Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
:habs

HABS PROSPECTS WATCH
05/11/2018 - 11/11/2018

EUROPE THIS WEEK
Alexander Romanov (No games played - at CAN/RUS Series)
Jesse Ylönen (No games played - at 4 Nations Tournament)
Jacob Olofsson (No games played - at 4 Nations Tournament)
Season Stats
PLAYERTEAMGPGAPTS
Alexander RomanovCSKA Moscow (KHL)21011
Jesse YlönenPelicans (Liiga)18426
Jacob OlofssonTimra IK (SHL)13246
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

CHL THIS WEEK
Cameron Hillis (2 GP - 0G - 1A - 1 PTS)
Allan McShane (2 GP - 0G - 0A - 0 PTS)
Nick Suzuki (2 GP - 3G - 2A - 5 PTS)
Samuel Houde (3 GP - 0G - 0A - 0 PTS)
Joël Teasdale (2 GP - 0G - 2A - 2 PTS)
Cole Fonstad (1 GP - 0G - 0A - 0 PTS)
Josh Brook (1 GP - 0G - 1A - 1 PTS)
Scott Walford (2 GP - 1G - 1A - 2 PTS)
Season Stats
PLAYER
TEAM
GP
G
A
PTS
Cameron Hillis
Guelph Storm (OHL)
Allan McShane
Oshawa Generals (OHL)
Nick Suzuki
Owen Sound Attack (OHL)
Samuel Houde
Chicoutimi Saguenéens (QMJHL)
Joël Teasdale
Blainville-Boisbriand Armada (QMJHL)
Cole Fonstad
Prince Albert Raiders (WHL)
Josh Brook
Moose Jaw Warriors (WHL)
Scott Walford
Victoria Royals (WHL)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

COLLEGE THIS WEEK
Ryan Poehling (2 GP - 0G - 4A - 4 PTS)
Jack Gorniak (2 GP - 1G - 0A - 1 PTS)
Jordan Harris (2 GP - 0G - 0A - 0 PTS)
Brett Stapley (2 GP - 1G - 2A - 3 PTS)
Nikolas Koberstein (2 GP - 0G - 1A - 1 PTS)
Arvid Henrikson (2 GP - 0G- 0A - 0 PTS)
Cayden Primeau (2 GP - 2W)
Season Stats
PLAYER
TEAM
GP
G
A
PTS
Ryan Poehling
St. Cloud State Univ. (NCAA - NCHC)
Jack Gorniak
Univ. of Wisconsin (NCAA - Big Ten)
Jordan Harris
Northeastern Univ. (NCAA - Hockey East)
Brett Stapley
Denver University (NCAA - NCHC)
Nikolas Koberstein
Univ. of Alaska-Fairbanks (NCAA - WCHC)
Arvid Henrikson
Des Moines Buccaneers (USHL)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

PLAYERTEAMGPRECORDGAASV%
Cayden PrimeauNortheastern Univ. (NCAA - Hockey East)106-3-12.68.909
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Getting a lil scary here lol... getting a lil galchenyuk on sarnia circa 2012 here

I was thinking the exact same thing, only difference being that Galchenyuk did it in D+1 and Suzuki is in his D+2 but still...it's to the point where I'm disappointed when he gets less than 2 points in game.

Dongstoppable

Oct 12, 2017
Good start for Stapely, anyone think we've got something there? Never seen him play, his BCHL numbers aren't amazing but maybe a hidden gem?

Reactions: ginomini

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I was thinking the exact same thing, only difference being that Galchenyuk did it in D+1 and Suzuki is in his D+2 but still...it's to the point where I'm disappointed when he gets less than 2 points in game.

Suzuki's been doing this for three years straight. So he did it in his draft year, his D+1, and now continuing that in his D+2.

Reactions: Redux91

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Suzuki's been doing this for three years straight. So he did it in his draft year, his D+1, and now continuing that in his D+2.

Ya I didn't express myself properly. I just meant that when I'm looking at the scores, just like after we drafted Galchenyuk, I'm disappointed when he gets less than 2 points.

I know he's been doing good since his draft year, but he seems to be bringing it to another level this year which is normally considering he's 19 and growing as a player

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
I’m not so worried about Suzuki as with Chucky. I think we rushed Chucky, which was one issue. The otherside was that he had a bit of ego problems, but from what I’ve heard, Suzuki is well balanced. I think it also helps that we didn’t draft him. I’m hoping that Poehling and Suzuki get at least some time in the AHL, unless they pull a KK in the first 10 games of the season.

canadiensnation

Jun 11, 2011
GTA
Someone watch Ylonen ? How his he doing ? His he a Collberg or a Lehkonen
Neither, he has speed to kill, better vision and skills then both.

Good start for Stapely, anyone think we've got something there? Never seen him play, his BCHL numbers aren't amazing but maybe a hidden gem?
He's got some offensive flair, good playmaking ability but it's still too early to call at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

too early to say, he's off to a great start and I was impressed that he had such a good series against what may be the best team in the NCAA. He's clearly got offensive skills but needs to get stronger and work on his defensive game. He's at a top program so we'll see how it goes.

Someone watch Ylonen ? How his he doing ? His he a Collberg or a Lehkonen

saw him twice this year, 4 games last year and will watch 2 more this week. He does remind me a bit of Kristo, Collberg, he's got that speed and shot, wasn't too impressed with his IQ and defensive game but need to see more. Not saying he'll end up that way, but then again I thought both Kristo and Collberg would be NHLers as Kristo killed it in the NCAA, he had 97 pts in his last 2 years. Collberg is looking better this year, he's got the same amount of points that he had all of last year in less then half the games so maybe he's starting to put it together.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
We need our 2018 picks to start picking up the pace. No one is particularly doing great other than KK. Im thinking along the lines of Fonstad, Houde, McShane, and Hillis (esp him).

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
We need our 2018 picks to start picking up the pace. No one is particularly doing great other than KK. Im thinking along the lines of Fonstad, Houde, McShane, and Hillis (esp him).

McShane missed a bunch of games due to injury. He just returned this week, playing two games. I wouldn't be surprised if he needs a little bit of time before he starts putting up points again. Before he returned these last two games, he was at 8 points in 11 games. Not too bad.

Hillis has picked it up lately. After only putting up 4 points in his first 12 games, he has 8 points in his last 7 games. He did the same last season. He was off to slow start in terms of production before going for more than a PPG pace the final 45 or so games.

Fonstad's production may look decent overall as he has 14 points in 18 games. The issue is that he started off so hot and he's gotten really cold. Prince Albert is the best team in the CHL right now and they score a lot of goals. It's disappointing to see that Fonstad isn't a part of that game in game out.

Same for Houde. He had a real strong October going with 10 points in 11 games. So far in November, he has 2 points in 6 games. He's got skill as he's already had a few highlight reel goals. But like you, I'd like to see more consistency.

As for some of the Euro players from the 2018 class, I think some more context is needed for these players. For example, Romanov being an 18-year old rookie in the KHL and playing for the top team in the league and not looking out of place is a very good thing. Olofsson picked it up since coming back from injury. And Ylönen is slowly finding his way. Both Olofsson and Ylönen played in the second division last year so playing in the top league is even more of an adjustment.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
McShane missed a bunch of games due to injury. He just returned this week, playing two games. I wouldn't be surprised if he needs a little bit of time before he starts putting up points again. Before he returned these last two games, he was at 8 points in 11 games. Not too bad.

Hillis has picked it up lately. After only putting up 4 points in his first 12 games, he has 8 points in his last 7 games. He did the same last season. He was off to slow start in terms of production before going for more than a PPG pace the final 45 or so games.

Fonstad's production may look decent overall as he has 14 points in 18 games. The issue is that he started off so hot and he's gotten really cold. Prince Albert is the best team in the CHL right now and they score a lot of goals. It's disappointing to see that Fonstad isn't a part of that game in game out.

Same for Houde. He had a real strong October going with 10 points in 11 games. So far in November, he has 2 points in 6 games. He's got skill as he's already had a few highlight reel goals. But like you, I'd like to see more consistency.

As for some of the Euro players from the 2018 class, I think some more context is needed for these players. For example, Romanov being an 18-year old rookie in the KHL and playing for the top team in the league and not looking out of place is a very good thing. Olofsson picked it up since coming back from injury. And Ylönen is slowly finding his way. Both Olofsson and Ylönen played in the second division last year so playing in the top league is even more of an adjustment.
I agree with you that more patience is needed. I just wished we had picked Nordgren instead of Hillis and still not sure if Romanov was the right pick after Wilde was still on board.
Either way, lets hope they all start rolling and finish strong!

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Asamu

Aug 24, 2010
Saguenay
I wanted to know if someone has any updates on Arvid Henrikson? I know that he's a defensive D so it won't help me to do follow his progression pointwise. Also, hockeydb says that he's 6'3, 178lbs while capfriendly says 6'5, 209lbs. Finally, have you guys seen any progression on his side? This pick is so intriguing...thx in advance!

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
How has Cayden Primeau looked so far this year? I know it's a small sample size but his GAA and SV% seem to have taken a small dip? Has he looked as sharp?

canadiensnation

Jun 11, 2011
GTA
How has Cayden Primeau looked so far this year? I know it's a small sample size but his GAA and SV% seem to have taken a small dip? Has he looked as sharp?
He's played alright, he had one lights out game and all the rest have been average or below average. Keep in mind they have a young defense core and not as much firepower upfront.

I wanted to know if someone has any updates on Arvid Henrikson? I know that he's a defensive D so it won't help me to do follow his progression pointwise. Also, hockeydb says that he's 6'3, 178lbs while capfriendly says 6'5, 209lbs. Finally, have you guys seen any progression on his side? This pick is so intriguing...thx in advance!

Physically he's in good shape, good skater for his size (6’-5”) but hasn't show much at all. I don't think he'll turn out to be a full time player but I also don't want to completely write him off . If anything he could become a depth AHL or full time ECHLer .

Last edited by a moderator:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Hopefully, it's just a sophomore slump.

it's early yet, but he's given up 15 goals in his last 4 games and the one game he let in only 2 was against a weaker UConn team. Some of it's been some bad rebounds, but a lot of it has been poor defensive play too, screening him, not picking up someone while on the PK. But he's near the bottom of the NCAA in goalie stats.

But we'll see how it goes for him this year, they don't need to rush him so another year in the NCAA wouldn't hurt. He's technically sound and seems very calm back there like Price in that he doesn't move around a lot, doesn't seem to show frustration. I still like him a good bit although I wanted to keep Hawkey as I said last season I thought he was our most underrate prospect and was going to have a big year. He's one of the top rated goalies so far this year.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Prospects in action today:

- Ylönen @ 11:30AM ET
- Olofsson @ 1PM ET

Coming out of their 4 Nations Tournament, we'll see if they play or are given some rest.

- Brook @ 8PM ET

- Romanov vs. Teasdale in the Russia vs. QMJHL @ 7PM ET

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Just to confirm, Ylönen is not in Pelicans' line-up today.

We'll see if Timra will give Olofsson a rest also or if they will play him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad