouchard is in a completely new situation. He's gone from being the go to for everything to having a supporting cast he can rely on to do some of the heavy lifting. He's proven he's a premier offensive dman in the OHL at this point, his production dropping slightly when he isn't needing to play 30 minutes a night shouldn't worry anyone. He didn't forget how to play hockey. There have also been people saying he's being reeled back to keep him fresh for the playoffs.

You're also basing most of your argument on what you've "heard from people" while arguing he's regressed. Judging how good anyone is defensively in the OHL is hard enough to do in person when you scout the games, you really can't take what a few fans who watch the odd game and call it fact.

Ever since the wjc people have been assuming their pro scouts piling on Bouchard like he's a bust already, and I can guarentee that none of these people watch nearly enough of him to be able to form a valid opinion.

Do you think Nashville was ready to write off Ellis after his draft+1 season where he put up 28 less points than the year prior while only playing 9 less games?

I just don't get why people are so determined to put ceilings on these kids.
I was being hyperbolic. Not saying he is a bust but you usually want to see forward movement with prospects.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I was being hyperbolic. Not saying he is a bust but you usually want to see forward movement with prospects.

So why even bring up the ridiculous Polak comparison?
FTR, I have major concerns about his game as well namely the alarming lack of defensive IQ or willingness to defend and slow pace in general but I'm only basing this in a few OHL games, the WJC and his time with the Oilers so maybe others who have seen him.more frequently can give a more accurate assessment.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
On another note, is anybody else concerned about McLeod's lack of production? Thomas who was available for the Oilers and was a bigger need being right handed is blowing his production out of the water. I haven't seen much of either but I hope this isn't another Benson/DeBrincat situation where they passed on a better offensive player.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
On another note, is anybody else concerned about McLeod's lack of production? Thomas who was available for the Oilers and was a bigger need being right handed is blowing his production out if the water. I haven't seen much of either but I hope this isn't another Benson/DeBrincat situation where they passed on a better offensive player.
I was hoping the trade would cause him to ramp up but he has been worse offensively since the trade.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
If they are coached to look passive a s low effort then why does Boqvist constantly look like he is pushing the pace and more mobile defensively? Is it cause he is still adapting to the new team?

Good to hear he is more engaged phywically, I didn't get a chance to see that in the games I saw. How has his skating improved?

Boqvist and the other D are just as passive at the blue line and along the sidewall.

Tough to say for skating. I think it looks better simply because he's keeping his feet moving more and getting caught flat-footed less.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
On another note, is anybody else concerned about McLeod's lack of production? Thomas who was available for the Oilers and was a bigger need being right handed is blowing his production out of the water. I haven't seen much of either but I hope this isn't another Benson/DeBrincat situation where they passed on a better offensive player.

Yeah, his production has been concerning for sure. Especially for a high 2nd round pick. He's got size and remarkable skating though, and you can go far with those two skills alone (if his offensive production isn't up to par). Could end up being a bottom-6 guy if he's willing to do "work", but this has been the knock against him in memory serves.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Yeah, his production has been concerning for sure. Especially for a high 2nd round pick. He's got size and remarkable skating though, and you can go far with those two skills alone (if his offensive production isn't up to par). Could end up being a bottom-6 guy if he's willing to do "work", but this has been the knock against him in memory serves.
He also has a heck of a shot that doesn't get used enough. I see him as future our #3C who can move up and down the lineup as a complimentary winger.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Another hattie tonight puts him at 48 goals on the season and two points behind Tye Felhaber--who is signing with the Stars--for the league lead.

They should sign this guy.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Justin Brazeau, it turns out, who is 21 but 6'6" and 230 lbs. At that size relative to peers and production relative to age, he's probably an AHL signing you hope can earn an NHL contract.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Justin Brazeau, it turns out, who is 21 but 6'6" and 230 lbs. At that size relative to peers and production relative to age, he's probably an AHL signing you hope can earn an NHL contract.
I think someone takes a chance on him. He's got an NHL level release and has excellent offensive instincts. He's been on the NHL radar for the past several seasons as well, having been to Detroit, Columbus and San Jose's main camps. It wouldn't surprise me if it's ultimately San Jose who does sign him considering their knack for bringing in Battalion alumni.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Love me some Kirill next year on our AHL squad

We'll certainly get an idea as to what type of player he is after his first year in the AHL, that is for sure. His stats don't jump off the page or anything, but he certainly looks like a "goal scorer" from the highlights I've seen. Very nice release, and has the size to play pro as well. Speed seems to be average though, which might hurt him.

Considering his draft spot, where he is as a 19 year old in scoring on his own team, I would temper expectations for next year in the AHL. He reminds me of Martindale as a prospect. Bigger guy, mid round pick, forward playing in the OHL, and finished 3rd on his own team in points in his draft+1 year.

Last edited:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

Not really surprised. His numbers in the OHL have been consistently mediocre. Had he been born a week earlier he would've gone in the 2017 draft and with his 9 goals and 42 points in 68 games he'd probably not have been anywhere close to an early 2nd round pick. He follows that up with a meekly 70 points in 68 games as a 3rd year OHLer. That's not terribly good offensive production for a guy who has been in the league that long, and especially at his size and with his skating abilities.

Funny you mention Akil Thomas, because his rookie year in the O was better than McLeod's sophomore year, and Thomas 2nd year was better than McLeod's 3rd year...

On the plus side, he looks like one of those guys who is more suited to the pro style game. So while he might not have a lot of offense in juniors, there's a possibility he'll have just enough to carve out a career as a bottom-six guy in the NHL. It's a long way there though I think. Will be interesting to see how he transitions to the AHL. I'm guessing he'll need to spend at least 2 years there. But yeah, definitely not a guy that has me excited.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Not really surprised. His numbers in the OHL have been consistently mediocre. Had he been born a week earlier he would've gone in the 2017 draft and with his 9 goals and 42 points in 68 games he'd probably not have been anywhere close to an early 2nd round pick. He follows that up with a meekly 70 points in 68 games as a 3rd year OHLer. That's not terribly good offensive production for a guy who has been in the league that long, and especially at his size and with his skating abilities.

Funny you mention Akil Thomas, because his rookie year in the O was better than McLeod's sophomore year, and Thomas 2nd year was better than McLeod's 3rd year...

On the plus side, he looks like one of those guys who is more suited to the pro style game. So while he might not have a lot of offense in juniors, there's a possibility he'll have just enough to carve out a career as a bottom-six guy in the NHL. It's a long way there though I think. Will be interesting to see how he transitions to the AHL. I'm guessing he'll need to spend at least 2 years there. But yeah, definitely not a guy that has me excited.

Whenever I read posts like this, I am reminded of that test that was run a few years ago on one of the nation sites. They just drafted CHL forwards based solely on the prospects PPG during their draft year. They then compared these results to what actual NHL GMs did, and the "algorithm" beat something like 75% of the actual GM drafting records. It was hilarious and shocking at the same time. The point really boils down to "always draft skill, above all else".

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Whenever I read posts like this, I am reminded of that test that was run a few years ago on one of the nation sites. They just drafted CHL forwards based solely on the prospects PPG during their draft year. They then compared these results to what actual NHL GMs did, and the "algorithm" beat something like 75% of the actual GM drafting records. It was hilarious and shocking at the same time. The point really boils down to "always draft skill, above all else".

Yep, you can honestly be really successful not even watching the games and just going off points. Or if you want to improve your chances slightly, watching a few highlight videos. It's weird how so many GMs and scouts trick themselves into thinking they're smarter and know better because of the eye test and going to the rink. I'd say it's probably only in about 10-15% of cases at most (or maybe even only 5%) where you can find a diamond in the rough who doesn't have the numbers but you can see that there is a player there. Other than that the numbers very often do tell the story. If you have skill it's easier to fix everything around it to round out your game to be an NHLer than if you have all the tools but not enough skill.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

It's been a frustrating trend with this team.

I was listening to the Pro Football Focus podcast the other day. They're heavily focused on metrics and numbers for their NFL coverage. They were doing a draft preview and one of the things they said was if you have a choice between a great athlete with average production or an average athlete with great production, you should always go with the average athlete. Obviously it's not quite the same thing as the NHL draft since you're drafting guys who will immediately hit the field in the NFL, but that's something the Oilers should really start doing.

The Oilers desperately need NHL players. Draft some great junior players who have a good chance to be an NHLer in some capacity. Stop swinging for the fences with these athletes who are struggling in junior.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It's been a frustrating trend with this team.

I was listening to the Pro Football Focus podcast the other day. They're heavily focused on metrics and numbers for their NFL coverage. They were doing a draft preview and one of the things they said was if you have a choice between a great athlete with average production or an average athlete with great production, you should always go with the average athlete. Obviously it's not quite the same thing as the NHL draft since you're drafting guys who will immediately hit the field in the NFL, but that's something the Oilers should really start doing.

The Oilers desperately need NHL players. Draft some great junior players who have a good chance to be an NHLer in some capacity. Stop swinging for the fences with these athletes who are struggling in junior.
I feel like they did that with the Bouchard draft. Lots of questions about his game but his offensive numbers were historic. Dobson would of been the normal Oilers choice imo

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
I feel like they did that with the Bouchard draft. Lots of questions about his game but his offensive numbers were historic. Dobson would of been the normal Oilers choice imo
Same with yam, obviously not historic, but had great numbers for a 22nd pick.

Two choices a ton of people on this board have quickly grown to hate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad