2018-2019 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Been awhile since we’ve been able to say this about 2, let alone 1 hab prospects.

Brook, Poehling and Suzuki are all grade AAA prospects, future is bright!! :)
Combined with Kotka, and that's a pretty special 4 guys under 20.

He is my legit top prospect from us. Very solid and in a key position too. I can see some Roman Josi in him. Amazing skater, smart and with offensive skills.
I really want to see him against men though. I feel like Suzuki's and Poehling's game is going to translate seemlessly, Brook I think will be good, but some of these rushes he makes have a CHL only feel to them. But definitely excited for him.

Last edited by a moderator:

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I really want to see him against men though. I feel like Suzuki's and Poehling's game is going to translate seemlessly, Brook I think will be good, but some of these rushes he makes have a CHL only feel to them. But definitely excited for him.
They said the samething with Subban. :)

When he played with pro during the training camp and pre season he looked like the best defensemam on ice. I don't think he would have much struggle keeping up with the play. That being said I'm not expecting immediate offensive production from him.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
They said the samething with Subban. :)

When he played with pro during the training camp and pre season he looked like the best defensemam on ice. I don't think he would have much struggle keeping up with the play. That being said I'm not expecting immediate offensive production from him.
But Subban was able to develop other aspects of his game. He’s not the puck rusher he was in junior that’s for sure. I like Brooks tools though, I think he has the shooting and passing to be an offensive threat in the NHL. But few guys are able to rush it in the NHL, which for the most part is a “half court” league.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
But Subban was able to develop other aspects of his game. He’s not the puck rusher he was in junior that’s for sure. I like Brooks tools though, I think he has the shooting and passing to be an offensive threat in the NHL. But few guys are able to rush it in the NHL, which for the most part is a “half court” league.
The simple fact he can rush the puck so easily means he can translate it to the NHL (it's an added weapon to his arsenal). If not, he still seems madly skilled for a D.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'm still having trouble getting as excited as everyone else around Poehling. We are in his third NCAA season now.. and we have yet to see his goal scoring really go anywhere. That's a part of his game that needed to develop and it just hasn't shown up.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I'm still having trouble getting as excited as everyone else around Poehling. We are in his third NCAA season now.. and we have yet to see his goal scoring really go anywhere. That's a part of his game that needed to develop and it just hasn't shown up.
He's an impressive hockey player when you watch him play. Just looking at boxscores doesn't do him justice, this is a centerman who drives the play when he's on the ice.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

He maybe doesn't belong in the same conversation as Brook, Kotka and Suzuki but he's really not that far off. For him being our 3rd best prospect, you could do a lot worse. You are right, we definitely would like to see his goal scoring take a jump. Still you're kind of misleading here. He doubled his goal scoring last year. He's not pacing well right now to improve that but your post makes it sound that there has been zero improvement since his freshman year.

I don't think it's the issue that you think it is. Now that he's looking to be our #3, it's all gravy right now anyways.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

We really dont need him to be auston matthews, we have the scoring wingers, we just need the centers that can feed them

With Poehling i cant help but get the impression "plays better with NHL players"type of guy, so i will simply wait for that day

He could very well turn out to be just a bigger Danault tho, it could happen for sure

Reactions: jaffy27

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I think Poehling is a keeper and could potentially develop as a great 2nd line center. After many views of him he has all the tools to be a top player but might lack the top end talent (vision, offensive flair, shot) to become a true top line center. I agree that his lack of goalscoring ability after being 3 years in college is a bit concerning but he is making positive impact on the ice and it's harder to score in college than in junior. It will be interesting to follow him next year when he makes the jump to the pro.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
He maybe doesn't belong in the same conversation as Brook, Kotka and Suzuki but he's really not that far off. For him being our 3rd best prospect, you could do a lot worse. You are right, we definitely would like to see his goal scoring take a jump. Still you're kind of misleading here. He doubled his goal scoring last year. He's not pacing well right now to improve that but your post makes it sound that there has been zero improvement since his freshman year.

I don't think it's the issue that you think it is. Now that he's looking to be our #3, it's all gravy right now anyways.

And this is the approach I take with him as well. He plays as our 3C and we aren't worried too much about the overall offense he can produce.

His goal totals have gone up but it's still the type of goals. We know he will get some around the net goals and plenty of goals off deflections. I was just hoping in this year that I would see him develop an adequate shot from distance that could be just enough to keep the defense and goalies honest at the next level.

I still haven't seen that skill and time is running out for me. Usually if you don't see it by now it doesn't come. He will be very valuable as a 3C if he keeps his trend and that's still a great pick at the end of the first (and not worthy of my overreaction at the draft but hey drunk, wanted Chytil and he's a Trumpkin) just am more excited with Suzuki and Brook because of their obvious raw skill which is something always missing in our pool.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016

Hes our second best prospect imo, still ahead of Brook.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
And this is the approach I take with him as well. He plays as our 3C and we aren't worried too much about the overall offense he can produce.

His goal totals have gone up but it's still the type of goals. We know he will get some around the net goals and plenty of goals off deflections. I was just hoping in this year that I would see him develop an adequate shot from distance that could be just enough to keep the defense and goalies honest at the next level.

I still haven't seen that skill and time is running out for me. Usually if you don't see it by now it doesn't come. He will be very valuable as a 3C if he keeps his trend and that's still a great pick at the end of the first (and not worthy of my overreaction at the draft but hey drunk, wanted Chytil and he's a Trumpkin) just am more excited with Suzuki and Brook because of their obvious raw skill which is something always missing in our pool.

When you say from distance, what distance from the net are you referring to ?

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

A good wrist shot from 15-20 feet would make me happy.

A top 6 centre needs to have a good shot for the reasons WTK stated.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Anywhere away from the goal mouth, honestly. When you pull his reel, when you watch him play.. he just has not beaten a goalie clean for 3 years now in the NCAA or in tournaments.

It's really hard to be a playmaker at the NHL level when no one is worried about you blowing a shot by the goalie. I'm not saying he needs to be Ovechkin, but Backstrom and Getzlaf, a heavy wrister that you can't sleep on. That's why I think he's gonna be a 3C.

It's the same criticism I had of Michael McLeod.. and it was a criticism I held against Dach this year, he needed to be a threat to score (although I knew he could score from distance and had a good shot, but you still need to use it) but he's took that to heart.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

ah you mean more specifically his shot. I see. Yeah you have a good point. I don't know, I think he could still be a middling #2C as is. I'd have to watch him more though to really say. He looks better than last year which is a good sign. Looks a bit faster and better handles. He could be a REAL luxury on a 3rd line. I mean imagine Danault ACTUALLY on a 3rd line. We'd fall in love with him again instead of griping how he's taking Kotka's spot. Poehling's upside I'm sure is higher than Danault's by a decent margin.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
When I watched Kotkaniemi play, I was able to see abilities that had me thinking he could be a 1C, and so certainly a player to look at for our 3rd OA selection.

For a guy like Romanov , I am unable to project because I have never seen him displaying an offensive ability. I have hardly seen anything of this player, mind you, so mostly it's what I read. If you went by his stat line of course you would conclude he is a pure defensive player.

But we know stat lines may or may not be indicative of what a player may do. If Romanov was in juniors and had a single assist in 20 games then we would quite rightly be thinking he is a bust. But he isnt in junior. He is in arguably the 2nd best mens league in the world , at 18, which is a great accomplishment in itself. It's a league where points are harder to come by.

And in his situation we would expect that his ability to stay in that league is based on him being able to play solid D and that offense is secondary by a mile.

Anybody able to offer an opinion on whether he has the skill set to possibly be a top 3 D, which means being able to put up some points at the NHL level.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
When I watched Kotkaniemi play, I was able to see abilities that had me thinking he could be a 1C, and so certainly a player to look at for our 3rd OA selection.

For a guy like Romanov , I am unable to project because I have never seen him displaying an offensive ability. I have hardly seen anything of this player, mind you, so mostly it's what I read. If you went by his stat line of course you would conclude he is a pure defensive player.

But we know stat lines may or may not be indicative of what a player may do. If Romanov was in juniors and had a single assist in 20 games then we would quite rightly be thinking he is a bust. But he isnt in junior. He is in arguably the 2nd best mens league in the world , at 18, which is a great accomplishment in itself. It's a league where points are harder to come by.

And in his situation we would expect that his ability to stay in that league is based on him being able to play solid D and that offense is secondary by a mile.

Anybody able to offer an opinion on whether he has the skill set to possibly be a top 3 D, which means being able to put up some points at the NHL level.

I have watched a few of his games in KHL and have watched the CAN/RUS series. I believe this kid has NHL written on him. His offensive game doesn't seem to be much, if anything. But at 18, he plays the game like a pro.

His skating alone places him in the NHL. But further than that, he's real good defensively. He can definitely lay some crushing hits (hello, Serron). He's also good on the breakout, being able to find a teammate with a pass or carry the puck out himself.

When I watch Romanov in the KHL, I'm reminded of Mete in the NHL last year. Two 18 year old rookie defensemen who skate like the wind. Mete didn't play with any complex last year, jumping up on the play and joining the rush, sometimes going deep into the offensive zone. Romanov does all of that, as well. Both won't exactly put up offensive numbers. But both young and unafraid. What Romanov has over Mete, though, is the physicality, which isn't exactly Romanov's game, but he has that in his arsenal.

Reactions: Redux91
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->