Prospect Info: 2018-2019 Prospect Stats, Reports and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I get to talk to a lot of scouts where I sit at the games. Literally all of them say Maksimov is a top 6 or bust type of prospect. Samorukov also gets very high praise. Amazing in his own end and the offense is starting to show.

What do they say about Bouch and McLeod?

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Because they aren’t teenagers and lighting up the NHL. Most Oiler fans don’t seem to know what prospect development looks like and what’s actually good.

But the reality is that most NHLers that are offensive top-6 guys WERE tearing up juniors as teenagers. What you do as a draft+2 is much less important than what you do in your draft year, or even draft-1 actually. What Maksimov is doing right now means next to nothing. What he does next year as a 20 year old in the AHL means a LOT more.

Benson is at least treading water in the AHL. He's not doing terribly, but isn't doing well enough to expect production in the NHL either. He is however showing enough offence to be in the "Brodziak tier" of prospects. He should be a guy that can play in the bottom 6 and not be an offensive black hole.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
But the reality is that most NHLers that are offensive top-6 guys WERE tearing up juniors as teenagers. What you do as a draft+2 is much less important than what you do in your draft year, or even draft-1 actually. What Maksimov is doing right now means next to nothing. What he does next year as a 20 year old in the AHL means a LOT more.

Benson is at least treading water in the AHL. He's not doing terribly, but isn't doing well enough to expect production in the NHL either. He is however showing enough offence to be in the "Brodziak tier" of prospects. He should be a guy that can play in the bottom 6 and not be an offensive black hole.

You describing Benson as “not doing terribly” in his AHL rookie season really says all anyone here should need to hear from you.

Guess you’re just Jaded, dawg.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

So what they do in the AHL matters much more, but then in the same post, Benson who is leading his team in points is just "staying a float".

At least be consistent

Reactions: nabob

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
You describing Benson as “not doing terribly” in his AHL rookie season really says all anyone here should need to hear from you.

Guess you’re just Jaded, dawg.

He is 16th in rookie scoring by points, and 29th in rookie PPG. He is 102nd in league scoring. However he leads his team in scoring as well. If that isn't the very definition of "not doing terribly", I don't know what is.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
So what they do in the AHL matters much more, but then in the same post, Benson who is leading his team in points is just "staying a float".

At least be consistent

Yeah, your 20 year old season in the AHL means about the same as your draft year in junior. This is a fairly standard, well trodden, yardstick to measure prospects - used by people all over the place. Benson is doing okay, even good, so "staying a float" might be a little hard on him. Something along the lines of "covering the bet" might be a bit more accurate.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
What do they say about Bouch and McLeod?

I haven't had any discussions about McLeod (the players usually comes up if he's there that night). The convo that I had about Bouchard (despite him not playing in Niagara this season) is that he has what you can't teach (his offensive instincts) and he needs to improve on what you can (skating, positioning in his own zone).

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Yeah, your 20 year old season in the AHL means about the same as your draft year in junior. This is a fairly standard, well trodden, yardstick to measure prospects - used by people all over the place. Benson is doing okay, even good, so "staying a float" might be a little hard on him. Something along the lines of "covering the bet" might be a bit more accurate.

I think it's pretty impressive that Benson is leading his team in points since he has only been healthy for a season and a half since his draft year in 2015.

He's only played less than 200 games of junior in 4 years before coming to the AHL.

He still has room to grow, but I think Benson will be exactly what this team is missing in terms of a depth winger who can play anywhere in the lineup including PP and PK.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
We have a 20 year old and two 21 year olds as 3 of out top 4 scorers on the farm team. How long have we asked and wanted that?

From the games I've seen (shocking I know) they've also been usually the better players on the ice (Hebig has disappeared a bit lately though)

But hey, let's stare at a stat sheet instead.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I think it's pretty impressive that Benson is leading his team in points since he has only been healthy for a season and a half since his draft year in 2015.

He's only played less than 200 games of junior in 4 years before coming to the AHL.

He still has room to grow, but I think Benson will be exactly what this team is missing in terms of a depth winger who can play anywhere in the lineup including PP and PK.

Yeah, I like the player quite a bit actually. I think there is a very good chance there is a legit NHL player there.... I just don't see him as a top-6 winger, but a bottom-6 winger. I guess he might eventually be a 2nd line winger, that wouldn't SHOCK me I guess, but I would be a little surprised.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
He is 16th in rookie scoring by points, and 29th in rookie PPG. He is 102nd in league scoring. However he leads his team in scoring as well. If that isn't the very definition of "not doing terribly", I don't know what is.

Yeah Bouchard isn’t doing terribly this season in London either

Reactions: North

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yeah Bouchard isn’t doing terribly this season in London either

Well Bouchard is 23rd in points by a dman (despite playing less than half the games than most), he is first in the entire league in PPG for a dman. Bouchard is the best offensive dman in the entire league, while Benson is the 29th rookie in the AHL. These 2 players are not performing the same in their respective leagues, not even close

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Well Bouchard is 23rd in points by a dman (despite playing less than half the games than most), he is first in the entire league in PPG for a dman. Bouchard is the best offensive dman in the entire league, while Benson is the 29th rookie in the AHL. These 2 players are not performing the same in their respective leagues, not even close

wtf he's tied for 12th in rookie points.

He only has 4 less points than the 4th place guy.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home

Yes, however they're also two different types of player. Besides the obvious that one is a defenseman and one is a forward, Bouchard was drafted for his offense so that's what you expect to see from him whereas Benson was drafted for his all around game and that's what you expect to see from him as well and that hopefully he could elevate his game to the pre-injury level relative to his peers. Bouchard needs to work on his defense, that was in evidence again at the WJC. Benson needs to work on his skating and hopefully get his offensive game to a level where he can contribute regularly at the NHL level.

You would expect Bouchard to have the higher upside and production relative to his position/peers. Benson's production is good considering the type of player he is and the expectations coming into the year. If you were expecting him to produce in the AHL like a guy who's a shoe-in for a top 6 NHL role you were bound to be underwhelmed, or maybe just whelmed, I'm not 100% clear on your level of satisfaction with Benson. You also might be missing the bigger picture of Benson's game if your focus is on how many points he's putting up.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
But I thought how a player performs in junior in their draft +1 or draft +2 seasons don't matter. The 20 year old AHL season matters?

Reactions: nabob

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

So Bouchard isn’t not doing terrible?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I hate to agree with Jaded but what is so special about this group of prospects outside of Bouchard? I'd even argue that Bouchard is a very good but not elite prospect IMO.

There are some guys having pretty good years but I'd say that it's a pretty average pool compared to the rest of the league if not in the bottom half. Until these guys start making some impacts at the pro level, it's hard to get too excited. Benson is having a nice rookie season so that's a positive but I see him as more of a middle 6 winger, that's our best prospect down there currently. The other high scoring forwards in Bako, Marody and Hebig, are longshots to be every day NHLers IMO.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I hate to agree with Jaded but what is so special about this group of prospects outside of Bouchard? I'd even argue that Bouchard is a very good but not elite prospect IMO.

There are some guys having pretty good years but I'd say that it's a pretty average pool compared to the rest of the league if not in the bottom half. Until these guys start making some impacts at the pro level, it's hard to get too excited. Benson is having a nice rookie season so that's a positive but I see him as more of a middle 6 winger, that's our best prospect down there currently. The other high scoring forwards in Bako, Marody and Hebig, are longshots to be every day NHLers IMO.

Yamamoto would be down there as well if he was healthy. If he would have spent the whole season he’d likel be among the league leaders in rookie scoring.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

What you seem to be saying is that any player not picked in the first round is not projecting as a top six player regardless of what they do until they actually make it as a top six player in the NHL.

Maksimov was one of the youngest players in his draft year. He had a slow start on an abysmal Saginaw team but once he was traded to Niagara he took off. He had 19goals in 33 games after the trade including 4 in 4 playoff games where he was very good. I did not see all of his earlier games with Niagara but I did watch several games down the stretch and the 4 playoff games because of Mantha. Maksimov really impressed me so I was thrilled the Oilers got him with a 5th. But it was the following year where he really took a big step in my eyes.

In his draft plus one year he seemed to improve his skating and started to play much more aggressively. 34 goals is a very good season for an 18 year old in the OHL. His numbers in his 2 post draft years are fairly comparable with Jordan Kyrou who I assure you the Blues projected as a possible top 6 player before this year. Kyruo is a better playmaker and a very good stick handler. But if you are looking for a goal scoring winger Maksimov has better numbers in that regard.

No one is pencilling him in as a top 6 winger just yet but to say that he is unknown is way off.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Yamamoto would be down there as well if he was healthy. If he would have spent the whole season he’d likel be among the league leaders in rookie scoring.

He was starting to pick it up before they inexplicably called him up (part of the reason why I don't have a lot of faith in these guys developing) but by and large it's been a pretty rough going for him his first 2 pro seasons albeit in a small sample size.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
He was starting to pick it up before they inexplicably called him up (part of the reason why I don't have a lot of faith in these guys developing) but by and large it's been a pretty rough going for him his first 2 pro seasons albeit in a small sample size.
First two pro seasons? Are we counting the 9 game tryout at the start of the season a pro season now? If so then Bouchard has already played a pro season as well...

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
First two pro seasons? Are we counting the 9 game tryout at the start of the season a pro season now? If so then Bouchard has already played a pro season as well...

Yes but as I said, small sample size.

I'm just pointing out that I see all this excitement about the new crop of prospects which is fine and I'm not telling people to not be excited but we've seen this happen before and I personally see a pretty average group of prospects from top to bottom. Even Bouchard has some really big question marks IMO.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Yes but as I said, small sample size.

I'm just pointing out that I see all this excitement about the new crop of prospects which is fine and I'm not telling people to not be excited but we've seen this happen before and I personally see a pretty average group of prospects from top to bottom. Even Bouchard has some really big question marks IMO.

It doesn’t count as a pro season according to his contract. It’s not a pro season and I think it’s incredibly disingenuous to say it was his first pro season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad